Old 01-13-2019, 03:19 PM

what will be the next nutritional "wisdom" or big food fad?

Currently, the prevailing diets, nutritional advice, etc. all emphasize intake of protein and the so-called healthy fats, and recommend avoiding various carbs - depending on the diet details - in return.

Back in the 90s all fat was bad, so at the time everything was low-fat or non-fat or reduced-fat. Anyone remember SnackWell cookies? "No fat!" Well, yeah, but same overall calories - you just replaced fat with sugar.

So what is the next big nutritional fad gonna be? Haul out yer crystal ball, Dopers!

A decade or so ago, egg whites were O.K. but yolks would kill you. Shrimp was considered the reason for high cholesterol. (Yep, we know better on that one now.)

These days, the "healthy" snacks marketed towards the higher-income and health conscious will likely include things like smoked salmon, pieces of aged cheese, and a wide variety of nuts or seeds. (Cite: recent Whole Foods flyer in my mail.) Such fatty decadence would have been the epitome of unhealthy several years ago.

I have to wonder what the uber-healthy folks with disposable income to spare will snack upon, twenty or thirty years from now. Perhaps kale will be viewed the same way that rice cakes are mostly disparaged now - as the last resort of a starving dieter, but nothing considered fit for humans to eat.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:16 PM

The all-salt diet.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:37 PM

I think the next logical foodie snob step is only eating things you've grown, caught, or killed yourself. I doubt it would become a trend though because subsistence farming is a lot of hard fucking work.

Sure would ease a lot of white privilege guilt though.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:08 PM

You can eat only foods that start with a vowel. So olives, artichokes, apples, oranges, aardvarks, etc.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:15 PM

Well, I just heard this pearl of wisdom a few days ago from a friend of mine:

"You should just eat whatever you want". ( He fell off the wagon after dieting for a few weeks....his cravings got the best of him )

Last edited by BrickBat; 01-13-2019 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:21 PM

I hope the next big movement is less about diet than toward a much greater concern for the quality of life and humane death of the sentient beings that we eat - both land animals and fish. And I hope it's not a fad.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulff View Post
The all-salt diet.
Jordan Peterson ó lifestyle guru to all sorts of people ó has been pushing a diet of salt and beef and nothing else.
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...leanse/567613/
It has unpleasant effects on some people: https://www.theguardian.com/food/201...-peterson-beef
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemann View Post
I hope the next big movement is less about diet than toward a much greater concern for the quality of life and humane death of the sentient beings that we eat - both land animals and fish. And I hope it's not a fad.
Oh, thatís lovely.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Many Cats View Post
I think the next logical foodie snob step is only eating things you've grown, caught, or killed yourself. I doubt it would become a trend though because subsistence farming is a lot of hard fucking work.
Hasn't that already started, to a certain degree? I.e., people raising their own eggs in the city--and I'm not referring to people with rural backgrounds who've always been doing it to generate income. I mean rich Silicon Valley types.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:27 AM

If you've been a parent in the last couple of decades this sudden about turn is pretty big : make sure to feed your kids peanuts before they're six months old.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:40 AM

I anticipate a never-ending barrage of "superfoods" - guaranteed to promote longer life, superior brain function, sexual prowess etc. etc., touted as coming from the wisdom of ancient peoples/remote tribes.

"Eat less, mostly plants" just doesn't have the necessary pizzazz.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

WAG: Simulated meat products.

They're getting pretty good. I've had the Impossible Burger sliders at White Castle and they're decent. The newest version was being sampled at CES and reported to be amazing.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:41 PM

Was at the gym I go to the other day and their display shelf that you pass when you come in was entirely loaded with Elderberry Syrup in various sizes with brochures touting all its amazing powers.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:33 PM

Of course gluten-free has been a fad for several years. Coming on strong is lactose-free and non-dairy "milk".
Old 01-14-2019, 07:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnglmassiv View Post
WAG: Simulated meat products.

They're getting pretty good. I've had the Impossible Burger sliders at White Castle and they're decent. The newest version was being sampled at CES and reported to be amazing.
Vegie burgers have been around for quite a while, although from what I can tell, those guys are producing more meat-like flavor. However, the real next step is going to be vat-grown meat.

Last edited by dtilque; 01-14-2019 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari Seldon View Post
Of course gluten-free has been a fad for several years. Coming on strong is lactose-free and non-dairy "milk".
Perhaps the next fad will be a high-gluten diet, heavy on the wheat bread and seitan.

In any case, it will quite likely be something incredibly impractical for most people, and not necessary in almost all cases and outright harmful in a few (keto being a current example of this).
Old 01-15-2019, 05:09 AM

It may be 'The High Quality All Chemical Diet' manufactured and approved by the Dow Chemical Corp. and Exxon Mobil. Their slogan will be, "Hey, it's cheap and good for ya!"
Old 01-15-2019, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

Back in the early days of "Late Night with David Letterman" (mid to late 80s), he had a Top Ten List of "Top Ten News Headlines From The Year 2000", and I remember one of the items was "Oat Bran: The Silent Killer."

I keep waiting for the day we see that one in real life.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:16 AM

This one is not food related, but is nutrition related, and I am interested to see where it goes (if anywhere):

Is Sunscreen the New Margarine?

Last edited by Clark Cello; 01-15-2019 at 09:16 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickBat View Post

"You should just eat whatever you want". ( He fell off the wagon after dieting for a few weeks....his cravings got the best of him )
People have been asking me for decades how I stay so slim. II tell them if they do these three things every day for a year, they couldn't be fat if they wanted to:

Eat only when you are hungry
Eat whatever you want
Walk outside for at least an hour every day.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickBat View Post

"Intuitive Eating". Yep, it's already a thing.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
People have been asking me for decades how I stay so slim. II tell them if they do these three things every day for a year, they couldn't be fat if they wanted to:

Eat only when you are hungry
Eat whatever you want
Walk outside for at least an hour every day.
I agree!
Old 01-15-2019, 10:01 AM

Mushrooms. Specifically wild or "wild" mushrooms. Some people are getting into them for the money: a pound of morels can go for $35. Some people are getting into them for "medicinal" usage: cancer, pain, memory loss... there is at least one type of mushroom per touted to relieve the symptoms/cure you.

I'm grateful that many types of wild mushroom can be grown at home because, once commercialized, harvesting stuff in the wild goes fast like back when Goldenseal was the rage and the wild stuff was almost wiped out. Ramps/wild leeks are getting over harvested as well https://www.wildedible.com/blog/foraging-ramps

Personally, I like the taste (everything tastes better when cooked in butter) and the adventure of wandering the woods and finding free food.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspidistra View Post
If you've been a parent in the last couple of decades this sudden about turn is pretty big : make sure to feed your kids peanuts before they're six months old.
I didn't think this was all that recent. I seem to remember reading about this, oh at least 25 years ago in pulp media

Next Big Food and Diet Fad will be an ocean/water organism based diets and being sure to expose infants to all manner of sea life while rolling them in the dirt so they get exposed to everything and develop a properly socialized immune system.

Last edited by guestchaz; 01-15-2019 at 10:08 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehorseshoe View Post
Currently, the prevailing diets, nutritional advice, etc. all emphasize intake of protein and the so-called healthy fats, and recommend avoiding various carbs - depending on the diet details - in return.

Back in the 90s all fat was bad, so at the time everything was low-fat or non-fat or reduced-fat. Anyone remember SnackWell cookies? "No fat!" Well, yeah, but same overall calories - you just replaced fat with sugar.

So what is the next big nutritional fad gonna be? Haul out yer crystal ball, Dopers!

A decade or so ago, egg whites were O.K. but yolks would kill you. Shrimp was considered the reason for high cholesterol. (Yep, we know better on that one now.)

These days, the "healthy" snacks marketed towards the higher-income and health conscious will likely include things like smoked salmon, pieces of aged cheese, and a wide variety of nuts or seeds. (Cite: recent Whole Foods flyer in my mail.) Such fatty decadence would have been the epitome of unhealthy several years ago.

I have to wonder what the uber-healthy folks with disposable income to spare will snack upon, twenty or thirty years from now. Perhaps kale will be viewed the same way that rice cakes are mostly disparaged now - as the last resort of a starving dieter, but nothing considered fit for humans to eat.
My prediction is that this (the low carb / high protein / healthy fats diets) will continue to be the trend. I suppose you could call it a fad, but it seems to me that since 2001 when Dr. Atkins's book was republished that this has been the go to diet, just packaged under different names. Whether it's South Beach, paleo, keto, or any other recent ones, they're basically all the same diet, with maybe a little wiggle room on what falls under the category of healthy fats. They are all basically low carb / high protein and healthy fats with fiber diets. They've been popular almost 20 years now, so it's hard to call them a fad.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
You can eat only foods that start with a vowel. So olives, artichokes, apples, oranges, aardvarks, etc.
Excellent plan, but I need more detailed rules. Does "Another pasty" count? How about "One more samosa"?

Failing that, Huel: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huel

j

Last edited by Treppenwitz; 01-15-2019 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtilque View Post
Vegie burgers have been around for quite a while, although from what I can tell, those guys are producing more meat-like flavor. However, the real next step is going to be vat-grown meat.
"Yes, I'll have the 14 oz strip steakoid cooked medium, please."

Last edited by bump; 01-15-2019 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlikTheBlue View Post
My prediction is that this (the low carb / high protein / healthy fats diets) will continue to be the trend. I suppose you could call it a fad, but it seems to me that since 2001 when Dr. Atkins's book was republished that this has been the go to diet, just packaged under different names. Whether it's South Beach, paleo, keto, or any other recent ones, they're basically all the same diet, with maybe a little wiggle room on what falls under the category of healthy fats. They are all basically low carb / high protein and healthy fats with fiber diets. They've been popular almost 20 years now, so it's hard to call them a fad.
Good point.

From time to time a study will come out that seems to contradict a previously held (and over-simplified) notion about nutrition, (e.g., from "fats are the problem--any and all fats" to "maybe not all fats"). Then the media picks it up, and frames it as "Well, we had it all wrong!" Someone writes a book to capitalize on the this, and further frames it as a "new truth" about diet. The general public buys into this, and a lot of people adopt some new diet as their salvation, until another one comes long, and then people start to think that this is all just arbitrary trends ("food fads," as per the OP), and anything might come next--it's like fashion.

In fact, these are really incrementally increased understandings of nutrition that are more like slight readjustments of a general direction.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:24 PM

One of my friends pointed out during the "grams of fat" craze that if your diet consists entirely of things that have the grams of fat printed on the side of the package, you are not eating healthy.

She's right.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
One of my friends pointed out during the "grams of fat" craze that if your diet consists entirely of things that have the grams of fat printed on the side of the package, you are not eating healthy.

She's right.
This is one of the things that Pollan's dictum "Eat food, mostly plants, not too much" was getting at with the "Eat food" part. Avoiding heavily processed foods was part of it, but also eating "normal" things, avoiding foods that are trying too hard to represent themselves as something wonderful. For example, during the era when avoiding all fat was the misguided obsession, foods marketing themselves as low-fat starting adding huge amounts of sugar instead.

I think the one thing to remember with nutrition is that it's extremely difficult to do rigorous science, because we just can't do the ideal experiments of making large controlled groups of humans stick to one specific diet consistently for decade-long studies. The best guidance is to avoid any kind of extreme diet advice, whether it's to eliminate things entirely or to add large amounts of purported superfoods. There is never enough rigorous evidence to support extreme diets, encompassing all the potential implications over long periods of time. To do things in moderation is not just laziness, it's the rational approach.

Last edited by Riemann; 01-15-2019 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:54 PM

All carbs-no protein.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treppenwitz View Post
Excellent plan, but I need more detailed rules. Does "Another pasty" count? How about "One more samosa"?

j
Definitely advise against whatever diet Huell follows
Old 01-16-2019, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Cello View Post
This one is not food related, but is nutrition related, and I am interested to see where it goes (if anywhere):

Is Sunscreen the New Margarine?
It's not out of line with what my doctor has been telling me. He's been saying for a while that sunlight has benefits beyond the SAD lights and vitamin D.

Though he also argues that Vitamin D supplementation doesn't work all that well without the addition of Vitamin K, and he still gives it out. He just argues that sunlight should also be used, and that sometimes that can reduce or eliminate the need for supplementation.

The guideline they mention is also what my sister was always told with her skin issues, that she should go out, but avoid being burnt.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

I do believe that stressing out over what you are going to eat every day will kill you a lot quicker than a bad diet.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:

j
I haven't heard of that before. It looks like the British version of Soylent.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermitian View Post
I haven't heard of that before. It looks like the British version of Soylent.

I have some. It tastes like the blandest oatmeal I’ve ever had. I add stevia and cinnamon.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post

She's right.
Wow. That's well put. Imma steal/borrow this.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:18 PM

Have we run out of miracle berries yet? I noticed the other day that my wife's shampoo has acai berries in it. In the shampoo.

I am looking forward to the no carb, low protein, high fat diet. It will consist chiefly of the skin off roasted turkey and the fatty lip off a prime rib roast. And of course, acai berries. Should I write a book?
Old 01-16-2019, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

j

I suspect you have to switch to empanadas.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dereknocue67 View Post
It may be 'The High Quality All Chemical Diet' manufactured and approved by the Dow Chemical Corp. and Exxon Mobil. Their slogan will be, "Hey, it's cheap and good for ya!"
Just like Mom used to make ... of course she was a chemical engineer for Olin Chemicals

[I can remember going to Ohio and hunting birds at an Olin Chemicals owned game farm ... ]
Old Yesterday, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

This morning, the news channels all seemed to be touting this story, which claims that we all need to go on a diet, not just to make ourselves healthier, but to SAVE THE PLANET!!!!!!!!!

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-46865204
Old Yesterday, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Jones View Post
Have we run out of miracle berries yet? I noticed the other day that my wife's shampoo has acai berries in it. In the shampoo.
Miracle berry usually refers to that fruit which makes sour or some bitter flavors taste sweet. It's pretty cool to try though a bit of a novelty. It was somewhat popular 10-15 years ago but never reached broad, mass market audiences. Acai does probably qualify as a bona fide fad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synsepalum_dulcificum