Old 01-14-2019, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Defunct ATM/cash machine networks (remember Green Machine?)

Does anyone remember Green Machine ATMs? That was my first awareness of cash machines. In fact for a few years we used the term “green machine” genetically before the term “ATM” became common.

My first ATM card was a Green Machine card from Gem City Savings and Loan (“Gem Savings, making things happen for you ...”). I miss that beautiful blue card and G/Gem logo.

My second ATM card was a Jeannie card from Society Bank (which I think was originally the Fourth National Bank of Dayton).

What other ATM networks do you remember?
Old 01-14-2019, 02:57 PM

I always used to Tap MAC

Girard Bank also used to have George.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:03 PM

The first ATM I used was in college in the 1980s - a "William Teller" machine.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:04 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

We call them all "Money Machines" - I have a vague recollection of the Green Machines, or maybe I'm thinking about the portable carpet cleaner my MIL used with her new puppy...
Old 01-16-2019, 04:04 PM

In Milwaukee we had TYME (take your money everywhere) machines. Not realizing these weren't a national thing you'd often get odd looks when you traveled out of state and asked people where the nearest TYME machine was.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:25 PM

The first ATM network in Atlanta was from First national Bank and was called "Tillie". I still remember the original jingle:

I'm Tillie the all time teller,
I work for First National Bank!
Old 01-16-2019, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

The one I remember is NYCE (New York Cash Exchange), but it's not defunct.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:32 PM

Hmmm... I thought "green machine" sounded familiar, and in fact it still is what the Toronto-Dominion bank (whose corporate color is green) calls their ATMs:
https://www.tdcanadatrust.com/produc...ransaction.jsp

Sounds like somebody should sue somebody for trademark infringement!
Old 01-16-2019, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
Hmmm... I thought "green machine" sounded familiar, and in fact it still is what the Toronto-Dominion bank (whose corporate color is green) calls their ATMs:
https://www.tdcanadatrust.com/produc...ransaction.jsp

Sounds like somebody should sue somebody for trademark infringement!
keeping in mind you used a wink--

1. Maybe T-D is licensing the name from the current owners, who might be the same or successors of those who licensed it to Gem City Savings
2. Trademark rights persist only while use in commerce continues. Gem City Savings and its Green Machine ceased to exist a long time ago, so if they were the original trademark holders and they didn't keep using the name, they have no current rights.
3. Trademark rights are also territorial. Toronto-Dominion's territory likely doesn't overlap with Gem City's.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:05 PM
Charter Member

In 1980 I banked with Norwest Bank of Minneapolis (later Wells Fargo) whose ATM system was InstaCash (I think). It was the only reason I used them, since I did a bunch of travelling.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:38 PM

I remember the star system in the mid 80s and when an atm card was a privilege if you had direct deposit or over 1k in the bank and costs 9.95 a month

Last edited by nightshadea; 01-16-2019 at 09:39 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:37 PM

Yeah, I was gonna say the first ones cost you. And the card only worked, in my case at the credit union and it's ONE branch. It wasn't worth it. We never succumbed til late 90s, when it became cost effective.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 01-16-2019 at 10:37 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire View Post
In Milwaukee we had TYME (take your money everywhere) machines. Not realizing these weren't a national thing you'd often get odd looks when you traveled out of state and asked people where the nearest TYME machine was.
My wife grew up in Milwaukee, and she called them Tyme machines when I first met her. I remember seeing them when we visited, but we haven't been back in several years. Are they still in use?

I recall them being called "ugly tellers", maybe in the late 80s. I don't know if that was a common nickname for them, or something a local (St. Louis) bank came up with.
Old Yesterday, 12:17 AM

"Hey, on the way to the movie I need a TYME machine."
"Geez, Roy. Do you really need to visit the Cenozoic Period AGAIN?"

(Yeah, we had too much fun with that) But I think Milwaukee's full of less confusing ATMs now.
Old Yesterday, 01:31 AM
Charter Member

Here Connecticut Bank and Trust called their machine Barney. I have no idea why. CBT was bought by Bank of New England which went to Fleet in its bankruptcy. Then Fleet Merged with Bank America. Somehow I think Bank One was in there, too. I don't know when the name changed. I don't recall any others. It's now just called an ATM.

I've banked at the same bank building for more than 35 years, and their ATM is located in the exact same place (though it's a newer machine by several generations).
Old Yesterday, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensive Indifference View Post
My wife grew up in Milwaukee, and she called them Tyme machines when I first met her. I remember seeing them when we visited, but we haven't been back in several years. Are they still in use?
No, but there's a gas station outside of Plymouth, WI that still has a TYME machine sign on the exterior of the building. I stopped there only to discover they had a standard ATM. I offered to buy the TYME sign but they weren't selling.
Old Yesterday, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

What, no one else remembers Harvey Wallbanker?
Old Yesterday, 10:03 AM

the first ATM I used was the "Cool Cash" machine at Coolidge Bank and Trust in Massachusetts. They had such automated tellers in Central Square and at Fresh Pond in Cambridge. They were immensely popular -- they pretty much emptied out a few hours after the bank closed for the weekend.
Old Yesterday, 01:56 PM

Cash Station was the ATM network in metro Chicago.

Until this thread, I'd forgot about Cash Station, though it was once ubiquitous -- and pretty much synonymous with ATMs -- in metro Chicago. I just checked my present debit card to see that it doesn't have a Cash Station logo. Of course, I haven't used an ATM other than my own bank's machines in years because I don't want to pay an ATM fee. I wonder if those fees, bank consolidation (easier to find an own-bank machine), and being able to get cash-back on a debit card without a fee at many stores, did in the branded multibank ATM networks?

Contrary to niteshadea, I don't remember paying just to have an ATM card when I first got one for my checking account in the mid-to-late 1980s. I certainly didn't routinely have a checking balance above $1,000. (1) I was a kid back then, working part-time. (2) When I did accumulate beyond routine expenses, I deposited into a passbook savings account so I'd get interest.* Now there's a blast from the past for you!

*I remember when checking didn't pay interest, and the big-ish deal when banks or savings-and-loans started paying interest on some checking accounts. As I recall, the checking-with-interest accounts weren't technically checks, they were "negotiable orders of withdrawal" and the accounts were called NOW accounts.
Old Yesterday, 04:00 PM

I had one when they first came out but can't remember the year. I do know it did not have real time access to your account. As long as you were in good standing it would let you withdraw $50 or something . If your account did not have enough it got overdrawn unless you had overdraft protection, which just put it on your credit card. So you could get $50 in the evening, wait until after midnight and get another $50. Woo Hoo!

Dennis
Old Today, 07:31 AM
Charter Member

I don't remember the names for early ATMs. I'm not sure when I started using them. I distinctly remember writing checks to "cash" at AAFES to get money from my account while in Georgia, and probably in Germany too. I think by time I moved to Texas, I must have received an ATM card. So, probably, the mid-1990s. They've never been anything except "ATM" to me.