Old 09-11-2019, 01:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
I'm more interested in what actual information you're trying to convey in this thread.
I'm not certain, but I think we're being "owned."

I thought it was supposed to hurt a lot, but I didn't feel a thing.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
The only information I can glean from that post is that WillF, for some strange reason, still believes he has special unique insight, if not psychic abilities, into the minds of liberals.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 09-11-2019 at 01:58 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:03 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
The only information I can glean from that post is that WillF, for some strange reason, still believes he has special unique insight, if not psychic abilities, into the minds of liberals.
He tried internal introspection and found nothing, so I can see why he turned to the thoughts of others instead.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
Eonwe's post has destroyed you.

You're done. Give it up, try another thread.
The one where he did a lot of googling about nothing related to the topic? Yes I can see why you would think that.

Quote:
I can see that gleaning is not your core competency. Get back to serving Trumpís govt.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:26 PM

Quote:
The one where he did a lot of googling about nothing related to the topic? Yes I can see why you would think that.

I can see that gleaning is not your core competency. Get back to serving Trump’s govt.
Still no actual information? Just nonsense? Par for the course for you. I'm always here if you ever decide you want an actual adult discussion with a real exchange of ideas. Not everyone who disagrees with you is an automaton, or a government slave, or whatever it is you think of us. Some of us are fully realized humans, with the ability to think, and we just happened to have reached different conclusions than you. Imagine that!
Old 09-11-2019, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

I'm just impressed that we're over 50 posts into the thread and he hasn't mentioned Rachel Maddow once.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkrapine View Post
Liberal? Isn't VOA better known for RW propaganda?
That's what was confusing me about the OP. I would expect that a RW person would just love VOA, with its history of pro-Americanism and anti-communism, and would be thrilled that a person connected to it would be coming to NPR.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
I'm just impressed that we're over 50 posts into the thread and he hasn't mentioned Rachel Maddow once.
Who? The fat, loud football guy?
Old 09-11-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:

It has everything to do with your topic. It is the whole point. It shows you are either an idiot or a hypocrite, or possibly a troll. In any case, you're done.

NEXT!

-God
Old 09-12-2019, 06:21 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
It has everything to do with your topic. It is the whole point. It shows you are either an idiot or a hypocrite, or possibly a troll. In any case, you're done.

NEXT!
It shows nothing but that he has too much time on his hands. Whataboutism mixed with spare time and coffee.

Last edited by WillFarnaby; 09-12-2019 at 06:22 AM.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:26 AM
BANNED

Balanced reporting from NPR on Samantha Power, the John Bolton of the Obama administration, only slightly more hawkish.

“In her new memoir, The Education of an Idealist, she describes how she went from working outside the system – as a fierce and idealistic defender of human rights — to moving inside, as a diplomat who must, above all else, be ... diplomatic.”

https://www.npr.org/2019/09/12/75988...st-to-diplomat

Yes the warmongers have captured the supposed liberal outlet.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Thanks for these clarifying remarks.

As far as I can glean, your outrage stems from a government worker daring to leave his sinecure and join the private sector. What about part-time postal workers? Or should all lackeys of the jack-booted thieves be barred from civilian service throughout their lives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtC View Post
That's what was confusing me about the OP. I would expect that a RW person would just love VOA, with its history of pro-Americanism and anti-communism, and would be thrilled that a person connected to it would be coming to NPR.
Now, now; let's not resort to insults. RW Hyperlibertarians want the U.S. to return to the halcyon days of the Battle of Blair Mountain or the Ludlow Massacre. Mr. Farnaby wants to return to the Stone Age, before the chiefs who built Sumerian civilization started robbing their people at spear-point to pay for sewage drains.

And I'm so sorry you can only insult me, Mr. Farnaby. I still look forward to an intelligible manifesto, if you have one. Last time we tried it wasn't entirely clear whether the police of Farnabopia tortured suspects or ... didn't exist at all.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Yes the warmongers have captured the supposed liberal outlet.
Well folks, you can't say you didn't see that one coming!
Old 09-12-2019, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Emphasis added.
Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
...I still look forward to an intelligible manifesto, if you have one...
That will never be forthcoming.

Last edited by D_Odds; 09-12-2019 at 09:55 AM.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:56 PM

Oh yes, Will is falling back on liberals being more violent than conservatives because war.

Samantha Power used to be a war correspondent, so she's responsible for many casualties of war because she reported on it. That's war propaganda. How did we not see it?
Old 09-12-2019, 03:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
Oh yes, Will is falling back on liberals being more violent than conservatives because war.

Samantha Power used to be a war correspondent, so she's responsible for many casualties of war because she reported on it. That's war propaganda. How did we not see it?
OMG you don’t know who Samantha Power is and you are talking about foreign policy. Awkward!

Lol a war correspondent.

Tell that to the slaves in Libya.

Last edited by WillFarnaby; 09-12-2019 at 03:17 PM.
Old 09-12-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
The revolving door between oil, gas, and coal company lobbyists going into and out of the Trump administration ((Scott Pruitt, Vincent DeVito, Joe Balash) doesn't get the OP's hackles up enough to post, but NPR hiring a guy who once led a liberal radio station does.

That kind of braindead, partisan hackery can only come from a complete and utter troll with the IQ of day old rat feces.

::checks OP's name::

I nailed it in one!
As one who identifies as rat feces, I strongly resent that remark.
Old 09-12-2019, 03:38 PM

OK Will, since you're too scared to provide links to support anything you say, I'll do it for ya.

Everybody, Will is basing his disdain for Samantha Power on this Conservapedia entry. "The Trustworthy Encyclopedia."

He blindly accepted this caption under a picture of Power, Susan Rice and (da da daaaaa) Hillary Clinton plotting the downfall of Africa.
Quote:
Architects of the humanitarian catastrophe in Libya - Samantha Power (top) Susan Rice (left) and Hillary Clinton (right). President Obama initially billed US intervention "to prevent a humanitarian catastrophe," however after Gaddafi's murder the Black-African slave trade re-emerged in open slave markets in Libya.[1] NATO was used to give cover for the Obama administration's direct involvement.
and Gaddafi was MURDERED, because Banghazi and NATO coverup! So, Will takes the side of despots, just like his hero Trump. The footnote references this article by CNN, although I don't see anywhere in the article that blames Obama or Rice or Clinton or Power for Libya's slave auctions. CNN you say? I thought CNN stood for the "Communist News Network." Oh right, Conservatives like commies now!
Old 09-12-2019, 04:23 PM
BANNED

Thanks for the hasty googling. I would have been embarrassed if I thought Power was simply a war correspondent. But hey.

Last edited by WillFarnaby; 09-12-2019 at 04:23 PM.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I am disappointed that the government has drawn so many true public servants from the productive sector and placed them in govt positions where they do nothing but damage.
Now, waitaminnit. Government is part of the productive economy, it is not some kind of parasitic growth on the private sector. Unless you subscribe to what economists call the "physical fallacy," the belief that "real" wealth means only what you can hold in your hands. Soldiers and police officers and firefighters do not "produce" anything in that sense, but an economy can't get along without them. Even lawyers are productive.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
It shows nothing but that he has too much time on his hands.
As does any Doper with a high post count. Let's not throw stones.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Tell that to the slaves in Libya.
The Libyans have a lot of problems, but tyranny is no longer one of them.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
As does any Doper with a high post count. Let's not throw stones.
Listen to this man. He has gained many keen insights into the board's history, culture, idiosyncrasies and interrelationships over the course of his storied four-day presence here. Adapted so quickly, so seamlessly, that it's almost literally impossible to believe that he hasn't been here before. Hell, screw the "almost."
Old 09-13-2019, 07:17 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Now, waitaminnit. Government is part of the productive economy, it is not some kind of parasitic growth on the private sector. Unless you subscribe to what economists call the "physical fallacy," the belief that "real" wealth means only what you can hold in your hands. Soldiers and police officers and firefighters do not "produce" anything in that sense, but an economy can't get along without them. Even lawyers are productive.
The shitter cleaners don’t produce anything physical but they are part of the productive sector and I admire them for that. Govt employees are not productive in any sense.

Last edited by WillFarnaby; 09-13-2019 at 07:18 AM.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:25 AM
BANNED

Quote:
The Libyans have a lot of problems, but tyranny is no longer one of them.
Samantha Power and John Bolton would agree.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:44 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
The shitter cleaners donít produce anything physical but they are part of the productive sector and I admire them for that. Govt employees are not productive in any sense.

Your bigotry and stupidity are really boundless, aren't they?
Old 09-13-2019, 07:52 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
The shitter cleaners donít produce anything physical but they are part of the productive sector and I admire them for that. Govt employees are not productive in any sense.
You'd fit in perfectly, then.
Old 09-13-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the hasty googling. I would have been embarrassed if I thought Power was simply a war correspondent. But hey.
Really? That's the line of embarrassment for you and blindly accepting an obviously bogus Conservapedia article isn't?
Old 09-13-2019, 08:27 AM

Quote:
What about shitter cleaners employed by the government?

CHECKMATE, sir. It's okay. You'll get over being so thoroughly PWND.

Old 09-13-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:

OUCH!
Old 09-13-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Even lawyers?

Quote:

That is the ultimate paradox!
Old 09-13-2019, 01:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
Really? That's the line of embarrassment for you and blindly accepting an obviously bogus Conservapedia article isn't?
Never heard of the website.

Quote:

No. Government shitter cleaners are not productive. There is no voluntary exchange involved in government action. Therefore, there is no value created.

That being said, if all of the tax collectors and military personnel were made into shitter cleaners, there would be far less damage caused to our society.
Old 09-13-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
No. Government shitter cleaners are not productive. There is no voluntary exchange involved in government action. Therefore, there is no value created.
I don't know about you, but the exchanges I make with shitters are mostly voluntary.*

*Unless I've been eating Taco Bell.
Old 09-13-2019, 01:43 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Never heard of the website.
You are so full of shit Porta Potty makes twice-weekly visits to your house.
Old 09-13-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
You are so full of shit Porta Potty makes twice-weekly visits to your house.
That must be why he has such great respect for shitter cleaners!
Old 09-13-2019, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Leave it to WillFarnaby to invent the "no true shitter cleaner" fallacy.

ETA: although upon reflection, it could be a "posioning the shithouse" fallacy. Either way, someone needs to address how much bullshit has accumulated in him.

Last edited by Ravenman; 09-13-2019 at 02:11 PM.
Old 09-13-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
There is no voluntary exchange involved in government action. Therefore, there is no value created.
I've been staring at this for a while, and while i recognize individual words, I'm not quite grasping the meaning.

Any help?
Old 09-13-2019, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

I think it's a riff on the "TAXATION IS THEFT AT GUNPOINT!!!@" thing, but I'll defer to the treadless Boomerphobe to unlace his turd-knot of a philosophy.
Old 09-13-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
I've been staring at this for a while, and while i recognize individual words, I'm not quite grasping the meaning.

Any help?
I think the idea is that since Will hasn't personally agreed to and personally negotiated payment for everything that the government does, everything the government does is bad.

Basically every road should be a toll road, fire and police services should be by subscription, food safety should be handled by caveat emptor, and anyone who finds themselves temporarily in need of assistance should die in squalor. Effectively replacing a sometimes inefficient communal use of resources governed whose primary motivation is to win your approval, with a massively inefficient system where every action that of modern life that we now take for granted has to be paid for individually from people whose sole motivation is to extract as many resources from you as possible.
Old 09-13-2019, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I am disappointed that the government has drawn so many true public servants from the productive sector and placed them in govt positions where they do nothing but damage.

I am more worried about govt hacks bringing warped ideologies into the productive sector and broadcasting them to millions of those predisposed to loving the state.
Ah. So troll.

Good to know.
Old 09-13-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
I think of government like a wrapper. You canít eat it, and it just ends up as trash you have to throw away, but you canít have a Twinkie on the shelf for very long without it. I wouldnít say the wrapper adds no value to the snack cake, itís an important part of the process, even though itís not itself food.

Will may gripe that he doesnít need the wrapper to enjoy his Twinkie but thatís missing the point.
Old 09-13-2019, 04:50 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Actually, his eating too many unwrapped/unprotected Twinkies may explain a bit.
Old 09-13-2019, 05:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post

Any help?
Value is created when an exchange takes place wherein each party trades something he values less for something he values more. Government is involuntary. This exchange doesn’t take place.

Last edited by WillFarnaby; 09-13-2019 at 05:24 PM.
Old 09-13-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Value is created when an exchange takes place wherein each party trades something he values less for something he values more. Government is involuntary. This exchange doesnít take place.
Thatís a pretty narrow, fucked-up definition of value you have there WillFarnaby.

Then again by your own definition you have no value to this board so you got something right.
Old 09-13-2019, 06:39 PM
Retired Straight Dope Staff
Charter Member

Quote:
Value is created when an exchange takes place wherein each party trades something he values less for something he values more. Government is involuntary. This exchange doesnít take place.
Iíll bite.

I value my money less than I value (not a complete list):

social safety nets for poor and at risk people

watchdog agencies (EPA, FDA, FCC etc) that have to answer the public, not private sector

nonprofit funded scientific and medical research

service entities that must serve everyone equally (police, fire, etc).

Not claiming the government is perfect at it, but it provides better service in these areas than a bunch of cobbled together, for profit, private sector entities likely would.

And yes, private entities exist that do these things too. Nice part is I donít have to find them, vet them, and get money to them individually.
Old 09-13-2019, 06:52 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:

You presumably live in a country which is a participatory democracy. Taking part is voluntary. Oh, and if you spent even one day in a public school, you are, in fact, full of shit.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
Thatís a pretty narrow, fucked-up definition of value you have there WillFarnaby.

Then again by your own definition you have no value to this board so you got something right.
Yeah itís this thing called economics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvoryTowerDenizen View Post
Iíll bite.

I value my money less than I value (not a complete list):

social safety nets for poor and at risk people

watchdog agencies (EPA, FDA, FCC etc) that have to answer the public, not private sector

nonprofit funded scientific and medical research

service entities that must serve everyone equally (police, fire, etc).

Not claiming the government is perfect at it, but it provides better service in these areas than a bunch of cobbled together, for profit, private sector entities likely would.

And yes, private entities exist that do these things too. Nice part is I donít have to find them, vet them, and get money to them individually.
Yes you have the option of voluntarily putting up money to pay for all of those things. You donít and neither does anyone else who supports them. They can only be sold to the public if you promise to eat the rich in order to provide them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
You presumably live in a country which is a participatory democracy. Taking part is voluntary. Oh, and if you spent even one day in a public school, you are, in fact, full of shit.
Yes never heard that one. Guess what I drive on the roads too Einstein.

Taking part is voluntary. Being taxed, jailed or killed by the government is not.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

You’re reply is incoherent, but as far I can tell, is a massive goal post move.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:52 PM
BANNED

You claimed to value your money less than a list of things you haven’t traded your money for. This demonstrates that you are full of shit.

Last edited by WillFarnaby; 09-13-2019 at 09:54 PM.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
You claimed to value your money less than a list of things you havenít traded your money for. This demonstrates that you are full of shit.
My taxes (which is money) pay for those services.

I traded money with the government for things I want more. That was your definition of value.

Ergo, government has value.