Old 03-09-2018, 11:35 PM

2020: Picking a running mate upon entering the race

I've read a few stories about Joe Biden in 2020 recently, and it seems like he's seriously considering a 2020 run. The stories I've read in the past day or so say he and his team are considering some outside-the-box approaches to the campaign, including announcing his candidacy with a running mate by his side. (Presumably a younger female candidate, to balance his age and white masculinity).

From Politico: Team Biden considers far-out options to take on Trump in 2020 (3/9/2018)

Quote:
Between stops on [Biden's] book tour and in the ramp-up for what will be a heavy midterms campaign schedule, a tight circle of aides has been brainstorming a range of tear-up-the-playbook ideas for a White House run, according to people who’ve been part of the discussions or told about them.

On the list: announcing his candidacy either really early or really late in the primary process so that he’d define the field around him or let it define itself before scrambling the field; skipping Iowa and New Hampshire and going straight to South Carolina, where he has always had a strong base of support; announcing a running mate right out of the gate and possibly picking one from outside of politics; and making a pitch that he can be a bridge not just to disaffected Democrats, but to Republicans revolting against President Donald Trump.
Emphasis mine, cuz this is the meat of my thread. Now granted, these are just aides talking outside-the-box to the press at this point. But I have to believe Old Joe, who wants the presidency like a fat kid wants brownies, doesn't let things like this "leak" from his aides without his say so. He's too savvy for that. Call this a trial balloon.

From the WP conservative blog: Here's how we know Joe Biden is serious about 2020 (3/8/2018)

Quote:
Biden might...present himself as being there to perform triage and get American democracy back on its feet before handing it off to the next generation. To the last point, he could distinguish himself upfront by selecting a younger running mate, most likely a woman and/or a minority. Could he persuade, say, Sen. Kamala D. Harris (D-Calif.) to be his running mate — with the obvious opportunity to run for president on her own in 2024?

Critics will say it is a sad commentary on the Democratic Party that it must rely on a septuagenarian to bring it back from the wilderness. Perhaps, but that is essentially what 69-year-old Ronald Reagan did in 1980 when he rode to victory for the Republican Party. Yes, Biden is no Reagan, but he could provide a bridge between the Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton factions, and between one generation of Democrats and another.
To counter these two stories, there's another WP blog post that calls many of those ideas, including the early announcement of a running mate, "not good ones." Regarding the running mate idea:

Quote:
This is an idea that has been considered and rejected by other candidates in the past for good reasons. It’s not only presumptuous, it robs Biden of the flexibility to observe and eventually choose a vanquished but worthy foe, which is how Biden himself was selected by Barack Obama.

It also strips the campaign’s convention period of its only true drama and the boost the right choice can make heading into the campaign’s homestretch.
To counter that last argument: Who gives a shit about true drama? In 2020, we'll most-likely already know who the GOP ticket is at that point (Trump/Pence), so they won't be benefiting off any summertime drama. And I really don't think most Americans who hate Trump want to be surprised by a bad pick by the Dems at that point.

We've entered a completely unconventional time in our nation's politics...and even our nation's history. We need to right the ship and get things back to normal, but I wouldn't be opposed to some outside-the-box approaches to getting there.

I've been singing the song of how important it is for the Dems to hit on basically all of these marks on their 2020 presidential ticket:

-White
-Person-of-color
-Male
-Female
-Washington insider
-Washington outsider
-Executive experience
-Rust belter
-Red stater
-Military experience

No single candidate could check off all of those, but, with a running mate, you could. If someone like Biden, Elizabeth Warren, Bernie Sanders, or an outsider like AFL-CIO President Richard Trumka or Retired Navy SEAL Adm. William McRaven, found someone who could fill in some of the demographic and experience gaps, they could bust out of the gate in a whole new way: as a completely-balanced team.

Sure, we've never done this before, but there's a lot of shit happening we haven't done before. There was a time when presidential candidates didn't pick running mates either; the general election loser was just the Veep. Maybe one presidential candidate selecting a running mate at the onset will give him or her a leg up, and maybe this will change the way we do things in the future. I mean, honestly, the person we usually elect as Veep is an add-on, an after-thought, yet this person could very well be our president someday. What would be so bad about them going through the primary process right along with the top of the ticket?
Old 03-09-2018, 11:58 PM

If the presidential candidate is someone like Biden, they NEED to have a black VP. The black vote is crucial. They need to energize black voters, someone like Obama could do it, someone like Biden can't....HMMMM....I wonder just why that is? I'm not implying anything wrong with blacks voting for a black candidate out of racial solidarity alone...they deserve to have that. They deserve representation and the government typically doesn't give it to them. And there's no greater sense of representation than the executive office.

I'm not saying they should just have a token black person for no other reason than race - that individual also needs to be charismatic and qualified. But it would be a good strategic choice.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:02 AM

Sounds like Booker to me.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:20 AM

Well, I think Booker should be the presidential candidate, not the VP candidate - in that case, I think the VP would need to be a white, older male, with military experience, a conservative-leaning Democrat like Jim Webb. He would need to be solidly respected by the military, NOT someone like John Kerry whose anti-war activities were spun as unpatriotic.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacquernagy View Post
If the presidential candidate is someone like Biden, they NEED to have a black VP. The black vote is crucial. They need to energize black voters, someone like Obama could do it, someone like Biden can't....HMMMM....I wonder just why that is? I'm not implying anything wrong with blacks voting for a black candidate out of racial solidarity alone...they deserve to have that. They deserve representation and the government typically doesn't give it to them. And there's no greater sense of representation than the executive office.

I'm not saying they should just have a token black person for no other reason than race - that individual also needs to be charismatic and qualified. But it would be a good strategic choice.
Booker would be good, but I think going a little deeper into the Dem bench would be beneficial as well. The GOP likely has a few binders of attacks lined up for someone like Booker (and Biden and Bernie and Warren...).

I've thought Rep. Brenda Lawrence (MI-14) would be a solid running mate for someone like Biden or Bernie. First of all she's an African-American female, but she's also a:
-Retired federal employee (30 years with USPS)-- started as a carrier, retired in HR
-Been married to the same guy for 42 years, retired UAW/Ford
-Served on local school board
-Served on her city council
-Was mayor of Southfield, MI (a mid-sized, culturally-, politically-, economically-diverse city in metro Detroit)
-Ran against a pillar of conservative politics for county executive in a very conservative county in SE Michigan (Oakland County) and came as close as anyone's ever come to beating him
-Ran for Michigan Lt. Gov. (lost in a year that wasn't a good year for Dems in Michigan)
-As mayor, lobbied extensively in DC on behalf of the auto industry and mortgage relief during the economic crisis of '08
-Has served in the House since 2015, and is on the Committee on Oversight and Government Reform (See: Flint, Trump/Russia) as well as the Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure.
-Is a member of the House Progressive Caucus

She'd make a solid choice for Bernie to announce with: She's female, black, from a state Trump won, from a rust belt state, she has executive experience, and she's new enough and unknown enough to sorta, kinda, qualify as an "outsider." I mean, shit, she was a career postal worker before she got into politics. The only thing lacking on that ticket would be military experience.

ETA: She was also snapped playing Candy Crush during Trump's SotU Address, which is a-ok in my book.

Last edited by Happy Lendervedder; 03-10-2018 at 12:31 AM.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Well, I think Booker should be the presidential candidate, not the VP candidate - in that case, I think the VP would need to be a white, older male, with military experience, a conservative-leaning Democrat like Jim Webb. He would need to be solidly respected by the military, NOT someone like John Kerry whose anti-war activities were spun as unpatriotic.
I agree, but I'd have Booker announce with someone like Rep. Seth Moulton or Ret. Adm. William McRaven (watch this commencement address from Adm. McRaven in 2014 and tell me you wouldn't want to see him attached to a presidential ticket in 2020, either at the top or as the running mate).
Old 03-10-2018, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
Booker would be good, but I think going a little deeper into the Dem bench would be beneficial as well. The GOP likely has a few binders of attacks lined up for someone like Booker (and Biden and Bernie and Warren...).

I've thought Rep. Brenda Lawrence (MI-14) would be a solid running mate for someone like Biden or Bernie. First of all she's an African-American female, but she's also a:
-Retired federal employee (30 years with USPS)-- started as a carrier, retired in HR
-Been married to the same guy for 42 years, retired UAW/Ford
-Served on local school board
-Served on her city council
-Was mayor of Southfield, MI (a mid-sized, culturally-, politically-, economically-diverse city in metro Detroit)
-Ran against a pillar of conservative politics for county executive in a very conservative county in SE Michigan (Oakland County) and came as close as anyone's ever come to beating him
-Ran for Michigan Lt. Gov. (lost in a year that wasn't a good year for Dems in Michigan)
-As mayor, lobbied extensively in DC on behalf of the auto industry and mortgage relief during the economic crisis of '08
-Has served in the House since 2015, and is on the Committee on Oversight and Government Reform (See: Flint, Trump/Russia) as well as the Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure.
-Is a member of the House Progressive Caucus

She'd make a solid choice for Bernie to announce with: She's female, black, from a state Trump won, from a rust belt state, she has executive experience, and she's new enough and unknown enough to sorta, kinda, qualify as an "outsider." I mean, shit, she was a career postal worker before she got into politics. The only thing lacking on that ticket would be military experience.

ETA: She was also snapped playing Candy Crush during Trump's SotU Address, which is a-ok in my book.
Bernie's done. Aside from his being old, Warren will strip a lot of his support, and he burned his bridges with the DNC. No joy there.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ace View Post
Bernie's done. Aside from his being old, Warren will strip a lot of his support, and he burned his bridges with the DNC. No joy there.
On his own, you're right. But announcing with someone, an established Dem, that covers a lot of his gaps, maybe not so much. For all his faults, he does still carry the title of "Most Popular Politician in America," I believe.

ETA: But don't necessarily get hung up on Bernie here. This is more about a candidate announcing with someone as a running mate. Could that work to a candidate's benefit, even someone like Bernie, who you say is done?

Last edited by Happy Lendervedder; 03-10-2018 at 01:04 AM.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:12 PM
BANNED

Grandpa Joe will be 76 this November. He said he didn't have the steam in 2016
Old 03-10-2018, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

Forgetting about Biden and Bernie, I don't like the idea of announcing a running mate early. First of all, in an average primary there are several candidates that have a good chance of claiming the nomination. Why would anyone want to prematurely hitch their wagon? Most primaries show a top tier candidate stumbling early and getting out of the race. Scott Walker didn't even make it to a primary for the Republicans, Gary Hart had his famous incident before 1988 primary season began and Biden had his plagiarism incident early on as well in 1988.

Second, a potential Veep might not be willing to disclose everything in their past early on in the primary season. S/he may have some skeletons that they're trying to keep buried and wont' be willing to disclose them unless they're at the point where they're in serious consideration for VP and the presidential nomination for their party has already been decided. There's some reason Gore didn't go with the obvious choice of Bob Graham in 2000. I doubt we will ever know if it was a skeleton in the closet or it if it was really a personality clash.
Old 03-10-2018, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
If the presidential candidate is someone like Biden, they NEED to have a black VP... I'm not implying anything wrong with blacks voting for a black candidate out of racial solidarity alone...they deserve to have that.
No, that's racist. You said it yourself:

Quote:
racial solidarity
A person's colour has nothing to do with their ability to be a president.

Let me, however, suggest that you may be onto something. If Biden were to announce a running-mate early, Biden could then retire from the race sometime before final nominations are due and that running-mate could go on to campaign for the nomination in an enhanced position.
Old 03-10-2018, 04:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post

A person's colour has nothing to do with their ability to be a president.

Let me, however, suggest that you may be onto something. If Biden were to announce a running-mate early, Biden could then retire from the race sometime before final nominations are due and that running-mate could go on to campaign for the nomination in an enhanced position.

You are correct, but would it be fair to say that a Democratic Presidential winner needs ( Bill Clinton and Barrack Obama ) need to be loved by the African American Community to win?

I think you could argue its right. Biden might not even live through his first term if elected, and gimmick VP Picks ( A woman or minority candidate who's not qualified ) is the quickest way to sink any presidential nominee by either party.

Trump isn't going to win the African American vote, but he can point to a rising economy and the lowest African American unemployment ever.
Old 03-10-2018, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

If Biden wanted to be President, then why the heck didn't he run in 2016, and save us all a lot of trouble?
Old 03-10-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver lining View Post
You are correct, but would it be fair to say that a Democratic Presidential winner needs ( Bill Clinton and Barrack Obama ) need to be loved by the African American Community to win?

I think you could argue its right. Biden might not even live through his first term if elected, and gimmick VP Picks ( A woman or minority candidate who's not qualified ) is the quickest way to sink any presidential nominee by either party.

Trump isn't going to win the African American vote, but he can point to a rising economy and the lowest African American unemployment ever.
Clinton 2.0 didn't lose because she didn't get the black vote - she lost because butthurt white people decided to take her deplorables comment personally, because listening to more than a soundbite is just too hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
If Biden wanted to be President, then why the heck didn't he run in 2016, and save us all a lot of trouble?
The suicide of his son MIGHT have had something to do with it.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel View Post
Clinton 2.0 didn't lose because she didn't get the black vote - she lost because butthurt white people decided to take her deplorables comment personally, because listening to more than a soundbite is just too hard.

Suicide? He died of brain cancer. (CNN)

Chronos: Dad Biden was bereft. He flat said he wasn't up to running in 2016 due to his son's death. Moreover, Hillary sucked it up in 2009 when Obama needed her and went to work as SoS. That had to be one of the hardest pills to swallow ever, and I'm sure she negotiated Obama's support for her run in 2016. Not an unreasonable ask, in my opinion. Had Biden entered the race, it would have put Obama in a terrible position.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver lining View Post
I hope that Americans of all colours look beyond the D and the R and at actual characters and policies.

Quote:
Trump isn't going to win the African American vote,
Why shouldn't a black person - I despise the AA term; either you're an American or you're not - vote for him if they like his policies and his character? (I find it difficult to believe that anyone can like the latter.) Do I recall correctly that one of his first Apprentices was black - and a woman?
Old 03-10-2018, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Remember the adage about how you can judge a person by the way they treat the wait staff? Clinton demonstrated her character by calling ordinary voters 'deplorables'. I rather think it went beyond that, though. For example, by all accounts, Clinton is not a nice person behind the scenes.

Compare Trump's election with Brexit: the elites treated the British public with contempt, blatantly and crassly lied to them, and got their arses bitten.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenglow View Post
. Moreover, Hillary sucked it up in 2009 when Obama needed her and went to work as SoS. That had to be one of the hardest pills to swallow ever, and I'm sure she negotiated Obama's support for her run in 2016. Not an unreasonable ask, in my opinion. Had Biden entered the race, it would have put Obama in a terrible position.
That's one way to look at it. Another is Hillary accepted the resume buffing job in exchange for becoming an Obama booster and to help her next run. I bet when she took that job, Biden knew she wasn't going to let him have his mostly uncontested nomination in 2016.

Mostly, early selection of your running mate sounds like a horrible idea. As mentioned, it throws away the option of picking a close rival from the primary to help mend wounds. In Biden's specific case, it looks like "don't worry I'm really just setting up this other guy because I'm obviously just gonna be a one termer". It looks like what it is, a way to take weight off how old he is. It's not an insane brainstorming suggestion but I don't think it's a good idea.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
If the presidential candidate is someone like Biden, they NEED to have a black VP.
Deval Patrick has started to make interested-sounding noises, even if Kamala Harris has more name rec. Cory Booker would probably go for the top job, though.

Quote:
And there are still a distressing number of people who just will not vote for a woman. That includes a lot of women.
Old 03-10-2018, 11:54 PM

Quote:
I hope that Americans of all colours look beyond the D and the R and at actual characters and policies.
Unfortunately, it's not that simple. If I vote for an R, and he/she wins, I'm stuck with the policies of an R. And I hate their policies.

I'll never vote for another R again unless the Dem is such a fuckup that I can't justify voting for him/her. I'm not going to gladly (or otherwise) bend over for entitlement, selfishness, and exclusion. And that won't change in my lifetime.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:30 AM
BANNED

Quote:

Hillary Clinton's African American vote was lower than Obama's, and his son died from cancer.

https://www.cnbc.com/2016/11/11/why-...ommentary.html

Last edited by Silver lining; 03-11-2018 at 07:31 AM.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quoth Quartz:

Remember the adage about how you can judge a person by the way they treat the wait staff? Clinton demonstrated her character by calling ordinary voters 'deplorables'.
What does one have to do with the other? She didn't call anyone "deplorable" because they were working a minimum wage job. She called them "deplorable" because they were racist, sexist, and otherwise bigots. Which somehow resulted in a bunch of people saying "Wait, she doesn't like bigots? But that's me! She must be talking about me!". The only people who were offended by Clinton's remark were those who are not only bigoted, but proud of their bigotry.

Meanwhile, Trump routinely insulted a larger portion of the electorate, more severely, and with greater frequency. If insulting the electorate would cause someone to lose, Trump would have lost.
Old 03-25-2018, 04:48 PM
Elephant Whisperer

I don't have a clue as to Biden's running mate, but I'm going to predict the 2020 election now: It will be Biden versus President Pence, with a Biden win, although he'll not serve out a full term due to a sudden heart attack on a slow Tuesday afternoon part-way through
Old 03-25-2018, 07:30 PM
You mean he's STILL here?
Charter Member

In 1976 Ronald Reagan announced that, if he were nominated, he would choose the moderate Sen. Richard Schweiker to be his VP. The only effect it had was to mobilize anti-Schweiker conservatives to turn away from Reagan and (narrowly) hand the nomination to Gerald Ford. Ford returned the favor by choosing Bob Dole to be his VP.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:15 AM

Bumping to say: Looks like the Biden people are seriously considering an early announcement with Stacy Abrams.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...s-running-mate

Last edited by Happy Lendervedder; 03-21-2019 at 10:15 AM.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
Bumping to say: Looks like the Biden people are seriously considering an early announcement with Stacy Abrams.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...s-running-mate
That would probably be a sharp political move (make waves, Abrams is a very sharp campaigner, etc.), even if it's perhaps not the best governing move (since presumably there are a lot of good Veep candidates already running that the eventual winner likely would want to consider) and not the best for the party (since Abrams would be a great GA senate candidate).
Old 03-21-2019, 11:34 AM

Biden is terrified of being humiliated. He doesn’t want to be another Clinton. He is focus-grouping the shit out of this because if he doesn’t keep his lead throughout the process, he’s done. There will be no recovery if he fumbles the ball.

I actually feel kinda bad for the guy. It’s the equivalent of a layup in open court. I like to think he won’t lose his confidence and he’ll pull it off, but I imagine the pressure is quite extraordinary. The longer he can put off making any statements or taking any positions, the better. This debate schedule is no friend to him, because I believe he will need to participate to stay viable.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:25 PM

Do people backing Biden know he went to DC when Nixon was president? There are new Congressmen/women who were not even born when he went to DC. I think in the dictionary his picture is there under career politician.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
Do people backing Biden know he went to DC when Nixon was president? There are new Congressmen/women who were not even born when he went to DC. I think in the dictionary his picture is there under career politician.
If he’s going to do things unconventionally he might as well go all out. In addition to announcing Abrams as his running mate, he could say he’s only going for one term and that he will endorse Abrams for the 2024 election. That would address the question of his age during a second term and also put to rest any questions about his choosing her as a “token” minority at the same time.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:55 PM
You mean he's STILL here?
Charter Member

Quote:
Do people backing Bernie Sanders know he ran for BOTH the Senate and Governor of Vermont the same year Biden ran for Senate?

Take a look at Bernie's entire history of running for public office. He makes Biden look like a dilettante.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Do people backing Biden know he went to DC when Nixon was president?
Yes.
Quote:
I think in the dictionary his picture is there under career politician.
I'm firmly in the President is not an entry level position camp. While I consider senior non-elected government service highly as well, career politicians tend to have the experience I want in a President. Biden's long service is a feature not a bug.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:37 PM

There is an interesting discussion of this by the Votemaster: https://www.electoral-vote.com/evp20...21.html#item-7, the seventh question down. However what the discussion turned on was a Biden/Harris ticket in which he pledged to serve only one term and then promote her as his successor. Something of the sort might work.

I prefer a candidate who has some administrative experience. That is, a governor (or possibly a major city mayor) over a senator. I happen to thing there is a lot of value in a smoothly running government.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlikTheBlue View Post
If he’s going to do things unconventionally he might as well go all out. In addition to announcing Abrams as his running mate, he could say he’s only going for one term and that he will endorse Abrams for the 2024 election. That would address the question of his age during a second term and also put to rest any questions about his choosing her as a “token” minority at the same time.
Why would the Dem voters like that? Why wouldn't you want a younger candidate who could give you eight years?

Both Biden and Sanders' age would seem like an issue to me. They would each be 78 when they took the oath of office. It is very likely that either could die or have serious health problems in their first term.

When you have other candidates, why pick those guys?
Old 03-22-2019, 01:05 AM
Charter Member

I think he might announce his candidacy and that he is only running for one term. He might also introduce a running-mate at the same time especially since the running-mate would be the presumptive candidate after Biden's single term.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:10 AM

If he picks someone like Harris or Booker, he's wasting his time going into it with a running mate.

If the goal is to destroy the field, he'd do better to do something like try to convince Martha McSally, Nikki Haley, or someone in that vein to run with him.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
If the goal is to destroy the field, [Biden]'d do better to do something like try to convince Martha McSally, Nikki Haley, or someone in that vein to run with him.
McSally is pro-life, voted to repeal ACA, opposed gay marriage, supports discrimination against gays, wants to dismantle SocSec, supports tax cuts for the rich and cutting programs for the needy, lauds Trump's Russia policies, etc.

If the Democrats just want to win and don't care if the country is actually run by Democrats, why not run Hannity-Coulter as the Dem Party ticket, or Pence-Ryan, or whoever the Deplorables' Flavors of the Month are?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoral View Post
If the presidential candidate is someone like Biden, they NEED to have a black VP. The black vote is crucial.
Rust Belt states like Michigan have a high black population. It seems to be true that low black enthusiasm for Hillary cost her the election. Is there any D white running that could reverse that?

Quote:
Remember the adage about how you can judge a person by the way they treat the wait staff? Clinton demonstrated her character by calling ordinary voters 'deplorables'. I rather think it went beyond that, though. For example, by all accounts, Clinton is not a nice person behind the scenes.

Compare Trump's election with Brexit: the elites treated the British public with contempt, blatantly and crassly lied to them, and got their arses bitten.
It was Trump's honesty, humility, and compassion for common people that got him elected! Got it.

Last edited by septimus; 03-22-2019 at 03:29 AM.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
It was Trump's honesty, humility, and compassion for common people that got him elected! Got it.
Umm.. no. Trump lies as naturally as breathing; that doesn't mean that his opponents should do it too.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
McSally is pro-life, voted to repeal ACA, opposed gay marriage, supports discrimination against gays, wants to dismantle SocSec, supports tax cuts for the rich and cutting programs for the needy, lauds Trump's Russia policies, etc.

If the Democrats just want to win and don't care if the country is actually run by Democrats, why not run Hannity-Coulter as the Dem Party ticket, or Pence-Ryan, or whoever the Deplorables' Flavors of the Month are?
Realistically, Pence's politics are as far away from Trump's as McSally's is from Biden's. Politicians (and people in general) have a habit of migrating their views to the expectations of whatever group they're in. If she was willing to accept the offer, I would strongly suspect that her views would move left, Biden's would move right, they would have a mostly shared platform and the two of them would agree to disagree on a few specific things.

But I would also note that the bench for VP level women, on the Republican side, is pretty shallow. On the plus side, they would be pretty distraught to lose either of the ones that they have.

Last edited by Sage Rat; 03-22-2019 at 02:15 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:31 PM

Announcing a VP seems like a gimmick and indicates a lack of confidence in his campaign. Announcing that he will only serve one term makes a certain amount of sense given his age but it also undermines the logic of his candidacy; why not select a younger candidate who can serve two terms?

I still think Biden has a shot given how crowded the field is, particularly the left end of the spectrum where everyone is trying to chase Bernie. A substantial portion of the Democrats, maybe half their voters don't want to move further left and Biden is well-placed to win these voters. It will be interesting to see if Beto makes a serious play for these voters. Klobuchar is another candidate who is targeting them but she lacks charisma and I think the stories of her mistreating staff will be a significant drag.

Last edited by Lantern; 03-22-2019 at 03:31 PM.