Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terr View Post
You will hear what you want to hear.
As opposed to Terr, who is entirely immune from bias and other petty human failings.
Old 07-12-2015, 04:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayard View Post
You're basing your defense on the assumption that Trump would only employ well-crafted parallel sentence structure?
To be clear, no. I noted ambiguity. I'm arguing that in a prepared Presidential announcement speech that standard techniques such as parallel sentence structure are more probable. And if they are more probable... they are also plausible. Right?

I accept the official transcript as presented by the Wall Street Journal and CBS news. If Trump issues a clarification though, I would probably give him the benefit of the doubt. It's not like there's a huge substantive difference anyway.

I admit that I do like to work off of a grounding of fact. Mic.com's presentation with the word, "And" is simply false.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terr View Post
It's not "they're this, they're that". It's "they're bringing this, they're bringing this, this.". Flows perfectly well.

It's the structure of "they're bringing this, they're bringing that, they're this" that doesn't flow. But again, you will read it as your biases direct you.
To be honest, neither is exactly Cicero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terr
In followup interviews, one of which you linked to, Trump said (about the illegal Mexican immigrants) "Some are rapists, some are killers". Are you going to "interpret" this as "illegal immigrants are rapists and killers" as well?
If Trump says, "Some are rapists, some are killers", he's not claiming at that point that "Most are rapists, most are killers." He doesn't need to. Translation: a retraction is a retraction. I accept that he has doubled and tripled down on his attacks on undocumented workers.
Old 07-12-2015, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Measure for Measure View Post
To be honest, neither is exactly Cicero.
No, but one is a hell of a lot more plausible than the other. And Trump has made no attempt to say that he was really saying that Mexicans were bringing in their rapists (not that it would help in the slightest to suggest that people were bringing in rapists like pets).
Old 07-12-2015, 04:33 PM
BANNED

Trump has an odd, choppy, ungainly and grammatically incorrect way of speaking and always has. Some of it is his native New York-ese and some of it is a sort of verbal shorthand that doesn't waste time on grammatical conventions, and some of it is crude exaggeration to get a point across.

I have no trouble imagining him as intending to say 'their rapists', but at the same time I can easily see how most people would take it as 'they're rapists'. That's how I took it as a matter of fact, but having read and followed Trump for a long time I pretty well knew what he meant even though it didn't sound that way.

As far as why he hasn't tried to walk it back, generally guys like Trump adhere to the old adage, "Don't complain, don't explain". Trump complains a lot about America's state of affairs and other things he doesn't like, but you don't hear him complaining about his private difficulties or misfortunes and you don't hear him taking pains to make sure people understand him correctly, or understand and accept whatever it is he's up to.

Trump is a brilliant guy. He always knows what he's doing and it's rarely what everyone thinks it is. He's always got something up his sleeve and is usually working to achieve things about three or four levels beyond what he appears to be doing on the surface.

I'm reminded of something his ex-wife Ivana once said about him after they'd split. Remember, this is a woman who worked side by side with him for many years and was a high-powered executive in her own right within his companies. She was worried about the outcome of their divorce and said of him, "You can't win. He will always find a way to outsmart you!" In the end he did the right thing and took care of her financially, but the point remains that he's an exceedingly smart and clever guy.

People who dismiss Trump as a fool or a dolt or an idiot and who tend to dismiss his business success as due to inherited wealth and serial bankruptcy show by their very words they don't know what they're talking about. They remind me of the sort of people who belittle Ringo Starr's drumming ability. True musicians and true money men (i.e., the bankers and investors who finance Trump's ventures) know where the talent really lies and you don't hear them running down the abilities or either Ringo Starr or Donald Trump.

I'm far from convinced that Trump is serious about becoming president. It could be that business has become boring and mundane and he relishes the idea of negotiating with politicos and foreign leaders as being more challenging. But you can pretty well bet that whatever he's up to, he knows damn well what he wants to accomplish by it. And you can lay pretty good odds that he will.
Old 07-12-2015, 04:34 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgoddess View Post
No, but one is a hell of a lot more plausible than the other. And Trump has made no attempt to say that he was really saying that Mexicans were bringing in their rapists (not that it would help in the slightest to suggest that people were bringing in rapists like pets).
"Can I keep him? He followed me home."
Old 07-12-2015, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

I agree partly with SA. Except for "Brilliant guy", I'd substitute "Bullshit showman". And I disagree with the contention that Trump is widely lauded in the business world. I understand that the structure of his deals changed markedly after his first bankruptcy in the early 1990s. He was once a developer. Over time he evolved into a showman. Hey, it's a living and a pretty good one.

I do disagree with the contention that Trump is a skilled businessman:
Quote:
Sort of.

Gawker posted a chart of his fluctuating net worth. Objective estimates had it in negative territory in 1988 and the early 1990s. If somebody makes market returns for himself and his investors, I'd say they were competent in business. If your partners take a bath and you wind up in the black, I'd say you were good at negotiation. Or self-promotion. Not business. That's a wider skill set. Mitt Romney was good at business. I'm not so sure about Donald Trump.

http://gawker.com/donald-trumps-gros...ine-1711718182
What if somebody said that Trump was brilliant at sales? I think that could be argued objectively.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starving Artist
But you can pretty well bet that whatever he's up to, he knows damn well what he wants to accomplish by it. And you can lay pretty good odds that he will.
Given the number of his investments that have gone south, I doubt whether Trump is all that good at divine prescience. I'm guessing that he has a decent sense of his ability to improvise: the downside of alienating most of Latin America is manageable, if not necessarily optimal. I would also speculate that Trump knows very well that no battle plan survives contact with the enemy. So you work with decision trees (implicitly) not fixed plans.

But yeah: not a fool, dolt or idiot: he only appears that way. And his persona is shaped with intent. And moving beyond his rapist comments rather than clarifying or backpeddling serves his goals I assume.
Old 07-12-2015, 04:56 PM

Quote:
To be clear, no. I noted ambiguity. I'm arguing that in a prepared Presidential announcement speech that standard techniques such as parallel sentence structure are more probable. And if they are more probable... they are also plausible. Right?.
Sorry, mine was in response to Terr.
Old 07-12-2015, 05:13 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I accept that he has doubled and tripled down on his attacks on undocumented workers.
Oh, so all the 'undocumented' (and why is that, again?) immigrants in this country are 'workers', eh? None of them are children or minors or mothers who don't work? None of them are unemployed? None of them need taxpayer funded assistance of any kind?

And more importantly, none of them are criminals?

I'm reminded of a post I made in one of the other Trump threads the other day. To wit:

Quote:
Saw something on Yahoo last night where Lou Dobbs was running graphics to the effect that Trump is being effective in waking the country up to the criminal element flooding into the country from south of the border, illustrated by the fact that illegal immigrants currently make up 3.5% of the population but account for 36.7% of federal sentences handed down in 2014.
I'd imagine the rates are similarly high at the state and county level, since such crimes are more numerous and generally carry lesser sentences.
Old 07-12-2015, 05:47 PM

People, people - you're missing all the action, here. I give you

#trumpyourcat
Old 07-12-2015, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starving Artist View Post
Oh, so all the 'undocumented' (and why is that, again?) immigrants in this country are 'workers', eh? None of them are children or minors or mothers who don't work? None of them are unemployed? None of them need taxpayer funded assistance of any kind?

And more importantly, none of them are criminals?
I'll just hammer the facts. Native born Americans have a higher incarceration rate than immigrants by a wide margin. Crime has declined as illegal immigration has increased. Trump was engaging in ethnically loaded slurs.

http://www.vox.com/2015/7/9/8922783/...e-donald-trump

More generally, I'm not sure how you drew your conclusions. But I don't want to lose track of the main salient points.

ETA:
Quote:
I'd imagine the rates are similarly high at the state and county level, since such crimes are more numerous and generally carry lesser sentences.
Actually they are not. The federal numbers are probably driven by immigration violations.

Last edited by Measure for Measure; 07-12-2015 at 05:52 PM.
Old 07-12-2015, 06:53 PM

I like the fact that he is not fake, he says what he feels. And he does not back down.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:01 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
I like the fact that he is not fake, he says what he feels. And he does not back down.
That's not always the best thing.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
That's not always the best thing.
Not always, but Trump is the only "candidate" who can say such things without any political consequences to himself (since he probably won't even last 'til debate season).

But his words will help sway undecided/moderate (and even formerly Democrat) whites to vote R this time...
Old 07-12-2015, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knorf View Post
But, by all means, Terr: please do your utmost to defend Trump and his blatantly changed attitudes about immigration, ideally across various social media and loudly in public, not just on the SDMB. Defending Trump's comments is exactly what the GOP needs right now to ensure that "permanent Republican majority," as the party faithful have always dreamed of! Please, do continue.
Yep. The Donald is turning into a nightmare for the Republican quest for respectability in the face of notables like Ted Cruz, Louie Gohmert, Sarah Palin, Michelle Bachmann, and scores of others who have smeared it with the stigma of lunacy, and the current clown car of idiot presidential candidates. He's the best thing yet for the Democratic campaign. The only saving grace for Republicans is that he's not a real candidate, but who knows how long his enormous ego will keep this loose cannon bouncing around. Keep talking, Donald! Please, tell us more about what you really think!

Quote:
Here's the video. CNN shows the clip to Trump and he comments. (I stopped watching after viewing Trump's high profile attack on Mexican immigrants).

http://www.cnn.com/videos/tv/2015/06...-intv-erin.cnn

I heard the WSJ version. Specifically I heard, "...They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. ..."

I did NOT hear, "They’re bringing crime and..." I did not hear the word "and" enunciated. .
Same here. With this and other evidence provided I think it's pretty clear that he said "they're rapists". Furthermore, his pathological ego demanded that he double down on the claim...
CNN’s Don Lemon spoke to Donald Trump on Wednesday about his belief that Mexico is sending rapists across the border, but instead of backing down, the GOP presidential candidate insisted that he has evidence that Mexicans really are rapists.

... “Go to Fusion and pick up the stories on rape,” he continued, not seeming to realize that stories about immigrant woman being raped on their way across the border aren’t proof that Mexico is exporting rapists to the United States. “It’s unbelievable when you look at what’s going on. So all I’m doing is telling the truth!”

Lemon tried to tell Trump that he had fundamentally misread the Fusion article he had cited, noting that “it was about women being raped,” but the real estate mogul would have none of it. “Somebody’s doing the raping!” Trump replied.

“You can’t say ‘it’s just women being raped.’” he added. “Who’s doing the raping? Who’s doing the raping?”
http://www.salon.com/2015/07/02/dona...ng_the_raping/
Quote:
Originally Posted by inscrutable View Post
But his words will help sway undecided/moderate (and even formerly Democrat) whites to vote R this time...
The only "undecided/moderate (and even formerly Democrat)" voters of any color that Trump might win over are those who need help to tie their shoes. And those are already voting for Ted Cruz or Rick Perry.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
And those are already voting for Ted Cruz or Rick Perry.
Nobody's voting for Rick Perry.
Old 07-13-2015, 01:19 AM

I don't like comparing Trump to Reagan because Reagan was a happy warrior. Trump's pissed.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Trump is a brilliant guy. He always knows what he's doing and it's rarely what everyone thinks it is. He's always got something up his sleeve and is usually working to achieve things about three or four levels beyond what he appears to be doing on the surface.

People who dismiss Trump as a fool or a dolt or an idiot and who tend to dismiss his business success as due to inherited wealth and serial bankruptcy show by their very words they don't know what they're talking about. They remind me of the sort of people who belittle Ringo Starr's drumming ability. True musicians and true money men (i.e., the bankers and investors who finance Trump's ventures) know where the talent really lies and you don't hear them running down the abilities or either Ringo Starr or Donald Trump.
Trump is not brilliant by any stretch of the imagination. How can anyone take seriously his claim that the Mexican government is sending its criminals to the US? Does he have the slightest bit of evidence to show that the Mexican government has anything to do with it? Does he really think that those who risk death to cross the border to try to make a better life for their families is doing so at the behest of the Mexican government? And can anyone point to a more absurd claim than Trump's boast that he would make the Mexican government pay for some impenetrable fence? Why would anyone take such a claim seriously?

Trump is not a serious candidate. He's a carnival barker. He is the scum that coats the very bottom of the septic tank of electoral politics. He is but a tuning fork calibrated to resonate with the very worst of American politics- racism and xenophobia. We have seen politicians pander to racists before, but never to this extent. The only way that Trump could top himself is to put on the hood and sheet and burn a cross on the Mexican border.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
And can anyone point to a more absurd claim than Trump's boast that he would make the Mexican government pay for some impenetrable fence? Why would anyone take such a claim seriously?
The Donald is just confused. Someone must have told him -- correctly -- that if he were ever to become President, the Canadian government would pay to have a border fence built. A really high one, too, I imagine.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

Born every minute

Quote:
Well I think his bluster -all bluster really, including that of Chris Christie- is a highly engaging act. Trump after all used to be against abortion - and for immigration reform. From The Atlantic Monthly:
...after Mitt Romney’s 2012 loss, Donald Trump told the website Newsmax that Republicans would continue to lose elections if they came across as mean-spirited and unwelcoming to people of color. Democrats were kind toward illegal immigrants, Trump said, whereas Romney “had a crazy policy of self deportation which was maniacal. It sounded as bad as it was, and he lost all of the Latino vote. He lost the Asian vote. He lost everybody who is inspired to come into this country.” He added that the GOP needs a comprehensive solution to “this incredible problem that we have with respect to immigration, with respect to people wanting to be wonderful, productive citizens of this country.”

These discordant statements praising and savaging immigrants are not entirely unlike one another—they’re both framed as bold efforts to tell it like it is. Donald Trump is a master at that affectation. He seems as if he is fearlessly stating his core convictions, consequences be damned, even when he is being a shameless poseur.
Ditto for Chris Christie IMHO.

When somebody says things that are at variance with the facts, my bullshit detector goes off. Ditto for excessive confidence. While others have differing perceptions, I think I can demonstrate my rules of thumb in this instance.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/...sident/398345/

Trump may very well say what he feels. It's just that what he feels is unmoored to fact or even what he said yesterday.

Last edited by Measure for Measure; 07-13-2015 at 07:04 PM.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:15 PM
SDSAB

Trump Your Cat!: http://bgr.com/2015/07/14/trump-your...nius+Report%29
Old 07-15-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
"Pudge the Cat", #4, gets the prize. All the other cats look brighter than Trump. Pudge seems to convey that priceless combination of mental vacuity and clueless belligerence that we've come to associate with The Donald, and also comes closest to wearing what appears to be recently deceased roadkill on its head.
Old 07-15-2015, 03:41 PM

Trump says that he's filed all of his paperwork with the FEC and that he's now worth $10B. This is getting interesting....
Old 07-15-2015, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

BREAKING BREAKING BREAKING BREAKING BREAKING BREAKING BREAKING BREAKING BREAKING

Donald Trump files with the FEC and issues a press release. I assume it's public domain:
For Immediate Release:

(New York, NY) July 15, 2015 - Today, Donald J. Trump filed his Personal Financial Disclosure (PFD) forms with the Federal Election Commission (FEC).

This report was not designed for a man of Mr. Trump's massive wealth. For instance, they have boxes once a certain number is reached that simply state $50 million or more. Many of these boxes have been checked. As an example, if a building owned by Mr. Trump is worth $1.5 billion, the box checked is "$50,000,000 or more."

Mr. Trump stated, "First people said I would never run, and I did. Then, they said, I would never file my statement of candidacy with the FEC, and I did. Next, they said I would never file my personal financial disclosure forms. I filed them early despite the fact that I am allowed two 45 days extensions. Now I have surged in the polls and am fighting to Make America Great Again. I look forward to the challenge of winning the presidency and doing a fantastic job for our country. I will make the United States rich and strong and respected again, but also a country with a 'big heart' toward the care of our people."

Mr. Trump's net worth has increased since the more than one year old financial statement produced at his presidential announcement. Real estate values in New York City, San Francisco, Miami and many other places where he owns property have gone up considerably during this period of time. His debt is a very small percentage of value, and at very low interest rates. As of this date, Mr. Trump's net worth is in excess of TEN BILLION DOLLARS.
Haters and losers: wise up!. The Donald is worth not $4 billion like Forbes claims, not $9 billion as Trump estimated recently, but in excess of TEN BILLION DOLLARS. Caps in the original. Time to repeat those quotes:
First people said I would never run, and I did. Then, they said, I would never file my statement of candidacy with the FEC, and I did. Next, they said I would never file my personal financial disclosure forms. I filed them early despite the fact that I am allowed two 45 days extensions. Now I have surged in the polls and am fighting to Make America Great Again.
MAGA! Trump says what he feels, and what he feels is ALL CAPS. I can only imagine that Bush, Hillary and the rest of those pols are crying in their cereal.

Last edited by Measure for Measure; 07-15-2015 at 04:05 PM.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:07 PM

I sez to myself, sez I: "jsgoddess, you ignorant slut! You didn't think he would file his financials!"

And I was wrong. I admit it. And I'm oh so glad I was.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:07 PM

By the time you've counted it through, it's gone up another billion.

Palin --- Trump 2016 !

v. Bernhardi ---- Germany and the Next War
Old 07-15-2015, 04:38 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

One rarely sees his middle initial given as part of his name.

Now, the only thing I can think of is:

"I am Donald J. Trump, Billionaire. I own a mansion and a yacht."
Old 07-15-2015, 05:17 PM

Morning in America Redux

Donald J. Trump is the very definition of the American success story, continually setting the standards of excellence while expanding his interests in real estate, sports and entertainment.

Mr. Trump has over 7 million followers on social media. He frequently uses this platform to advocate for Conservative causes, Republican candidates and to educate the public on the failures of the Obama administration. Mr. Trump appears on Fox and Friends on Monday mornings and devotes much of his time to media interviews in order to promote a Free Market, the importance of a strong family, a culture of Life, a strong military and our country’s sacred obligation to take care of our veterans and their families.

Mr. Trump has long been a devoted supporter of veteran causes. In 1995, the fiftieth anniversary of World War II, only 100 spectators watched New York City’s Veteran Day Parade. It was an insult to all veterans. Approached by Mayor Rudy Giuliani and the chief of New York City’s FBI office, Mr. Trump agreed to lead as Grand Marshall a second parade later that year. Mr. Trump made a $1 million matching donation to finance the Nation’s Day Parade. On Saturday, November 11th, over 1.4 million watched as Mr. Trump marched down Fifth Avenue with more than 25,000 veterans, some dressed in their vintage uniforms. A month later, Mr. Trump was honored in the Pentagon during a lunch with the Secretary of Defense and the entire Joint Chiefs of Staff.

In New York City, the Trump signature is synonymous with the most prestigious of addresses, among them the world-renowned Fifth Avenue skyscraper, Trump Tower, the Trump International Hotel & Tower, Trump World Tower at the United Nations Plaza, 40 Wall Street, and Trump Park Avenue.

Mr. Trump is the Emmy-nominated star and co-producer of the reality television series, “The Apprentice” which quickly became the number one show on television, making ratings history and receiving rave reviews and world wide attention. “The Celebrity Apprentice” has met with great success as well, being one of the highest rated shows on television. The Apprentice’s record fourteenth season premiered in January, 2015. “You’re fired!” is listed as the third greatest television catchphrase of all time

Make America Great Again! | Donald J Trump for President

[ donaldjtrump.com ]

Palin --- Trump 2016 !

Old 07-15-2015, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

"Palin --- Trump 2016"? Do you seriously think he'll take the veep slot to Sarah Palin?

BTW, a headline on the NYT's website reads, "Donald Trump Claims His Wealth Exceeds ‘TEN BILLION DOLLARS’" The capitalization is taken directly from his filing with the Federal Election Commission. But for the Times, the capitalization seems like snark.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:51 PM

Here's my theory. Not even The Donald knows what The Donald is going to do next. I believe this started out as (and still is) the same stupid stunt he pulls every election season. But this time -- even though Republicans in recent cycles have been scraping the bottom of the barrel looking for candidates -- this time the bottom has fallen out of the barrel and they're wearing it. Who have they got? The brother of the worst president in living memory, not one but two homophobic theocrats, a libertarian lunatic, some sort of Wisconsin progeny of Joe McCarthy except with ethics that make even McCarthy look reasonable by comparison, and a handful of others who bear a passing resemblance to escapees from a mental hospital. So Trump's numbers have temporarily ratcheted up, and the opportunist is doing what opportunists always do. Yes, folks, the Republicans' current top-tier candidate is a brainless blowhard who wears roadkill on his head, and whose major platform is that he's going to "do deals" with the nations of the world, including forcing Mexicans to recall all their rapists and build a giant border wall at their own expense.

Hillary is probably popping the champagne corks already!
Old 07-15-2015, 07:11 PM

Unless the citizens of your fair land actually prefer him to Hillary in a straight-up one-to-one duke out in the final countdown.

Bearing in mind the quality of many of those voters as evinced by their considered comments over the internet; and the rightward's shift world politics are ineluctably taking over the last decade; and the excited denunciations the Repubs will pour on her for merely existing, can you truly say it is certain they wouldn't select Trump ?

And even then, to follow from the rest of your post, try to state in what way a Trump Presidency would be worse for America, and the poor, than any of the rest of the clown car.

Palin --- Trump 2016

{ Her first because of the cǔriousity that she really was the party's choice to run for vice-president. They really thought this was a good idea, }

Old 07-15-2015, 07:14 PM
BANNED

We certainly need somebody to make America great again.

But despite his intelligence, proven negotiating ability and plethora of accomplishments I'd be surprised if even Donald Trump can pull off such a feat at this late date, where the idea of strong families, hard work in school, success and the trappings thereof are mocked and derided as hallmarks of the privileged class and weakness and victimhood = moral superiority.

Once upon a time in my callow youth I thought the idea behind equality was to raise the underprivileged up to the levels enjoyed by the rest of society rather than to drag everyone else down to the level of the underprivileged. But as we've seen with Communism and other forms of social engineering designed to achieve equality, the thrust always seems to be to drag everyone down to the same substandard level rather than to lift anyone up. I suppose in a way this makes sense. It is easier after all, and requires no responsibility or effort on the part of anyone to improve their lot.

But who knows, maybe Trump can pull off for the country a turnaround similar to what Rudy Guiliani did for Times Square. More people in this country would favor such a turnaround than we'll ever hear about from the media, and my guess is it's a large part of the reason Trump is continuing to climb in the polls.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:07 PM

Actually, soviet communism did not drag everyone down to the same level. It tried ---even with all the killings in the first 40 years --- to treat ordinary people fairly, provided they worked hard and paid their taxes and were good religious family members and were patriotic as all get out; and used those taxes to fund the war machine and erect a dizzyingly elevated political class, wealthy and corrupt, the nomenklatura to rule the rest.

Just like America.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:37 PM

Donald Trump for your pleasure. I don't need to mention it, just read it for yourself. I'm not making this up.

Last edited by samclem; 07-17-2015 at 06:37 AM. Reason: addeed spoiler tag. NSFW
Old 07-15-2015, 08:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claverhouse View Post
Unless the citizens of your fair land actually prefer him to Hillary in a straight-up one-to-one duke out in the final countdown.
"Only please, Brer Fox, please don't pick Donald Trump!"

Really, while the match up polls are not much meaningful now, the fact is that if the Donald is the nominee he is the one Republican in the match ups that does the worst against Hilary Clinton, she would be the happiest gal in the land if Trump is the one.

Last edited by GIGObuster; 07-15-2015 at 08:38 PM.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:57 PM

Every time I read quotes of Trump, I think he sounds like the dialogue from a kid's first chapter book:
Quote:
“I am biased because I have known her for years,” he added. “I live in New York. She lives in New York. I really like her and her husband both a lot. I think she really works hard and I think she does a good job.”
Quote:
"Why would she be a good president? I think she would be a terrible president.”

Trump for Kids!

"What do you think, Donnie? Do you think she would be a good president?"

Donnie looked sad. "I think she would not be a good president. I think she would be a very bad president. I would like to be president. I would like to be a good president."

Last edited by wonky; 07-15-2015 at 09:58 PM.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:57 PM
SDSAB

"Donald is running for President. He likes to have lots of people pay attention to him and give him money. See Donald run? Run, Donald, run."
Old 07-16-2015, 12:25 AM

Quote:
But despite his intelligence, proven negotiating ability and plethora of accomplishments I'd be surprised if even Donald Trump can pull off such a feat at this late date, where the idea of strong families, hard work in school, success and the trappings thereof are mocked and derided as hallmarks of the privileged class and weakness and victimhood = moral superiority.
Thank goodness we have a twice-divorced reality-television star, whose father gave him control of his large real estate company, around to teach us about the important of strong families and hard work.

Quote:
Once upon a time in my callow youth I thought the idea behind equality was to raise the underprivileged up to the levels enjoyed by the rest of society rather than to drag everyone else down to the level of the underprivileged. But as we've seen with Communism and other forms of social engineering designed to achieve equality, the thrust always seems to be to drag everyone down to the same substandard level rather than to lift anyone up. I suppose in a way this makes sense. It is easier after all, and requires no responsibility or effort on the part of anyone to improve their lot.
Do you actually like Trump, or do you just want to complain about the kids today? I realize the United States is one precarious step away from going communist and electing Jane Fonda as Supreme Secretary of the Glorious People's Assembly of the Revolutionary Masses, but this seems a bit needlessly reactionary.

Last edited by Itself; 07-16-2015 at 12:29 AM.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:25 PM

The editor at PolitiFact is worrying that their site is going to turn into the Donald Trump Channel.
Old 07-17-2015, 05:46 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I 2nd that. I much prefer that to smooth talking politicians who constantly lie.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Donald Trump for your pleasure. I don't need to mention it, just read it for yourself. I'm not making this up.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...f=donald-trump
No, actually you do need to mention it, because it's an article about a Donald Trump butt plug and most people won't be too happy about clicking that at work.
Old 07-17-2015, 09:37 AM

According to Fox News, Trump said "they're rapists", not "their rapists".
Old 07-17-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
According to Fox News, Trump said "they're rapists", not "their rapists".
I'm pretty sure he meant "They're rapists" but I'm not convinced he meant "They're ALL rapists". It reads equally well as "Some of them are rapists".

Now I need to go bleach my brain for even mildly defending Trump's idiocy.
Old 07-17-2015, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

John McCain complains that Trump "fired up the crazies".
Old 07-17-2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
I'm pretty sure he meant "They're rapists" but I'm not convinced he meant "They're ALL rapists". It reads equally well as "Some of them are rapists".
I agree that he did not mean to say they're all rapists. But, rhetorically, if you lead with gosh, Mexico is sending us their human garbage and then list the ways they're garbage and then tack on a well, some of them are probably okay people, it's going to read as generalized contempt for the whole lot.

And I think Trump was intended to convey that generalized contempt, even if not attempting to convey the specifics of "all are drug dealers and rapists."
Old 07-17-2015, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

"Who's doing the raping?"

We need a Trump comb-over smiley.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:45 PM

We have truly gone into a bizzaro land when somebody is arguing that somebody else is being disingenuous by not hearing the difference between "they're" and "their".

And, try as I may, I can't figure out how "their rapists" is somehow any different than "they're rapists." In both cases, Trump says that Mexico is sending over people who rape. Are these Mexicans rapists (i.e. "they're rapists")? Or are they Mexico's rapists (i.e. "their rapists").

More importantly, how is there any fucking difference between the two?!
Old 07-17-2015, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98
Quote:
Originally Posted by davida03801 View Post
I 2nd that. I much prefer that to smooth talking politicians who constantly lie.
I guess it is preferable to find a straight talking politician that does not back down from his pants on fire lies.

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/

Last edited by GIGObuster; 07-17-2015 at 02:41 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve MB View Post
John McCain complains that Trump "fired up the crazies".
That's rich from someone who chose Sarah Palin as a running mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIGObuster View Post
I guess it is preferable to find a straight talking politician that does not back down from his pants on fire lies.

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/
I agree that there is something refreshing about someone who says what he means instead of dancing around things or using dog whistles. But you can say your opinion on things plainly without making up ridiculous lies to back your statements.
Old 07-17-2015, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itself View Post
... but this seems a bit needlessly reactionary.
An Itself wins the SDMB "Understatement of the Month" Award.

It's like calling the Great Lakes "a bit wet."

Old 07-17-2015, 05:11 PM

McCain was cancelling events for lack of attendance and chasing crowds until he latched onto Palin. She was the Game Changer.

A Trump/Cruz ticket will draw crowds and get press for the Republican message.

A JEB!/WALKER ticket will be a real snoozer.

Crane
Closed Thread