Old 04-12-2019, 03:12 AM
Charter Member

He looks really crook in the pics of him being evicted from the embassy. Now maybe that was intentional (growing the beard and appearing weird), but if not, then my take is that Julian is actually suffering from a mental illness that needs addressing.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kambuckta View Post
He looks really crook in the pics of him being evicted from the embassy. Now maybe that was intentional (growing the beard and appearing weird), but if not, then my take is that Julian is actually suffering from a mental illness that needs addressing.
The whole business about keeping his bathroom clean and taking better care of his cat fits with that.

The de facto house arrest combined with not knowing what the future holds would likely extract a heavy emotional toll.

I don't say that out of any sympathy. He brought it on himself.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
So, who gets custody of the cat?
This is an important question! Apparently he gave it away to a friend last year.

From the NYT,

Quote:
La Repubblica, an Italian newspaper, reported in November that Mr. Assange had given the cat up “to spare the cat an isolation which has become unbearable and allow it a healthier life.”

Sputnik, a Russian state-run news source, wrote on Thursday that the cat was taken by an associate of Mr. Assange and had not been at the embassy since September.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:15 PM
SDSAB

:: purrs ::
Old 04-12-2019, 01:28 PM

The DOJ under Obama never brought charges against Assange for publishing stuff, because of the "NYT problem." Sessions came in and said fuck that.

If someone dumps a package on Assange's porch and he publishes it, he's protected (or should be) under the first amendment

If he knowingly agrees to act as a foreign agent, he's not (or shouldn't be).

And there's a gray area in between those, where a lot of "legit" journalists operate.

Apparently they're not charging him for publishing, but for hacking. Obviously not protected.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajario View Post
Of course not. Have you been paying attention at all? He was avoiding extradition for some very serious shit in two different countries.
Literally, it seems!
Old 04-14-2019, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

And suddenly, Labour MPs and Lords have discovered that it's really important that Asante be extradited to Sweden to face the sex assault charges, which should take priority over the US hacking charge, and all the emphasis being given to the hacking charge shows that sexual assaults are not taken seriously.

Remind me - were there any similar letters from Labour politicians when Sweden was trying to get him extradited a few years ago, urging the Britis government to extradite him?

Julian Asante must face Swedish justice first - MPs and peers

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-47917325

Last edited by Northern Piper; 04-14-2019 at 07:38 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Julian Assange has been sentenced to just under a year in jail for breaching bail conditions after spending almost seven years inside the Ecuadorian embassy in London.

A judge largely rejected the mitigating factors put forward by lawyers for the WikiLeaks founder, who had also written a letter in which he expressed regret for his actions but claimed he had been left with no choice.
https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...g-bail-in-2012
Old 05-01-2019, 10:01 AM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Piper View Post
And suddenly, Labour MPs and Lords have discovered that it's really important that Asante be extradited to Sweden to face the sex assault charges, which should take priority over the US hacking charge, and all the emphasis being given to the hacking charge shows that sexual assaults are not taken seriously....
I am shocked - shocked! - to learn that there may be hypocrisy among some British politicians.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:13 AM

Now on to the extradition hearing:

https://www.news.com.au/world/europe...e16908e48f6864

Quote:
The extradition hearing will be held via video link at London’s Westminster Crown Court tomorrow.

The legal battle against extradition is likely to be hard-fought, with several appeals, and may take up to a couple of years.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

Sweden has re-opened the rape investigation, and will likely bring another extradition request.

Julian Assange: Sweden reopens rape investigation