View Poll Results: YOU MUST CHOOSE!
Palin 43 40.19%
Trump 64 59.81%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-17-2015, 12:09 PM

Palin or Trump for POTUS

Scenario:

You have been captured by the shadowy forces of the Discordian Society. The random play of the strobe lights, mix with the Barney "I love you" song blaring over the loud speakers pierce a hole in your brain. You must escape this hell but there is no escape but one. With each strobe of the light the the words "Trump" "Palin" and "Choose" repeat in random order on the screen filling your entire field of vision. The drug they have given you has paralyzed your entire body save of the index finger on your right had which hovers over two switches labeled Palin and Trump. Which every you choose will become the next POTUS, the Discordians will make sure of that and you know they have the power. After you choose you will be released unharmed but will be unable to leave the country until Feb 1st 2021. There is not third party, you cannot bow out, even the sweet release of death is denied you YOU MUST CHOOSE!

Response from OP:
I keep going back and forth on this. On the one hand Trump is clearly more competent than Palin. But on the other hand, while they are both Narcissists. There is a likelihood that Palin may be open to accepting advice from aides, while Trump would trust his own judgment and likely dismiss anyone who contradicted him. In the end I think I would go with Trump in the vain hope that much of his rhetoric is designed to play to the masses and that underneath if given actual responsibility he will conform his actions to reality.

Last edited by Buck Godot; 08-17-2015 at 12:13 PM.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:09 PM

No.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:15 PM

There is no "No"! there is no escape! You must choose!
Old 08-17-2015, 12:52 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Palin would quit within 6 months...but Trump would quit the instant he found out he doesn't get to play with his companies while in office.
Trump.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

Under Trump's bluster (and hairpiece) is some actual managerial talent. Under Palin's is, well, nothing.

Lesser evil.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Palin would quit within 6 months...but Trump would quit the instant he found out he doesn't get to play with his companies while in office.
Trump.
Would he actually be forbidden from acting as CEO while POTUS? I mean, it's a terrible idea, and I would completely understand why voters wouldn't like it, but I have a hard time seeing him being barred from being CEO and POTUS simultaneously as a constitutional matter.

Edit: I forgot to say, while they are both bad options, Trump might be a blowhard and may not listen to advice, but he actually seems to have some policy ideas and an ounce of common sense (only that much though). That puts him in a category above Palin. Of course, an armadillo would be in a category above Palin too, so that's not saying much.

Last edited by yellowjacketcoder; 08-17-2015 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
Under Trump's bluster (and hairpiece) is some actual managerial talent. Under Palin's is, well, nothing.

Lesser evil.
He also would not base decisions on what his god might want him to do.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:04 PM

Trump, for an admittedly dubious reason: I'm a woman, and I'll be damned if the first female POTUS is Palin. Plus, at least Trump is open and honest about his bigotry.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:06 PM

You could throw Charles Manson into the mix and make it a difficult three way choice. Trump, but only because he might actually hire some people that know something for advisors. Plus he might know why there are two Koreas.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:07 PM

Trump. He may be insane, but he's not necessarily stupid. The same can't be said for Palin. That's what burns me about Palin so much-- not her bluster, or her quitty-ness, or her beliefs, or her smarminess, but the fact that someone so fucking stupid could get this far in driving our nation's politics and policies.

If Palin were president, I would be ashamed to be an American. If Trump were president, I would shake my head and wonder what the hell happened, but I wouldn't feel the deep shame for our nation like if Palin were president. She's no better than President Camacho. Trump is only slightly better, but Trump gets my vote over Sarah.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
He also would not base decisions on what his god might want him to do.
Part of which is actively bringing on the apocalypse. Another Trump vote.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
There is no "No"! there is no escape! You must choose!
Get back to me when you've got some hostages.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
She's no better than President Camacho.
I'd say she's worse. Camacho knew he had a serious problem he was responsible for fixing, knew he was in over his head, and knew he needed to find the best-prepared person to fix it and to hand it over to him along with all the authority and resources that person would need. That's actual leadership, of an idiocratic sort. But Palin would never come to any of those realizations.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:39 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

On the premise that both candidates would stay in office once elected, I flipped a coin.

What are the odds against a U.S. quarter landing on edge 27 times in a row?

Last edited by Czarcasm; 08-17-2015 at 01:40 PM.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:40 PM

I'd go with Palin. She has experience being a state governor, and has also been a VP candidate.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
I'd go with Palin. She has experience being a state governor, and has also been a VP candidate.
To go along with her extensive experience as a professional moron.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:56 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
You're funny.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:13 PM

Trump. I think he has more real experience than her. And while I don't think either REALLY wants the job, I think Palin has made it quite clear she's more interested in being a pundit and getting paid big bucks to speak, while Trump is at least going through the motions. Has Palin even made a statement that she has any interest in joining the race? And besides all that, I really think most of what he's saying is a combination between what he thinks he needs to say to get the Republican base interested, and just straight up trolling at an epic level.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:34 PM

I could hold out a long time. maybe it reduces the term a bit.

Palin. She at least has experience as a small state governor where she had to work with people she couldn't fire. She's more likely to have experienced political professionals as part of her team and might even listen sometimes. Trump's run off some of the professionals he's brought in to his campaign. I'd also expect Trump to be more aggressive and effective at trying to implement his plans. Given the quality of his ideas I consider that a bad thing.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:37 PM

Palin would bring competent establishment people as her advisers. It would be like a 3rd term of W. Better than Trump, anyhow.

ETA - maybe more like another term of Warren Harding. Still, I prefer that horror to Trump.

Palin.

Last edited by bup; 08-17-2015 at 02:40 PM.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:25 PM

Trump. Palin is clearly a dim-witted true believer. There's at least a chance Trump's campaign is just trolling, and that his actual beliefs don't match what he's selling.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:43 PM
You mean he's STILL here?
Charter Member

Quote:
Palin was named VP candidate on August 27, 2008, and was defeated on November 2, meaning she was a candidate for 10 weeks. Trump announced his candidacy on June 16, and has so far been in the race for 8 weeks.

However, Trump also ran for President in 1999 (Reform Party) for four months, so he has much more experience in losing a national campaign than she does!
Old 08-17-2015, 03:45 PM

The whole Palin thing was just a glorious extended goof that went on a tad too long. It was solely meant to show that America still retains the enviable ability to mock itself. Can't you people take a joke ?

I will not want President Trump, but I would prefer him being followed around with the Nuclear Football.

v. Bernhardi ---- Germany and the Next War
Old 08-17-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowjacketcoder View Post

Edit: I forgot to say, while they are both bad options, Trump might be a blowhard and may not listen to advice, but he actually seems to have some policy ideas and an ounce of common sense (only that much though). That puts him in a category above Palin. Of course, an armadillo would be in a category above Palin too, so that's not saying much.
I vote for the armadillo.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:06 PM

Trump, I hear he is Batman. But I'm moving to another planet if this actually happened.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
Trump, I hear he is Batman.
He keeps a teenage boy in a cave?
Old 08-17-2015, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliam View Post
To go along with her extensive experience as a professional moron.
So, the choice is simple, simpleton or egomaniac. I'll take the simpleton.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

Hey! I vaguely resent the implication that my erstwhile co-religionists would do this!

OK, yeah, we they conceivably would. We They might not follow through on rigging the election after Mindfucking the poor captive forced to choose. Or a rival cabal might try to substitute Michael Palin.

But in general, I would hope Discordians are against conformity and hopefully against forced dichotomies. So, we they would be doing it ironically.

fool's guinea, very lapsed Discordian

P.S. Also, I voted for Trump.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42fish View Post
I vote for the armadillo.

... love you you love me ...

ThEre Is nO ArMaDIlLo! TheRe nEVeR wAS An ARmADillO! TherE nEVeR WiLl bE An ArMADillO!! ThErE iS OnLy PALIN and TRUMP! YOU MUST CHOOSE!!

...great big hug and a kiss from...

Last edited by Buck Godot; 08-17-2015 at 09:18 PM.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:10 PM
Charter Member

T̸̜H̡͚̤͎̯͘É̪͈̣̪̤Ŗ̳͙̱̩͔̣̞ͅE̱̤͕͙͞ ͓̮͔̝͚̪̜̀͠lS̠̦ ͏̻͇̗͈̤N̢̹̺̙̳̯̗͍O̵̭ ̷̠̺͚̰̞T̘̲̫̝͇̞̙R͍̲͍͉͘͢Ų̦͉͔̯̼̜̘͓Ḿ̧̖́P͙͉͟ ̧̦͝Ạ̛͓͓̤N̤̺͔̕Y̧͉͓̜W̥̙͙̘̼̕̕͡Ḥ̢̞͇͔̮È̷͙̫̞͕̼͍͔͟R͇̲E̡͈

Last edited by foolsguinea; 08-17-2015 at 10:11 PM. Reason: caps are IMPORTANT
Old 08-18-2015, 06:53 AM

I went with Palin. Both Trump and Palin would make bad Presidents, so that leaves personality and character as the deciding factor. Palin at least knows how to be popular(She was the most popular governor in the country for awhile), she's incessantly optimistic and upbeat, and so assuming that things in the country are going well, voters would be fairly content with things.

Trump is kinda like Rick Scott over here in Florida. No matter how well things go, people just are never going to like him.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:16 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Is it a live armadillo, or a stuffed armadillo?
Old 08-18-2015, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post
I went with Palin. Both Trump and Palin would make bad Presidents, so that leaves personality and character as the deciding factor. Palin at least knows how to be popular(She was the most popular governor in the country for awhile), she's incessantly optimistic and upbeat, and so assuming that things in the country are going well, voters would be fairly content with things.

Trump is kinda like Rick Scott over here in Florida. No matter how well things go, people just are never going to like him.
Ignorance is bliss.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:23 AM

Palin would quit -- I don't believe she's capable of handling a difficult job or working particularly hard in difficult circumstances. That might make me more likely to choose her, except that her VP choice could be even worse.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
I'd say she's worse. Camacho knew he had a serious problem he was responsible for fixing, knew he was in over his head, and knew he needed to find the best-prepared person to fix it and to hand it over to him along with all the authority and resources that person would need. That's actual leadership, of an idiocratic sort. But Palin would never come to any of those realizations.
Plus, Camacho didn't just quit.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:11 AM
BANNED

LUCKY LUCIANO: I don't accept the options. To live, I gotta kill 'em both.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:53 AM

I didn't see the 'Kill me now!' option. Couldn't vote.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post

I would have to say Trump is pretty optimistic upbeat too.There is nothing he doesn't think he can do.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
You could throw Charles Manson into the mix and make it a difficult three way choice.
Charlie is 80, 11 years older than Trump and less likely to survive his term. Plus he'd scare the crap out of any foreign dignitaries he meets with. Plus his running mate could be Squeaky Fromme!

This is looking better and better!
Old 08-18-2015, 12:45 PM

Okay, I vote for the Squeaky Fromme/Armadillo ticket.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:07 PM

Trump. "Does not hear voices from God and unlikely to start a global nuclear war in the name of Jesus" has to count for something.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
Trump. "Does not hear voices from God and unlikely to start a global nuclear war in the name of Jesus" has to count for something.
But he speaks with The Voice Of Trump which could enrage others to start a nuclear war.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Is it a live armadillo, or a stuffed armadillo?
Neither. As Jim Hightower says, "The middle of the road is for yellow lines and dead armadillos." This one's in the middle of the road. And it's still smarter than Palin.

Last edited by RTFirefly; 08-18-2015 at 07:31 PM.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:54 PM

Donald, hate Palin. Heck Trump is cuter and I'm a straight guy. And he is smarter too.

Last edited by Nema98; 08-18-2015 at 10:56 PM.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42fish View Post
Okay, I vote for the Squeaky Fromme/Armadillo ticket.
Spoken like a true Eristic initiate.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
In the end I think I would go with Trump in the vain hope that much of his rhetoric is designed to play to the masses and that underneath if given actual responsibility he will conform his actions to reality.
Well, after seeing how this played out, would you like to reconsider?
Old 03-22-2019, 06:17 PM

I sure would. Palin may be as dumb as a sack of hammers, but as grifters go, she's nowhere in Donald's league. Not to mention that she isn't anywhere as evil as he is. He's in Hitler's league.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
I sure would. Palin may be as dumb as a sack of hammers, but as grifters go, she's nowhere in Donald's league. Not to mention that she isn't anywhere as evil as he is. He's in Hitler's league.
Wow, I hate that Trump is President but he is pretty far from Hitler thankfully. I don't think he is even up to Jackson/Van Buren level yet. I'll give you worse than Nixon or Harding.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:49 PM

I just now realized this is an old thread.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:52 PM

I expect Palin would have started another war in the Middle East, even if she might not be as utterly incompetent, clownish, and racist on other issues. I'm not sure which would be more damaging in the long run.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 03-22-2019 at 06:52 PM.