Old 01-13-2019, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

I want to get a custom tweed jacket or suit - where should I go?

I have been very satisfied getting some off-the-rack suits from Men's Wearhouse which were adjusted, but I want a tweed jacket, maybe an entire suit. I was prepared to spend $1,000 or so at Men's Wearhouse for a custom suit, but they discontinued the tweeds I liked.

So can anyone recommend anywhere else for a custom tweed jacket or suit?

I specify custom because of my shape and size it's hard to find things off the rack, but if you know of places that make larger sizes, maybe I'll go for that.

What do you think?
Old 01-13-2019, 02:41 PM
born to be shunned

The last time (ap 1985-86) I got custom tweed it was a modern-made copy of a 1920s flyfishing coat; went through a firm on Bond Street in London - I believe their trade/finished goods label was "The Range". The cost wasn't that bad at all. I would check more with "mom & pop" type tailors or old-school shops if I was looking to do the same thing today.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
I have been very satisfied getting some off-the-rack suits from Men's Wearhouse which were adjusted, but I want a tweed jacket, maybe an entire suit. I was prepared to spend $1,000 or so at Men's Wearhouse for a custom suit, but they discontinued the tweeds I liked.
Why don't you ask them if one of their sister chains (likely one more upmarket) is now doing them?
Old 01-13-2019, 04:37 PM

It kind of depends where you live and how much you want to pay. I happen to like Brooks Brothers and there are lots of them around the country, but I'm pretty sure it will run well over $1,000. A local tailor might be a considerably cheaper option, but be sure they've actually made clothing before as opposed to just repairing it, and ask to see examples.

Regarding your being difficult to fit--what about buying a suit you like (if you can find one) and having it tailored to fit? Lots of stores will do this for free, and they should if you're dropping $1000 on a suit. Or again, take it to a trusted local tailor. I suspect that will be less expensive than a custom-made suit.

Last edited by TSBG; 01-13-2019 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:58 PM

I had good experience purchasing custom shirts at indochino.com. They also do suits.