Old 02-26-2019, 10:15 PM

BTW, watching the 10 o'clock news and the folks at Preckwinkle are vamping and filling on live TV because no one can find her to come to the podium. Apparently this has happened at other events, just not on live television. That doesn't bode to well for organization on the part of her campaign.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:16 PM

Well, I'm quite happy. Our next Mayor will be a massive improvement! Also, Rahm's Mini-Me, Patrick O'Connor, getting only a third of the vote. Good times.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thing Fish View Post
Well, I'm quite happy. Our next Mayor will be a massive improvement! Also, Rahm's Mini-Me, Patrick O'Connor, getting only a third of the vote. Good times.
Don't forget Joe Moore getting crushed; that one is making me do a happy dance.

Last edited by Kolak of Twilo; 02-26-2019 at 10:27 PM.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

I thought Rahm did a great job, I voted for Daley. I’ll be voting Lightfoot in the runoff.
Old 02-27-2019, 12:08 PM

I honestly feel completely undecided at this point, though I'm fairly happy with both candidates. This is...not a position I'm used to finding myself in.
Old 02-27-2019, 12:16 PM

Lori Lightfoot, walking in the footsteps of Harold Washington. Let there be light indeed.

Though this looks like it will be another North side vs South side election. Lori will get the Daley voters, Preckwinkle will get the Wilson voters. I think the Mendoza and Chico voters will go to Lori for the most part.

The differences in speeches last night was striking. Lori was beaming, enthusiastic and surrounded by her beautiful family. She was curteous and congratulated Preckwinkle. The audience was diverse, multiracial and young. The crowd was filled with families with small kids who care about the city's future.

OTOH Preckwinkle was late to her own event, and spent half the speech out of breath and already attacking Lori. Everyone just looked old, tired and mad. She really just has the CTU as her base, and all they care about is juicing the city for more cash. She won her own county district, but she couldn't even beat Wilson in the surrounding neighborhoods. Wilson!

I ordered my lawn sign and donated to Lori's campaign. She will need all the help she can get, because the tsunami of slime coming her way from Preckwinkle's goons will be massive.
Old 02-27-2019, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

I agree completely, Preckwinkle was hoping for a matchup with Daley, assuming she’d win with the unions and Lightfoot voters staying home in the runoff.

I damn well don’t want Preckwinkle there. I’m going to check my schedule and see if I can’t volunteer for the Lightfoot campaign.

Politics makes strange bedfellows, I have a feeling this might be the first time some of us Chicago dopers agree on a candidate.
Old 02-27-2019, 12:45 PM

I was watching WGN around 8 when it was becoming pretty obvious that it was going to be Lightfoot and Preckwinkle. They cut to the Preckwinkle event and it was quiet and somber. The reaction from the newscasters was "Do they realize she's going to the runoff?"
Old 02-27-2019, 02:20 PM

1. Surprised at such low turnout.

2. Looking from outside the city I think Preckwinkle has an advantage going into the runoff. Daly voters will split more for her Iím guessing.
Old 02-27-2019, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
I was watching WGN around 8 when it was becoming pretty obvious that it was going to be Lightfoot and Preckwinkle. They cut to the Preckwinkle event and it was quiet and somber. The reaction from the newscasters was "Do they realize she's going to the runoff?"

As I mentioned above, I think the Preckwinkle people were hoping for a very low turnout runoff against Daley where the ‘real progressives’ who voted Lightfoot would stay home and the unions would sweep Preckwinkle to victory.

Now, Preckwinkle is stuck with a coalition against her. People like me on the center left who voted Rahm and Daley but are 100% against Preckwinkle joining up with the engaged Lightfoot supporters.
Old 02-27-2019, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
2. Looking from outside the city I think Preckwinkle has an advantage going into the runoff. Daly voters will split more for her Iím guessing.
This runoff is a bit hard for me to read. My gut initially said Lightfoot has the advantage, as Preckwinkle got hammered over that soda tax fiasco from a few years ago, and Chicagoans don't really forgive and forget when they get pissed off. Lots of pissed off people still calling her "Taxwinkle." Whenever a Preckwinkle ad came up in my Facebook feed, the comments were almost universally negative, but I do understand that Facebook comments do tend to attract a certain type of person. That said, Lightfoot's ads did not seem to have much negative commentary.

But looking over the city-wide results, especially the South and West Sides, Preckwinkle definitely seems to have an advantage there, I think, depending on where Willie Wilson voters go. My initial prediction was Lori 55, Preckwinkle 45, but I don't know now. I still haven't talked to enough people to really get a feel, at least in my neighborhood. I know what my friends think, but they do tend to be from the more anti-Machine side of the Democratic aisle.

Once again, it'll be interesting.
Old 02-27-2019, 04:29 PM

You think turnout will pickup now that it s the final two?
Old 02-27-2019, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
You think turnout will pickup now that it s the final two?
I would think so. I'm guessing we'll hit high 30s, which, admittedly, doesn't sound all that great. It also helps that it's in April instead of February.
Old 02-27-2019, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak of Twilo View Post
Burke is old school Machine and knows how to get his voters to the polls, dead or alive. (only sorta joking.)
I'm looking through the precinct by precinct results and, basically, when the ward maps were redrawn (I think 2011, but enacted in 2015), he got a good section of Garfield Ridge, which used to be all (or almost all) 23rd ward. Looking at the voter turnouts there and the results, it's pretty clear to me this won the election for him and he would not have won outright under the old map.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:00 PM

It will be interesting to see who the losing candidates endorse. I heard on local radio that Willie Wilson has personally talked to both candidates, and scheduled meetings with both of them. I wonder what the others will do. Endorse Lightfoot/Preckwinkle/none of the above.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Anconia View Post
It will be interesting to see who the losing candidates endorse. I heard on local radio that Willie Wilson has personally talked to both candidates, and scheduled meetings with both of them. I wonder what the others will do. Endorse Lightfoot/Preckwinkle/none of the above.

Daley should sit it out, he’s 70 and done in politics. His endorsement would not be a good thing among the ‘real progressives’
Old 03-03-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
I don't see Wilson's followers being very comfortable voting for Lightfoot, considering she is openly gay. He is talking like it shouldn't be an issue but that is a pretty new position for him. Prior to this election he wasn't a support of the LGBTQ community. Not much of a surprise considering he is a Baptist minister in addition to being a successful businessman.
Old 03-06-2019, 01:25 AM

And the campaign ads have begun.

Lightfoot is running an upbeat, positive, "here is what we are going to accomplish" type of ad.

Toni Preckwinkle is running an ad that is just a hit job on Lightfoot that never mentions Preckwinkle unless you catch the small print at the end. Pure attack ad.

Toni is just showing how much she is a stooge for the Machine.

Last edited by Kolak of Twilo; 03-06-2019 at 01:26 AM.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:22 PM

First poll (no idea the quality) shows Lightfoot 58 - Preckwinkle 30:
https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/po...-chicago-2019/
Old 03-06-2019, 07:07 PM

Stand For Children Illinois is an organization that's pro charter schools and anti CTU. As much as I wish that Lightfoot lead was true, they definitely have a bias.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
And the campaign ads have begun.

Lightfoot is running an upbeat, positive, "here is what we are going to accomplish" type of ad.

Toni Preckwinkle is running an ad that is just a hit job on Lightfoot that never mentions Preckwinkle unless you catch the small print at the end. Pure attack ad.

Toni is just showing how much she is a stooge for the Machine.
Not in the city but had liked Preckwinkle. Canít vote for Lightfoot myself but that initial ugly attack ad from Preckwinkle definitely has me now rooting for Lightfot. Whose ad was pretty good.
Old 03-07-2019, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

FYI, vote by mail applications are now available. Requested mine last night and can’t wait to fill it out, I know exactly how I’m voting in my two runoffs (46th ward)
Old 03-08-2019, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Looks like Willie is in for Lori. Lightfoot also got fire fighterís union, the Latino Leadership Council PAC, and is looking to get Chuy Garciaís blessings this weekend.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:31 AM

Well, the battle between Lightfoot and Preckwinkle started nasty and will undoubtedly remain that way. Lightfoot, of course, will present herself as a reform candidate who has no connections to the "machine", and therefore no political obligations to the traditional Chicago political power brokers.

Preckwinkle, on the other hand, is going to play on the fact that she is an experienced politician with a strong resume who is much better equipped to take on such a daunting position as Mayor of Chicago. She also immediately alluded to the fact that the law firm that Lightfoot works for has some very questionable clients, implying that Lightfoot isn't the angel that she is making herself appear.

Stay tuned.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
Well, the battle between Lightfoot and Preckwinkle started nasty and will undoubtedly remain that way. Lightfoot, of course, will present herself as a reform candidate who has no connections to the "machine", and therefore no political obligations to the traditional Chicago political power brokers.

Preckwinkle, on the other hand, is going to play on the fact that she is an experienced politician with a strong resume who is much better equipped to take on such a daunting position as Mayor of Chicago. She also immediately alluded to the fact that the law firm that Lightfoot works for has some very questionable clients, implying that Lightfoot isn't the angel that she is making herself appear.

Stay tuned.
Lucikly, thus far, I've managed not to avoid all the campaigning. I think I saw a Lightfoot ad show up on Facebook today, but that's all I remember seeing.

Nobody is an angel in Chicago politics, and everybody knows that. I personally just think enough people dislike Preckwinkle, whether deservedly or not (I lean not deservedly), that she's a tough pill for the majority of voters to swallow.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Nobody is an angel in Chicago politics, and everybody knows that. I personally just think enough people dislike Preckwinkle, whether deservedly or not (I lean not deservedly), that she's a tough pill for the majority of voters to swallow.
I agree. Preckwinkle does not have an attractive personality. In fact, she comes off as more than a bit "stand offish". Personality definitely matters in a campaign where the two candidates are basically spending most of their time attacking each other's personas.

Though I live in the suburbs, I still own a home in Beverly Hills, so I think I'm still eligible to vote in the Chicago mayoral election if I so choose. I'm just not moved to do it, though.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
Though I live in the suburbs, I still own a home in Beverly Hills, so I think I'm still eligible to vote in the Chicago mayoral election if I so choose. I'm just not moved to do it, though.
Heh. I think that may very well be the first time I've heard it referred to by its full name. I went to school with a good number of Beverly kids, and only know it's Beverly Hills from a sign somewhere welcoming you to the neighborhood.

Last edited by pulykamell; 03-08-2019 at 10:56 AM.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:24 AM

I was born and raised in Beverly and still live there. Yeah nobody here says Beverly Hills, it's just Beverly. Also kids from here are called Bevrats because so many grown up Beverly kids still live in their parent's basements.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Lucikly, thus far, I've managed not to avoid all the campaigning. I think I saw a Lightfoot ad show up on Facebook today, but that's all I remember seeing.

There’s plenty of reasons to detest Preckwinkle. Ramming through the soda tax 2 days after Trump was elected where there was no focus on local politics. The sales tax flip flop. She’s a puppet for the CTU.

No thanks, the second I get my ballot, I’m voting Lightfoot.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:12 PM

Yes, God forbid the Mayor should be in the pocket of those nefarious schoolteachers! I have a kid in CPS, and Preckwinkle's CTU endorsement is in my mind the #1 argument in her favor.

Also, the soda tax was good public policy. The city desperately needs new revenue. If we can't get it by taxing something that nobody actually needs to buy and that has negative effects on public health, how else are we supposed to get it? This "No taxes ever, but lots of free stuff!" mindset is exactly what got Chicago in the financial mess we are today.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
There’s plenty of reasons to detest Preckwinkle. Ramming through the soda tax 2 days after Trump was elected where there was no focus on local politics. The sales tax flip flop. She’s a puppet for the CTU.

No thanks, the second I get my ballot, I’m voting Lightfoot.
Oh, I'm voting Lori as well, but I'm one of the few I know who doesn't seem to mind Preckwinkle. I didn't particularly mind or care about the soda tax, but it was a politically stupid, stupid, stupid move, knowing how Chicago voters are when it comes to taxes. I mean, the neighborhood boards around here just fucking blew up when that whole mess happened.

Last edited by pulykamell; 03-08-2019 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, God forbid the Mayor should be in the pocket of those nefarious schoolteachers! I have a kid in CPS, and Preckwinkle's CTU endorsement is in my mind the #1 argument in her favor.

Also, the soda tax was good public policy. The city desperately needs new revenue. If we can't get it by taxing something that nobody actually needs to buy and that has negative effects on public health, how else are we supposed to get it? This "No taxes ever, but lots of free stuff!" mindset is exactly what got Chicago in the financial mess we are today.

Most schoolteachers are wonderful people. The CTU, however, is despicable. I can almost guarantee you that if the CTU supports a position, I oppose it. One reason I didn't vote for Lightfoot in the first election is her support for an elected school board. I strongly oppose an elected school board which will inevitably have a separate Election Day and end up full of CTU puppets.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:50 AM

Lightfoot, after a wave of endorsements from Willie Wilson, Gery Chico, Paul Vallas, several influential aldermen, and a bunch of labor unions, capped it all off with a Tribune endorsement today.

Polling is sparse, but the only 3 polls since the preliminary election all show Lori with an over 40-point lead against Preckwinkle (!!!)

For what it's worth, my partner is a member of a NW side neighborhood facebook group filled with a bunch of civically engaged Chicagoans, and they also ran a poll among members. Final results were Lightfoot-81% and Preckwinkle-19%. Obviously this wasn't at all a scientific poll and it probably oversamples high-information voters, but it had over 800 participants- which is actually more than any of the official polls have had so far.

Is it safe to say Lori is the favorite at this point?

Last edited by pjacks; 03-15-2019 at 11:51 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

Turnout is key, that’s always the case but this is the third election in less than six months with the midterms and the first mayoral election. Preckwinkle’s union supporters are going to be voting without doubt.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:01 PM

Turnout is indeed key but the general dislike for Preckwinkle is pretty deep and wide. Every conversation I've heard where her name comes up also includes some reference to the "soda tax", with words like moronic, stupid or fucking usually preceding those two words. It appears to me that misstep has generated anger that run pretty deep. Those people will be turning out in large numbers. As will the LGBT community. And in the first round voter turnout in the areas on the Northside were higher than the rest of the city. None of that bodes well for Preckwinkle.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:27 AM

And Our Revolution Chicago has endorsed Lightfoot. When Bernie and dalej42 are in agreement, who am I to disagree? Lightfoot it is.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
And Our Revolution Chicago has endorsed Lightfoot. When Bernie and dalej42 are in agreement, who am I to disagree? Lightfoot it is.

Chuy Garcia endorses Lightfoot as well. Politics does make strange bedfellows.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/je...source=twitter
Old 03-17-2019, 01:27 PM

It's really rare for a politician to be enthusiasticly supported by both moderates like Sposato, Napolitano, Chico, Vallas and O'Shea, as well as progressives like Chuy, Waguespack and Robin Kelly. Lori is cobbling together one hell of an interesting base.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjacks View Post
It's really rare for a politician to be enthusiasticly supported by both moderates like Sposato, Napolitano, Chico, Vallas and O'Shea, as well as progressives like Chuy, Waguespack and Robin Kelly. Lori is cobbling together one hell of an interesting base.
Were I a cynical sort, I'd wonder what she was promising them. Still, hope springs eternal.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

It’s over. Preckwinkle pulling TV ads.

https://trib.al/J58Z3je
Old 03-22-2019, 12:59 PM

Heard them on BEZ for a bit last night.

Preckwinkle was so bad it was painful. I hadnít expected Lightfoot to sound as good as she did.

Preckwinkle really really wants to make sure everyone knows Chance the Rapper endorses her. Apparently Lightfoot having been on the prosecution side is bad ...
Old 03-26-2019, 05:23 PM

Seen on Facebook: One white guy telling another to "check your white male privilege" in the context of an argument over which black woman to support.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

Lightfoot wins in a landslide. Right now showing at 75% to 25%. With a blowout this bad, Preckwinkle must have lost some union support. 50% of the precincts are reporting now
Old 04-02-2019, 08:04 PM

Looks like Preckwinkle is getting stomped. With 65% of the vote in it is Lightfoot with 248,247 (74%) to 86,101 (26%) for Preckwinkle. Ouch. The Teacher's Union is going to have it out for Lightfoot. I'm curious to see how the Council deals with this.

Also, cautiously optimistic about the runoff for alderman in the 40th Ward. Vasquez is up over O'Connor at the moment. Oh happy day if O'Connor is sent off to retirement! The idea we could get rid of Joe Moore and Pat O'Connor from the City Council in the same election is a delight. And it looks like Deb Mell could be going down too.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
And it looks like Deb Mell could be going down too.
Wait a sec--isn't Deb Mell married to Blago? Good riddance!
Old 04-02-2019, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

My 46th Ward looks quite interesting, it’s separated by 11 votes. Lightfoot voters may well push Marianne Lalonde over the top.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
Deb Mell is a lesbian. But she is Blago's sister-in-law.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:54 PM

Lori won in all 50 wards. That's a mandate.

Yes, there was historically low voter turnout, but if you adjust for her margin of victory, Lightfoot actually won more votes than Rahm did and Daley did in some of his runs. That's a big deal.
Old 04-03-2019, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjacks View Post
Deb Mell is a lesbian. But she is Blago's sister-in-law.
And it looks like, with all precincts reporting, Rodriguez has the lead over Mell by...wait for it...24 VOTES! Jeez, that is close. Is there a recount procedure for aldermanic races? That's crazy close.

It looks like Cappleman will keep his seat in the 46th Ward by 23 votes.

Damn, folks in Chicago are clearly pissed and want to shake shit up.
Old 04-03-2019, 01:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
And it looks like, with all precincts reporting, Rodriguez has the lead over Mell by...wait for it...24 VOTES! Jeez, that is close. Is there a recount procedure for aldermanic races? That's crazy close.

It looks like Cappleman will keep his seat in the 46th Ward by 23 votes.

Damn, folks in Chicago are clearly pissed and want to shake shit up.

My mail in ballot hasn’t been counted yet so it’ll be 22 votes at best for Cappleman.