Old 02-07-2018, 03:57 PM

...while I agree that "no-knock warrants" are in most cases stupid, pointless, and dangerous, expecting police to all of a sudden decide to stop executing the warrants because "its the right thing to do" is kinda ridiculous. There are 18,000 police departments in America. Its just not going to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
A big part of the solution is for the police to be fully responsible to independent civilian oversight.
This is a much more practical approach to the issue. But America being America, without overwhelming support from the public, this is unlikely to happen in most jurisdictions.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:42 PM

First round of closing arguments today in Baltimore.
Quote:
Federal prosecutors and a defense team for one of two Baltimore detectives fighting racketeering and robbery charges made their closing arguments Wednesday as a trial winds down in one of the worst U.S. police corruption scandals in recent memory.

The high-profile case is not in the hands of a jury quite yet. Defense attorneys for a second detective who has pleaded not guilty will deliver their final arguments Thursday, and government prosecutors are set for a rebuttal.
The article has a decent overview of the whole thing for those that haven't been following along.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 02-07-2018 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
I am sure we will hear soon enough that this is perfectly acceptable police behavior, and that the only terrible thing is that it was recorded and made public. That's the egregious and awful act.
Probably.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:10 AM

Guilty and guilty:
Quote:
The result: A jury convicted Detectives Daniel Hersl and Marcus Taylor of robbery, racketeering, and conspiracy on Monday evening, and they face up to 20 years on each count.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

Don't be ridiculous. That didn't happen - police are never punished for wrong doing. I read it on the Internet.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 02-13-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
Don't be ridiculous. That didn't happen - police are never punished for wrong doing. I read it on the Internet.

Regards,
Shodan
Not as often as they commit wrongdoing, to be sure, but from time to time, despite the police being the ones to investigate, and their friends the ones to prosecute, occasionally, when they have at least a decade of criminal behavior of invading homes, staging crime scenes, acting as armed drug dealers, running interference on drug trafficking rings, and even defrauding of their own department, they end up actually facing justice.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

No, police are never charged, always acquitted, and if fired, are quickly rehired by the same or another department. You could look it up.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 02-13-2018, 12:33 PM

Some of the wrongdoing by the police is not actually illegal. And some of it falls into untested grey areas. We may be giving them more latitude in some ways than is appropriate for the job.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
No, police are never charged, always acquitted, and if fired, are quickly rehired by the same or another department. You could look it up.

Regards,
Shodan
I could, but I certainly don't want to look up where you pulled it out of.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:

Regards,
Shodan
Timely response you dumb fuck, given today's verdict of not guilty for the piece of shit cowardly officer who instead of disarming a 66 year old grandma having an episode wielding a bat OR using his taser, decides to murder her instead.

Fuck that piece of shit judge too.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

Has he been hired back? That always happens next.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 02-15-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Has he been hired back? That always happens next.

Regards,
Shodan
I know how much you want murderers to be on the police force, but can you keep your fantasies to yourself for once?
Old 02-17-2018, 06:13 AM

Broward County Sheriff: Twenty 911 calls about school-shooter Cruz received in the past few years.

-The Hill
Old 02-17-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreysonCarlisle View Post
Broward County Sheriff: Twenty 911 calls about school-shooter Cruz received in the past few years.

-The Hill
It's *HIS* Sheriff Department that never acted, but he wants the FBI director to resign. Hmmmm. Why didn't *HIS* people never do anything?
Old 02-18-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG1 View Post
It's *HIS* Sheriff Department that never acted, but he wants the FBI director to resign. Hmmmm. Why didn't *HIS* people never do anything?
Police visited the house 39 times (including, I imagine, the twenty 911 calls) over a seven year period. But yeah, let's blame the FBI.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/16/us/sh...nvs/index.html
Old 02-18-2018, 05:46 PM

And how much howling would there have been if this young MAGA-bro had both his first and second amendment rights trampled upon? There is no law against crazy fuckers owning AR-15s in Florida so what was reporting him supposed to accomplish? To "keep and eye on him"? You're going to have to hire a few more FBI agents if you're going to stake out every armed angry redneck in Florida.

If only there were a common denominator.
Old Yesterday, 10:33 AM

This just popped up on the AP news feed and isn't really controversial, IMO; this is just good, solid police work and an example for other officers to follow.

From East Lansdowne, PA:
Quote:
Police were dispatched to Melrose Ave and Emerson Ave for reports of a dinosaur on the loose. On location we observed a T-Rex taking their kid to school. No problem. Clear.
Video at the link, eh.
Old Yesterday, 07:13 PM

Back to our main topic:

Toronto, Canada today:
Quote:
Videos showing Toronto police and transit fare inspectors pinning down a black teenager have prompted an internal investigation, according to the Toronto Transit Commission.

On Sunday, Bethany McBride, a Toronto-based chef, posted two videos of the incident to Facebook with the caption, “On my streetcar, a black teenaged boy shoved a fare collector who put his hands on him... and this happens. They held him down screaming for twenty mins.”
Quote:
McBride told CityNews the teen was getting off the streetcar near St. Clair West and Bathurst Street when fare inspectors dragged him back by his jacket.

The teen, who she estimated was around 15, reacted by shoving the inspector who grabbed him, McBride said. At that point, she said two TTC inspectors pinned the teenager onto the ground outside of the streetcar; three cops later joined in, handcuffed the teen, and held him down for 20 minutes, according to McBride.

In McBride’s videos, the teen can be heard crying, “I didn’t do anything, though. Please, you’re hurting me. You’re hurting me. You’re hurting me.”
Quote:
The TTC has not yet responded to VICE’s request for comment. But TTC spokesman, Stuart Green, told CityNews simply not paying a fare would not be grounds for a fare inspector to use force.

He said the TTC is investigating.

“What we’ve seen in the video is, of course, of great concern to us.”
I hope it is, Mr. Green; I hope it is.

ETA: Miss McBride's Facebook page with the videos; only one is at the VICE link.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; Yesterday at 07:14 PM.