Old 01-14-2019, 08:58 AM

Dark Crystal: Age of Resitance

Is anyone else excited to see this? Netflix is making a prequel series to the original 80s movie. They’re using puppets again, no CGI. The three major gelfling protagonists are voiced by Taron Edgerton, Anya Taylor-Joy(the girl from Split) and Nathalie Emmanuel(Missandei from GoT). Alicia Vikander and Helena Bonham Carter are also voicing gelfling characters and Mark Hammil is voicing a skesis.

Here is a first look and here is the home page where you can brush up on your Dark Crystal lore. The series comes out sometime this year, possible this fall.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:12 AM

Yeah I hope it's good!
Old 01-14-2019, 11:01 AM

I'm very interested, and I'm actually not a huge fan of the originally, except visually. I think it's confusing and weirdly paced and kinda flat -- but I think that aesthetic combined with 30 years of advancements in visual storytelling combined with a format that has more room to breathe could be delightful.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by typoink View Post
I'm very interested, and I'm actually not a huge fan of the originally, except visually. I think it's confusing and weirdly paced and kinda flat -- but I think that aesthetic combined with 30 years of advancements in visual storytelling combined with a format that has more room to breathe could be delightful.
Good post, eh.

I own the film on DVD and I found when watching it again that is was dull and slow (painfully slow at times), but I still thought it looked amazing.

If someone can breathe proper life into the franchise, it could be kinda cool.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 01-14-2019 at 08:05 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:39 AM
Charter Member

I very skeptical this will work. Using Muppets outside a comedy show, sounds kinds of stupid.

Hope I'm wrong. I was a fan of the first one.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:09 AM
Charter Member

Very very excited for this. There is a lot of new exciting genre stuff coming out this year (I personally found a lot of last year's output to be a bit weak) and I am really eager to see it all.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:51 PM

Yeah the dialogue and pacing are bad. It has a lot of characters talking to themselves or each other and stating the obvious. But then again it was made for kids so a lot of that is understandable.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
I very skeptical this will work. Using Muppets outside a comedy show, sounds kinds of stupid.

Hope I'm wrong. I was a fan of the first one.
Didn’t like Labyrinth, eh?
Old 01-15-2019, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
Yeah the dialogue and pacing are bad. It has a lot of characters talking to themselves or each other and stating the obvious. But then again it was made for kids so a lot of that is understandable.
I remember liking it a lot.

I wouldn't say it was a kids' movie though. Some of the Skeksis scenes were pretty disturbing. And as I remember, this movie was an attempt by Henson & Company to work with more adult material..
Old 01-15-2019, 07:44 PM
Charter Member

I thought that Labyrinth was great, but The Dark Crystal just never worked for me, for reasons that I've never been able to put my finger on. I think maybe it was because it was just too alien: There were things that we were supposed to just take for granted, but which I couldn't, because I didn't grow up in a world that took them for granted.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
I thought that Labyrinth was great, but The Dark Crystal just never worked for me, for reasons that I've never been able to put my finger on.

Crawlie is an acquired taste?
Old 01-16-2019, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
Yeah, nobody likes Yoda, after all.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:19 AM

I am also interested - The Dark Crystal had incredible imagery, and the Making of is an absolutely awesome Story of what People could create just with costumes and puppets at that time. I am a sucker for different art forms in film - Leika and their Stop Motion Movies are absolutely incredible, for example. So I am looking forward to what you can do with a puppet movie today.
It's a tad unfortunate that it's a prequel - those rarely work out well from a story point of view. But Dark Crystal didn't exactly lend itself to a Sequel, either, so lets see what they come up with.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

As an aside, there are not any Muppets in Dark Crystal. Nor in Labyrinth, nor Farscape, nor Star Wars. The Henson creations in those films are all Creatures, not Muppets. It's a distinction between stylized, "cartoonish" creatures, and representations of creatures that are supposed to be "real". Muppets (like Big Bird, Kermit, Ms. Piggy, or Cookie Monster) are not amenable to serious, adult works, but Creatures can be.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
As an aside, there are not any Muppets in Dark Crystal. Nor in Labyrinth, nor Farscape, nor Star Wars. The Henson creations in those films are all Creatures, not Muppets. It's a distinction between stylized, "cartoonish" creatures, and representations of creatures that are supposed to be "real". Muppets (like Big Bird, Kermit, Ms. Piggy, or Cookie Monster) are not amenable to serious, adult works, but Creatures can be.

Labyrinth probably wasn't a great choice for your list. By your criteria, them is definitely uppets.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

The important thing to remember about The Dark Crystal is that, despite being an adventure movie, it is not an action movie. Its pacing reflects an attempt to convey its reflection on hubris and to establish immersion in a completely scratch-built world. It tries to show viewers a lot of things about the world, so that they can make their own connections. That's not to say that the pacing couldn't be better--it certainly could--but I feel it's important to look at it from the correct perspective.

I loved The Dark Crystal, but I'm wary of prequels in general and this one in particular. Still, it has Mark Hamill voicing a Skeksis, and I'll give it a shot for that alone.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:14 PM

It's definitely scary for kids but the tolerance for that was higher back then. Visually it looks amazing and all of that still holds up but I would suggest watching it again if you haven't seen it in along time.

I'm not saying it's bad but it definitely has some weaknesses that are evident with fresh eyes. That is why a reboot is a good idea. I am very curious to see what we get.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:41 PM

I was fired up for the original back when it originally came out. It proved to be an exceptionally tedious movie, despite intriguing character design and sets. I may look at this prequel, but if it doesn't grab me in the first few minutes of episode 1, I'm gone. There are too many good shows and movies available to waste time on another misfire.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:33 PM
Charter Member

No, Muppets have things like ping-pong-ball eyes, felt skin, and velcro noses. The creatures in Labyrinth aren't like that at all.