Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 06:30 AM
Charter Member

Threatened with legal action over a 2007 post!

I received a private message from a person I pitted in 2007:

Quote:
Originally Posted by minklerm
Michael Minkler

Equipoise,
I demand that you remove your hateful and harmful comments that you made about me on this site on March 4, 2007.
I have just recently become aware of them because they have made there up the Google ladder to front page position.
You don't know me or the situation.
Your attacks are causing harm to my reputation.
If you do not act immediately, legal action will follow.

Michael Minkler
I don't know whether to be amused, frightened, or pissed off. I alternate mainly between amused and pissed off. I suppose the admins couldn't say if they've heard from this clown, but what's been the SOP for legal threats over posts in the past? Can this jerk actually get a thread removed and/or initiate legal action based on the opinion of someone via a message board post?

He had someone else try to get me to delete the post a few weeks ago. On March 13, I got this private message:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidib
Inflammatory post

Hi. I came across a post of yours from March 1st, 2007 Re: the Oscar winner race for Best Sound. Wow. Is it because you wrote it at 3AM and that's why it's so outrageous? Do you know these people personally? I do. They have been friends and co-workers for decades and their sense of humor is the basis for that incident. And they both want your post removed. You spend a great deal of your post heralding the career of Kevin...he wants it gone. He said, "It's creepy and this person sounds unhinged."
I am certain you are not like that at all. Your posts are fun & engaging and you have incredible perspective and taste. Why tarnish your online reputation by bashing others in a violent and feverish manner?

I admire your passion for film and I have fun insider movie fodder that I could share with you. But I need to know you are reasonable and won't use the information in a negative fashion.
BTW, there is an article on Director Lars Von Trier in the new issue of TIME. Even if you are not a fan, it is rather insightful.
Let's chat.
In both cases I told them that a poster could not delete their own posts. I didn't engage with them beyond that.

Hey, it's not my fault it's so high in Google searches. Blame Google.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:41 AM

...this is irrelevant to the question you asked (which is a good one) but are you sure you were contacted by the real Michael Minkler?
Old 04-27-2014, 07:15 AM
Charter Member

Of course not, but I have no reason to doubt it either. What, it's his mom? Maybe his mom wrote the first one.

I'm asking around on Twitter and elsewhere to see if this guy has threatened anyone else with legal action.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equipoise View Post
What, it's his mom? Maybe his mom wrote the first one.
The IM was from "heidib" and he is associated with a Heidi B Myers so if it was someone impersonating him they went to extra effort to make it all appear realistic.

He stands almost no chance of having an opinion about him taken offline and sure didn't do much to help himself by reviving the issue after over 7 years passed.

He would have better luck contacting Google (and by better luck I mean they won't do it either, but he won't be bugging us) Even if he somehow managed to threaten his way into having it taken off the Dope or even Google it would still live forever in the internet archives, bloggers and rebloggers, clone sites that repost all the messages here, etc.

It is part of internet history now that someone thought he acted like an asshole at the 2007 Oscars. He's just going to have to carry on somehow despite this.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyhorse View Post
The IM was from "heidib" and he is associated with a Heidi B Myers so if it was someone impersonating him they went to extra effort to make it all appear realistic.
By "associated," you mean married (2008), right?
Old 04-27-2014, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicat View Post
By "associated," you mean married (2008), right?
Yes. I heard he stole her from Kevin O'Connell too.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:36 AM

If they haven’t contacted the site about this, then I wouldn’t worry about it. AFter all, as you have stated, you have no control over what is posted after it’s done and no ability to have a posting removed. ALso, if this person was serious they would send a “lawyer letter” to your home address and make their intent clear.

As long the posting wasn’t libelous and the same information can be found on other sites or other places on the Internet, I wouldn’t worry about it. I would ignore it until either Straight Dope contacts you about the posting or you receive a notification offline.

Then I would suggest having a brief chat with an attorney with regard to your options.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyhorse View Post
Of course they did. Why wouldn't they? You can't troll someone effectively if it's easy to see through the troll.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

The Streisand Effect should kick in soon, and this thread will keep the original pitting high on the Google list.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
When you say a "private message" do you mean that he is now signed up here at the SDMB, or do you just mean an email or something?

This Michael Minkler guy (who I never heard of before today) is certainly showing himself to be an incredible and ongoing asshole!
Old 04-27-2014, 09:55 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by njtt View Post
When you say a "private message" do you mean that he is now signed up here at the SDMB, or do you just mean an email or something?
And aren't members threatening to sue anyone here automatically banned? Or is that just when they threaten to sue the Board itself?

EDIT: Plus how would he find you to sue you?

Last edited by Siam Sam; 04-27-2014 at 09:58 AM.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for all the entertaining replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njtt View Post

This Michael Minkler guy (who I never heard of before today) is certainly showing himself to be an incredible and ongoing asshole!
Yes indeed, a Private Message here at the SDMB. I never bothered to do this until now, but I just clicked on their usernames and got this:

Quote:
Total Posts: 0
Posts Per Day: 0
Find all posts by minklerm
Find all threads started by minklerm

General Information

Last Activity: Yesterday 06:21 PM
His wife's (? Thanks for that info Crazyhorse and musicat!) info when I clicked on her name:

Quote:
Total Posts: 0
Posts Per Day: 0
Find all posts by heidib
Find all threads started by heidib

General Information

Last Activity: 03-13-2014 02:28 PM
So they both joined just to send me a Private Message. Huh. If they're banned it's not as if either one would care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzbre5m View Post
Maybe, Equipoise, he'll just make you sound really really bad in your next movie?
So THAT'S what happened to Charlie Brown's teacher! The actress must have pissed him off somehow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethilrist View Post
What's the statute of limitations on calling somebody an utter and complete bastard? It's been seven years...
Good question. That info could come in handy for everybody who has called somebody a bastard or an asshole on the internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajario View Post
It might just be time to go to a forum, like reddit, that a huge percentage of the population actually reads and let everyone know that Michael Minkler is a massive asshole.
I don't know anything about reddit. Where would I even start? I certainly would like as many people as possible to know about this. It's one of those great internet "WTF?" moments. Well, not so great, kinda pathetic really, but it is amusing. I would like him to be remembered both for his quotes about Kevin O'Connell AND that he threatened legal action over a silly message board post. 7 years after the fact. And that he got his wife to try and bribe the thread starter with juicy Hollywood gossip. I do wonder what she might have told me if I'd taken the bait. Nobody in Hollywood is safe telling her any secrets! I still wouldn't have been able to delete the thread even if I cared about gossip regarding the Hollywood community, which I generally don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
Hard to believe that Minkler could be moronic enough to dredge up interest in this after 7 years. Maybe a fan (even the most obscure figures in movies could have fans, I suppose)?
If so, what a fan eh? A Superfan. There'd have to be two fans though, unless minklerm is a sock for heidib.

Don't count Minkler out in the "moronic" department though. He may be a brilliant sound guy (seriously, I respect his skill tremendously) but the two can go hand in hand.

Siam Sam, thanks for the offer. I'll pass, but I'll keep it in mind for future reference.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:00 PM

Hope you get a letter.
And it demands reparations.
I'm thinking "a shrubbery" would be just recompense.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

Seems to me that you didn't even really say anything that bad about him, either. It was other sites and reporters that you quoted, who witnessed him do it and brought it up first, that were at the core of your post.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:14 AM

Coulda been worse, he coulda threatened illegal action.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:49 AM

Hard to believe that Minkler could be moronic enough to dredge up interest in this after 7 years. Maybe a fan (even the most obscure figures in movies could have fans, I suppose)?

If it's any comfort, the OP is still way behind this guy when it comes to receiving vacuous legal threats.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:03 AM

Maybe, Equipoise, he'll just make you sound really really bad in your next movie?
Old 04-27-2014, 11:43 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dba Fred View Post
Coulda been worse, he coulda threatened illegal action.
The OP could offer to meet Minkler in Bangkok, then I could have a motorcycle taxi driver take it from there. I haven't lived here this long without knowing how to have a motorcycle taxi driver, er, "take care of things."
Old 04-27-2014, 11:56 AM

Read this: So You've Been Threatened With A Defamation Suit.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
If it's any comfort, the OP is still way behind this guy when it comes to receiving vacuous legal threats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctnguy View Post
Thanks for these Jackmannii and ctnguy. Very entertaining reading.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

It might just be time to go to a forum, like reddit, that a huge percentage of the population actually reads and let everyone know that Michael Minkler is a massive asshole.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1gSLLzRmIhQ

Here is video of the incident. Anyone can decide for themselves.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:19 AM

What's the statute of limitations on calling somebody an utter and complete bastard? It's been seven years...
Old 04-27-2014, 11:54 AM
BANNED

Did this person who may or may not be Minkler's wife really offer Equipoise inside Hollywood information in exchange for deleting her post?

Quote:
I admire your passion for film and I have fun insider movie fodder that I could share with you. But I need to know you are reasonable and won't use the information in a negative fashion.
That's just gross. And her characterization of the incident doesn't match the apology that Minkler allegedly put out after the controversy.

Quote:
They have been friends and co-workers for decades and their sense of humor is the basis for that incident.
Contrast with his reported apology here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minkler's reported apology from 2007
The press has been asking me questions about Kevin since 2002. They continue to hound me with the same questions again and again, and this time I lost control, using bad choices of words and bitter sarcasm.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdosain View Post
Did this person who may or may not be Minkler's wife really offer Equipoise inside Hollywood information in exchange for deleting her post?
Yes! I peeped that, too. Hahaha! She tried to bribe her!

Quote:
That's just gross. And her characterization of the incident doesn't match the apology that Minkler allegedly put out after the controversy.

In the actual article, he goes on to say that he was attempting humor.

I would be excited if I had an Oscar winner PMing me with threats of suing over a pitting. That's awesome.

Last edited by Nzinga, Seated; 04-27-2014 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzinga, Seated View Post
Yes! I peeped that, too. Hahaha! She tried to bribe her!
Pssst! Equipoise! You want to know which sound mixer is [slide whistle] the [boing] of married sound engineer [honk honk]? Delete your post and I'll tell you! [Wolf whistle]

Quote:
In the actual article, he goes on to say that he was attempting humor.
That's true. The whole "apology" didn't make a lot of sense. It's the media's fault, I snapped, I was trying to be funny. Kind of like a shotgun apology.

Quote:
I would be excited if I had an Oscar winner PMing me with threats of suing over a pitting. That's awesome.
Don't give Meryl Streep any ideas. She's dying to sue someone.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:29 PM

Is this an SDMB first? A public figure threatening to sue because they're cheesed over an unflattering post?
Old 04-27-2014, 01:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
My thanks to the SDMB, this is such an honor! I'd also like to thank my fellow Pitters, who make life entertaining on a daily basis. Thank you to my friends and family, especially my wonderful husband. I couldn't have done it without you babe! If I had a manager, an agent and a laywer, I'd thank them too. Most of all, I'd like to thank Google, for putting my Pitting in Michael Minkler's face (well, after someone else brought it to his attention). You're creepy and I try not to use your Search Engine if I can help it, but you bought YouTube, and for that I'll be forever grateful! In'n'Out Burger, here I come!
Old 04-27-2014, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
<snip>
Quote:
<snip>
Let's chat.
She's coming on to you, Dude. Watch out!
Old 04-27-2014, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

Truman Burbank, unfortunately I'd have to steal a shrubbery out of a neighbor's yard. They would notice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicat View Post
She's coming on to you, Dude. Watch out!
Well, I'm not a lesbian, or even bisexual, so she would have no luck there. I really wish I knew what was in her mind. What was she willing to tell me? Now I have Erdosain's sound effects running through my brain, like a sound earworm. Thanks a lot Erdosain!
Old 04-27-2014, 02:53 PM

"Truman Burbank, unfortunately I'd have to steal a shrubbery out of a neighbor's yard. They would notice."

It's lawsuits all the way down!
Old 04-27-2014, 02:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Well, I'm not a lesbian, or even bisexual, so she would have no luck there. I really wish I knew what was in her mind. What was she willing to tell me? Now I have Erdosain's sound effects running through my brain, like a sound earworm. Thanks a lot Erdosain!
I just assume all sound mixers communicate solely in suggestive sound effects. If I'm wrong, I don't want to find out.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

Oy. You didn't read that Ken White (Popehat) post very carefully, did you? Did you not notice the multiple times he mentions "Don't do anything, don't write anything, speak to a lawyer if you can"?

I'm not talking about posting this thread in the first place, because you apparently didn't do any research beforehand and thus didn't realize that doing stuff like this is inadvisable. But now I see that you didn't just post this thread -- you bumped the freakin' thread in question by adding the content of their private messages to you.

(Honestly, posting the private messages here was a weird choice if you were really worried about a lawsuit -- did you consider just emailing Tubadiva or CK Dexter Haven? More fun for us to post this stuff in public, but still, not a great instinct.)

I'm not saying it's not interesting for all of us to read, but if you were really worried about a suit, taking things public and then adding an accelerant to the flames is not the wisest move. Not because I think they have a case--I don't believe they do (however, IANAL)--but because it's pointless to provoke more attention before you have all your legal ducks in a row. I hope other people will think twice if anything like this happens to them.

I run a message board and have had this stuff happen to me. Never been sued, it all worked out in the end. But personal, non-lawyerly advice to anyone who's in such a situation is always to sit tight, contact a lawyer if possible, and certainly don't publicize or antagonize the issue any further. After the fact, once you know you're in good legal standing, including the publicizing of private messages? Air the truth.

Just a recommendation from someone who's been in this situation.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

Oh, my bad. On closer reading I see that first you bumped the very thread that you feared might get you in legal trouble, and then you doubled down by posting this new thread here six hours later, still worried that you might be in legal trouble. I don't think you were actually all that worried.

Okiedoke. Have at it, then!
Old 04-27-2014, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choie View Post
I don't think you were actually all that worried.
No, I'm not worried. Not even after this Private Message I just received:

Quote:
Originally Posted by minklerm
My lawyers are talking to the webmaster.
How about an apology for your 4am damaging ignorant rant.
Ooooh, I'm so scared! If I should be worried about this, then we ALL should be worried.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:13 PM
Gormless Wienie
Charter Member

We have received a communication from an individual representing himself as the injured party. I'm closing this thread pending further discussion. A threat of legal action involving this board is no laughing matter. Please don't make additional posts on this subject.

Last edited by Ed Zotti; 04-27-2014 at 04:15 PM. Reason: fixed typo
Old 04-27-2014, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

The truth is an absolute defense against libel. And the truth is, minklerm acted like an ungrateful asshole with a chip on his shoulder.

The rest is merely opinion. It is my opinion that not only did he act like an asshole, his follow up actions indicate that in real life, he is an asshole. Good thing opinions are protected.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:32 PM

Would love to see what's going to be kicking around the mod loop about this one.
Odd, weird and strange behavior from a Hollywood "insider" completely clueless about how the rest of the world functions.
Closed Thread