Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 09:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoR View Post
Just because there wasn't much of a competition there was actually a primary on the Democratic side. People besides Obama won delegates (I believe all stripped pre-convention by the DNC for rules violations.) She's obviously willing to cross parties so she could have voted in the other if there wasn't a competitor to Obama in her state.
Actually ignore my post. I confused years.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terr View Post
Actually ignore my post. I confused years.
I get it. My first reaction was thinking I was confused about years.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:07 PM
Charter Member

Abraham Trump's Gettysburg Address:
Thanks. What an incredible crowd. They tell me this is the biggest crowd in the history of the North.

A while back some founders got together. And I mean they were good people but they really didnít know anything about building a country. Címon, you know, letís face facts. Franklin with his little glasses and Washington with those horrible dentures ó it was a nightmare. They didnít know what the hell they were doing.

So then everyone comes to me and they say, ďPlease help us weíre in this terrible mess.Ē And believe me I knew this was gonna happen because our leaders were a total disaster who didnít have a clue how to negotiate. Not the first clue, OK. Itís crazy. And I knew em all. Millard Filmore? The guy was a trainwreck. Franklin Pierce? A complete moron. Moron.
It goes on.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:14 AM

Trump vs. Paul

After Paul came out recently with an ad using Trump's own words against him, albeit from 20 years ago, Trump mocked him and told him to get out of the race through the Washington Post. Paul also sends a response to that about an hour later. Some choice highlights:

Trump:

Quote:
"Rand Paul is doing so poorly in the polls he has to revert to old footage of me discussing positions I no longer hold."
Quote:
"Recently, Rand Paul called me and asked me to play golf. I easily beat him on the golf course and will even more easily beat him now, in the world in the politics."
Quote:
"Senator Paul has no chance of wining the nomination and the people of Kentucky should not allow him the privilege of remaining their Senator."
Paul's response is full of defensive reactions typical of someone on the ropes:

Quote:
"Rand Paul is the one following in the footsteps of Reagan, setting the intellectual agenda for a conservative movement of change. Rand stands for principle."
Quote:
"While he appreciates Donald's golf skills, I will note that [the game] was on his home course that he plays often."
Paul seems to have been caught off guard. Trump's message was all mocking, telling him to get out of the race, calling him an idiot and a backup Senator (since he's still trying to run simultaneously for his Kentucky senate seat), and Paul is just flabbergasted and even compliments his golf came. He wants to stay above the fray, but if he keeps responding to insults with half-assed praise, it'll just make him seem weaker and dumber to Trump's rabid followers. Love this fight though, this is so entertaining!
Old 08-13-2015, 12:44 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Measure for Measure View Post
Genius, I tell you, genius!
Old 08-13-2015, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Giving Trump his due, I think he's right about this at least:
Quote:
“I thought that Jeb Bush made a horrible mistake when he blew the whole situation on women’s health — you know the women’s health issue,” Trump said in an interview with Sean Hannity on Fox News. “A week ago, what he said was unbelievable. Essentially he said he was not going to fund it. I think that will go down as Jeb Bush’s 47% — the 47% to Romney that probably cost him the election.”
Old 08-13-2015, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Abraham Trump's Gettysburg Address:
Thanks. What an incredible crowd. They tell me this is the biggest crowd in the history of the North.

A while back some founders got together. And I mean they were good people but they really didnít know anything about building a country. Címon, you know, letís face facts. Franklin with his little glasses and Washington with those horrible dentures ó it was a nightmare. They didnít know what the hell they were doing.

So then everyone comes to me and they say, ďPlease help us weíre in this terrible mess.Ē And believe me I knew this was gonna happen because our leaders were a total disaster who didnít have a clue how to negotiate. Not the first clue, OK. Itís crazy. And I knew em all. Millard Filmore? The guy was a trainwreck. Franklin Pierce? A complete moron. Moron.
It goes on.
My side is still aching from reading that!! A true classic!
Old 08-13-2015, 04:27 PM
BANNED

This sounds like Trump is taking Iowa quite seriously. Not resting on his laurels (polls).
Old 08-16-2015, 01:45 PM
BANNED

.. and the latest national poll: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/inte...ns-on-clinton/

Trump: 25%
Carson: 12%
Cruz: 10%
Bush: 9%
Huckabee and Walker: both at 6%
Old 08-16-2015, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terr View Post
.. and the latest national poll: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/inte...ns-on-clinton/

Trump: 25%
Carson: 12%
Cruz: 10%
Bush: 9%
Huckabee and Walker: both at 6%
That is awesome. Go Trump go!
Old 08-17-2015, 10:21 AM

I'm not surprised Bush took a tumble, he didn't really impress with the red meat for primary-type voters though I guess the polling probably takes a general sample size rather than the most fervent GOP voters. I am surprised though at Carson and Cruz, I thought they didn't do that well at all but I guess somebody had to gobble up the lost percentage points by Bush.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Link.

Should be a lot of lulz. It will be interesting to see how he handles a pathetic showing and humiliating defeat.
Well...
It was at least partially correct.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:55 AM

Holy crap, thanks for awakening this beast. Anyone looking for a sig?
Quote:
That is awesome. Go Trump go!
Old 03-12-2019, 07:00 AM

Not my finest bit of political prognoscation.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:02 AM

Yes, I suspect iiandyiiii - and a few others - will be re-reading this thread with a certain amount of cringing horror.

ETA: Ninja'd by the Cringing Horror himself.

Last edited by Gyrate; 03-12-2019 at 07:03 AM.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:11 AM

The horror I feel at my own past idiocy is minuscule compared to my horror at the ongoing catastrophe of the Trump presidency. And at least I know better now than to make predictions, unless I'm just parroting Nate Silver (who remains the gold standard political prognosticator, IMO).
Old 03-12-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
The horror I feel at my own past idiocy is minuscule compared to my horror at the ongoing catastrophe of the Trump presidency. And at least I know better now than to make predictions, unless I'm just parroting Nate Silver (who remains the gold standard political prognosticator, IMO).
Yeah, I tell my kids "Never bet on sports or politics. Life is too crazy."

I would've bet my bank account on Not Trump in '16...
Old 03-12-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
YES! GO TRUMP GO! You tell 'em, SA! I desperately hope that the Republican party is filled with folks like you, and they carry Trump all the way to the nomination!
https://www.soundboard.com/sb/sound/884129

SA must have been too classy to revisit and rub it in.

But I'm not.

You haven't learned an important lesson; I don't think you ever will. You're mostly talking about prognostications now, though many good prognosticators don't ever have reason to speak of past idiocy and they were also wrong this time.

SPOILER:
If you want to take away all excuses for voting for Donald Trump all you need to do is stop attributing covfefe actions of adult citizens, who may be eligible to vote I might add, to white supremacy. When you don't do this, the people in the states that outnumber you think to themselves, "Is that so... Well, two can play that game." Once you rediscover moral agency for all legally competent adults, those excuses become covfefe.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:30 AM

When I clicked on this thread today I thought it was a thread about Trump's 2020 run.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covfefe View Post
https://www.soundboard.com/sb/sound/884129

SA must have been too classy to revisit and rub it in.

But I'm not.

You haven't learned an important lesson; I don't think you ever will. You're mostly talking about prognostications now, though many good prognosticators don't ever have reason to speak of past idiocy and they were also wrong this time.

SPOILER:
If you want to take away all excuses for voting for Donald Trump all you need to do is stop attributing covfefe actions of adult citizens, who may be eligible to vote I might add, to white supremacy. When you don't do this, the people in the states that outnumber you think to themselves, "Is that so... Well, two can play that game." Once you rediscover moral agency for all legally competent adults, those excuses become covfefe.
This appears to be gibberish. Can't make heads or tales of it.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Link.

Should be a lot of lulz. It will be interesting to see how he handles a pathetic showing and humiliating defeat.
Narrator: This did not happen.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:03 AM

There were a few early prognosticators who, through luck or foresight, landed on the right side of the result:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainGlutton View Post
Does it? Don't entirely rule out the possibility that, through some freak combination of flukes, he might actually win . . . and then the most powerful republic in the world will be led by that extraterrestrial parasitic organism that lives on The Donald's scalp!
Quote:
Don't count out the Donald. Nobody ever lost money underestimating the craziness of the GOP primary voter.
In fact some folks were strangely prescient...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Lowry View Post
Not only will Trump suck up publicity, but he'll also shine a light on some Republican issues in a way others might not like. Like here, when an RNC official pretty much went along with what Trump was saying about immigrants, though he wouldn't have used the same language.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley Dweller View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Knig View Post
A Facebook friend just re-posted a quote from Trump's FB page about how terrible Obamacare is. It was an incoherent, cherry-picking mess of a quote, even less connected to reality than the usual GOP anti-Obamacare rants. Yet my friend forwarded it, and other people clicked the like button. The Hairpiece is going to get votes in the primaries, lots of them, more than enough to justify keeping his campaign going as long as he wants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan01 View Post
Yes, I think many here will be shocked to see how will Trump does. Not only with Reps, but with Independents. A LOT of people are really tired of the same old bullshit. A lot on the left, too, but for them Trumps more conservative politics make him not an option.
But at least I didn't automatically dismiss him out of hand and assume he was too unpalatable for the country...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
No, just let him keep talking. I mean, Republican candidates have had great success in the past talking about rape, and I'm sure the same will be true for Trump.
Oh, goddammit...
Old 03-12-2019, 10:11 AM

This bump reminded me of another thread and whaddya know, iiandyiiii also started the wildly successful:
The 2016 Election Schadenfreude thread

Last edited by CarnalK; 03-12-2019 at 10:12 AM.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
This bump reminded me of another thread and whaddya know, iiandyiiii also started the wildly successful:
The 2016 Election Schadenfreude thread
I enjoy that tradition, and plan to continue it, hell or high water.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

Heartbreaking. We were all so young and naive back then...
Old 03-12-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
I enjoy that tradition, and plan to continue it, hell or high water.
It was ironic that this site became the place to go to.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
It was ironic that this site became the place to go to.
Indeed, though the original intent of the thread did not preclude mocking/laughing at other Dopers. I'm sure much fun was had by all; what's good for the goose is good for the gander.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:19 AM

For what it's worth, lots of Dopers were wrong way wrong in this thread. Even Trump didn't think he was going to win.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:33 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Enough

I think we have enough similar threads without zombies.

Closed.
Closed Thread