Old Yesterday, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eonwe View Post
Of course, always take anything anyone says with a grain of salt, but this video pins the late-stage era of popular country music that we're in on drum machine/rhythms.
I was thinking along these lines some as well. The introduction of synth/percussion machines did a real number on a lot of genres from the 80s on.

The guy in your link is more than a bit late in catching on.
Old Yesterday, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB99 View Post
Ha! My wife and I were just talking about this the other day. We had to listen to some god-awful so-called “country” music.

When I think about country music, I think about songs like “Unanswered Prayers” or “Seminole Wind.” These were almost spiritually meaningful. Now we have these rock-country songs that glorify NASCAR and camouflage, and emphasize redneck culture.
And kickin' up dust with your pickup truck, and yada yada yada.

There was definitely a moment in the past 15-20 years when, from then on, every other song you'd hear on a country station was about being 'country'.

There's no parallel for this in rock n' roll-based pop. (Thank the Lord.) You won't find a station where every other song is stuff like "R.O.C.K. in the U.S.A" and "The Heart of Rock & Roll."
Old Yesterday, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
The problem is that there are two completely different genres which are both called "country".
You mean you have both kinds, both country and western?
Old Yesterday, 02:54 PM

People have done some interesting mashups. Like the lyrical similarity of Bro Country songe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WySgNm8qH-I

Or just mixing hit songs together and realizing you can't tell that they're different songs:

http://www.cmt.com/news/1747657/proo...unds-the-same/
Old Yesterday, 04:51 PM

I hardly listen to country radio, despite liking some country music like George Strait, and older artists like Merle Haggard.

I remember seeing on TV a video for "Honkey Tonk Badonkadonk," and thinking it was the country attempt to do something like "I like Big Butts," and "Back that Azz Up."

Then I randomly turned on the radio and there was some country song talking about "Feeling Like a Rock Star." It seemed like a pretty generic song, and maybe that's "Bro-Country."
Around the same time I heard a country song where they were talking about drinking beers, riding around in pick-up trucks. It sounded almost like a parody, like what non-country music fans think country must sound like. After looking it up right now, it may have been "Truck Yeah."
Old Yesterday, 04:57 PM

I can still hear that twang that defines country. Or if the female vocalist sounds like she's middle-aged and drank and smoked too much (despite probably being in her 20s), that's a dead giveaway.
Old Today, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Amen. There is real country still, Steve Earle is one of the greatest. His current band is great, too. But just like Townes, you won't hear him on country stations.
Amen, amen!
I'd like to hear Big and Rich open some football pre-game program with Steve Earle's
'Oxycontin Blues'.
Old Today, 10:40 AM

I think country music is more a sensibility than a sound. Country and rock have always been intertwined, and these days about all that distinguishes a mainstream country song from mainstream rock is that it was recorded in Nashville.

(Of course, there's really no such thing as "mainstream rock" anymore. Radio stations that used to just be rock stations now play classic rock or alternative -- or country.)

I enjoy country and country-ish rock (and folk, bluegrass, Americana, etc.), but the whole flag-waving thing is a huge turn-off. Ms. Akaj and I were in Nashville in early 2017, wandering the downtown bars and catching bands ranging from mediocre to fantastic. One group, in the middle of their set, did an a capella version of "The Star Spangled Banner" for no reason whatsoever. They weren't great singers and they didn't harmonize -- it was basically just a sing-along, just a cheap sentimental ploy. And most of the crowd ate it up.
Old Today, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Amen. There is real country still, Steve Earle is one of the greatest. His current band is great, too. But just like Townes, you won't hear him on country stations.
I love Steve Earle tons, but he crosses into lots of genres, even during one album. Some blues, some country, some rock, some other stuff.
Old Today, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maserschmidt View Post
I love Steve Earle tons, but he crosses into lots of genres, even during one album. Some blues, some country, some rock, some other stuff.
Not to mention his strong guest role on The Wire.