Old 03-19-2018, 03:37 PM
SDSAB

My parents saw it and loved it, but I was put off by (yes, I must admit it) Poirot's over-the-top facial hair. The train is stopped for most of the book and the previous movies, too.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Watched Lady Bird on demand last night. I'm not generally a fan of coming-of-age movies, but this one was pretty good. Laurie Metcalf was outstanding, as always.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:46 AM
SDSAB

She is excellent. Did you realize she did the voice of Andy's mom in the Toy Story movies? I see she'll be back for the new, short season of the revived Roseanne later this month.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:38 PM

I caught Tomb Raider on Sunday. A decent film that almost completely lacks flair - the dialogue just moves the plot along without letting the characters breathe. It's especially notable in Walton Goggin's character since offbeat rambling is typically what he's there to do. I liked Vikander in the role and liked the choice to show the character as an female action hero, forgoing the boobs and hot-pants version of the original.
Old 03-25-2018, 03:25 PM

Our MotW: Mr. Roosevelt.

NoŽl Wells is the lead, writer, director, etc.

A woman goes back to Austin because of the title cat and encounters her ex-boyfriend and a ton of other issues.

In a way, it reminds me of The Big Chill. But with a cat instead of Kevin Costner.

There was even one point where I expected this exchange:
"I'm going back to my novel. I'll write about this weekend."
"What were you going to write about before?"
"Last weekend."
But with "video" replacing "novel".

Some really good acting by the other actors. Esp. Nick Thune and Daniella Pineda. But the over-the-top, drama queen portrayal by Wells hurts it some.

1/2 thumbs up.
Old 03-25-2018, 03:30 PM

Isle of Dogs. We really, really liked it (not loved it...it does drag occasionally). But it's so damned original, and so interesting to look at, it makes up for any flaws.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

Finally watched I, Tonya on demand. Janney really earned that Oscar. Crazy story. I remember when it all happened, but not the details.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:33 AM

Logan Lucky, free on Amazon Prime. I really enjoyed it -- I love a good heist movie. If you liked Ocean's 11, you'll like Logan Lucky: it's basically Ocean's 11.5 (same director). There's a line in the movie that refers to the heist as "Ocean's 7-11".

Last edited by jsc1953; 03-26-2018 at 08:34 AM.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:15 AM

Last 3 I've seen:

Black Panther- I didn't expect it to live up to the hype and it surely didn't. A completely average super hero movie. Nothing really new to see. Liked it about as much as Wonder Woman, Justice League, Raganrok, etc, which is not saying much.

Annihilation- Seemed to try to set the mood and pace of The Arrival. Some interesting ideas and great production value but just didn't come together in the end or have a whole lot to say.

Tomb Raider - Watchable and about as enjoyable as Black Panther. I've played both the Square Enix video games this was roughly based on and playing the games was way more fun than watching a movie about it.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:16 AM

The latest new movie I've seen was Mute, by Duncan Jones (on Netflix). Moon was a favorite, so we were excited to see this one. It's definitely an interesting and personal movie, and I wanted to see more of the world it's set in. The details are amusing, and I'll probably rewatch just to catch more. He doesn't pre-chew content for the viewers, and I think those who went in expecting a straightforward sci-fi thriller were definitely upset.

Older movies I've watched this week: Temple Grandin (on HBO) Who doesn't love Temple Grandin? And Clare Danes did a great job. I watched To Sir with Love last night, because it was on and I can never resist it. Sidney Poitier should have won an Oscar for his role.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:18 AM

Remember Me. Rita Moreno has some adventures with her two grandsons.

Quite good film. Not one to make anybody's top 10 list but definitely worth watching, IMHO.

(There are a lot of films and TV shows with the same title. The MPAA is blocking title dupes but this film was never rated so no problem.)
Old 04-04-2018, 11:30 AM
SDSAB

My latest five:

Slumdog Millionaire
Hadn't seen it since it first came out. Not likely to be promoted by the India Tourism Bureau, but an engaging, star-crossed love story.

Toy Story 2
Sheriff Woody is kidnapped by a ruthless toy salesman, and his buddies set out to rescue him. Funny, heartwarming, and a worthy sequel to the first movie. (I think the Cheetos scene is my favorite).

Toy Story 3
Not quite as good as the first and second, I'd say, but still a pretty good movie, and it ended the series (at least for the moment) on a high note.

In Search of Fellini
A sheltered Ohio girl has her mind blown by the films of the Italian auteur, and naively sets out to meet him. A nice movie-loving romance that would be particularly appreciated by Fellini fans. Some of this movie was filmed near me, and it was fun to spot familiar sights.

The Road Movie
A collection of found footage from Russian dashcams (I guess theyíre quite common there) showing accidents, a bear in the road, a police chase, an army tank being washed, more accidents, road rage freakouts, lightning strikes, the 2013 Chelyabinsk meteor, a woman accidentally setting her own car on fire, etc. Very offbeat and interesting.
Old 04-08-2018, 08:22 AM

Outside In. Jay Duplass has been released from prison thanks to the efforts of his former teacher Edie Falco. Movie ensues.

Falco acts like Falco which is good. Duplass acts like Duplass which is bad.

Kaitlyn Dever does a quite good job as Falco's daughter. Don't remember seeing her before. Should have a good career if she avoids the stupid comparisons to Ellen Page.

At times quite sad and depressing. Setting it in the Cascade foothills east of Seattle really ups (?) the downerisms. But it has basically The Perfect Ending for this story.

(The movie has a token theater release with a simultaneous streaming release.)

The title seems wrong. Inside Out seems more apt for the topic. Wonder why they didn't go with that?

1/2 thumbs up.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:04 PM

Over this past (long) weekend:

A Quiet Place
I tend to avoid horror movies (the rhythm of suspense building to a shock, rise and repeat, isn't my cup of tea), but the premise intrigued me and the reviews promised a well made movie, so I went and it is a very well made picture, with gore only to a level necessary and very good acting all the way around. Not a profound movie, but well worth a viewing and may well prove to be one of the most memorable movies of the year.

The Miracle Season
I was expecting a by the numbers sports tale with a heavy side of religion, but, to my surprise, it was a very affecting (and effective) sports tale with a refreshing (and casually) female-centric narrative (let's face it, we expect the story of an underdog girl's volleyball team to be about the redemptive arc of the male coach or a father or other male authority figure) and only a subtle background of religion (most, but not all of the main characters are church attendees- that's it). Add in that it apparently tells true facts in its story (stay for the credit sequences) and it was an enjoyable viewing. The bottom line: I enjoyed it, but in a year you will probably have to remind me I saw it.

Finding Your Feet
A movie you'll swear you saw a couple of years ago, or maybe a few years before that, or even in the 90's. A stellar British cast of seasoned (old) actors makes you laugh and tugs on your heart. See it if you like this type of film and for the performances and the perfect final shot, but this is another one that will be hard to remember in a year.

Lean on Pete
I came in expecting another by the numbers coming of age story of a boy and his horse and got a wrenching story of hopelessness at the bottom of the rungs of our society (with some redemption as seasoning at the end). A very good movie that will stick with you due to a narrative arc that is unexpected, superb performances, and some truths that we all know but don't necessarily acknowledge in the United States. A warning for those who avoid animals in peril or that are subject to abuse during a movie- don't watch this movie. The bottom line: If this movie was released later in the year, it would be in the Oscars discussions.

You Were Never Really Here
My movie experience began a bit differently than most. I was at the early morning screening (~10:30) at a theater that always sends a member of the crew in to let the audience know the title, running time, exits, etc. So, a couple of minutes before the starting time, I hear someone say, "I'll make the announcement", then someone walks into the front of the Studio and I look up and he says to the audience, "Hi, I'm Joaquin and this is (can't remember the name), one of our producers. We'd like to thank you for choosing this movie...". So my review may be a bit tainted by elements outside the actual movie. That said, the movie is a tight, interesting noir/action film with an arresting central performance by Joaquin Phoenix. The best way to describe it is as a mix of Hardcore(74), Joe(70), and Taxi Driver(76), with a light dusting of the Parallax View(74). Worth seeing if you are a fan of hard-hitting noir stories or just want to see a strong performance by Phoenix.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:01 AM

In this year, I have watched Black Panther & Tomb Raider. These 2 movies are the best I've seen in 2018. Oh I just remember another beautiful movie, it's Wonder. This movie took my tears so much
Old 04-09-2018, 07:26 AM

Another note on Outside In.

It has the wonderful, amazing Pamela Reed in it.

For about 5 seconds.

What the what???????
Old 04-13-2018, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

Dealt, a good biopic of Richard Turner, one of the world's best card mechanics. That he does what he does without being able to see what he does is astounding. Also, he named his son Asa Spades Turner, which is sorta cool.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:55 PM

Just watched 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi

I did not want to see it. Family had it on. I still resisted. Not sure what I expected. Jingoism, political slams at the dems, 'Hillary is the Devil'....

That is not what I got. Well-directed and well paced film that depicted the chaos of battle where it was hard to tell good guys from bad guys. I was engrossed.

Also watched Fracture. Ryan Gosling and Anthony Hopkins. Well acted but silly decisions by characters and legal nonsense took me out of it.

-God
Old 04-18-2018, 07:15 AM

Crooked House, another Christie adaptation. I know, after getting burned on Murder on the Orient Express why watch this? Mrs. FtG likes these murder mysteries although I hope this will put her off the Christie ones at least.

What a mess. The usual overly long list of suspects but due to filming convenience it's clear that the murderer is one of 3 people, eventually narrowed down to 2 (see spoiler). The others are just background noise. So there's a lot of pointless "sleuthing" (that is hardly sleuthing) going on.

Christina Hendricks is wasted. Gillian Anderson is both wasted and unrecognizable.

My time was wasted.
SPOILER:
In the end, both of them turned out to be murderers.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
Crooked House, another Christie adaptation. I know, after getting burned on Murder on the Orient Express why watch this? Mrs. FtG likes these murder mysteries although I hope this will put her off the Christie ones at least.

What a mess. The usual overly long list of suspects but due to filming convenience it's clear that the murderer is one of 3 people, eventually narrowed down to 2 (see spoiler). The others are just background noise. So there's a lot of pointless "sleuthing" (that is hardly sleuthing) going on.

Christina Hendricks is wasted. Gillian Anderson is both wasted and unrecognizable.

My time was wasted.
SPOILER:
In the end, both of them turned out to be murderers.
Speaking of houses and Anderson, my wife just got Bleak House from the library, which is over six hours long. Sounds pretty bleak to me.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:10 PM

I've seen a bunch of movies lately since I'm half a cord-cutter (no more cable, but I do have streaming TV through my PS4 - I digress). My problem is generally a day after I've watched a movie, I've forgotten I've watched it. But I'll do my best. Let's see ...

Deep Water Horizon starring Marky-Mark, Malkovich, Kurt Russel, etc. I liked it. I expected it to be a basic disaster movie with big muscly heroes - and there is that - but I found it more nuanced than that. I was especially impressed with Mark Walberg's character's emotional breakdown after all was said and done.

Heartbreak Ridge. Clint Eastwood flick that's the sort of fare that I will just drop the remote when I see it's on. This time around though I purposely called it up on Netflix and then it took me four viewings to watch the whole thing because I kept falling asleep.

Doctor Detroit. A horrible comedy farce that was basically Dan Ackroyd's first blast back into movies after Belushi died. It's bad. But I loved it.

Logan - another very pleasant surprise. I have to admit, I'm a little sick of Wolverine. Origins this, Japan that, every X-man movie, every Kevin Smith movie, so I wasn't looking forward to another one, but this one hits it out of the park. Rated R Marvel movie, and that's what makes it work. Damn is it dark - and very gratuitously violent, I must say. After seeing the 75th jugular sliced in two by that little girl it got to be a little too much for me. But damn good movie.

Ouija, Origin of Evil
- I'm not typically a horror fan but this was on HBO the other day and I had the time so I watched. I don't know. Is it a good horror film? I think so. It was definitely weird and eerie and spooky, but every shock cut in the movie had me bursting out in laughter.

I think there were some others I've seen lately that are slipping my mind.

Last edited by Jack Batty; 04-18-2018 at 02:11 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:39 AM

MotW: Kodachrome on Netflix.

The usual dying guy/estranged son/convenient love interest road trip thing.

Just well acted, well written, etc. So not so usual.

The trip premise: physically take some Kodachrome rolls to the last developer just before it runs out of "dyes" to process them. So you know how that all goes.

Pretty good but could have been better. Could have been a lot worse. Also: Wendy Crewson!
Old 04-23-2018, 02:46 AM

I Just watched A Quiet Place and I swear that I could not sleep in midnight, I even could not speak .
Old 04-23-2018, 04:05 AM

Saw Isle of Dogs, a stop motion current release by Wes Anderson. The concept is that in a fantasy Japan, a corrupt political movement spreads multiple, non-fatal, canine plagues, and convinces the general population to send all the nationís dogs to a trash-dump island a few miles from the mainland.

It was good. A-minus or a low Grade-A. Iím not a major Anderson fanóHis disfunctional family films leave me cold, but Budapest Hotel was delightful, and his earlier animation, Fantastic Mr. Fox, was just fine. I liked Dogs better than Fox.

The stop motion is more charming than amazing. The plot has some Anderson-esque quirkiness, with several characters making sudden personality changes. If you love dogs, youíll almost certainly like the film. Interestingly, although the evil political movement is affiliated with Cats, the movie doesnít actively portray felines as evil; there are no major cat characters, and cats donít talk in this film.
Old 05-05-2018, 09:34 AM

Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool.

A must-see film if you are an Annette Bening fan. (And if you're not a fan, what's the matter with you?)

Based somewhat* on the true story of the final years of Oscar winner Gloria Grahame**.

Bening is great in it. The other people just sort of are there for the most part. In particular, Julie Walters is wasted. Vanessa Redgrave has a very small part. Some of the actors go too far over the top with their accents. May as well be mumbling.

Lots of jumping around in time. Just too much and done poorly for little reason.

I give it 3 stars, all due to Bening.

* They made some changes to "simplify" things. Ugh.

** To give you an idea about Grahame's weirdness. Her fourth marriage was to the son of her 2nd husband. That husband divorced her due to finding them in bed together ... when the son was 13.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:00 PM
SDSAB

My most recent five:

Phantom Thread
Gorgeous, very well-acted tale of a control-freak fashion designer in Fifties London and his new model and muse. They become lovers and quite a bit more to each other. The movie gets seriously (and, I thought, implausibly) weird in the last act, but is still worth seeing.

Avengers: Infinity War
Fun, action-packed superhero adventure. I didn't think they could give so many characters so much to do, but everyone gets their moment in the spotlight, and it all works surprisingly well.

Did You Wonder Who Fired the Gun
Disappointing documentary about a racist's murder of an innocent black man in 1946 small-town Alabama. Seems like the filmmaker (grandson of the alleged killer) had about ten minutes worth of home movies and other footage, and then just padded it out as much as he possible could.

Hitler vs. Picasso
Another disappointing documentary, this one about the Nazis' widespread theft of art during WWII. Interesting topic but not at all a gripping movie - I actually nodded off several times. Too bad.

Sleeper
Very funny Woody Allen sf spoof, about a nebbishy guy defrosted after centuries in suspended animation and asked to join an uprising against a bungling totalitarian state. My favorite bit: Allen, in a panic, orders his tiny, utterly unthreatening robot dog ("Woof woof! Hello, I'm Rags") to attack an intruder.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:17 PM

Thor: Ragnorak Entertaining MCU film, continuing the story of Valhalla. Not particularly innovative in terms of storytelling or filmmaking, but worthwhile,

Victoria and Abdul The more-or-less true story of the friendship between Queen Victoria (Judi Dench) and her Indian servant Abdul Karim. Enjoyable and well-produced, in the grand style of British historical films.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:42 PM

Just watched Dunkirk on HBO.

I was ....disappointed. They had bits of the horror of war but could not convey the scope. Doesn't seem to measure up to other WWII films.

And it was, well......disjointed. The horror of war, it sucks, it sucks, just when you think it can't suck any worse it does, then.....TRIUMPH!!!!!

-God
Old 05-22-2018, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

Bilbo Baggins and the Zombie War! Otherwise known as a new Netflix film called Cargo, starring Martin Freeman sporting a mild Aussie accent, shouting "FUCK!" at appropriate moments while struggling through the Outback with a baby on his back and dealing with Aborigine mysticism. I'm only halfway through this, and it's entertaining enough. Not sure where it's headed (hahahaha!) though.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:00 PM

Avengers: Infinity War - I saw it a couple of weeks ago with my daughter. I wasn't quite up on all the other MCU movies but she told me all needed to know was the end of Thor: Ragnorok, which I hadn't seen, so she spoilered it for me. Great movie, but I literally said, "What the fuck," at the end. I wasn't expecting suck an Empires Strikes Back ending.

Thor: Ragnarok - after seeing Avengers, I rented this, but I fell asleep halfway through (because I was tired, not bored) and I haven't gone back to it yet.

And then there's Hobo With a Shotgun, starring Rutger Hauer in the title role. I can't recommend it highly enough if you're into pretty much the sickest shit you're likely to see in a mainstream movie. Dialogue that will curdle your milk and special effects that will singe your nose hairs. It's awesome.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:25 PM

Watched Goodbye Christopher Robin. The story of the Milnes and the origin of the Winnie the Pooh stuff.

It had been on my "maybe" list for some time. The reviews are sort of lukewarm.

But it was really quite good for the most part. Definitely enjoyed it.

Some problems: They do a pointless WWII "framing" thing at the beginning and end. Since there's already flashbacks to A.A.'s WWI terrors, this does not help. Plus, it's misleading. Just ignore those parts.

While I am routinely astounded by child actors, I wasn't this time. Will Tilston, who plays the ~8 year old C.R. and is in most of the movie just isn't up to it.

Margot Robbie is great ... and heartless.

Give it 4 Eeyores.

Oh, didn't post about Professor Marston and The Wonder Women. Marston invented a lie detector and Wonder Woman ... and lived with two women he fathered children with. And more. Okay film. Just amazed over and over how they managed to "get away" for the most part with their non-standard 30s-40s lifestyle.

Bella Heathcote did an especially good job. A completely transparent enigma.

Give it 3 lassos of truth.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:02 PM

Finally watched Captain America, Civil War. Got it from the library. I was bored the first third of it, but then, when Wakanda entered the picture, I got interested. I realized that, eventually, I need to watch ALL of the MCU movies in order, even the ones that didn't, initially, interest me.

(I am one of those freaks who has to read every book in a series in order)

Watched Black Panther via iTunes. Enjoyed it very much. Yes, the plot was predictable, but the sets and settings so very beautiful, and it is fun to imagine the existence of such a place, and a leader like T'Challa.

I am hoping to actually get the time off to go watch Infinity War in the theatre.

(Life circumstances are stressful enough at present that I am only watching fun movies. When stress lets up, I will perhaps watch serious cinema again. Until then, watching the final battle scene from Thor Ragnarok makes me happy and helps me keep on keeping on.)
Old 05-22-2018, 05:25 PM

My Cousin Rachel, on HBO. Based on a Daphne du Maurier novel, it's one of those "is she evil? Or is he crazy?" stories. But kind of turgid and lifeless (although pretty to look at), and by the end, I just really didn't give a damn.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:28 AM

Lucky. The late, great Harry Dean Stanton as an old dude with old dude problems.

Pretty good film, a nice one to more or less go out on.

Some good supporting actors. One surprise was the guy playing barfly Paulie. I knew that face from somewhere. Indeed, quite well known back when. But clearly overdone with plastic surgery. See IMDb link for spoiler on that.

Tom Skerritt plays a fellow WWII vet, but clearly much younger than HDS. Was 12 in real life when it ended. All my family's WWII vets are gone, so I guess Hollywood is running out of suitable age actors to play current vets.

HDS's service history as a Navy cook on an LST was used as Lucky's backstory. Nice to know.

Give it 4 stomach bursters.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:48 PM
SDSAB

Heh. Nice to see Stanton and Skerritt together again - they were both in Alien!
Old 05-28-2018, 07:27 PM

I just got finished watching the Netflix original, Mute, starring Paul Rudd and Alexander Skarsgard. I didn't understand a single thing in it. Seriously, it's some time in the future and Rudd's a doctor trying to get out of Germany. He's a caring dad, but he's also a killer, and there's a mute guy with a girlfriend who then disappears for the whole movie only to turn up dead at the climax of the movie because of ... reasons, I'm sure. There's another doctor who's a pedophile but he's good guy somehow until he's not a good guy and he's killed by the mute.

Seriously. I have no clue what this movie was about.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:33 PM

Oh, to further seal my, "are you that out of touch?" cred ... I just now learned that director Duncan Jones (who also directed Moon) is David Bowie's son.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:23 AM

MotW: Alex & Eve. An Aussie film. Labeled a romcom but not so much.

Compared to My Big Fat Greek Wedding by critics, but to be fair really more of an Abie's Irish Rose premise.

He's Greek Orthodox, she's Lebanese Muslim. Both with families from hell. The latter significantly dilutes the "com" part.

Decent enough film. Mrs. FtG really liked it.

2 and a half baklavas.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:01 AM

Saw Deadpool 2. Not as fresh but a good movie (8/10)
Saw Solo. Unnecessary movie but decent (7/10).
Old 05-29-2018, 03:13 PM

Two recents that I wasn't expecting to get sucked into. Both very different.

I Kill Giants
Compelling story of coping with loss, literally adapted panel for panel from a comic book. Well acted and commands attention.

Game Night
Wasn't expecting much but was surprised by the rare blend of comedy, thriller, and action. Not even my type of humor but still had fun.

Last edited by anamnesis; 05-29-2018 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-01-2018, 02:26 PM

Cannot recommend Spotlight highly enough.

Dreadful subject. Incredibly well made film. I was engrossed in it from the opening scene. I have watched it several times on Netflix.

-God
Old 06-01-2018, 03:08 PM

Saw Annihilation last night. I cared not for it. Okay set-up and I had no issues with the predominantly female cast, but overall it was slow and quiet, with a lack of narrative urgency, too many inconsistencies left unexplained and a profusion of random CG at the climax which did not compensate. It wasn't even that well-shot despite the colorful mutated swamp locations. I thought the CG-gator gave the best performance.
Old 06-03-2018, 06:05 PM

I watched Wanted on Netflix

OK, I can suspend my disbelief in to buying that milquetoast account is actually a born assassin. Even that they can shoot bullets around corners. But when they try to get to believe that the bad guy can keep up with them in a stolen deliver van when they are driving a 100,000 sports car.......fuck you. I'm out.

-God
Old 06-04-2018, 07:45 AM

MotW: The Tale (HBO). Based on a real life story (for real, real this time).

Laura Dern is a woman coming to grips with something Very Evil that happened to her when she was 13.

Lots of ick due to topic. Not exactly a laugh fest. But well done not just technically but also in terms of suitable handling of the topic.

Lots of great actresses: Elizabeth Debicki, Ellen Burstyn, Frances Conroy, Laura Allen*.

* Am I ever going to get over the cancellation of Terriers?
Old 06-06-2018, 10:35 AM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

Holy shit deadpool 2 was awesome. 9/10. These Deadpool movies are far better than the other Marvel superhero movies. The other ones (avengers, black panther, thor, etc) are decent but nothing special.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:58 AM

Survivors Guide to Prison

Quote:
Today, you're more likely to go to prison in the United States than anywhere else in the world. So in the unfortunate case it should happen to you - this is the Survivors Guide to Prison.
Saw this on Netflix. Engrossing and very disturbing.

Not just about prison, but the arrest, bail, what to do in jail etc....

Every poster in this thread should see it.

-God
Old 06-07-2018, 01:01 PM
SDSAB

My most recent five:

Blade Runner 2049
Saw it for a second time on the big screen - a worthy successor to the original, which has long been a favorite of mine. Ryan Gosling is excellent as a replicant cop, and it's great to see Harrison Ford return to the Deckard role. Terrific production design of a fully-realized, high-tech, dystopic L.A.

Restored Laurel & Hardy Shorts
A collection of black and white comedy shorts starring the one-fat one-skinny, one-American one-British pair of comedians. Very funny. The best part was "Brats," where L&H play (thanks to different costumes and a duplicate studio set with oversized furniture) both themselves and their bratty sons.

Vincent van Gogh: A New Way of Seeing
A very well-done, beautiful documentary on the artist, his troubled personal life and his amazing paintings, now among the most valuable in the world (although he sold very few during his own lifetime). Highly recommended.

12 Days
A documentary about how French courts handle cases involving the mentally ill, who are entitled to hearings after 12 days if involuntarily committed. One very sympathetic man in Paris, we learn only at the end of his appearance before a judge, killed his own father.

Deadpool 2
Like the first one (which I'd say is a little better), it's very funny, really raunchy, incredibly violent, and breaks the fourth wall at every opportunity. Two thumbs up.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post

Restored Laurel & Hardy Shorts
A collection of black and white comedy shorts starring the one-fat one-skinny, one-American one-British pair of comedians. Very funny. The best part was "Brats," where L&H play (thanks to different costumes and a duplicate studio set with oversized furniture) both themselves and their bratty sons.
Brats has one of my favorite lines of all time that I use on my kids all the time - the adult Laurel and/or Hardy (can't remember which) saying to their kid versions: "If you have to make a noise, make it quietly!"
Old 06-12-2018, 07:25 AM

MotW: Fits and Starts with Wyatt Cynac.

He's a stuck writer, meanwhile his girlfriend is becoming a quite successful writer. Most centers about their attempt to go to a "salon" party in Connecticut.

FWIW, these are two people who should have never been together. But nobody asked me.

Somewhat amusing here and there. Not a major deal. Okay if you don't have something better to watch. Cynac is good. Maria Dizzia does a nice job as a wacky agent.

Rating: Two and a half wine-like bottles.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:16 PM

Tom and Hick. Mid 90's dreck from Disney.

All white, beautiful people, which makes it very hard to believe. But what I loved is that it's set, more or less, on Tom Sawyer Island in Disneyland.

Tom Sawyer Island (now Pirate Island), never made sense to me as a kid. It didn't relate very well to the books "Tom Sawyer" or "Huck Finn". But now there's a movie (or there was, around 1995). I watched the movie and thought -- this is what the island is about --. Ok, normally you expect Disneyland to be about the movie, rather than a movie referencing Disneyland, but it worked just as well in reverse.

Tom Sawyer is badly cast, as is his Aunt. The Huck Finn character works well, in spite of being a re-imagination. There is real tension in the film: it's not Old Yeller, and it's badly cast, but it works as a film.