Old 04-13-2017, 08:47 AM

Carter Page doesn't sound so confident that he didn't offer to ease sanctions on Russia:

“Absolutely not,” he said, adding: “I never offered that. No, nothing along those lines. Absolutely not. I mean, it may — topics — I don’t remember. We’ll see what comes out in this FISA transcript.”

But when Stephanopoulos pushed Page, Page said “something may have come up in a conversation,” before adding: “I have no recollection, and there is nothing specifically that I would have done that would have given people that impression, George.”
Old 04-13-2017, 10:26 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DlN4Sh06po 3:10

Quote:
There is no cannibalism in the British navy, absolutely none, and when I say none, I mean there is a certain amount. More than I'm prepared to admit.

Graham Chapman, Monty Python

Last edited by Belowjob2.0; 04-13-2017 at 10:26 AM.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belowjob2.0 View Post
That is disturbingly apt.

(Not literally, one hopes-- but the tone is spot-on.)
Old 04-13-2017, 03:41 PM

As I noted once before, Page is such a crazy loser and Russian sycophant that he's a bigger risk of becoming a handy scapegoat for the whole issue than he is in linking Trump to Russia. I'm sure that he's done sketchy things in the name of Russia, and that may well get him in trouble, but it seems unlikely that anyone would trust him with anything of merit, even Trump.

Unless something truly explosive comes out of the transcripts on him, and those are directly linked to directives from Trump, I don't think it's worth spending any more time on him than necessary to keep the Russian connection in the news.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:05 AM

The trail of 5-8 dead Russians involves many who clearly died for reasons far and away from the U.S. Russia ties. Maybe 1 or 2 COULD be relevant an the rest clearly are not even remotely relevant to the U.S./Russia ties.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/24/europe/dead-russians/

Last edited by phreak9; 04-14-2017 at 07:05 AM.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:29 PM

FISA warrant issued due to that dossier. Very relevant part:

"Officials familiar with the process say even if the application to monitor Page included information from the dossier, it would only be after the FBI had corroborated the information through its own investigation. The officials would not say what or how much was corroborated."

Remember when certain people on this board pretended that this dossier was actually a 4chan hoax?:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okrahoma View Post
This whole thing started as a hoax on 4chan /pol/ :

https://archive.4plebs.org/pol/threa...8919/#95571329

A lot of people are going to get fired
Turns out he was wrong, but I hope he's right about that last part.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:53 AM

Chaffetz first announced that he is not seeking reelection. Now, this morning, he is strongly hinting that he might not even finish his current term. Anyone think this sudden change of heart is a bit odd?
Old 04-20-2017, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

Now I'm hearing that he may resign tomorrow. WTF?
Old 04-20-2017, 01:57 PM

Twitter rumors are either an extra-marital affair or Russian kompromat (which might be about an affair).
Old 04-20-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Twitter rumors are either an extra-marital affair or Russian kompromat (which might be about an affair).
Something along these lines.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
I dunno about these rumors. Seems pretty outlandish to think anyone would fuck that guy.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubaya View Post
I dunno about these rumors. Seems pretty outlandish to think anyone would fuck that guy.
I dunno. For Utah he's pretty much Jack Sparrow.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Another rumor: campaign finance irregularities.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

Latest rumor, then I'll stop: job offer.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:28 PM

One other possibility is that what's being reported is actually true.

That he's sick and tired of spending most nights sleeping on a cot in his Washington office, far away from his family in Utah. (And that now that Republicans have the White House, the Oversight Committee is not as big a focal point of Republican power as it was previously.)

Some people are like that.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

Most people know when they are getting tired of a job they don't run for re-election. November wasnt that long ago, FP.

Unless you're Sarah Palin, that is.

I think it's most likely a job offer.

Last edited by JohnT; 04-20-2017 at 03:31 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:33 PM

Trump was not expected to win. Once he won, things changed, as noted above.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotheringay-Phipps View Post
So too much winning for him then?
Old 04-20-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
True, he was expecting to oppose a competent president, not have to support an incompetent one.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:37 PM

Kind of sad that there's less need for oversight if your own party wins. But whatever. Clearly, it would hurt your own political prospects if you have to censure your own party members. So better to cut and run.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crybaby Boobie View Post
Kind of sad that there's less need for oversight if your own party wins. But whatever. Clearly, it would hurt your own political prospects if you have to censure your own party members. So better to cut and run.
That's the way it is (with both parties). But it's more than that.

Even if Chaffetz were to treat Clinton and Trump exactly the same, he's a much bigger deal if the Republicans are out of executive power and he's a leading voice for the Republican opposition, than he is when the Republicans have executive power and his Oversight business is a much smaller deal.

The same goes for other positions as well. Schumer and Pelosi are more important with Trump in power than they would be in those minority leader roles with Clinton in power. Etc.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
True, he was expecting to oppose a competent president, not have to support an incompetent one.
An incompetent person Chaffetz said he wasn't going to vote for... then voted for him anyway.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Stone View Post
That seems a bit like confirmation bias. Trump's 'anti-NATO' position is better described as browbeating NATO into increasing their defense spending. That's not in Putin's interest. And Trump has been a huge proponent of fracking and more oil drilling, which affects Russia's bottom line directly. Putin also can't be thrilled with Trump's plan to heavily invest in expanding the U.S. military, nor can he be particularly happy with Trump's strong Israel positions or the apparent shift towards a more aggressive policy towards Iran,

For every thing Trump has said or done that would seem to benefit Russia, there are multipke others that are a direct threat to Russian interests. So it's very hard to see why Putin would want Trump over Hillary, whose state department watched fecklessly as Russia gained territory and power around the world.
If your argument is that Putin had no motive to help Trump, it has several flaws, most notably that Putin didn't expect Trump to actually win. His operation would have been a big success if severely-weakened Hillary became Potus — Trump's victory was just an unexpected bonus. (U.S. disorganized, pro-Israel, and anti-NATO are all very good for Putin, dwarfing the impact of slightly lower gas prices.)
Old 04-20-2017, 04:59 PM

Quote:

That he's sick and tired of spending most nights sleeping on a cot in his Washington office, far away from his family in Utah. (And that now that Republicans have the White House, the Oversight Committee is not as big a focal point of Republican power as it was previously.)

That's a pretty normal reason to not run again. But to quit in the middle of a term (just a 2 year term!)? Or to quit in a matter of days? That's pretty damn unusual.

Possible, sure. But I think it's likely that there's a non-family reason, if he does indeed leave shortly.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:

I mean, I guess it's possible -in theory at least- for a republican to tell the truth, but extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:19 PM
Charter Member

Odd that all these people who are charged with investigating the administration are blowing up, blowing off, or recusing themselves. Nunes. Sessions. Chaffetz.

But I'm sure they all just want to spend more time @ home.

(BTW, Chaffetz just posted some puff-piece about his wife on Twitter. In related news, odds that he is resigning because of an affair has skyrocketed.)
Old 04-20-2017, 05:24 PM

"Spending more time with the family" has to become the new euphemism for cheating on the spouse, or something (like "discussing constitutional matters" after a Danish MP became ill under very suspicious circumstances while in the company of a fellow MP).
Old 04-20-2017, 05:34 PM

Not sure how this fits in, but the US is seeking to arrest Assange.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

War with Ecuador is more winnable than a nuke exchange with N Korea...
Old 04-21-2017, 03:05 PM

Looks like Yates, Clapper, and Brennan are being invited to testify once again. It'll be interesting to hear the results of their testimony.

Quote:
The House Intelligence Committee is working to reschedule a hearing on Russia with members of the Obama administration, including former acting Attorney General Sally Yates.

The committee announced Friday it has invited Yates, along with former CIA Director John Brennan and former Director of National Intelligence James Clapper, to testify before the panel. The open hearing would be scheduled after May 2, the committee said.

The three had been scheduled to testify in March, but Intelligence Chairman Devin Nunes (R-Calif.) abruptly canceled the session after the Trump administration raised concerns about it. Nunes has since stepped aside from leading the Intelligence Committee’s investigation into Russia’s meddling in the presidential election, with Rep. Mike Conaway (R-Texas) taking the helm.
Old 04-22-2017, 02:34 PM

"TRIED" TO???!!?!? WTF?

From CNN: "The FBI gathered intelligence last summer that suggests Russian operatives tried to use Trump advisers, including Carter Page, to infiltrate the Trump campaign, according to US officials."

Bolding mine.

The impeach window is now about the size of a smart phone.
Old 04-22-2017, 02:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locrian View Post
"TRIED" TO???!!?!? WTF?
Anti-trumper journalists grasping for straws.
Old 04-22-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locrian View Post
"TRIED" TO???!!?!? WTF?

From CNN: "The FBI gathered intelligence last summer that suggests Russian operatives tried to use Trump advisers, including Carter Page, to infiltrate the Trump campaign, according to US officials."

Bolding mine.

The impeach window is now about the size of a smart phone.
How would that mean impeachment for Trump? Trump should be impeached if he colluded with Russia. If, instead, Russian agents were trying to secretly penetrate into his entourage, and he was firing them as each one was exposed, that's basically good.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:49 PM
BANNED

From yesterday:

Wolf Blitzer: "I know that you and some of your colleagues from the Senate Intelligence Committee drove over to Langley, Virginia yesterday to CIA headquarters and you were briefed ... You don’t have to provide us with any classified information, Senator, but do you believe, do you have evidence that there was in fact collusion between Trump associates and Russia during the campaign?"

Feinstein: "Not at this time"

Oh, and Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:17 PM

I don't think there is evidence of collusion. That would require me to believe that a man like Putin rose to the top of the KGB by trusting ignorant blabbermouths to keep secrets.
Old 05-05-2017, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
I don't think there is evidence of collusion. That would require me to believe that a man like Putin rose to the top of the KGB by trusting ignorant blabbermouths to keep secrets.
I doubt that there was any collaborative effort to win the election. Putin was already doing everything he could to fight Hillary and Trump was picking up all the anti-Hilary stuff he could find, without encouragement.

Of course, that wouldn't necessarily stop the Trump campaign from trying to do things to help the Russian effort, like sending over demographics data and lists of names, unsolicited. I might not believe that Putin would look for them to help, because they're stupid. But I would believe that, because they're stupid, they'd try to be helpful when they shouldn't be, and that would count as collusion for me. Attempting to use a foreign nation to sabotage your enemy - whether they do so or not or even where those efforts are effective or not - is clearly an attempt to subvert the democratic process of our nation.

And while I do think that Trump and many of his advisors are stupid and occasional blabbermouths, for the amount of money bring transferred as part of the Rosneft deal, I think it's safe to assume that ain't no one so dumb as to blab about that, if they're on the receiving end. And there, if it was a real deal, the goal wouldn't be to pervert the election, it would be a deal to back out of the Ukraine or something like that. Lifting some of the sanctions on Russia is still one of the few acts that Trump has undertaken, and the earliest. It's entirely possible that he is simply waiting out the storm before completing his obligations.
Old 05-05-2017, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubaya View Post
Au contraire - I'd guess that there are thousands and thousands of people who, seeing or hearing about Chaffetz, immediately think "Fuck that guy".
Old 05-05-2017, 06:33 AM

Strange article. It doesn't seem to really make a point anywhere (or ,at least, I didn't see it). It seems more like they just wanted to share information that they had found, in the hopes that someone else knew a way to investigate it more deeply.

In summary:

The Trump campaign seems to have paid a group that has ties to Flynn and Turkey, which does media analysis for the military, during the campaign. But rather than pay them directly, they paid a venture-capital firm that is an investor in that company, so whether the money actually went to the media analysis group at all, is a question.

Last edited by Sage Rat; 05-05-2017 at 06:36 AM.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
How would that mean impeachment for Trump? Trump should be impeached if he colluded with Russia. If, instead, Russian agents were trying to secretly penetrate into his entourage, and he was firing them as each one was exposed, that's basically good.
Ok, now what if he wasn't firing them when the were exposed, but keeping them on even when he was told about them?
Old 05-08-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
Ok, now what if he wasn't firing them when the were exposed, but keeping them on even when he was told about them?
I fully support an investigation into Trump, on many different things. I was pointing out that the CNN article was stupid, nothing more and nothing less.
Old 05-08-2017, 04:53 PM

N/A

Last edited by drad dog; 05-08-2017 at 04:53 PM.
Old 05-09-2017, 04:55 PM

Hokey smokes, Trump just canned Comey.
Old 05-09-2017, 04:55 PM

James Comey fired.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:04 PM

He now needs to be deposed, questioned in depth by the FBI to learn if and how he tried to make it look like he was so clumsy and inadequate in handling these sensitive matters that he couldn't possibly have been trying to screw up Hilliary....it was just some miscommunications, some misunderstandings, some poorly worded statements....some nauseating garbage from someone who should have had the small amount of sense to know that you have to show impartiality in political matters if you want to remain appointed to head a government intelligence agency.

After he swears to all he knows, put him into witness protection.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:58 PM

While I expected Comey to get into some trouble for the email misstatement (this is why professional interrogators don't ask a question only once, we're fallible creatures and we mess our sentences up on occasion), that's a pretty damn small excuse to use to justify firing him. The only reason to fire him now, on that basis, is because you've been waiting for any possible justification to fire him.

Either Comey pissed in Session's Wheaties (possible revenge for being forced to recuse himself from the Russian investigation? I don't remember Comey being involved in that at all), or someone on Trump's team is dumb enough to think that getting Comey out of the way will be sufficient to stop the other several hundred people in the FBI who are investigating him.

With the Supreme Court showdown over, I don't see the nuclear option being deployed to allow Trump to put a puppet into the role. McConnell already snubbed him on any future talks of the filibuster being further weakened and the parties collaborated on the spending bill, ignoring all of Trump's requests and threats.

I suspect that the FBI director position is going to sit unappointed for a goodly while, as Trump cries and shouts, trying to push some idiot into the job, and the Democrats blocking it easily. Eventually, McCabe will take the role on officially in much the same way that McMasters took over the National Security Advisor position. If you've done the job for long enough, everyone's just going to accept that it's a done deal and move on to other things.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
With the Supreme Court showdown over, I don't see the nuclear option being deployed to allow Trump to put a puppet into the role. McConnell already snubbed him on any future talks of the filibuster being further weakened and the parties collaborated on the spending bill, ignoring all of Trump's requests and threats.

I suspect that the FBI director position is going to sit unappointed for a goodly while, as Trump cries and shouts, trying to push some idiot into the job, and the Democrats blocking it easily. Eventually, McCabe will take the role on officially in much the same way that McMasters took over the National Security Advisor position. If you've done the job for long enough, everyone's just going to accept that it's a done deal and move on to other things.
Either you or I has a horribly erroneous understanding of the requirements to appoint a new FBI Director. Here is mine: Harry Reid eliminated the 60-vote filibuster threshold for all non-SCOTUS presidential nominees back in 2013. The Democrats can't block shit.

Last edited by HurricaneDitka; 05-09-2017 at 07:57 PM.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:
With the Supreme Court showdown over, I don't see the nuclear option being deployed to allow Trump to put a puppet into the role.
You do understand that nuclear option has already been deployed and that anyone Trump appoints only needs 50 votes in the Senate, right?
Old 05-09-2017, 08:22 PM
Charter Member

BREAKING: CNN Exclusive: Subpoenas issued in FBI's Russia investigation. Amazing timing. https://t.co/muGvvJg3K3

Last edited by JohnT; 05-09-2017 at 08:22 PM.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
BREAKING: CNN Exclusive: Subpoenas issued in FBI's Russia investigation. Amazing timing. https://t.co/muGvvJg3K3
Subpoenas issued for Michael Flynn and his associates. Which, based on all the info that came out on Flynn, is completely unsurprising. Flynn is in trouble. Been in trouble for a while now. What's new?
Old 05-09-2017, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okrahoma View Post
Subpoenas issued for Michael Flynn and his associates. Which, based on all the info that came out on Flynn, is completely unsurprising. Flynn is in trouble. Been in trouble for a while now. What's new?
Wanna bet there are more subpoenas coming?