Old 02-11-2019, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

2019 Chicago Mayoral Election

I received my ballot on Saturday and still have no idea who to vote for. I enthusiastically voted for Rahm last time, but this election features so many candidates. There’s no doubt they’ll be a run off as the first election is basically serving as a primary.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_C...yoral_election
Old 02-11-2019, 05:23 PM

Mayor of Chicago has got to rival Governor of Illinois for the title of most thankless job in the country. "Come be the mayor of a city that's careening towards bankruptcy and notorious for sky-high crime, corruption, and racial strife. Taxes are already too high and people with money are fleeing for greener pastures. And you'll surely be blamed for anything that goes wrong during the next four years." I'm surprised anyone's running.

Last edited by ITR champion; 02-11-2019 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITR champion View Post
Mayor of Chicago has got to rival Governor of Illinois for the title of most thankless job in the country. "Come be the mayor of a city that's careening towards bankruptcy and notorious for sky-high crime, corruption, and racial strife. Taxes are already too high and people with money are fleeing for greener pastures. And you'll surely be blamed for anything that goes wrong during the next four years." I'm surprised anyone's running.

Are you a Chicagoan? Got any non-right wing cites?
Old 02-11-2019, 10:45 PM

Want to know what's wrong with Chicago? Ask anyone who doesn't live there, and they'll eagerly tell you.
*Yawn*
Anyway, I already voted for Paul Vallas. He is the only one who has released a genuinely realistic plan to deal with the pension crisis (https://capitolfax.com/2019/01/18/rn...em-manageable/), he doesn't pander for votes, and he has never been ethically compromised or caught up in scandals. I was also inclined towards Lori Lightfoot, but I mailed in my ballot before the Sun-Times endorsement and assumed Vallas was more likely to make the runoff. Now it seems Lightfoot has a real shot, though I am satisfied with my vote for Vallas.
In the runoff I will vote for literally anyone who makes it on to the ballot against Preckwinkle.

Last edited by pjacks; 02-11-2019 at 10:46 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:14 AM
Charter Member

As of now, I’m leaning Daley, but anyone but Preckwinkle. Her sales tax flip flop along with ramming through the soda tax makes her a definite No with me.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:27 AM

Good Lord, that's a lot of candidates. Am I the only one wondering what's going on with Robert Fioretti's hair?

As a non-Chicagoan, let me ask the locals: what are the hot topics this election?
Old 02-12-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
Good Lord, that's a lot of candidates. Am I the only one wondering what's going on with Robert Fioretti's hair?

As a non-Chicagoan, let me ask the locals: what are the hot topics this election?
Actually, city council corruption seems to be the issue that is dominating the election. Long-time alderman Ed Burke is under investigation by the FBI and had his offices raided recently, TWICE. Turns out another longtime alderman, Daniel Solis, has been moonlighting as an FBI informant for the past few years and wearing a wire, and that's how Burke got in trouble. He was trying to shake down Burger King for a campaign donation in exchange for allowing a new drive-through. A lot of other aldermen also seem to be worried that Solis may have ratted on them too, and on top of that there are also the usual low-level bizarre ethical lapses among alderman... like Proco Joe Moreno filing a false police report saying his car was stolen, causing his mistress to get arrested driving the car he lent her, which she proved he gave her by sharing their steamy text messages with the media.

Anyway, obviously all the candidates have some connection with the various aldercreatures on the city council, and that has put a wrench in everyone's campaigns. Preckwinkle hired Burke's son for a 100k-per-year job for which he was not qualifed for and he never showed up to work anyway. Everyone is compromised by campaign donations, especially Susana Mendoza, who is returning donations and cancelling fundraisers weekly (She is also Moreno's ex-girfriend, awkward). The incestual side of Chicago politics, where everyone is connected and deals are being made in shadows constantly has been on display for the past few months, and most people are sickened by it. Now even the mayoral candidates are falling over themselves attacking the city council, while floating ideas like shrinking it down from 50 to 15, and eliminating the aldermanic veto over zoning and development (about damn time). It seems now that almost all the candidates support that kind of reform, except for Preckwinkle who knows her power comes from her aldermanic endorsements.

As a result of this mess, "Undecided" is leading in the polls, and following way behind there is a 4-6 way statistical tie for 2nd place, with most candidates getting 12-8% support. It's a shitshow. Preckwinkle, however, is practically guaranteed a spot in the runoff, as the unions and aldermen will get out the vote for her. It basically has been a fight for 2nd place. For the longest time it was thought Susana Mendoza would make it in and handily beat Preckwinkle, but she has been badly damaged by the city council stuff. It's a shame, because she was my favorite of the machine candidates. But who knows- literally anyone can make it into the runoff with the field this divided and with the Sun-Times making such a surprise endorsement of Lori Lightfoot. My guess is the Trib endorses Vallas, though Chico or Mendoza wouldn't surprise me either.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
As of now, Iím leaning Daley, but anyone but Preckwinkle. Her sales tax flip flop along with ramming through the soda tax makes her a definite No with me.
As someone who seems to care about fiscal policy, why on earth would you vote for someone who pushed his brother hard to ram through the disasterous parking meter sell-off, and who still supports the deal to this day?

Is '42 the year you were born?
Old 02-12-2019, 10:22 AM

I still don't have a clue who I'm voting for. I'm leaning towards Lightfoot, but I really haven't done enough research yet. Definitely no to Daley or Preckwinkle. I also don't know who to vote for Alderman since Pewar had to go and make up some stupid term limit rule.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:47 AM

https://interactive.wbez.org/2019/ma...questionnaire/

This resource seems to have been helpful to a lot of voters this past few weeks. Of course, everyone who is running is basically a democrat, so it's like choosing between different flavors of vanilla. Do you want to try the 4 brands of machine vanilla bean, or go with the more reform-flavored french vanilla options? Beware, as some of those have traces of moonbattery and/or nuttiness.

As an aside, just like every other Chicago kid in the 90s I had Paul Vallas' name on my school lunch card, so he was actually the first politician that I've ever heard of. I knew who he was even before I knew who Mayor Daley or the president was. It felt kind of weirdly sentimental voting for him all these years later.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjacks View Post
Want to know what's wrong with Chicago? Ask anyone who doesn't live there, and they'll eagerly tell you.
*Yawn*
Anyway, I already voted for Paul Vallas. He is the only one who has released a genuinely realistic plan to deal with the pension crisis (https://capitolfax.com/2019/01/18/rn...em-manageable/), he doesn't pander for votes, and he has never been ethically compromised or caught up in scandals. I was also inclined towards Lori Lightfoot, but I mailed in my ballot before the Sun-Times endorsement and assumed Vallas was more likely to make the runoff. Now it seems Lightfoot has a real shot, though I am satisfied with my vote for Vallas.
In the runoff I will vote for literally anyone who makes it on to the ballot against Preckwinkle.
Preckwinkle is a sad case. In her City Council days, she was a legitimate progressive and reformer. The Tribune gave her a rousing endorsement for Cook County board president in 2010:
Quote:
You may not agree with every call Toni Preckwinkle would make as president of the Cook County Board. But we're confident she wouldn't embarrass you or the 5 million-plus citizens who deserve better services, from fewer payrollers, at lower cost.
Nowadays, she's arguably even more of a corrupt Machine politico-creature than Daley is. Good buddies with such slimeballs as Joe Berrios and Ed Burke. If the runoff is between Preckwinkle and Daley, then God help this city, because that's an absolutely awful choice.

Personally, I'm still torn between Lightfoot and Vallas. Received my ballot but I'm waiting for the Trib to endorse so I can take that into consideration. I'd be happy with either of them, honestly, but the way the runoff works I have to be tactical with my choice.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
As someone who seems to care about fiscal policy, why on earth would you vote for someone who pushed his brother hard to ram through the disasterous parking meter sell-off, and who still supports the deal to this day?

Is '42 the year you were born?

Nope, I was born far after 1942, not even sure how I picked my user name, it goes back to something I used to use either on AOL or one of the other old dial up services.

I’m still undecided now, Preckwinkle must be stopped, she’s got the Chicago Teachers Union endorsement so I’m pretty sure she’ll make it to the run off. Maybe I’m not watching as much news as I did back in 2015, but I just don’t see the type of coverage of this race that I did then. I guess Trump and national politics has sucked all the air out of the room. I probably see more signs for Tom Tunney for alderman than I do for mayoral candidates.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Are you a Chicagoan?
I live in the suburbs on the Indiana side. As for cites, I'm not sure why you would ask since nothing I said is controversial. City finances and debt, crime rates, and outflow of people can all be verified from any decent source. As for corruption, see post by pjacks above.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:16 PM

I'm a big fan of Ballotpedia's election breakdowns - they often have useful summaries of who is who, and who is funding them. Here's their Chicago 2019 page.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:34 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Maybe Iím not watching as much news as I did back in 2015, but I just donít see the type of coverage of this race that I did then. I guess Trump and national politics has sucked all the air out of the room. I probably see more signs for Tom Tunney for alderman than I do for mayoral candidates.
There is, in fact, quite a lot of advertising for the better-funded candidates (primarily Daley, Chico, Preckwinkle, and Mendoza) on the local TV stations, especially during the news.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorgHunter View Post
the way the runoff works I have to be tactical with my choice.
We need to push for ranked choice voting. The fact that the mayoral race is going to come down to two people who will get maybe 15% of the vote each in first vote is ridiculous.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
We need to push for ranked choice voting. The fact that the mayoral race is going to come down to two people who will get maybe 15% of the vote each in first vote is ridiculous.
Lori Lightfoot, btw, is the only candidate that supports ranked choice voting, for what it's worth.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

I’d strongly support ranked choice voting, and I realize that might work against me at times. I was very pro-Rahm last election but I know plenty of people who were anyone but Rahm.

This election, I’m anyone but Preckwinkle.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:02 PM

Trib endorses Daley.

Son of the Boss. Brother of the Boss. Long live the new Boss.

Such a sad joke.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Trib endorses Daley.

Such a sad joke.

Daley is still 1000 times better than Preckwinkle. Looks like my decision has been made.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Trib endorses Daley.

Such a sad joke.
Lightfoot it is, then. And to hell with the Tribune and their push for more status quo while pretending that Yet Another Daley is some kind of bold, visionary approach for the city. I'm already represented by a Daley in the City Council, and on the County Commission. How many fucking Daleys do we need running this city?
Old 02-13-2019, 02:29 PM

I guess it's good that I'm probably moving to the burbs next year.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:34 PM

Thanks for the information. I think I'm leaning towards Amara Enyia, although her credentials are a little unclear. Enterpreneur, consultant, author; these could all represent impressive achievements or be code for "perpetually unemployed". but I see she has raised over $600,000, so I'm assuming she's a fairly serious person.

I'd also be fairly happy with Lightfoot, Mendoza or Preckwinkle. Hell No to Daley III.

I'm really hoping we in the 40th Ward rid ourselves of notoriously corrupt machine alderman O'Connor. We have four good strong progressives on the ballot. I have my favorite but will be happy to support any of them in a runoff.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
*Yawn*
I ended up voting Vallas, as well, with Lightfoot my second choice. It really was almost a coin flip when I early voted on Monday. But I expect it to end up Preckwinkle v Daley in the end, and I don't know what I'll do there. An online quiz on the issues, though, had Preckwinkle closest to my positions and Daley farthest, which was unexpected. I don't particularly mind Preckwinke as much as everyone else seems to, though.

More interestingly, I'm in the 14th, Ed Burke's ward. I won't be surprised if he wins it outright. It'll be close, but I could see him taking around 53-55% of the vote and avoid a runoff. The most qualified opposition candidate, Jaime Guzman, unfortunately doesn't have the bankroll Chuy's candidate Tanya PatiŮo does. The results will be interesting.

Last edited by pulykamell; 02-14-2019 at 04:10 PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

Crain’s Chicago Business has just endorsed Daley as well.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:33 AM

The candidates will be interviewed on WTTW's Chicago Tonight today and on Monday, in case anyone is interested in.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

I have no connection with Chicago other than having friends there. But I do have a rooting interest, as an aviation enthusiast: Vote for Willie Wilson, and rebuild Meigs Field.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
I have no connection with Chicago other than having friends there. But I do have a rooting interest, as an aviation enthusiast: Vote for Willie Wilson, and rebuild Meigs Field.
You know he voted for Trump?
Old 02-21-2019, 01:23 PM

Only poll I can find, from last week:

So Preckwinkle, Daley, Mendoza, Lightfoot, Chico and (marginally) Enyia seem to be contending for the Finals. Lot of low cards in that hand. I'm probably going with Lightfoot.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thing Fish View Post
Thanks for the information. I think I'm leaning towards Amara Enyia, although her credentials are a little unclear. Enterpreneur, consultant, author; these could all represent impressive achievements or be code for "perpetually unemployed". but I see she has raised over $600,000, so I'm assuming she's a fairly serious person.

I'd also be fairly happy with Lightfoot, Mendoza or Preckwinkle. Hell No to Daley III.

I'm really hoping we in the 40th Ward rid ourselves of notoriously corrupt machine alderman O'Connor. We have four good strong progressives on the ballot. I have my favorite but will be happy to support any of them in a runoff.
Apparently a great deal of that was from Kanye West. Presumption of seriousity revoked.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:47 AM

Chicago Mayoral Election. Are We Really this Hungry for Scandal?

While surfing the news, I came across this:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politi...?ocid=iehp%20-

Really? He had to apologize for merely referring to Nazis in a less than solemn fashion?
He dared to Godwin without official sanction? Really? That's cause for public ostracism
now?

I guess there will be no more Hogan's Heroes on MeTV then.

Last edited by Two Many Cats; 02-22-2019 at 08:49 AM.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:08 AM

Every campaign is going to pounce on anything they can milk for a bit of outrage, which translates to free publicity. You're sharing this article, are you not?

The Nazi thing is just a dumb political joke in bad taste (a dime a dozen on Twitter and Facebook) and isn't worth anyone clutching their pearls over, but it just shows how nervous the Preckwinkle people are of Lightfoot. Toni's goon who got in a screaming match with Lori a few days ago and criticized her for being Trump-like (LOL) is another example.

Preckwinkle just has her union base and a bunch of aldermanic endorsements. She's not unstoppable- her personality is an empty void, she sits in the center of a web of city corruption, and she's never had to face a competitive race before. Lori Lightfoot can beat her in the runoff if she makes it there, and they know it.

I voted for Vallas already but Lightfoot was my 2nd choice. Lori is picking up a lot of steam during this last stretch though, and I hope she secures a spot in the runoff.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

We already have a mayoral thread, I’m going to ask a mod to merge this, I just saw the Tribune breaking news.

And, yeah outside of the unions, I know no one who likes Preckwinkle but she’ll still make the run off and perhaps win. It’s going to be damn hard for a lot of people I know to vote Daley and they might just sit out such a Daley-Preckwinkle run off.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:19 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

The Moderator Speaks

Fair enough. Threads merged.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
We already have a mayoral thread, I’m going to ask a mod to merge this, I just saw the Tribune breaking news.

And, yeah outside of the unions, I know no one who likes Preckwinkle but she’ll still make the run off and perhaps win. It’s going to be damn hard for a lot of people I know to vote Daley and they might just sit out such a Daley-Preckwinkle run off.
I hate Daley with a passion. I think the parking meter and Skyway sell-offs are unforgivable, both of which Bill had a hand in. He was a complete failure as Obama's chief of staff and US Commerce Secretary, and by all accounts he's the dimwitted George W. of the Daly clan.

But if it's Daly v Preckwinkle in April, I will gladly vote for the former. Insert lesser of 2 evils cliche here. Daly would be a 70-year-old freshman mayor (!!) and would just be a placeholder who at least keeps development on pace and keeps us afloat. Hopefully. He is old and will serve just 1 or 2 terms.

Preckwinkle otoh is fairly young and is pet of the CTU and city council. She could rule as a Boss for decades like the previous Dalys.

Last edited by pjacks; 02-22-2019 at 09:26 AM.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

I agree Daley is probably one term and I’m surprised he decided to run. It’s a job I certainly wouldn’t want, Rahm has had everything thrown at him and it’s a thankless job that really isn’t a steppingstone to anything, especially at Daley’s age.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:44 PM
Charter Member

Well, tomorrow is Election Day. Stunning new poll shows a 3 way tie among Preckwinkle, Daley, and Lightfoot. It would be so sweet to have a Daley/Lightfoot runoff, but I gotta think Preckwinkle’s union voters will turn out.

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2019/02...front-runners/
Old 02-25-2019, 10:46 PM

Lightfoot's meteoric rise has been amazing to see these last few weeks.

But with the margin of error in all the polls at +-3ish%, literally more than half of the candidates have a viable path to the runoff.

In a way we are lucky, as it's very rare for a single vote to have as much value as it does in this election. Once-in-a-lifetime mayoral race, for sure.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

CBS Chicago reporting that it’s on pace for record low turnout.

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2019/02...-mayoral-race/
Old 02-26-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
CBS Chicago reporting that itís on pace for record low turnout.

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2019/02...-mayoral-race/
Anecdotally, I haven't seen a single "I voted" wristband at the office today.
Old 02-26-2019, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
Anecdotally, I haven't seen a single "I voted" wristband at the office today.

I’ve voted by mail for every election since the 2012 general, my first election since I moved here in April 2012
Old 02-26-2019, 04:41 PM

They've only gotten half the mail-in ballots yet:

https://www.wbez.org/shows/wbez-news...b-39e2c670844e

Between this, the low turnout, and the number of candidates, we probably won't know who's going to the runoff for a while.

Last edited by enalzi; 02-26-2019 at 04:43 PM.
Old 02-26-2019, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
More interestingly, I'm in the 14th, Ed Burke's ward. I won't be surprised if he wins it outright. It'll be close, but I could see him taking around 53-55% of the vote and avoid a runoff. The most qualified opposition candidate, Jaime Guzman, unfortunately doesn't have the bankroll Chuy's candidate Tanya PatiŮo does. The results will be interesting.
Heh. So far, I'm right about this one. 55% for Burke with half the precincts reporting.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Heh. So far, I'm right about this one. 55% for Burke with half the precincts reporting.
Yeah, Burke will easily win reelection. The only way to get rid of him is prison or the grave.

HOWEVER, I do find it heartening that at this point with 75% of the vote that Lori Lightfoot is leading Preckwinkle by close to 7000 votes and ahead of Daley 10,000+. If this holds I expect the full court press to defame and slander Lightfoot will go in to full steam ASAP. Lightfoot vs Preckwinkle would be very interesting for several reasons.

I am giddy that it appears 49th Ward Alderman Joe Moore appears to be getting stomped. I've been waiting for this day to come for a while.

Also, happy to see Proco 'Joe' Moreno the 1st Ward Alderman looks to be going down as well. Good riddance to that crook.

I was glad to see Gery Chico's concession speech was positive with him encouraging people to support the person who ultimately wins the runoff.

Former Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy's concession was pretty much the opposite with him promising an endorsement in the next few days and warning that he hopes one of the 'good' people running will prevail since there are several 'bad' people in the race. I assume he thinks Lightfoot is one of the bad people; not sure what he thinks of Preckwinkle. I'm pretty sure Daley is one of his 'good' people.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

I didn't think Burke was a shoo-in. He could've been beaten if people just showed up to vote.

Anyhow, I am impressed by Lightfoot's results so far. I did not expect that.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:03 PM

Burke is old school Machine and knows how to get his voters to the polls, dead or alive. (only sorta joking.)

And I'm very much with you on how Lightfoot is doing. I thought she had a shot at ending up in the top two but I thought it would be to the detriment of Preckwinkle.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak of Twilo View Post
Burke is old school Machine and knows how to get his voters to the polls, dead or alive. (only sorta joking.)

I live in his ward, and I know how he is. I see him around. I'm respectful around him. But, yeah, he's old school machine, and they know how to get the people to the polls. And he does have a lot of supporters across ethnic lines. I actually don't actively dislike him. But he's not the future of this ward.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:16 PM

Quote:
I live in his ward, and I know how he is. I see him around. I'm respectful around him. But, yeah, he's old school machine, and they know how to get the people to the polls. And he does have a lot of supporters across ethnic lines. I actually don't actively dislike him. But he's not the future of this ward.
I knew you live in his ward so I understand. I met him and his wife on several occasions when I was managing a restaurant on Taylor St. I always had a positive impression of him as a person. Just like you said, he's not the future. Just like the Machine isn't the future of this city.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak of Twilo View Post
I knew you live in his ward so I understand. I met him and his wife on several occasions when I was managing a restaurant on Taylor St. I always had a positive impression of him as a person. Just like you said, he's not the future. Just like the Machine isn't the future of this city.
Anne is a wonderful person. It's a really weird position to be in. I understand where he come from. I understand the people who support him. He's done a lot for a lot of people, and they are entrusted to him. But, man, you're almost 75. Take a fucking vacation. Enjoy the rest of your life while you can. Have someone else run the ward.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:32 PM

Very well said.