Old 02-18-2019, 04:26 PM

here is a good summary , the leader of the fraud told a person who worked for him to plead the 5th today but she did not.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/north...b01757c36e79ae
Old 02-18-2019, 04:30 PM

https://apnews.com/29cb5817cf6f4e6fbb43a4a245578d4c
Quote:
“The evidence that we will provide today will show that a coordinated, unlawful and substantially resourced absentee ballot scheme operated in the 2018 general election” in rural Bladen and Robeson counties, which are part of North Carolina’s 9th congressional district, state elections director Kim Strach said at the start of a state elections board hearing.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuffPost link
Just as the first day of the hearing was coming to a close, the board called Dowless as a witness. But Singletary, his lawyer, said her client would decline to testify unless the board ordered him to do so.

After the board went into a brief closed session, board member Robert Cordle said a state statute required Dowless to be given immunity if he was ordered to testify ― something the board was unwilling to do. Instead, Cordle asked him to testify voluntarily and said they would assume “negative inferences” if he did not. Singletary said again that Dowless would not testify.

“My client would love to testify under the right conditions,” Singletary told reporters after the hearing.
Yeah, the right conditions being "immunity from prosecution".
Old 02-20-2019, 08:21 PM

Mark Harris’ son, John, testified today. He said he’d warned his old man that Dowless wasn’t playing straight. But Mark Harris didn’t listen, and hired Dowless anyway:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPR
[John Harris] noticed odd results in vote-by-mail results in Bladen County, where the third-place finisher, Todd Johnson, won a near sweep of those ballots in the county. Dowless worked on behalf of Johnson in 2016.
John Harris then looked at publicly available data on when ballots were received and noticed that the absentee ballots were returned in "batches."
That led him to believe that someone was collecting ballots and turning them in.
"Did you talk about those concerns with Mark Harris?" asked Kim Strach, the executive director of the North Carolina State Board of Elections.
"I did," said John Harris.
https://www.npr.org/2019/02/20/69599...-gop-candidate
He finished his testimony saying that he didn’t think his dad really knew that Dowless was acting illegally.

In yesterday’s testimony, Andy Yates, of Red Dome, sorta threw Dowless into the meat grinder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte Observer
“I don’t know what to believe about McCrae Dowless. I don’t know whether or not to believe anything Mr. Dowless ever told me,” said Andy Yates, co-founder of the Cornelius-based Red Dome Group, a political consulting firm.
Yates said the Dowless deal was secured before he (Yates) got involved.
Quote:
Yates said that Harris personally hired Dowless to conduct get-out-the-vote operations in Bladen County before Harris hired Yates. “I felt Mr. Dowless was a done deal before I was even brought onto the campaign,” Yates testified.
https://www.charlotteobserver.com/ne...226453520.html
Also, there were other nefarious acts going-on in lovely Bladen County. It seems that poll workers may have been leaking early-voting results. Details in the above Charlotte Observer article. There's also a photo of the note that Dowless gave to witnesses, directing them to plead the 5th.

Last edited by shunpiker; 02-20-2019 at 08:22 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old 02-21-2019, 07:10 AM
Charter Member

Wikipedia:
Quote:
Harris served as the senior pastor of the First Baptist Church in Charlotte, North Carolina,[3] and as president of the Baptist State Convention of North Carolina.
Seems like Harris is right in the wheelhouse of the current "What principles? Just win, baby!" ethic of white evangelicalism.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:03 PM

Harris threw in the towel, he is calling for a new election.

https://abc11.com/mark-harris-after-...ction/5148554/

Last edited by Bijou Drains; 02-21-2019 at 02:04 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:25 PM

Bank robber to the police: "Okay, you've caught me red-handed. Whaddya say you let me go and we try again tomorrow?"
Old 02-21-2019, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
Harris threw in the towel, he is calling for a new election.

https://abc11.com/mark-harris-after-...ction/5148554/
He did so, if I'm reading it correctly, after the board rebuked him for prevaricating about the communication between his son and himself:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaPo
Harris’s testimony followed the dramatic opening moments of Thursday’s hearings, in which Josh Lawson, general counsel for the State Board of Elections, disclosed a letter rebuking Harris's campaign lawyers for failing to turn over the emails between Harris and his son until 15 minutes before John Harris appeared Wednesday.
Why, he claims, didn't he believe his son?
Quote:
Harris said he didn’t follow his son’s advice in part because John Harris was just 27 years old at the time and added that the younger Harris is “a little judgmental and has a little taste of arrogance and some other things. And I’m very proud of him and love him with all my heart.”
Man, fuck that dude. "I hired a cheat who my son told me was a cheat because he's judgy."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Harris's Website
Mark is a supporter of our traditional family values. He led the charge for the marriage amendment in 2012 that defined marriage between one man and one woman. He also opposed Charlotte’s dangerous transgender bathroom ordinance that would allow men to use women’s public bathrooms and showers and women to use men’s bathrooms based on how they identified at that time.
"Also, he's arrogant, and I'm a lot older, so I know way better than an arrogant twerp like him, even though he was totally right and I was totally wrong, but I'm still gonna call him arrogant in a public hearing."

FUUUCK THAAAAT DUUUUUDE
Old 02-21-2019, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
Bank robber to the police: "Okay, you've caught me red-handed. Whaddya say you let me go and we try again tomorrow?"
I'm seriously wondering if that's what's going to happen.

From what I can tell, if there is a new election, Harris will have to stay as the GOP candidate, they can't pick a new one.

And judging by Harris' son's testimony and accompanying documentation, Harris had been warned that Dowless was shady and he hired him anyway. That's ... not a good look.

If there is a new election and McCready wins, then problem solved, at least as far as representation for that district is concerned. But what if Harris were to win the new election? Would the House still refuse to seat him, seeing as how everyone now knows that Harris was aware there could very well be a good amount of cheatin' and lyin' happening on his behalf and that he hasn't been exactly forthcoming about it?
Old 02-21-2019, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

New election declared.

story

Last edited by Left Hand of Dorkness; 02-21-2019 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:22 PM

I would think the state GOP would try to get Harris not to run again and it seems like he is saying health issues will cause him not to run. Also there will be others running against him in the primary so he may not win that.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:53 PM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

OK, so there will be a primary. There was - way back when - some concern about whether to force Harris on the ballot as last year's primary winner. But it seems he's conceded his political career is over with.

Yow, gonna be a tense Thanksgiving next year at the Harris place.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:11 PM

Dunno. If I were utterly unscrupulous and corrupt, I would advise the GOP to run him on the "Fake News!" banner, lying their asses off about "persecution" and the "MSM". He might very well win!
Old 02-21-2019, 04:19 PM

also the 3rd district NC congressman just died so there will be a primary and special election for that seat. Might be simpler to hold the 2 elections on the same day.
Old 02-21-2019, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

This really pisses me off. Republicans spent years passing voter ID laws, on the theory that they were necessary to end a phantom wave of voting by illegal aliens. They reduced the number of early voting locations and days and same-day registration. In 2016, North Carolina restricted voting in ways that were targeted at reducing voting by African-Americans. (These restrictions in North Carolina were overturned by the courts.)

And now we find that perhaps the biggest voting fraud was being conducted to benefit a Republican candidate from North Carolina.
Old 02-21-2019, 06:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
OK, so there will be a primary. There was - way back when - some concern about whether to force Harris on the ballot as last year's primary winner. But it seems he's conceded his political career is over with.

Yeah, I just heard on the local news that there will likely be a new primary.

Harris is now claiming he's experienced two strokes that have affected his decision-making abilities. Hm.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
And now we find that perhaps the biggest voting fraud was being conducted to benefit a Republican candidate from North Carolina.
The surprise in North Carolina isn't that an insanely corrupt political system is set up to benefit a conservative candidate (and make no mistake, the system used to benefit Democrats, back when Democrats were conservatives). The surprise is that they got caught and investigated.

The whole thing is outrageous, but the corruption is old school.

Quote:
According to my wife--even more unhealthily obsessed with politics than myself--Harris, Jr. is a rightwing attorney who's planning to make a move for State Supreme Court judge in 2020, and threw his dad under the bus in order to save his own political career.

Tense Thanksgiving indeed.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
According to my wife--even more unhealthily obsessed with politics than myself--Harris, Jr. is a rightwing attorney who's planning to make a move for State Supreme Court judge in 2020, and threw his dad under the bus in order to save his own political career.
One wonders how successful that's likely to be considering how the state has been heading judge-wise lately.

Some folks will appreciate his coming forward regardless of the motive. Others won't find throwing family members under the bus particularly attractive.

I guess time will tell.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:32 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:

Tense Thanksgiving indeed.
Forgot what thread I was in for a minute, and thought this was about Kamala Harris's dad complaining about her joking about pot.

Made this a really weird post to parse.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
Forgot what thread I was in for a minute, and thought this was about Kamala Harris's dad complaining about her joking about pot.

Made this a really weird post to parse.
Heh--I saw the other thread title, and thought, "Is Harris's daughter also throwing him under the bus?"
Old 02-21-2019, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romansperson View Post
...Others won't find throwing family members under the bus particularly attractive...
Only their own, or are they available for hire?
Old 02-22-2019, 05:12 AM

Quote:

Harris is now claiming he's experienced two strokes that have affected his decision-making abilities. Hm.
Yeah, and can even cause one to misspeak under oath. Boy howdy, that sounds almost
illegal. Talk about a close one! Whew.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...221-story.html
Old 02-22-2019, 06:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
Only their own, or are they available for hire?
You can hire them to fake throwing you under the bus.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

I wonder what effect this admission will have on his chances of election?
Old 02-22-2019, 06:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Then it's a really good thing he isn't in Congress!

Not that I believe him, of course.

ETA: But if one believes him, then one would have to believe he shouldn't run in the special election/do-over, whatever it's called.

Last edited by RTFirefly; 02-22-2019 at 06:54 AM.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
This really pisses me off. Republicans spent years passing voter ID laws, on the theory that they were necessary to end a phantom wave of voting by illegal aliens. They reduced the number of early voting locations and days and same-day registration. In 2016, North Carolina restricted voting in ways that were targeted at reducing voting by African-Americans. (These restrictions in North Carolina were overturned by the courts.)

Shocking that the party screaming about voter fraud is the one that is actually committing it! Republicans are horrible.
Old 02-22-2019, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Perhaps, if we are fortunate, a kindly court will defuse that tension by arranging for the elder Harris to be elsewhere.
Old 02-22-2019, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

So, this is big.
Quote:
Originally Posted by News and Observer
A judge has just thrown out two amendments to the North Carolina Constitution that voters approved in November.

One of the amendments was to implement a voter ID requirement, and the other was a cap on the state income tax rate.
But his rationale is bigger:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wake County Superior Court Judge G. Bryan Collins
An illegally constituted General Assembly does not represent the people of North Carolina and is therefore not empowered to pass legislation that would amend the state’s constitution.
Basically, our gerrymandering is so jacked that our entire legislature is illegitimate.

Has this happened in any state legislature since the end of the Civil War?

This seems HUGE to me. I honestly don't expect it to stand, but I really hope it does.
Old 02-22-2019, 05:39 PM

Harris's son is a federal prosecutor. But Dad just thought he was exaggerating.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
So, this is big.

Quote:
An illegally constituted General Assembly does not represent the people of North Carolina and is therefore not empowered to pass legislation that would amend the state’s constitution.
But his rationale is bigger:
Quote:
Basically, our gerrymandering is so jacked that our entire legislature is illegitimate.

Has this happened in any state legislature since the end of the Civil War?

This seems HUGE to me. I honestly don't expect it to stand, but I really hope it does.
Yowza!
Old 02-22-2019, 09:10 PM

I have heard it argued that if gerrymandering is legal, then the legislature is legal, and their legislation is legit. Hence, they are legally entitled to pass laws to screw their political opposition.

It is a voice noticeably absent in this discussion.

(Completely irrelevant aside: I speak of Bricker, of course, who appears not to have posted since November last. I hope he is well, and if anyone knows, I hope they will tell us.)
Old 02-22-2019, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Obviously, this is going to be appealed. What I'm wondering is whether this is a matter for the federal Supreme Court, or is the state Supreme Court the ultimate authority?
Old 02-23-2019, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Obviously, this is going to be appealed. What I'm wondering is whether this is a matter for the federal Supreme Court, or is the state Supreme Court the ultimate authority?
That's a REALLY interesting question. I'd been assuming it'd get overturned at the federal level, but for all I know it's purely a state issue. And if so, our state supreme court is not happy with the legislature.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguy123 View Post
Shocking that the party screaming about voter fraud is the one that is actually committing it!
That's how they know voter fraud is rampant.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:16 PM

something I haven't heard the answer to in the NC news..."Will a new election be held for every position on the original ballot, or just for US Rep?. Testimony included statements that the absentee ballot collectors filled in blanks for Republicans if the ballot owner had skipped races. I suppose each county had their own races for country offices on the same ballot as the US Rep race...so.....which races are being rerun?"\
Old 02-24-2019, 05:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crucible View Post
something I haven't heard the answer to in the NC news..."Will a new election be held for every position on the original ballot, or just for US Rep?. Testimony included statements that the absentee ballot collectors filled in blanks for Republicans if the ballot owner had skipped races. I suppose each county had their own races for country offices on the same ballot as the US Rep race...so.....which races are being rerun?"\
I'm pretty sure it's just for the rep race. Everything else, I think, got certified.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:19 PM

as expected Harris is not running again , he endorsed another guy

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/po...226814399.html
Old 02-26-2019, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote from the tweaker he endorsed:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushing
Dan McCready and his establishment friends just threw ALL of our ballots in the Trash! What are We Going to Do About IT?
...right. Because Harris hired a convicted felon who committed mass voter fraud, McCready is at fault. This guy sounds like a winner.

But not as much of a winner as Mitch fuckin McConnell:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Fuckin McConnell
Anyone who’s been attentive to the news these past few days has learned about the complete debacle that unfolded in last November’s election for North Carolina’s 9th Congressional District . . . Soon after Election Day, allegations of illegal ballot harvesting and vote tampering clouded a close result. . . .

for years and years, every Republican who dared to call for common-sense safeguards for Americans’ ballots was demonized by Democrats and their allies. We were hit with left-wing talking points insisting that voter fraud wasn’t real. Never happens, they said. That fraud just didn’t happen. That modest efforts to ensure that voters are who they say they are and are voting in a proper place were really some sinister right-wing plot to prevent people from voting.
So now as you might expect, now that an incident of very real voter fraud has become national news and the Republican candidate seems — seems — to have benefited, these long-standing Democratic talking points have been really quiet. Haven’t heard much lately from Democrats about how fraud never happens. They’ve gone silent.
So now as you might expect, now that an incident of very real voter fraud has become national news and the Republican candidate seems — seems — to have benefited, these long-standing Democratic talking points have been really quiet. Haven’t heard much lately from Democrats about how fraud never happens. They’ve gone silent.
FUUUCK THAT DUUUUDE
Old 02-26-2019, 02:38 PM

amazing how people can have their group commit fraud and then blame it on the other side.

this is an example of DARVO - deny, attack ,reverse victim and offender.

https://dynamic.uoregon.edu/jjf/defineDARVO.html
Old 02-26-2019, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

The quote from Mitch McConnell is hilarious. It's almost as if he's saying; we know there's voter fraud going on, because we're doing it. And if we are, so are they.

And by the way, the kinds of obstructions the Republicans are proposing (requiring voters to show ID when voting in person and reducing the number of days when polling places are open for advance voting) would have done nothing to prevent election fraud that involved cheating on mail-in ballots.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:45 PM

What Harris et al. did is already against the law. Why make new laws when simply enforcing the ones on the books already should be good enough? Which proposed voter ID law would have prevented this from occurring?

Impressive how McTurtle finally pokes his head out of his shell long enough to remind anyone with firing neurons how much of a partisan toad he really is.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:48 PM

or it's like he is saying "We only robbed that bank because the Democrats put money in it and did not have enough guards!"
Old 02-26-2019, 03:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
or it's like he is saying "We only robbed that bank because the Democrats put money in it and did not have enough guards!"
It's worth reading the article I pulled that quote from. The author's analogy is, "We've been saying for years that houses are getting robbed, so you should have to show your birth certificate when you buy a crowbar. Now someone has used a master key to unlock a bunch of houses and rob them, and suddenly you see that we're right!"

The author left out the fact that his party hired the master-key thief in the first place.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

Mark Harris, citing reasons of health, has announced that he isn't running in the do-over election. Instead, he is endorsing Union County commissioner and Boss Hogg cosplayer Stony Rushing in the GOP primary.

Last edited by Steve MB; 02-26-2019 at 08:00 PM.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:32 AM

Stony Rushing? C'mon, you're making that up!
Old 02-27-2019, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
Stony Rushing? C'mon, you're making that up!
Both the name and the deliberate Boss Hogg dress-up are real. Jesus, what is wrong with Republicans these days.
Old 02-27-2019, 11:07 AM

Fraud ringleader was arrested and charged with felonies

https://www.wral.com/central-figure-...cted/18222776/
Old 02-27-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve MB View Post
Mark Harris, citing reasons of health, has announced that he isn't running in the do-over election. Instead, he is endorsing Union County commissioner and Boss Hogg cosplayer Stony Rushing in the GOP primary.
And here I thought you were kidding about the "Boss Hogg cosplayer" business.

Muthah of Gawd.

"Oooh, them Dukes! Them Dukes!"
Old 02-27-2019, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMurdock View Post
And here I thought you were kidding about the "Boss Hogg cosplayer" business.

Muthah of Gawd.

I know, right? Like, this guy can't possibly be a serious candidate, right? He's got to be satire of Republicans. Nobody would literally dress up as the bumbling asshole bad guy from a racist 1970s comedy, as part of his political campaign. That's like running for office dressed as the Joker, only dumber, because again, Boss Hogg was an idiot.

Not only is this guy running, he has the endorsement of the previous Republican candidate for the district. Remember, that previous guy was the guy who hired a convicted felon to run an illegal election-fraud operation.

There's no goddamn way this guy can win, is what I would have said in 2016.
Old 02-28-2019, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMurdock View Post

The news article linked by Bijou drains just above your post was co-written by a guy named Dukes...

Coïncidence. I think not!