Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 09:22 AM
SDSAB

Much as I disagree with Christie on the issues and suspect him in the bridge closure and other abuses of power, I would take him in a heartbeart over Trump for either President or Vice President. He at least has governing experience and some measure of self-discipline.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

It's a cheap shot, I know, but given Gov. Christie's waistline, how can you say he has "some measure of self-discipline"?
Old 06-25-2015, 10:01 AM
SDSAB

Let me emphasize that I am no admirer of Christie. But compared to Trump, he is not an egomaniac narcissist who instantly says whatever pops into his head. He has political if not, er, culinary self-discipline, which is more important in a public official.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Let me emphasize that I am no admirer of Christie. But compared to Trump, he is not an egomaniac narcissist who instantly says whatever pops into his head.
I was going to agree with you, then I reread what you wrote and thought "But that describes Christie really really well."
Old 06-25-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Blucher View Post
I've never met his ego; I've heard some of his statements and yes if any man on earth could inflate two Goodyear Blimps with hot air from both ends at the same time, its probably him.
That said (and those 4 bankruptcies aside) I can't remember a time when he has ever thrown away money; to be in the race, even just this far, must have cost him personally million$.
His campaign announcement has already lost him money: Univision Ends Miss Universe Business Deal Over Trump Mexico Comments
Old 06-25-2015, 02:49 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgoddess View Post
I was going to agree with you, then I reread what you wrote and thought "But that describes Christie really really well."
Heh. Well, I would put Christie a good bit farther down the spectrum of outspoken egomaniacal narcissism.
Old 06-25-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Heh. Well, I would put Christie a good bit farther down the spectrum of outspoken egomaniacal narcissism.
I dunno, Christie is a guy who shouts at and insults people who ask him uncomfortable questions at press conferences. So his ego is quite fragile, if not quite as large as Trump's.
Old 06-29-2015, 02:09 PM

NBC/Universal severs ties with Donald Trump

Quote:
The company said in a statement Monday that it is cutting off its business relationship with Donald Trump, who is now seeking the Republican presidential nomination. The decision comes as a result of inflammatory comments Trump made during his June 16 announcement event.

During that speech, the billionaire real estate magnate said, “When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. …. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.”

In its statement, NBC cited “derogatory comments” made by Trump “regarding immigrants,” in announcing its decision. The network says that as a result of the end of its business relationship with Trump, NBC will no longer air the Miss USA and Miss Universe pageants, which were joint projects of Trump and NBC.

Trump will also not participate in Celebrity Apprentice, which the statement notes he’d previously made clear. However, because the show is operated by United Artists Media Group, “that relationship will continue.”
I'm dying laughing. I can't wait to hear Trump's response.
Old 06-29-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Lowry View Post
NBC/Universal severs ties with Donald Trump

That clears the way for the Fox News Channel to air Miss Universe.
Old 06-29-2015, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

"What the hell do you mean, *I'M* fired?"
Old 06-29-2015, 03:06 PM

So a sexist show was cancelled because of racist comments.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Lowry View Post
You need wait no longer....

Quote:
“If NBC is so weak and so foolish to not understand the serious illegal immigration problem in the United States, coupled with the horrendous and unfair trade deals we are making with Mexico, then their contract violating closure of Miss Universe/Miss USA will be determined in court," Trump said in a statement to FOXNews.com. "Furthermore, they will stand behind lying Brian Williams, but won’t stand behind people that tell it like it is, as unpleasant as that may be.”
Old 06-29-2015, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Rump View Post
Sounds very Trump like. Also later in the article:

Quote:
Before issuing his statement on the matter, Trump first addressed NBC's decision while speaking at an event at City Club of Chicago on Monday afternoon.

"Whatever they want to do is O.K. with me," he said. "I’ve had a lot of great relationships with NBC, I think as far as ending the relationship, I have to do that, because my view on immigration is much different than the people at NBC."
That sounds like a "you can't fire me, I quit!" type thing. I'm enjoying Trump's race almost as much as Jon Stewart is.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
It's a cheap shot, I know, but given Gov. Christie's waistline, how can you say he has "some measure of self-discipline"?
Obama still hasn't fully quit smoking. Most people have a vice or two.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:20 PM

Quote:
"my view on immigration is much different than the people at NBC."
Mr. Trump has apparently never met the English language.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar Mundane View Post
The Republican establishment must be seething. What many people already see as a group of candidates who are largely a joke, now have a real joke running.
The other jokes seem to take the Trump joke seriously, despite his racist remarks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatlantic.com

For Trump’s GOP opponents, his comments created a perfect “Sister Souljah” moment, an opportunity to confront the offensive comments of someone on your own ideological side and thus win the respect of those they offend. No one took it. The Republican National Committee called Trump a “high-caliber candidate.” Rand Paul’s spokesperson quipped, “the more the merrier.” Mike Huckabee said, “I personally like him.” Ted Cruz praised Trump’s “experience as a successful businessman and job creator.” Jeb Bush called Trump merely a “rich guy.”
Old 07-02-2015, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

Someone online theorized that Trump's latest was preplanned to make Jeb look more moderate.

While I wouldn't put it past anyone, I'm not sure Trump's ego and greed would let him do anything like that, despite the theorist's assertion that he "loves playing the villain."
Old 07-02-2015, 09:20 PM

His being taken seriously, by other candidates (who really missed a major chance as noted above, especially JBush) and by so many prospective GOP primary voters, is the solidest evidence there is that there is no actual serious candidate running on that side.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claverhouse View Post
Palin --- Trump 2016 !
Do I detect a double feature? Who's Nailin' Palin? and Who's Humpin' Trump?
Old 07-04-2015, 08:05 AM

Donald was on Fox this morning and I happened to catch some of his interview. He just doesn't understand why people are so mad at him for just telling the truth.

He's especially disappointed in NASCAR.

But sadly, a woman in San Francisco was shot and killed by an illegal immigrant in the last few days and now her death is being used as proof that the Donald is right.

And of course, he had some pretty nasty things to say about the republicans who are not being supportive of him.

He's still doing okay in the polls and that fact makes me want to weep.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

A couple of tweets by people I've never heard of, but that, taken together, were just about perfect:

1) Asked about Trump, clinton says “I’m going to sit down and have some pie”

2) Arguably, this should be the universal response to questions about Trump
Old 07-06-2015, 08:54 PM
Just Some Guy
Charter Member

My question is, why is the internet not already filled with references to Pod People and MST3K? All we need is a video of Trump with the audio of "Trumpy, you can do stupid things!" and a voiceover of a robot talking about potatoes.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

"Well, somebody's doing the raping, Don! I mean somebody's doing it! Who's doing the raping? Who's doing the raping?"
Old 07-07-2015, 10:11 AM

Maybe he should ask this guy.

You knew it was coming.

Last edited by Gyrate; 07-07-2015 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:15 AM

Bill Cosby?
Old 07-07-2015, 12:07 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
A couple of tweets by people I've never heard of, but that, taken together, were just about perfect:

1) Asked about Trump, clinton says “I’m going to sit down and have some pie”

2) Arguably, this should be the universal response to questions about Trump
Just about any awkward situation is made better by pie.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:39 PM

His wife Melania is too cold and stiff to become First Lady, for that role she has to step out of her comfort zone and interact with other people or else the media will rip her apart if she comes of as a useless First Lady, which she will be.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:46 PM

I read his wife's name as Malaria.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:36 PM

The Donald's official comment about being dumped by NASCAR:

http://www.vox.com/2015/7/7/8909705/...mp-espn-nascar
Old 07-08-2015, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
His wife Melania is too cold and stiff to become First Lady, for that role she has to step out of her comfort zone and interact with other people or else the media will rip her apart if she comes of as a useless First Lady, which she will be.
They've been married for a decade. He'll have traded her in for a younger model by the time the actual election rolls around.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

"I'll win the Latino vote", he says.

"Um, no", I reply.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
God god, this man is astoundingly delusional! I just saw that interview and the claims he makes are nuts. Except for the one about how he doesn't need to go on the campaign trail because he is dominating the media coverage.

FFS, Reince Priebus called him today to beg him to shut up.

I have times where I wonder if this is the ultimate bit of trollery: He is punking us all and is solely bent on ruining the Republican party because he is really a secret liberal.
George Will actually suggested something like this today!
Old 07-09-2015, 04:23 AM

No, just let him keep talking. I mean, Republican candidates have had great success in the past talking about rape, and I'm sure the same will be true for Trump.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:45 AM

I must say that his campaign has been a shot in the arm for comedy writers. Check out Trump's map of the world. "Red kangaroo scrotums make great wigs" I hope he actually files official financial forms so we can get more months out of this.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:03 AM

If that whole "I'll win the Latino vote" thing isn't a sign of mental illness, I'm a Loxiforian Snortwarbler.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

It would be if he actually believed it. Trump's defining characteristic is an ability to say or do whatever he thinks will get him media attention and gratify his ego. There's no core to the man.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asterion View Post
My question is, why is the internet not already filled with references to Pod People and MST3K? All we need is a video of Trump with the audio of "Trumpy, you can do stupid things!" and a voiceover of a robot talking about potatoes.
Goddamn you, you beautiful bastard, for stealing my next joke.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak of Twilo View Post
And now Trump says the call wasn't anything like that:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Donald
Totally false reporting on my call with @Reince Priebus. He called me, ten minutes, said I hit a ‘nerve’, doing well, end!
It's entirely possible that Priebus tried to give him a polite "Ix-nay on the Exican-may apists-ray" nudge to get him to cool it without triggering another damaging outburst, and Trump's ego translated the message into "Keep it up; you're doing great!".

Last edited by Steve MB; 07-09-2015 at 02:26 PM.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:47 PM

"And John Weaver, an adviser on John McCain’s 2008 presidential campaign, noted: “I remember growing up in Kermit [Texas], every time the carnival came to town it drew a big crowd. But nobody wanted the carnival barker to be mayor.” "
Old 07-09-2015, 03:22 PM
BANNED

Donald Trump declines to rule out third-party bid.

Maybe he'll start his own Classy Party.

Last edited by BrainGlutton; 07-09-2015 at 03:23 PM.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:25 PM

It'll be huge!
Old 07-09-2015, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainGlutton View Post
Donald Trump declines to rule out third-party bid.

Maybe he'll start his own Classy Party.
I really hope not. It's too easy to dismiss him as an independent.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
If that whole "I'll win the Latino vote" thing isn't a sign of mental illness, I'm a Loxiforian Snortwarbler.
I'm certain that Trump truly believes he'll win the Latino vote. After all, all of his advisors have surely told him so, since they know he'd fire them if they told him he wouldn't.

Last edited by Smapti; 07-09-2015 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
I must say that his campaign has been a shot in the arm for comedy writers. Check out Trump's map of the world. "Red kangaroo scrotums make great wigs" I hope he actually files official financial forms so we can get more months out of this.
Good lord, that's funny. "I've had two wives from over here somewhere". Heh.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

May day May day May day May day May day May day

Donald Trump is in 1st place in a GOP primary poll. I repeat, Donald Trump is in 1st...

"Trump's supporters tend to back the Tea Party and to identify as "very conservative," and are less likely to be college-educated."

Discussion about whether Trump will file FEC forms and disclose his fortune. http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slate...just_find.html

I think Trump may very well file those forms. FEC enforcement is a joke and is oriented towards those who want to downplay their assets. Trump has the opposite goal. IANAL, but if Trump gives a highball estimate of his brand value it may raise eyebrows and giggles, but I doubt whether it will prompt an investigation.

And for the rest of his life, Trump will be able to say that the official FEC forms said that he was worth $10/$20/$50 billion or whatever he wants to pencil in.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Measure for Measure View Post
Donald Trump is in 1st place in a GOP primary poll. I repeat, Donald Trump is in 1st...

"Trump's supporters tend to back the Tea Party and to identify as "very conservative," and are less likely to be college-educated."
This is too good to be true. I'm sure it won't last, but wouldn't it be great if it does? What on earth would serious Republicans do about it? It's a bit like if the Democrats had Koko the monkey in the #1 position ahead of Hillary!
Old 07-09-2015, 11:09 PM

Trump is way behind in Iowa though. National primary polls are interesting, but things change drastically once IA and NH vote.

The good news is that Trump is making Ben Carson seem reasonable and thoughtful.
Old 07-10-2015, 12:43 AM
Charter Member

Only #2 in Iowa/New Hampshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post
Trump is way behind in Iowa though. National primary polls are interesting, but things change drastically once IA and NH vote.
Yes. What Trump does now is suck up all the media oxygen and bump one of the candidates from the September debate list. Trump will not be nominated by the GOP.
Quote:
The good news is that Trump is making Ben Carson seem reasonable and thoughtful.
...though I'd argue his bigoted attacks on Mexicans damage the Republican brand. As does the reluctance of other GOP contenders to stand up to him, as opposed to treating this like a difference of opinion or expression.

Last edited by Measure for Measure; 07-10-2015 at 12:44 AM.
Old 07-10-2015, 12:52 AM

Hard to damage the Republican brand when he's not even a nominee for anything and isn't likely to be a nominee for anything. It's like saying Al Sharpton damages the Democratic brand.

Democrats hope he becomes an Akin, but that's hard to accomplish when he's more of a party crasher than a member in good standing. As for Republicans not distancing themselves, Bush sure did in a big way.
Old 07-10-2015, 01:09 AM

Besides, Trump has a long history of mocking Republicans. Hard to tie a party to a guy that doesn't even really like them very much.

But we were all wrong about one thing. He's serious. He's taken big losses on this thing. I don't think releasing his tax returns will be an issue since he's already lost millions. Heck, that means he probably won't pay any taxes this year!
Closed Thread