Old 01-14-2019, 03:38 AM

Cool new words you've learned

Today I learned the word "yedasentience"

It refers to "an internally generated feeling of knowing which provides a phenomenological sign of goal-attainment". It was coined by researchers into OCD, who hypothesise that OCD patients lack this, and therefore must keep coming back to their compulsion in a vain attempt to gain the psychological check-mark that their brain is expecting as a signal of "done that"

Not in the dictionary yet, but Google Scholar is all over it, so I'm calling it a Real Word (TM)

What's the coolest word you've learned recently?
Old 01-14-2019, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

Cool new words you've learned

I'm afraid I misread the word as "Yadasentience", and thought it meant a deep familiarity with Seinfeld.

Last edited by Northern Piper; 01-14-2019 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:37 AM

Crepuscular. Animals that are most active at dawn and dusk are not diurnal or nocturnal, they are crepuscular.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Piper View Post
I'm afraid I misread the word as "Yadasentience", and thought it meant a deep familiarity with Seinfeld.
Not to be confused with Yodasentience, deep knowledge of something else which is...
Old 01-15-2019, 11:12 AM

Demisexual, has nothing to do with Demi Moore, means your prospective partner has to journey all the way through the friendzone before sexy times can happen. It's categorized as a variety of asexuality.

Learned that word s couple weeks ago.

Last edited by guestchaz; 01-15-2019 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:11 PM

A phrase, not a word: Brexit wound.

Usually in the plural, for obvious reasons. The meaning is also obvious.

Not sure why I saw it for the first time just a few days ago. It's a fairly obvious neologisim (one I should have thought of myself, really), so you would have thought it would have been in circulation for quite a while.

j
Old 01-15-2019, 01:55 PM

It's not new but I like the fact that someone felt it was worthwhile to coin a word for it:

apricity: The sun's warmth in winter.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:25 PM

My father was reading a book the other day on Greek mythology, and he called me over to try to figure out what "autochthonous" meant. I thought it could be about burying yourself, or maybe digging yourself up.

Turns out it just means "indigenous". Normally I'm all for expanding one's vocabulary, but I think the writer was just being pretentious here.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guestchaz View Post
Demisexual, has nothing to do with Demi Moore, means your prospective partner has to journey all the way through the friendzone before sexy times can happen. It's categorized as a variety of asexuality.
That's a thing now? I haven't been keeping up with the various varieties of -sexual that are around these days, but I would have thought that "ordinary human being" would have covered that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Stickler View Post
It's not new but I like the fact that someone felt it was worthwhile to coin a word for it:

apricity: The sun's warmth in winter.
I like this one, and am stealing

Last edited by Aspidistra; 01-15-2019 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Carl View Post
Crepuscular. Animals that are most active at dawn and dusk are not diurnal or nocturnal, they are crepuscular.
And the Twilight series is crapuscular.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

Tattoo. I'm familiar with the skin art, but not with the other definition until I re-read "The Tell-Tale Heart" (and had to look it up, since the word made no sense in the context) where I came upon the alliterative meaning of 'rapid rhythmic rapping.'

Last edited by Earl Snake-Hips Tucker; 01-15-2019 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspidistra View Post
That's a thing now? I haven't been keeping up with the various varieties of -sexual that are around these days, but I would have thought that "ordinary human being" would have covered that one.
From what I understand, demisexual means you literally are incapable of feeling sexual attraction for someone you don't know. Something like that.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malleus, Incus, Stapes! View Post
My father was reading a book the other day on Greek mythology, and he called me over to try to figure out what "autochthonous" meant. I thought it could be about burying yourself, or maybe digging yourself up.

Turns out it just means "indigenous". Normally I'm all for expanding one's vocabulary, but I think the writer was just being pretentious here.

It's the French word for "aboriginal people". We use it in the Constitution of Canada.

Bugger of a word for an anglo to say.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Snake-Hips Tucker View Post
Tattoo. I'm familiar with the skin art, but not with the other definition until I re-read "The Tell-Tale Heart" (and had to look it up, since the word made no sense in the context) where I came upon the alliterative meaning of 'rapid rhythmic rapping.'

It also means a bagpipe-fest in the evening. Reputedly from a Dutch phrase for "turn off the taps", i.e. the pubs are close and time to get back to base.

See the wiki entry for the Edinburgh Tattoo:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_...ilitary_Tattoo
Old 01-15-2019, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

Sesquipedalian - a foot and a half long. Also words that are unnecessarily long and obscure.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:25 PM

Quote:
From what I understand, demisexual means you literally are incapable of feeling sexual attraction for someone you don't know. Something like that.
Yes, this, my explanation was not the textbook definition.

Aspidistra, I wouldn't worry about it. It's something that is easily obscured by other things like anxieties, ease of physical stimulation into arousal, for males anyway, things like that.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:36 PM
Charter Member

I'm currently writing a novel set in 1830 and thus and looking up slang from the era. What's amazing his how imaginative some of the terms are, especially for people being hanged and, of course, for drinking.

Today, it was lobcock. It means a lazy and idle man. Also a limp penis after sex.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:49 PM

Pettifogging. Learned it on this board. I would try to describe it's meaning, but I know a number of you will be nit-picky of anything I write.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:50 PM

apocolocyntosis

I heard this on an old episode of Good Job, Brain.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:32 PM
Charter Member

Not one I've learned recently but one that often pops up in lists like this:

Defenestration

Defenestration is the act of throwing someone or something out of a window.[1] The term was coined around the time of an incident in Prague Castle in the year 1618, which became the spark that started the Thirty Years' War.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:38 PM

I love 'defenestrate' - I always thought it was some gross mutilation, e.g. 'disembowel', then for some reason looked it up and was like, seriously? And learned it was a fashionably rebellious thing to do for a time. At least in Prague.

Last edited by squeegee; 01-15-2019 at 11:39 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:04 AM

A long-time far-too-often-used source of feeble puns (which seems mercifully to have tailed off somewhat in recent years) -- the "Czech / cheque" thing: which I usually find annoying. I do, however, rather like one instance of it -- "The Defenestration of Prague: the first bouncing Czech".
Old 01-16-2019, 12:46 PM

Reading an article in French a little while ago I came across the word hecatombe. Straight to google translate, and that gives you, in English, hecatomb. On the one hand, not useful; on the other hand, every time I have to translate a French word and I don't even understand the English translation, I do feel that the process of relearning French is making progress.

Hecatomb: an extensive loss of life for a particular cause.
(In ancient Greece or Rome: a great public sacrifice, originally of a hundred oxen).

j
Old 01-16-2019, 03:44 PM

Pagophagia: compulsive chewing on ice, etc.

(Not to be confused with Pogophilia which is a fixation on a classic comic strip.)
Old Yesterday, 09:26 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Not new, but new to me: ultracrepidarian, "One who gives opinions on something beyond his or her knowledge."
Old Yesterday, 12:25 PM

And when called on it, an ultracrepidarian could become a mumpsimus: one who insists they are right despite clear evidence to the contrary.
Old Yesterday, 12:38 PM

My brother and I, who share a house, are both words-fans; we pretty well always have a game of Scrabble going. We're essentially laid-back about rules of play -- searching of dictionary ("dead-tree" or online) is permitted, to find out whether what hopefully might be a real word, indeed is one. In this respect, I'm conservative, and prefer the dead-tree option -- the two-volume New Shorter Oxford English Dictionary.

I find it wonderful, what a great abundance of crazily obscure and unheard-of words (not proper nouns, so Scrabble-worthy) there are in the English language, per the "Oxford" -- keep stumbling over them by chance in the book, while thumbing-through to find alphabetic location of latest "perhaps word". A few choice ones, lately happened-upon thus --

drabbler: (nautical) -- an additional length of canvas laced to the foot of a bonnet to give an even greater area of sail

jocoserious: blending humorous and serious matters

rubbaboo: (North American, historical -- originally from the Algonquian language) -- a kind of soup or broth made from pemmican
Old Yesterday, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Well I just learned Pemmican!
Old Yesterday, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Carl View Post
And the word more generally refers to twilight. Which is why the "sun rays" you sometimes see radiating away from the Sun when the Sun is low in the sky & behind a cloud are called crepuscular rays.
Old Yesterday, 02:21 PM

Just a few minutes ago I was reading this WaPo article and ended up looking up the word "histrionics." ("exaggerated dramatic behavior designed to attract attention") As in:

Quote:
And that is not to mention the histrionics, such as shouting “You lie!” or bringing Ted Nugent as your guest.
Great word, much better than "kabuki theatre" IMHO. (I hate that phrase, I think it's unfair to actual Kabuki)
Old Yesterday, 03:01 PM

OK, who is up for a challenge, before this thread gets longer?

Write a sentence or a paragraph using all the cool new words so far listed. The winner gets a free slice of pie and our undying adulation.
Old Yesterday, 05:33 PM

I'll beg off from "Brexit wounds" -- am British, and wish ardently never to have to hear again that B-word, or anything connected with the whole business. Otherwise --

At the crepuscular hour, the declining day's apricity was agreeable, as pettifogging and sesquipedalian-inclined Captain Treppenwitz -- indulging his pagophagia in the intervals of finishing off a bowl of rubbaboo (featuring the autochthonous North Americans' pemmican) -- engaged in histrionics in his chewing-out of Ordinary Seaman Snowthx in jocoserious tattoo-fashion, for his unwarranted yedasentience: "Lobcock ! You've made a right mess of that drabbler, you ultracrepidarian mumpsimus: you deserve at best, defenestration -- at worst, being a hecatomb victim -- no demisexual would even bother to put you in the friendzone..." when night fell fully, and apocolosyntosis overtook them both.
Old Yesterday, 05:42 PM

*wild applause*

Old Yesterday, 05:45 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr4 View Post
Which is why the "sun rays" you sometimes see radiating away from the Sun when the Sun is low in the sky & behind a cloud are called crepuscular rays.
I had been told somewhere along the way that such "rays" were also called "glories," but a quick look around a couple of online dictionaries suggests that "glory" only refers to halo-shaped light ... thingies. I'm miffed, because I really thought I would have one to add to the thread.
Old Yesterday, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangahyando View Post
I'll beg off from "Brexit wounds" -- am British, and wish ardently never to have to hear again that B-word, or anything connected with the whole business. Otherwise --

At the crepuscular hour, the declining day's apricity was agreeable, as pettifogging and sesquipedalian-inclined Captain Treppenwitz -- indulging his pagophagia in the intervals of finishing off a bowl of rubbaboo (featuring the autochthonous North Americans' pemmican) -- engaged in histrionics in his chewing-out of Ordinary Seaman Snowthx in jocoserious tattoo-fashion, for his unwarranted yedasentience: "Lobcock ! You've made a right mess of that drabbler, you ultracrepidarian mumpsimus: you deserve at best, defenestration -- at worst, being a hecatomb victim -- no demisexual would even bother to put you in the friendzone..." when night fell fully, and apocolosyntosis overtook them both.
A Bulwer-Lytton winner if there ever was one. I think they're going to have to come up with a new category, though.
Old Yesterday, 06:04 PM

Someone who is latitudinarian is tolerant of others, particularly when it comes to religion.
Old Yesterday, 06:06 PM

Quote:

I am laughing out loud - well done! Post of the week!

Altho, I am not sure why I am laughing - I need to reference the posts above to remember the meanings of those words.
Old Today, 01:44 AM
Charter Member

Discombobulated- confused and uncertain.
Old Today, 03:50 AM

Quote:
A Bulwer-Lytton winner if there ever was one. I think they're going to have to come up with a new category, though.
With this and other comments -- I'll have to beware of getting swollen-headed, and starting to see myself as the Anti-Patrick O'Brian...
Old Today, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
Discombobulated- confused and uncertain.
I've long known this one; and to be honest, it's one of those words which I hate, finding them highly twee. (Not "dissing" you personally -- my prejudice against the word is individual and illogical, and you have as much right to like it, as I have to dislike it.)
Old Today, 04:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I've long known this one; and to be honest, it's one of those words which I hate, finding them highly twee. (Not "dissing" you personally -- my prejudice against the word is individual and illogical, and you have as much right to like it, as I have to dislike it.)
No offence- it was on a cat site (of all things) that I visited last night. I wil work it into conversation over the dinner table tonight. I will sign in from hospital.
Old Today, 04:24 AM
Charter Member

That would be "will".