Old 12-07-2016, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboi867 View Post
I'm hoping for Tammy Duckworth. Biden could've won against Trump this cycle, but he won't have a chance in 2020.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
We don't elect veterans anymore, I don't like it, but there it is. They remind us of our failings. I guess some people would call George W. Bush a veteran because he was in the Texas air national guard but compared to the folks he had to run against (in the 2000 primary and the general), he was the a draft dodger.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:36 AM
You mean he's STILL here?
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
And promptly walks it back last night when asked directly by Colbert.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skammer View Post
- you get an African-American, a Caucasian, a man, a woman, a disabled person; something for everyone!
Reminds me of Bloom County's presidential candidate Limekiller: "we've got a black, a woman, two dips and a cripple".

Or did I just get whooshed?
Old 12-07-2016, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
I think Biden will be too old, too white, and too male for the Democratic Party in 2020.
Yeah, because the Democrats hate men and white people.

Are you seriously listening to yourself? Yeah, the Republicans have turned themselves into a white-only club. That doesn't mean the Democrats are the opposite.
Old 12-07-2016, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemur866 View Post
Yeah, the Republicans have turned themselves into a white-only club.
28% of Hispanics
27% of Asian
8% of blacks

Hardly white only.
Old 12-07-2016, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChockFullOfHeadyGoodness View Post
Reminds me of Bloom County's presidential candidate Limekiller: "we've got a black, a woman, two dips and a cripple".

Or did I just get whooshed?
You realize that the Bloom County strip was making fun of actual real-life Secretary of the Interior James Watt, who infamously described the EPA's coal-leasing board of the time as having "a black, a woman, two Jews and a cripple", right?
Old 12-08-2016, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skammer View Post
I'm not that familiar with Booker, but from the assorted interviews and appearances I've seen, that description seems to fit him. I'd be curious as to what your objections are. (I'm even less familiar with Newsom). Maybe we could have a Booker/Duckworth ticket - you get an African-American, a Caucasian, a man, a woman, a disabled person; something for everyone!
In Duckworth you get a Caucasian and an Asian (her mother is Thai/Chinese).
Old 12-08-2016, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mace View Post
In Duckworth you get a Caucasian and an Asian (her mother is Thai/Chinese).
Duckworth would also be great because she actually was born and raised in Thailand (she didn't move to Hawaii until she was 16). So we can have another exciting round of "is she even eligible to be President?". Good times.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
Duckworth would also be great because she actually was born and raised in Thailand (she didn't move to Hawaii until she was 16). So we can have another exciting round of "is she even eligible to be President?". Good times.
And we all know who devious those Hawaiian officials are when it comes to birth certificates!!
Old 12-08-2016, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmore View Post
The challenge for the Dems in 2020 will be to find a candidate who can win, not necessarily who will make the best president. Winning the election is all that matters. I think Biden would have a great chance of winning in 2020. He might not make it through his term, but that doesn't matter.
Well, you win when the Federal Reserve let you. Hillary was running in a down economy, which was guaranteed a year ago when the Fed raised interest rates prematurely.

It's hard to see how Trump can save the economy, which is good for Democrats now. Just nominate the best you can, because you can't control which party wins; only the central bank can do that.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolsguinea View Post
Well, you win when the Federal Reserve let you. Hillary was running in a down economy, which was guaranteed a year ago when the Fed raised interest rates prematurely.

It's hard to see how Trump can save the economy, which is good for Democrats now. Just nominate the best you can, because you can't control which party wins; only the central bank can do that.
Huh? The economy is doing just fine. Well enough that the Fed is likely to raise rates again at their next meeting.

What's more likely is that if Trump passes the stimulus package that he's promised, the economy is going to overheat, causing a lot of inflation.
Old 12-16-2016, 11:00 PM

The Ohio guy that stood for House Democratic leader vs. Pelosi will be a candidate sooner than later, IMO, but probably not yet for 2020.
Old 12-16-2016, 11:28 PM

Someone who challenges Nancy Pelosi from the left is probably not electable nationally. But we'll see how he governs Ohio, since that seems to be what he's aiming for.
Old 12-16-2016, 11:44 PM
Charter Member

My guess is that when the dust settles and people start thinking seriously about the next election, they're going to look at the success of Bill Clinton and Barack Obama and the failure of Hillary Clinton, John Kerry, and Al Gore. The conclusion will be that competence alone can't win a presidential election. They'll be looking for a candidate who has a lot of personal charisma. Somebody who can win over voters with charm. And let's face facts, that's not going to be Joe Biden.
Old 12-16-2016, 11:50 PM

And that would be a great way to lose by once again by fighting the last campaign.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post
And that would be a great way to lose by once again by fighting the last campaign.
As I pointed out, it's been a factor in the last seven campaigns.

Last edited by Little Nemo; 12-17-2016 at 08:36 AM.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:18 PM

Updating this thread:
Quote:
Biden tells supporters he's planning to run for president: report
Getty Images

Former Vice President Joe Biden reached out to several supporters Tuesday saying he intends to run for president in 2020, according to a new report.

The Wall Street Journal reported Tuesday that Biden told his supporters that he was worried he would be unable to raise large sums of money in the hours following his announcement.
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...esident-report

Wall Street Journal article:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/joe-bid...id-11553033380
Old 03-19-2019, 08:32 PM
Charter Member

I think I've amply expressed my negative feelings about a Biden candidacy in posts 26, 40, and 45 of this thread, so I won't clutter up this thread with them.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Little View Post
Trump will be the oldest person to begin their tenure as president at 70. Clearly, electing an older person as POTUS, isn't an impediment to the electorate.

Biden is currently 74, so he would be 78 if elected in 2020.

Too old, or not a concern?
Not a concern at all for me. Age is one concern for a "potus to be". Another is sanity. Another still is judgement. With the current clown in office it is clear that the major concerns don't act as an impediment. So why should age? The worst he could do is die in office. Bring Biden on, and at the debates put boxing gloves on him and Trump.

ETA: Didn't realize the zombie status of this thread, but my thought still stands.

Last edited by bobot; 03-19-2019 at 09:36 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:48 PM

Biden should offer Trump his VP slot. The Republicans won't know what hit them. I'm sure many times, Trump has glanced enviously at Pence and thought "Why isn't that dummy golfing more? If I was VP, I'd golf a lot more."

Last edited by CarnalK; 03-19-2019 at 09:49 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

All else being equal, I'd prefer a younger President.

All else is never equal.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:54 PM

I think he's the safest bet to win over Trump, but Democrats smell an opportunity in the air to gamble on some of their more left-leaning goals. Trump is a uniquely vulnerable candidate in 2020, and Democrats are betting they can push M4A, GND, and whatever else because he's just that unpalatable.

We'll see if their bet pays off.

People would vote for Biden for no other reason than a return to normalcy, dignity, and statesmanship. You know, the things we do kinda want our president to possess.

Last edited by Dacien; 03-20-2019 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:30 PM

Joy Reid (subbing for Rachel Maddow) had a discussion last night about the Biden candidacy, and the rumors that he's talking to Stacey Abrams about being his running mate. Word is that Biden is considering pledging that he would only serve one term as President; essentially he would come into office, do everything he could to restore functionality and normality to the Executive Branch (at least) and then step aside for a younger Democratic candidate (presumably Abrams).

I have to admit, I find a lot to like about this path. I am all about the Democratic Party elevating a younger generation of leadership, but given the chaos of the Trump administration, I find the idea of an old hand at the tiller for a few years very appealing. If Biden were 10 years younger (hell, maybe only 5), for me it would be a no-brainer and I'd be 100% behind such a plan. Despite myself, his age bothers me. He seems in good health, but still...

If I were Abrams, I'd want assurances that his health is, in fact, as good as can be expected, and that I would be very involved in the administration so as to be better positioned for a run in 2024 (and on the chance that Biden dies in office).

I like most of the current Democratic candidates, and I think most of them are sober, well-meaning, thoughtful people who, under normal circumstances would make perfectly decent Presidents. I worry some about the state of the government that the next office-holder will inherit, and would feel better if our next President had significant experience in Washington to enable them to re-build institutional competence. We've all seen what can happen when an experienced Executive takes over.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:47 PM

I'm not sure everyone will be onboard with Biden unilaterally deciding to airdrop a state representative into the 2024 Presidential nominee slot. Yes, Abrams is a promising up and comer but hardly the obvious choice for two elections from now. If one term is his plan, there's probably a better choice.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:25 PM
You mean he's STILL here?
Charter Member

I didn't vote based on the Vice Presidential nominee when Richard Nixon picked Spiro Agnew, when Walter Mondale picked Geraldine Ferraro, when George H.W. Bush picked Dan Quayle, when Michael Dukakis picked Lloyd Bentsen, when George W. Bush picked Dick Cheney, or when John McCain picked Sarah Palin.

If Biden gets into the race, I'll either vote for him or I'll vote for someone else. Period.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
I'm not sure everyone will be onboard with Biden unilaterally deciding to airdrop a state representative into the 2024 Presidential nominee slot. Yes, Abrams is a promising up and comer but hardly the obvious choice for two elections from now. If one term is his plan, there's probably a better choice.
Duckworth.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:18 AM

Please run Hillary again. Please, please, please run Hillary again!!!!!
Old 03-25-2019, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlb View Post
Joy Reid (subbing for Rachel Maddow) had a discussion last night about the Biden candidacy, and the rumors that he's talking to Stacey Abrams about being his running mate. Word is that Biden is considering pledging that he would only serve one term as President; essentially he would come into office, do everything he could to restore functionality and normality to the Executive Branch (at least) and then step aside for a younger Democratic candidate (presumably Abrams).

I have to admit, I find a lot to like about this path. I am all about the Democratic Party elevating a younger generation of leadership, but given the chaos of the Trump administration, I find the idea of an old hand at the tiller for a few years very appealing.
I hadn't heard this one, but if that's the game plan, then NO. And this has nothing to do with the objections to Biden I've voiced in other threads; this is just as true if he's everything his popular image is.

The impetus for change in domestic policy is always at its strongest when a new party first recaptures the White House. Then the first midterms come along and the opposition party picks up a bunch of seats, the President has less of a margin of error within his own caucus, and before you know it the President is looking to foreign policy for the rest of his accomplishments.

You don't want to waste those first two years 'restoring normalcy.' Not if we want to pass major climate change legislation before it's too late. Not if we want to get the minimum wage up where it ought to be. Not if we want universal health care. Not if we want to strengthen workers' rights.

And of course, Biden won't push to get rid of the filibuster, and if nobody's pushing him, Schumer won't do it. And if the filibuster remains, then Mitch will block every damned thing the Democrats try to do.

Trump is a serious problem. Mitch McConnell is a far worse problem, and he will hold his caucus together. Any Presidential candidate without a plan to deal with that reality isn't worth bothering with.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:08 AM

I'm not sure but I think Biden is running for president as of today: https://www.instagram.com/joebiden/
Old 04-25-2019, 06:39 AM
Charter Member

Yes, he officially announced:

The core values of this nation… our standing in the world… our very democracy...everything that has made America -- America --is at stake. That’s why today I’m announcing my candidacy for President of the United States. #Joe2020

https://t.co/jzaQbyTEz3