Old Today, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rat avatar View Post
I think some of these are specific to Germany, but related to the locks requiring a key from the inside.

Fire codes in the US require egress doors to be usable without a key due to tragic events like the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire, Cocoanut Grove Nightclub Fire, and the Iroquois Theater Fire

Except as specifically permitted by this section, egress doors shall be readily openable from the egress side without the use of a key or special knowledge or effort.

I am betting if/when a similar loss of life is caused by egress doors that require a key happens in Germany they will also enact similar codes.
I lived in Germany, and I cannot recall being in a house that did not have a front door with a handle on the inside. In other words, you could get out. BUT, many people lock that front door at night, and even require it in multi-apartment houses. I never liked the idea of that, given the possibility of being trapped inside in a fire. In which case I would have looked for a handy window.
Old Today, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enola Gay View Post
My cousin lived in Germany in the 80s & 90s and every time she moved to a new apartment, she had to install kitchen cabinets, as the prior tenant took those with him/her. I thought that practice was insane!
Yup, the Germans strip their houses when they leave. By unfurnished they REALLY mean unfurnished. Frankly, it is excessive.

When I left Germany two years ago. I spent nearly two months getting rid of all furniture and fixtures that we were not taking. Firstly, through the small ads; half the Third World came through the door to take away my things. I gave it all away, such things seldom have any value anyway. What was left over went to the tip.

A lot of furniture and appliances that are given away or put out on the street for collection on the Sperrmuell day when bulky items are collected get picked up before the trucks come round and are taken to eastern Europe.
Old Today, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Feldon View Post
Switzerland is the same way. There are people who actually use the 1000 franc note (roughly the same in USD) for personal transactions.
Checks never caught on in Germany. Credit cards were widely used, but cannot be used everywhere. In the past 20 years there was a marked shift to using bank transfers and then EC cards, which are debit cards. Banks transfers in Germany are really easy, not just from a PC at home, but also from ATMs in the banks. They still use cash, a lot, but now it is mainly debit cards and bank transfers. The banks are reducing the number of branches and ATMs., making it harder for people to use cash - and this has attracted furious opposition because it mainly hits older people away from the urban centers.

BTW, the Germans want to do away with the high denomination Euro notes (100, 200 and 500) to stop money laundering. The shops don't like them, usually because they have to give so much change. BTW, bank notes of or over 20 Euro always get run through a checker.
Old Today, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suranyi View Post
Interesting how these things vary around the world. As you say Sweden is becoming cashless. Contrast that with Japan and China, which I visited recently, where you still need cash for almost everything. For example: In Japan, the machines to add money to the subway tickets take only cash. In China, the luggage storage at the airport takes only cash.
China is certainly moving towards payments with Smartphones, and I'm sure the Japanese will too. Not so evident in Europe yet, but I think it will come in a few years. This is already being done with things like train and flight tickets.
Old Today, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post
I'd say many of us do. When I make a pot roast or spaghetti sauce or adobo, for instance, I'll sit in my comfy chairTM happily smelling my dinner cooking for hours (the first two require low-and-slow cooking, the adobe requires a long marinade so it's mostly in the fridge but it sure smells good when I open the door!). Many Americans enjoy smelling holiday meals as they cook all day. It's the wipe-the-drool-off-your-chin anticipatory prelude to a delicious meal. (I'd probably draw the line at fish, myself, but I'm not a big fish eater.)

And, of course, nothing beats the scent of cookies baking.

In any case, the scents generally clear within a couple of hours after eating and doing the dishes. I've never lived anyplace where they stuck around for days on end or permeated the paint or fabric in the dwelling to the point that the scent never went away.
Things like the smell of curry or fish do permeate fabrics.
Old Today, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanVito View Post
Not only do I store my shoes in the bedroom (neatly stacked away in the bottom of my wardrobe), I also wear them indoors, all over the house. Every single room. And I have a dog that walks in his bare feet both in and outside the house, no doubt stepping in poop along the way. And I let guests walk all over the house in their shoes too. And I don't own slippers, the shame!

However, I also don't eat off or lie on the floor, so have yet to succumb to dysentery.
Yeah, this. Everywhere I've ever lived you kept your shoes in your room. I don't get this apparent phobia about shoes. And people own more than one pair, you know. So if you have roommates, everyone is supposed to leave every pair of shoes by the front door? Jeez, it would be nothing but shoes!