Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 11:35 AM

Donald Trump announces presidential run

Link.

Should be a lot of lulz. It will be interesting to see how he handles a pathetic showing and humiliating defeat.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:39 AM

Sigh. This won't be good for anybody that doesn't write for Saturday Night Live or other comedy shows/performers.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:40 AM

BWAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Ha hahahahahahahahaha! Ohhhhhhhhhmygodican'tbreathe! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Let's go to the quarry and throw stuff down there!
Old 06-16-2015, 11:49 AM

Excellent.
Release 10 years of full financial disclosure NOW...
(The Don is a chap who has nothing to hide, correct?)
Old 06-16-2015, 11:51 AM

I hear the speech will be re-run later today.

On Comedy Central.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:54 AM

From the announcement:

Quote:
Trump said he would build a "great, great wall" on the southern border and that he would make Mexico pay for it.

Mexicans "are not our friends," he said.
Call me crazy, but I'm not seeing a lot of the Hispanic vote going his way.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

When he gets relegated to the Losers' Bracket debate, will he even show up?
Old 06-16-2015, 11:57 AM
Retired Straight Dope Staff
Charter Member

I have to admit, this makes me so happy.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
Call me crazy, but I'm not seeing a lot of the Hispanic vote going his way.
One wonders what he plans to do when he tells Mexico to pay for it and Mexico tells him where he can stick his giant wall.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvoryTowerDenizen View Post
I have to admit, this makes me so happy.
Does it? Don't entirely rule out the possibility that, through some freak combination of flukes, he might actually win . . . and then the most powerful republic in the world will be led by that extraterrestrial parasitic organism that lives on The Donald's scalp!
Old 06-16-2015, 12:10 PM
Retired Straight Dope Staff
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainGlutton View Post
Does it? Don't entirely rule out the possibility that, through some freak combination of flukes, he might actually win . . . and then the most powerful republic in the world will be led by that extraterrestrial parasitic organism that lives on The Donald's scalp!
All hail our new hirsute, alien overlords!
Old 06-16-2015, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

The Republican establishment must be seething. What many people already see as a group of candidates who are largely a joke, now have a real joke running. He's going to get suppport, too, quite a bit of it. It means he's going to the debates into a comedy show, and it also means that a serious candidate is going to be bumped off the stage since Fox News is only letting 10 candidates in the main debate. Right now, that looks like it could be Chris Christie or Rick Perry. They probably have no shot anyway, but they would elevate the debate as opposed to pulling it down.

Well, maybe not Rick Perry, but Christie actually does have ideas and was at one time a favorite to win the nomination. Chris Wallace and Megyn ZKelly are both moderating the debate, and both can get quite cantakerous, even with Republicans. Wallace has been on somewhat of a roll lately and he doesn't suffer fools gladly.

With just a little bit of movement, it could be Santorum getting bumped.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRay View Post
Excellent.
Release 10 years of full financial disclosure NOW...
(The Don is a chap who has nothing to hide, correct?)
This is the reason I thought he never ever would run, just threaten to. I would think he wouldn't want people to really see his finances. He is super rich, but not as rich and successful as he'd like people to think

Also, the Democratic National Committee had the best response ever:

Quote:
In a tongue-in-cheek statement, the Democratic National Committee welcomed Trump to the crowded Republican field: “Today, Donald Trump became the second major Republican candidate to announce for president in two days,” said spokeswoman Holly Shulman. “He adds some much-needed seriousness that has previously been lacking from the GOP field, and we look forward to hearing more about his ideas for the nation.”
The perfect response. Or it's the most perfect response possible until Jon Stewart comments tonight.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar Mundane View Post
He's going to get suppport, too, quite a bit of it.
What makes you say that?
Old 06-16-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Lowry View Post
This is the reason I thought he never ever would run, just threaten to. I would think he wouldn't want people to really see his finances. He is super rich, but not as rich and successful as he'd like people to think
He's not even Super Rich. There's some solid questions as to whether or not he's even a Billionaire once you count his debts. "Fuckface Von Clownstick" greatly inflates the imaginary "brand value" of his name and includes that in his estimates of his net worth. No one in the real world is going to tell you that this is real wealth.

There's a precisely ZERO chance that he sticks around long enough to do a full disclosure.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
With just a little bit of movement, it could be Santorum getting bumped.
. . . OK, there's got to be a sophomoric pun in there somewhere . . .
Old 06-16-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
He's not even Super Rich. There's some solid questions as to whether or not he's even a Billionaire once you count his debts. "Fuckface Von Clownstick" greatly inflates the imaginary "brand value" of his name and includes that in his estimates of his net worth. No one in the real world is going to tell you that this is real wealth.

There's a precisely ZERO chance that he sticks around long enough to do a full disclosure.
When does he have to do a full disclosure?
Old 06-16-2015, 01:09 PM

Just when you thought all of the clowns had emerged from the Pubbie clown car, here comes the biggest clown of all!
Old 06-16-2015, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainGlutton View Post
. . . OK, there's got to be a sophomoric pun in there somewhere . . .
Trump barges in, squeezing out Santorum.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
I don't think he has to at all. There will probably be a couple who disclose and then try, along with the media, to shame the rest into disclosure.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

This is the exact same cheap shit stunt he pulled last time. All he's looking for is buzz so his tv show won't get cancelled.

He cannot run for pres if he has a tv show. And the people reporting on this know he's just looking for publicity. They may even know the deal, for next season, has already been inked, and he actually can't run!

They don't care about that conflict of interest in reporting this news because they are shameless, and only care about ratings.

Y'all are soooooo easy!
Old 06-16-2015, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Old 06-16-2015, 01:28 PM

What is it about today's GOP that invites such a motley crew of basically performance artists into its presidential primaries? There just doesn't seem to be any equivalent of this phenomenon on the Democratic side; not since Al Sharpton stopped running anyway...
Old 06-16-2015, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
He doesn't have to ever do a full disclosure. Investments are reported in ranges. If you have $2M in stock ABC, it is reported as "between $1m and $5M. The highest range is "above $50M." which could be $2B or $51M. We all know Trump is very wealthy, but we'll never find out exactly how wealthy.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:47 PM

I'm surprised he actually announced this time. One thing I do look forward to is someone who will speak his mind, for good and for ill. He's certainly not of the "practiced candidate" strain, which should be refreshing. We'll see.

Financially, he claims to have over $8 billion after debts. If so, he could self fund if he wanted to, and won't have to go out hat in hand to the usual players and constituencies, telling them all what they want to hear.

I think there's a very slim chance he can get the nomination, and the only route to doing so would be to run a campaign the likes of which I don't think we've ever seen. That alone would be a terrific thing to see. Everything is so friggin polled and practiced. I'm up for something different. In the same way I like the fact that Al Franken became a senator, even if he's way to liberal for me.

Come on, Bernie! What a match-up that would be: Trump vs Sanders. Talk about your clear choices.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The wind of my soul View Post
What makes you say that?
In 2012, during the brief period where he pretended to run, his favorability ratings were 1st or 2nd to Romney, depending upon the polls.

Also, a lot of Republicans throw their support behind whichever candidate agitates the Democrats the most. That's why they loved Sarah Palin even though she was clearly an idiot and had no shot.

I'm not saying he's got a chance of winning, just that he's going to be a huge disruption. He'll drop out soon enough, blaming the liberal media and Obama for...something.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Rump View Post
What is it about today's GOP that invites such a motley crew of basically performance artists into its presidential primaries? There just doesn't seem to be any equivalent of this phenomenon on the Democratic side; not since Al Sharpton stopped running anyway...
Other than Trump, who do you mean. Most of them are not my cup of tea, but with the exception of Fiorina, aren't they all congressmen or governors? Oh, I guess there's Carson, but he'll be out in the first round. If you're including those. Chafee has got to be the biggest joke. It boggles the mine that he ever got elected to anything. Maybe his mind has been deteriorating. At least that would explain his move from Rep to Dem.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
In 2012, during the brief period where he pretended to run, his favorability ratings were 1st or 2nd to Romney, depending upon the polls.

Also, a lot of Republicans throw their support behind whichever candidate agitates the Democrats the most. That's why they loved Sarah Palin even though she was clearly an idiot and had no shot.

I'm not saying he's got a chance of winning, just that he's going to be a huge disruption. He'll drop out soon enough, blaming the liberal media and Obama for...something.
Assuming he gets the nomination, who do you think he'd pick as a running mate? I think he needs someone with political chops—and who he hasn't lambasted? Walker? Cruz? Kasich? Someone not currently running?
Old 06-16-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbows View Post
This is the exact same cheap shit stunt he pulled last time. All he's looking for is buzz so his tv show won't get cancelled.

He cannot run for pres if he has a tv show. And the people reporting on this know he's just looking for publicity. They may even know the deal, for next season, has already been inked, and he actually can't run!

They don't care about that conflict of interest in reporting this news because they are shameless, and only care about ratings.

Y'all are soooooo easy!
I'm fairly sure he never actually said he'd run last time. He kept saying that he might, and how he'd be the greatest president ever if he did, and better than Obama who wouldn't even show his birth certificate. But he never announced he'd run.

And there have already been stories about how it might affect his TV show:

Quote:
NBC, the broadcaster of Trump's reality show "Celebrity Apprentice," immediately said it would monitor his candidacy and reconsider his role on the show.

"We will re-evaluate Trump's role as host of 'Celebrity Apprentice' should it become necessary, as we are committed to this franchise," the network said in a statement.
Quote:
He doesn't have to ever do a full disclosure. Investments are reported in ranges. If you have $2M in stock ABC, it is reported as "between $1m and $5M. The highest range is "above $50M." which could be $2B or $51M. We all know Trump is very wealthy, but we'll never find out exactly how wealthy.
I looked and found this article about disclosure. You're right in that it is in ranges, but it sounds like it's still more scrutiny than Trump would want on his finances. And here's the official rules on disclosure timing:

Quote:
Federal law requires presidential candidates to file disclosures within 30 days of announcing their candidacy, or on May 15, whichever is later. They can get two extensions of up to 45 days each, and the Federal Election Commission can take up to 30 days to release the filings. So it could be September before the candidates who declared first have to say anything publicly.
So I guess Trump could stay in until September and get a lot of airtime until then, but then decide to drop out and say how he'd better serve the country in other ways or something, and never actually disclose information publically.
Old 06-16-2015, 02:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan01 View Post
Assuming he gets the nomination, who do you think he'd pick as a running mate? I think he needs someone with political chops—and who he hasn't lambasted? Walker? Cruz? Kasich? Someone not currently running?
It's too farfetched to even consider. Truthfully, I don't even think he wants to be President. It'd be a big step down in lifestyle and a big step up in workload. Sure, he could still play golf, but the base course at Andrews Air Forse Base isn't exactly close to Trump National courses. No more hanging with the Miss America contestants, either.
Old 06-16-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
As each Republican candidate spoke at the debate, it became obvious that each had at least of bit of Santorum in them, and none of them could keep it in.
Old 06-16-2015, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan01 View Post
Financially, he claims to have over $8 billion after debts. If so, he could self fund if he wanted to, and won't have to go out hat in hand to the usual players and constituencies, telling them all what they want to hear.
And hey- if his run fails, all he has to do is declare bankruptcy. Again.

Trump 2016! We shall overcomb! If he doesn't win, there will be hell toupee!
Old 06-16-2015, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightnin' View Post
And hey- if his run fails, all he has to do is declare bankruptcy. Again.

Trump 2016! We shall overcomb! If he doesn't win, there will be hell toupee!
Nice!
Old 06-16-2015, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

This is a major plus for the Santorum campaign. With Cruz, Carson, Fiorina, Paul, and now Trump in the race, he's dropped off the "Five Least Credible Republican Candidates" list.
Old 06-16-2015, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

Here's what I thought while reading your post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
BWAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Huh--awesome.
Quote:
Ha hahahahahahahahaha!
You're done with that schtick!
Quote:
Ohhhhhhhhhmygodican'tbreathe!
You've finally realized how annoying it is and just tell us that you're laughing!
Quote:
He HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Thank you!
Quote:
Let's go to the quarry and throw stuff down there!
GODDAMMIT!

Last edited by Left Hand of Dorkness; 06-16-2015 at 03:02 PM.
Old 06-16-2015, 03:29 PM

Palin --- Trump 2016 !

v. Bernhardi ---- Germany and the Next War
Old 06-16-2015, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claverhouse View Post
Palin --- Trump 2016 !
That's the Democratic dream ticket, though Trump-Carson would also be good.
Old 06-16-2015, 03:38 PM

Or, IOW, "The Donald pulls cheap, shameless publicity stunt yet again". It's astounding that any media anywhere, outside of SNL and the Daily Show, considers this in any way "news".

Republicans should really be asking themselves why it's always their party that attracts this sort of circus sideshow.
Old 06-16-2015, 03:42 PM

He knows he not electable. He's just there to pull the political discussion further to the right.
Old 06-16-2015, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Sun Jester View Post
He knows he not electable. He's just there to pull the political discussion further to the right.
He's no more capable of pulling the political discussion anywhere than that dead weasel he wears on his head. I think it's naive to think that he has any motivation that doesn't have the words "Donald Trump" in it.
Old 06-16-2015, 03:51 PM

The Donald/Omarosa 2016
Old 06-16-2015, 05:20 PM

Well, at least he's in this time. I don't think he can beat Clinton, so he's not someone I'm interested in.
Old 06-16-2015, 06:33 PM
Charter Member

Well, as a poster said, this should be refreshing; and indeed, after laughing for a while many do feel refreshed today.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Sun Jester View Post
Please. He doesn't give a damn about any ideology. The only thing he's trying to do is pull public attention trumpward.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:09 PM

Looking to be Cthulhu's VP?
Old 06-16-2015, 08:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Let's go to the quarry and throw stuff down there!
I'm sorry, the quarry went down the rabbit hole.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post
Well, at least he's in this time. I don't think he can beat Clinton, so he's not someone I'm interested in.
What's wrong with Clinton?
Old 06-16-2015, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

Don't count out the Donald. Nobody ever lost money underestimating the craziness of the GOP primary voter. Current polling puts him ahead of Perry, Santorum, Fiorina, Kasich, Graham and Jindal.

Just ahead of him are Bush, Walker, Rubio, Carson, Huckabee, Paul, Cruz and Christie. So he's number 9.

I find it hilarious that the GOP's fiscal expert (Kasich) and foreign policy expert (Graham) are relegated to the farm team slot.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
What's wrong with Clinton?
SHe's better than Obama, but I think we can do better.
Old 06-17-2015, 02:30 AM

Trump didn't mince any words, and neither does this Reuters article (as re-published on Yahoo News):

With barbs and bluster, Trump barges into 2016 White House race

Quote:
By Alana Wise

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Real estate mogul and TV personality Donald Trump barged his way into the 2016 U.S. presidential election on Tuesday in a blitz of boasts, inflammatory comments and attacks on both fellow Republicans and President Barack Obama's administration.

Trump wallowed in political incorrectness as he insulted everyone from Mexican immigrants to Jeb Bush and U.S. ally

Saudi Arabia in announcing his bid for the Republican nomination.

"I will be the greatest jobs president that God ever created," Trump predicted in a long, combative speech in the atrium of Trump Tower on Manhattan's Fifth Avenue.

[ . . . ]
Closed Thread