Old 04-07-2019, 10:29 PM

Trump's hiring record going all the way back to the beginning of his campaign is utterly abysmal. He's demonstrated terrible judgement over and over again. How do his supporters spin that fact?
Apart from politics and daddy's family business, there aren't too many industries that could withstand such an astounding level of incompetence at the top.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
Yes.

I wonder which right-wing think tank or major corporation will reward her for all that with a cushy job?
Really, if it's a right-wing think tank, I'll view it as a success. She could end up getting some kind of fellowship at a prestigious university.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Trump's going to keep firing random White House personnel until he figures out who's causing all the problems his administration is experiencing. Trump knows that somebody, who must be a central figure in the Trump administration, is the source of all these problems. But who?
Damn that Clinton woman! Will her tyranny never end?
Old 04-08-2019, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmwgreen View Post
FWIW, this story seems logical to me.

DHS Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen resigns after clashes with Trump on immigration

Miller is one of the few staffers that aren't disappointed or demoralized.
That's because Miller doesn't have to do anything. He's a spiritual advisor, which is easier than being someone who has to make decisions that invite public scrutiny.

Nielsen, on the other hand, met the same fate as her mentor, Kelly. Bent over backwards to appease the gruppenfuhrer only to realize that building concentration camps just wasn't good enough to save her job. Now watch as she goes on the talk show circuit to try to rehabilitate her image.

Last edited by asahi; 04-08-2019 at 05:15 AM.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
Trump's hiring record going all the way back to the beginning of his campaign is utterly abysmal. He's demonstrated terrible judgement over and over again. How do his supporters spin that fact?
Apart from politics and daddy's family business, there aren't too many industries that could withstand such an astounding level of incompetence at the top.
They simply don't care. They don't measure success the way we do. As long as the economy's good, they figure he can fire as many people as he wants. And that's especially true as long as he's fighting for more God, more guns, and fewer brown people in the country.

Last edited by asahi; 04-08-2019 at 05:20 AM.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
They simply don't care. They don't measure success the way we do. As long as the economy's good, they figure he can fire as many people as he wants. And that's especially true as long as he's fighting for more God, more guns, and fewer brown people in the country.

And if the economy turns it will be Democrats fault so I don’t think that’s a particularly relevant measure either. My family supports Trump and they will continue to do so regardless of what he does.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:53 AM

little more than half way through his 4 years he has changed 7 of 15 cabinet secretaries. On pace to have nobody original left in 2 years.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

There's one part of this whole story that just doesn't add up.

According to the official line, Nielsen quit after having a meeting with Trump at 5pm on Sunday. There is literally nothing you can say to me to make me believe that Trump was doing work at 5pm on a Sunday. I do see that he played golf yesterday until roughly 4pm, so I guess the timeline makes it TECHNICALLY feasible, but it is still unbelievable.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:36 PM

CNN is reporting that Nielsen's firing was just the start of a wholesale purge of pretty much the entire DHS leadership at the direction of Stephen Miller. If Trump bothers to nominate permanent appointees for these positions it should lead to some interesting confirmation hearings.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
And if the economy turns it will be Democrats fault so I donít think thatís a particularly relevant measure either. My family supports Trump and they will continue to do so regardless of what he does.
Maybe, or maybe not. I think the economy is where Republicans are always vulnerable, particularly if the recession is deep.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:08 PM

Prices are being cut to the bone!! Everybody at DHS must go! Nobody held back.
Old 04-08-2019, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Feldon View Post
Really, if it's a right-wing think tank, I'll view it as a success. She could end up getting some kind of fellowship at a prestigious university.
Or, if that happens, "formerly prestigious university" might be more accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambrosio Spinola View Post
CNN is reporting that Nielsen's firing was just the start of a wholesale purge of pretty much the entire DHS leadership at the direction of Stephen Miller. ...
These firings are bringing the sort of attention to Stephen Miller that have gotten a lot of Trump's employees fired. Donald does NOT like to see his people getting headlines such as:

Quote:
The Stephen Miller Presidency
The more politically frustrated Trump becomes, the more he embraces his most extreme adviser. Brace yourself, America.
By ALEX SHEPHARD
April 8, 2019
https://newrepublic.com/article/1535...ler-presidency

Ask Steve Bannon, who also got a lot of 'the real brains behind Trump'-style coverage....just before Trump gave him the boot.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:11 PM

Trump doesn't like those sorts of headlines when the text of the article amounts to, "Trump is a baby and the adult is controlling things to make things better."

In Miller's case, that's not the message. The message is that Trump's personal favorites are finally getting in position to do what they want, free of senate appointees.

Of course, as usual, CNN is botching the message. It should just be, "Lookie the stupids! Bwahah!"
Old 04-08-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
Trump doesn't like those sorts of headlines when the text of the article amounts to, "Trump is a baby and the adult is controlling things to make things better."

In Miller's case, that's not the message. The message is that Trump's personal favorites are finally getting in position to do what they want, free of senate appointees.
I suppose, but "The Stephen Miller Presidency" is not going to thrill Trump. He may recognize it as an attempt to goad him, of course. (Or he may not.)

Others, sensing the potential danger Miller may now be in, are offering information on Miller. This tweet has a screen cap of a page from the article linked:

Quote:
Julia Ioffe
‏Verified account
@juliaioffe
When I profiled Stephen Miller back in 2016, a person who used to work with him asked for anonymity because “He’s going to find out that I spoke with you and I’m going to end up in a camp somewhere.”

[2nd tweet:]
Here’s the profile, and the full quote. https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...essions-213992
12:14 PM - 8 Apr 2019
https://twitter.com/juliaioffe/statu...32091493998592

If Miller stays in the headlines for a while, and the volume of headlines is heavy enough, Trump won't be happy---even if the coverage IS slanted as 'getting free rein to carry out policies' rather than as 'this is the person actually running the White House' and such.

Last edited by Sherrerd; 04-08-2019 at 05:21 PM.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

I hear Joe Goebbels is looking for work.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Fake news!
Deep State!
Hilary's emails!
Herp Derp!

That's about it.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:14 PM

Quote:
They no longer have to. They've completely adopted "whatever makes the liberals mad" definition of "good".
Old 04-09-2019, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
Nielsen, on the other hand, met the same fate as her mentor, Kelly. Bent over backwards to appease the gruppenfuhrer only to realize that building concentration camps just wasn't good enough to save her job.
This. She was evil, but not evil enough for Trump and his own personal Martin Bormann equivalent, Stephen Miller.