Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 03:15 AM

Let the mockery begin! Here's some from last time:

Donald Trump has been saying that he will run for president as a Republican, which is surprising because I just assumed he was running as a joke.

Gary Busey said recently that Donald Trump would make a good president. Of course, he said the same thing about an old rusty birdcage he found.

Donald Trump often appears on Fox, which is ironic, because a fox often appears on Donald Trump’s head.

Trump recently said he has a great relationship with the Blacks, although unless the Blacks are a family of white people, I bet he's mistaken.

(All of these, incidentally, are from Seth Meyers's speech at the 2011 White House Correspondents' Dinner, where he also said: "CSPAN is one unpaid electric bill away from being a radio station. People think Bin Laden is hiding out out in the Hindu Kush, but did you know that everyday from 4 to 5 he hosts a show on CSPAN?" less than two days before Bin Laden's death.)
Old 06-17-2015, 06:26 AM

I'd vote for The Todd before I'd vote for The Donald.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan01 View Post
Other than Trump, who do you mean. Most of them are not my cup of tea, but with the exception of Fiorina, aren't they all congressmen or governors? Oh, I guess there's Carson, but he'll be out in the first round. If you're including those. Chafee has got to be the biggest joke. It boggles the mine that he ever got elected to anything. Maybe his mind has been deteriorating. At least that would explain his move from Rep to Dem.
What's wrong with Chafee? Certainly not a big name, but I haven't heard him say anything that should mark him as "the biggest joke". Despite his past Republican-hood, he seems like a mainstream Democrat to me.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
What's wrong with Chafee? Certainly not a big name, but I haven't heard him say anything that should mark him as "the biggest joke". Despite his past Republican-hood, he seems like a mainstream Democrat to me.
Well, party-jumpers will always suffer from an appearance of being opportunistic politicial carpetbaggers. Look at what happened to Arlen Specter.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

I wonder if Jon Stewart is regretting, even slightly, his decision to retire. But I suspect that Trump may withdraw before Stewart retires (the last show is August 6).
Old 06-17-2015, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Other than Trump, who do you mean. Most of them are not my cup of tea, but with the exception of Fiorina, aren't they all congressmen or governors? Oh, I guess there's Carson, but he'll be out in the first round. If you're including those. Chafee has got to be the biggest joke. It boggles the mine that he ever got elected to anything. Maybe his mind has been deteriorating. At least that would explain his move from Rep to Dem.
Besides Trump, I have in mind Herman Cain in 2012, Sarah Palin (who would have been taken more or less seriously by much of the party, had she chosen to run in 2012), and as you mentioned Ben Carson in this cycle.

Not saying that joke candidates dominate the GOP field or anything, just that it seems to be more of a phenomenon than on the Democratic side. In 2008, the most ridiculous Dem candidate AFAICT was Mike Gravel, and he was a former senator.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:47 AM
SDSAB

Just seen on Twitter: "Trump 2016: We Shall Overcomb."
Old 06-17-2015, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Here is Jon Stewart's reaction and here is Stephen Colbert's reaction.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbows View Post
This is the exact same cheap shit stunt he pulled last time. All he's looking for is buzz so his tv show won't get cancelled.

He cannot run for pres if he has a tv show. And the people reporting on this know he's just looking for publicity. They may even know the deal, for next season, has already been inked, and he actually can't run!

They don't care about that conflict of interest in reporting this news because they are shameless, and only care about ratings.

Y'all are soooooo easy!
NBC has already said that there would be no Apprentice now that he's officially entered the race. He's flirted with it before but this time he's actually in for the first time.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandWino View Post
NBC has already said that there would be no Apprentice now that he's officially entered the race. He's flirted with it before but this time he's actually in for the first time.
I thought they merely said they're reevaluate his show's status should it become necessary. He'll drop out in the 120 day window he has before filing detailed financial data.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandWino View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
I thought they merely said they're reevaluate his show's status should it become necessary. He'll drop out in the 120 day window he has before filing detailed financial data.
"We will re-evaluate Trump’s role as host of “Celebrity Apprentice” should it become necessary, as we are committed to this franchise," said Rebecca Marks, executive vice president of publicity for NBCUniversal Television Group.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/...ce-208930.html
Old 06-17-2015, 09:41 AM

I don't think any polling numbers at this stage of the game mean a damned thing.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:59 AM

I'm sure one of Donald's children could step into the role of host of the show if he really was serious about the presidency. But I don't think he is.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:41 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post
SHe's better than Obama, but I think we can do better.
But, except for Sanders, who has not a chance, no one better is running.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Rump View Post
Not saying that joke candidates dominate the GOP field or anything, just that it seems to be more of a phenomenon than on the Democratic side. In 2008, the most ridiculous Dem candidate AFAICT was Mike Gravel, and he was a former senator.
The Democratic side does a better job ignoring their "you gotta be kidding me" candidates. That doesn't mean they aren't there. Willie Carter has been a Democratic candidate since 1988 (and he's declared this year too.) God told him to run in a prophetic vision. He makes Huckabee look secular. Maybe the 8th candidacy is the charm.

In 2012, a convicted and imprisoned felon that only filed in one state picked up 42% of the votes in the Democratic primary against Obama. Although later stripped of his delegates, he actually won some. Trump should be so lucky.

Somehow the Republicans manage to find people with to much name recognition and/or money to completely ignore before they get tossed to the curb.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:42 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Assuming he gets the nomination, who do you think he'd pick as a running mate?
Oprah.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:21 AM

Apart from wanting this on general principles, I would also look forward to the President of the United States having had buildings he named after himself, pre-election, where Sex Expos were held.

The inaugural Exxxotica Fan Choice Awards, also known as "The Fannys", was held on April 20, 2013 in the Grand Ballroom of the Trump Taj Mahal.

Not since the days of Chester A. Arthur ( prolly a most respectable old coot ) whose grandson became a Sexologist ( and arms-supplier to terrorists ) has there been more louche a choice to bring down the Republic.

Obviously, from my slogan, I would prefer him to partner with the previous vice-presidential candidate, Mrs Palin, to bring much-needed experience to his gravitas. But which takes the position and which is ceremonial I care not. Maybe they could share the responsibility if the US moves to the Roman model of twin consuls.

Palin --- Trump 2016 !

Here's a picture of Madame Palin with her then running-mate in '08.

Sarah and John

Feel the Love !!!

v. Bernhardi ---- Germany and the Next War
Old 06-17-2015, 11:23 AM

I think of Trump as Zaphod Beeblebrox but with only one head and without the cool hoopy frood factor.

So serious question. There seems to be uniform agreement that his canidacy is just an exercise in self promotion and even he doesn't actually expect to have any chance what-so-ever of actually winning the nomination, but to what extend does this extend to his announcement speech.

Looking over the transcript it appears to be almost entirely, look at me, look at how rich and powerful I am, me ,me me me me. Which reinforces everyone's negative opinion of him a an egotistical jerk. So the question is, was Trump trolling when he gave this speech? Did he make it appalling on purpose knowing that the more appalling it is the more press he will get? Or is his ego really so large that he thinks spouting on and on about how great he is will actually convince people?
Old 06-17-2015, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Total 100% Grade A troll.

His show is on summer hiatus, and slipping in the ratings. Worked once, why wouldn't it work again? America has apparently not gotten any smarter, based on the airtime this story continues to get. I mean, it's the exact same sham!
Old 06-17-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Total 100% Grade A troll.

His show is on summer hiatus, and slipping in the ratings. Worked once, why wouldn't it work again? America has apparently not gotten any smarter, based on the airtime this story continues to get. I mean, it's the exact same sham!
You keep saying this, but I don't get your point. He announced he's running for president. It makes America stupid to know this fact?
Old 06-17-2015, 12:06 PM

I'm a Trump Birther. I don't think that thing on his head is a natural born citizen. From what I can tell, it has dug in and replaced his brain, so its citizenship , er ... trumps ... his.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:08 PM

Regarding the speech from yesterday - I kept getting flashbacks to Clint Eastwood at the Republican National Convention debating with an empty chair. In both cases, it felt like they figured just bashing Democrats was enough, and any more substance or preparation wasn't necessary. Perhaps that's a result of too much time in the echo chamber?

In terms of a running mate - I'm hoping and praying for an "Apprentice - Running Mate Edition". A bunch of 20-something political newbies hoping to be on the Donald's ticket would be reality TV gold.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

He's not though, he's promoting his show. By being the news. Story originating on a network that profits from his show

Exactly like he did last time. Exactly.

The very same news outlets, the very same story, the very same stunt. So transparent, and everyone laughs but it's a titch embarrassing I think. That's all I'm saying.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:16 PM

Maybe he can run his show for a while by have people compete to be his vice president.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainGlutton View Post
. . . OK, there's got to be a sophomoric pun in there somewhere . . .
Santorum must be frothing over this.

I absolutely loathe Donald Trump but I can't help but feel the timing of his announcement was meant to take the wind out of Jeb's sails and that makes me like him a teeny, tiny, bit.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:33 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainGlutton View Post
But, except for Sanders, who has not a chance, no one better is running.
On the contrary: https://martinomalley.com/
Old 06-17-2015, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegoid View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wise
"I will be the greatest jobs president that God ever created," Trump predicted in a long, combative speech in the atrium of Trump Tower on Manhattan's Fifth Avenue.
This, from a guy whose highest-profile current occupation is telling people, "You're fired!"
Old 06-17-2015, 12:49 PM

I'd love to see a Trump-Omarosa ticket. Heee! It's been far far too long since we had Spiro Agnew to kick around. Omarosa would fill the bill quite nicely. She can't keep her mouth shut at appropriate times, either. And wouldn't we love it when she started a roll-around-on-the-floor chick fight at a White House function?

But knowing The Donald, his running mate would be one of his kids. He likes keeping things (money) in the family, after all. That being said, Ivanka is a pretty savvy young thing and did very well at Penn. If they get elected, we could shoot The Donald and let Ivanka run the country.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:18 PM

How about we go full birther and have a Trump-Orly Taitz ticket?
Old 06-17-2015, 01:47 PM

Quote:
He's not though, he's promoting his show. By being the news. Story originating on a network that profits from his show

Exactly like he did last time. Exactly.

The very same news outlets, the very same story, the very same stunt. So transparent, and everyone laughs but it's a titch embarrassing I think. That's all I'm saying.
I don't understand why you keep saying it's exactly like last time. He never said he would run for president last time. He kept saying he was considering it, and how he'd be super great if was president, but he never said he'd run. And at one point he said he officially wouldn't, because business is his passion. So everyone is laughing harder this time since he's actually throwing his hat into the ring.

Also, it's funny this time because of the number of candidates. If it was just Bush and Walker and maybe Santorum running, then I think Trump would just be relegated to more "news of the weird" type news. But since there are 20 candidates for the Republicans, and Trump is polling better than several of them with actual political experience, that's what makes it bad for Republicans and funny for everyone else.
Old 06-17-2015, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillownedbysetters View Post
I'd love to see a Trump-Omarosa ticket.
Well they just lost Piers' vote.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
here is Stephen Colbert's reaction.
I was so, so happy when I saw that earlier. His character may be gone, but he's still willing to bring out the satire.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:11 PM

Rachel Maddow is reporting on a Hollywood Reporter story that Trump used paid extras to fill the room for his presidential declaration.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:47 PM

At $50 per extra, he filled the room!
Old 06-17-2015, 09:02 PM
SDSAB

This all reminds me... back in the day, the satirical magazine Spy would always refer to The Donald on first reference as "short-fingered vulgarian Donald Trump."

Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 06-17-2015 at 09:02 PM.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:27 AM

I'm really looking forward to Candidate Trump. He's going to be hurling handgrenades every day, and at least as much at other Republicans as he does at Hilary.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:22 PM

He's Hillary's early Christmas present. Just wait till the debates. He's going to suck all the oxygen from the room. The only sound bites you're going to remember will be his. The highlights that get repeated for three days will be him bashing his fellow Republicans. I can't wait for the first one, even though it's on Fox.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

I'm really hoping that he appears in the primary debates, although he's probably going to drop out before he has to file the financial statements.
Old 06-18-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
I'm really hoping that he appears in the primary debates, although he's probably going to drop out before he has to file the financial statements.
One of those TV pundits claimed last noght that Trump could get in on the 1st scheduled debate before he has to disclose anything.

And personally, I don't expect him to disclose anything. If the FEC (are they the enforcers?) level some charge against him, he'll pay some lawyers to dance around, get stays and delays, until Trump decides to get out of the race, at which point his lawyers will argue that the dsclosure is moot.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyo Jim View Post
I'm really looking forward to Candidate Trump. He's going to be hurling handgrenades every day, and at least as much at other Republicans as he does at Hilary.
Yup, apparently he said he's more qualified than any dope Senator.

Grab the popcorn. If any of the other Republicans bite on this troll, it'll get really interesting and damned funny.

And of course, Carla Fiorina says we need to take him seriously. Of course we do, dear, just like you. Both con artists, both 'business leaders' without a lick of real political experience.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
... Carla Fiorina says we need to take him seriously. ...
Bless her heart!
Old 06-18-2015, 09:30 PM

This guy thinks Trump may be good for the GOP. Maybe. The other candidates may pound on the unpopular Trump rather than each other, but I still think the Hairpiece will suck up most of the publicity in the room. Maybe losing to The Donald may be the thing that ends some of the campaigns. Each GOP candidate has their own pet billionaire to fund their campaigns, and can likely go on even after losing a few primaries. But if they lose to Trump they might then lose the "money primary". Anything to winnow the field would be good for the GOP, IMNAAHO.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:38 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Knig View Post
Anything to winnow the field would be good for the GOP, IMNAAHO.
However, the entertainment value of a 16-way free-for-all clusterfuck at the RNC would be priceless.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillownedbysetters View Post
But knowing The Donald, his running mate would be one of his kids. He likes keeping things (money) in the family, after all. That being said, Ivanka is a pretty savvy young thing and did very well at Penn. If they get elected, we could shoot The Donald and let Ivanka run the country.
You may be onto something. Footwear News (it's real) has reported that "shoe designer Ivanka Trump" has thrown her support behind Donald Trump. She's obviously jumping on the bandwagon early in order to improve her own personal standing.

She will turn 35 on October 30, 2016, so she will be just barely old enough to run. The only other Trumpling that is old enough to run is Donny Jr.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:16 AM

Trump goes after Charles Krauthammer with wheelchair jab.

The Donald may find himself not invited back to Fox. At any rate, a conundrum for those good folks - who do they support in this kerfuffle?
Old 06-19-2015, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
There was no need for that. There's plenty of good reasons to revile Krauthammer.

Quote:
The Donald may find himself not invited back to Fox
So what? He's an NBC guy.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Knig View Post
This guy thinks Trump may be good for the GOP. Maybe. The other candidates may pound on the unpopular Trump rather than each other, but I still think the Hairpiece will suck up most of the publicity in the room. Maybe losing to The Donald may be the thing that ends some of the campaigns. Each GOP candidate has their own pet billionaire to fund their campaigns, and can likely go on even after losing a few primaries. But if they lose to Trump they might then lose the "money primary". Anything to winnow the field would be good for the GOP, IMNAAHO.
Not only will Trump suck up publicity, but he'll also shine a light on some Republican issues in a way others might not like. Like here, when an RNC official pretty much went along with what Trump was saying about immigrants, though he wouldn't have used the same language.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

So sad to hear that he lost a billion dollars in the span of a day. In his campaign announcement, he claimed a net worth of over ten billion but in the Fox & Friends interview, he said it's "over nine billion." He should just take a suggestion from the movie The Manchurian Candidate and select a nice, easy-to-remember number. Like 57 billion dollars.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
Well, it's true that Krauthammer does nothing but sit there and be a jerk, but it's unfair to pick on him for the "sitting there" part.
Quote:
So sad to hear that he lost a billion dollars in the span of a day. In his campaign announcement, he claimed a net worth of over ten billion but in the Fox & Friends interview, he said it's "over nine billion." He should just take a suggestion from the movie The Manchurian Candidate and select a nice, easy-to-remember number. Like 57 billion dollars.
It depends which McDonalds sign he drives by on the way to the venue.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:13 AM

Quote:
He apparently values his name/brand as worth $3 billion by itself. Perhaps he thinks that running for POTUS reduces his stature? One would hope (although probably in vain) that if he becomes president that he would need to put his business dealings a side for while.
Closed Thread