Old 01-14-2019, 11:43 AM

TV series w/ most believable interpersonal interactions/dialogue

My wife and I didn't catch Friday Night Lights when it was on, and are binging it now. Really enjoying it.

We both have realized that just about every episode there will be a couple of instances where characters will interact in ways that strike us as spot on - exactly how we have interacted with each other, our kids, friends, etc. That is not to say that there aren't MANY aspects of the show which VASTLY differ from our experiences. But there are so many times when the husband and wife will be talking about something at home or work, and the way they look at each or respond to each other just strikes us as extremely believable.

Same with when they interact with their daughter. Or when the HS kids interact.

I think it must be quite a challenge - to make interpersonal interactions believable - yet entertaining. Can't imagine anyone would be interested in viewing a realistic portrayal of our personal life!

Any one else have that reaction to FNL? Or did you think the portrayals in FNL entirely unbelievable?

Any other TV shows in which you think they really nailed the interaction.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:33 PM

Barney Miller

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 01-14-2019 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Fixed coding
Old 01-14-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Barney Miller
NYPD Blue
Old 01-14-2019, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale View Post
Any one else have that reaction to FNL? Or did you think the portrayals in FNL entirely unbelievable?
I watched that show as it aired, and articles in various places praised it for the way it portrayed the relationship between the coach and Mrs Coach. The Wikipedia article quotes Alan Sepinwall, "Few shows are as willing to so directly confront the emotions of its characters, aided by central performances ó as one of TVís most realistic and loving couples ó from Chandler and Connie Britton."

(BTW, as you get to the second season, you'll see a plotline involving Tyra Collette and Landry Clarke that may seem out of place. People at the time thought this was an unfortunate plotline.)
Old 01-14-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Barney Miller
King of the Hill
Old 01-14-2019, 02:33 PM

Any of the great ensemble comedies. "Barney Miller" (already mentioned) is a great example. I'd add "WKRP in Cincinnati", "Newsradio", and "Seinfeld".

In drama series' the bar gets a bit higher. There are shows that I like, but have to leave out just because of how "quippy" they are. IRL, people generally don't have snappy comebacks available at all times. I'd go with "Kojak", "Hill Street Blues", and "The Waltons".
Old 01-14-2019, 03:54 PM

People are probably going to screech, but the first few seasons of "Big Bang Theory" did a great job of portraying how a close group of dorky male friends acts, at least among Howard, Raj and Leonard.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:05 PM

I've only just watched The Wire and thought the dialogue was particularly naturalistic. Especially the jokes, which don't sound 'written' but like plausible banter.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:11 PM

According to a firefighter/paramedic friend, Rescue Me was spot on.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
I watched that show as it aired, and articles in various places praised it for the way it portrayed the relationship between the coach and Mrs Coach. The Wikipedia article quotes Alan Sepinwall, "Few shows are as willing to so directly confront the emotions of its characters, aided by central performances ó as one of TVís most realistic and loving couples ó from Chandler and Connie Britton."

(BTW, as you get to the second season, you'll see a plotline involving Tyra Collette and Landry Clarke that may seem out of place. People at the time thought this was an unfortunate plotline.)
It's really hard for shows that continue on over multiple seasons to avoid that. I thought a number of plot lines in later seasons of FNL were more of a stretch from reality than the plot lines in the first season. But it remained a really good show IMO.

We also watched it relatively recently at one episode per night with no pause between seasons, the way we generally 'binge' older TV shows. It's still a bit different than waiting a week between episodes and also from waiting however many months between seasons.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:17 PM

"Parenthood" did one thing with dialog that was realistic - when there was a gathering of people they would actually show multiple people talking at once rather than the one-at-a-time thing that makes so many filmed conversations seem unnatural.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnowItAll View Post
...There are shows that I like, but have to leave out just because of how "quippy" they are. IRL, people generally don't have snappy comebacks available at all times...
This is what ruined M*A*S*H for me in later seasons. It became non-stop zingers. To the ear it sounds so...written.

mmm
Old 01-15-2019, 06:40 AM
Charter Member

Detectorists.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:14 AM

The Rockford Files
Old 01-15-2019, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

Curb Your Enthusiasm.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Hill Street Blues.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Yeah, that was pretty BS, but at least they resolved it quickly and neatly and never referred to it again. Lots of the plot elements are unrealistic - how did Riggins and Street get to NYC, w/ Riggins missing playoff practices? - exactly how young were ALL of these characters since they didn't graduate until the 3d season? - why does no one mention the existence of Jr Colleges or loans? - How does Riggs afford to put gas in his truck or pay for all that beer? - etc ad infinitum. But even amid all that, there will be a verbal exchange - or just looks - between a couple of characters that allows me to look past all that.

We just finished up S3. Set up for an interesting S4 - tho I don't know what they are going to do for main characters. But, if I wanted to take part in a thread about this show, I shoulda watched it when it came out.