Old 02-27-2019, 07:07 PM

Here's my take on it. There certainly many Dems who live in the fact-free zone, but virtually all Reps live there.

Ducks.
Old 02-28-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
While I appreciate your fighting back against that nonsense, a quick flip for the stats: it's not that 56% of men are anti-vax, it's that 56% of anti-vaxxers are men. (I did a double-take when I saw what you'd written and went to the article to check). Important difference!

Michael, if you can't see the sexism in this passage you wrote, I dunno what to tell you:
To be fair, he did say he based that on online experience. The vast majority of online anti vaxxing does come from women.

So they are just louder about it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.liv...are-women.html

Also interestingly, twice as many young people do support it.
As you'll see in links already cited.

So having his perspective was actually quite understandable.

Last edited by Littleman; 02-28-2019 at 07:01 PM.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:21 PM

According to this new poll, support for mandatory childhood vaccinations is becoming a left-right issue. 70% of liberals support mandatory vaccinations, while only 54% of conservatives do.

Quote:
While some prominent Democrats, such as Robert Kennedy Jr., have promoted unscientific claims that vaccines damage children, Republican elected officials have been more likely to be skeptical. Those concerns seem to be filtering down to GOP voters, according to a new Hill-HarrisX poll.
Broken down by party affiliation, similar trends are apparent with 54 percent of Republicans favoring vaccine requirements along with 59 percent of independents and 68 percent of Democrats.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:20 PM

Liberal with an ultra-conservative conspiracy theorist landlord checking in.

My landlord is fairly vehemently anti-vaxx.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreysonCarlisle View Post
According to this new poll, support for mandatory childhood vaccinations is becoming a left-right issue. 70% of liberals support mandatory vaccinations, while only 54% of conservatives do.
Keeping track of things like this, I do remember seeing a few years ago that there were similar number of liberals and conservatives that were antivaxxers, with slightly more liberals against them, very low numbers though. But now that leaders in the Republican party are coming as anti vaccine or "concerned" it is clear to me that we are seeing yet another issue that was not supposed to be a partizan one becoming one, and at a furious and harmful pace.

My theory is that the Republicans embrace more anti science, or conspiracies geared to seed distrust of science. The crank magnetism seen mostly among right wing conspiracy minded people, is causing many to encounter more of those conspiracies and they are not content with only one conspiracy, they adopt more thanks to their dependency on their sources.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
But now that leaders in the Republican party are coming as anti vaccine or "concerned" it is clear to me that we are seeing yet another issue that was not supposed to be a partizan one becoming one, and at a furious and harmful pace.
Agreed. This absolutely should not be partisan issue - neither should any science, really. And it's very problematic to me that it's becoming one. I can say at least "my" side is on the right with this one (there are some other anti-science things the tend prevalent on the left), but I shouldn't say that. It shouldn't matter. But I have no idea what can be done to stop polarization happening/furthering on this matter.

Last edited by Tzigone; 03-14-2019 at 06:44 PM.