Old 02-21-2019, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

Has a US President sought re-election as VP?

Inspired by this post.

Has it happened that a sitting US President has sought re-election not as President but as Vice President?

ISTM that someone like Cheney or Pence would prefer to operate behind the scenes and prefer being VP, so if through some circumstance they found themselves President they might want to continue in power but as VP.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:27 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

The qualifications for president and vice president are the same. There is nothing stopping him except the party if they still have years of eligibility. If they already served two terms they canít be Vice President.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:29 AM

John Quincy Adams served 18 years in the house after being president , that would be pretty much unheard of these days.

In 1980 there was a rumor Reagan talked to Ford about being his VP running mate but I don't know how much truth there was in that story.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Harry Truman supposedly offered to step down back to the Vice Presidency if Dwight Eisenhower had decided to run as the Democratic presidential candidate in 1948.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
John Quincy Adams served 18 years in the house after being president , that would be pretty much unheard of these days.
Former President John Tyler was elected to the Confederate House of Representatives in 1861. But he died before taking his seat.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
If they already served two terms they canít be Vice President.
Don't know if that's necessarily true, and I believe there's some debate around this. The 22nd Amendment says "No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once."

Being elected president and ascending to the presidency by way of the vice presidency are two different things. I'm not a Constitutional expert however, so I'm not gonna argue one side of this or the other too strongly.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
Don't know if that's necessarily true, and I believe there's some debate around this. The 22nd Amendment says "No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once."

Being elected president and ascending to the presidency by way of the vice presidency are two different things. I'm not a Constitutional expert however, so I'm not gonna argue one side of this or the other too strongly.
We've had this conversation before...
Old 02-21-2019, 06:32 PM

Almost. Ronald Reagan considered having Gerald Ford as his running mate in 1980. Ford did not particularly like Reagan and wanted to be a "co-president," and the negotiations fell apart.

Had that happened, and had John Hinckley had better aim, Gerald Ford would have gone into the 1984 election in the really weird position of seeking a third term as president despite never having been elected president (the 22nd Amendment would have still allowed him to seek a single term regardless of how many 2+ year terms he had served before his first election).

Last edited by Lord Feldon; 02-21-2019 at 06:35 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post

Yes, we have done this debate many times. I remain of the position that there is a distinct difference between being "elected" president and being president.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

Whereas I agree that a robotic reading of the text would lead to that conclusion, but that it's clearly not what the authors of the 22nd amendment meant.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

Slightly different scenario of a possible VP serving under 2 different presidents.

I really can’t see it happening in the modern era, it’s unique that we’ve had two presidents serve two terms and yet neither Cheney nor Biden ran for president. Cheney due to health and the low approval ratings in 2008 and Biden says he didn’t run because of the death of his son and probably because of the inevitability of Hillary Clinton.

2000 could have been interesting. If Bill Bradley wins, does he ask Gore to stay on as VP and saying Gore is in charge of climate change policy? I doubt Bradley would have kept Gore but it’s the only likely scenario I can see in modern times.

Last edited by dalej42; 02-21-2019 at 07:57 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Whereas I agree that a robotic reading of the text would lead to that conclusion, but that it's clearly not what the authors of the 22nd amendment meant.
That's not robotic. It is assigning the known meaning of words which have definitions as part of the English language. There is a difference between being elected president and serving as president. Ask Gerald Ford (I know, if he were alive).

The drafters of the 22nd Amendment knew the words "serve," "act," "be" etc. They chose the word "elected."
Old 02-22-2019, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Is there any legislative history to back you up on this?
Old 02-22-2019, 11:06 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

The Moderator Speaks

Leave the elected/appointed thing elsewhere, gentlemen. Itís not really the topic of the thread.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
Leave the elected/appointed thing elsewhere, gentlemen. Itís not really the topic of the thread.
The OP is basically a yes/no question. So now you want to take out any discussion relating directly to whether a president running for veep is even a possibility.

Why not just answer the OP with a yes or no and then close the thread?
Old 02-22-2019, 03:20 PM

Because...

A) We've done it a thousand times

B) The OP asked a different questions

and

C) Answering the question Y/N could lead to a productive discussion about why or why not. Your Yes/No question might be the next responder's 1000 word insightful analysis.

Last edited by Jonathan Chance; 02-22-2019 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
Because...

A) We've done it a thousand times

B) The OP asked a different questions

and

C) Answering the question Y/N could lead to a productive discussion about why or why not. Your Yes/No question might be the next responder's 1000 word insightful analysis.
Yeah, the discussion here had organically moved to "Why or why not?" And I didn't realize we couldn't discuss things that have been discussed prior.

Are you as a mod telling us not to discuss the legal reasons why a president has not gone on to run for veep? Or as a poster annoyed about the direction the discussion has gone? From what I can tell, discussing the legality of a former president serving as vice president is entirely relevant to why it's possibly not happened.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:35 PM

As a mod, I received a report asking me to end the hijack. I did so.

Did I stutter?
Old 02-25-2019, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

A one-term President can run for veep. There is no argument over that. And all Presidents who served before the ratification of the 22nd Amendment could have run for veep, regardless of how many terms they served, plus Harry Truman who was grandfathered in.

Trump is our 45th President. We've had 43 persons before him who were President, after we remove the double-count for Grover Cleveland.

Only five Presidents have been prevented (if such is the case) by the 22nd Amendment from running for veep after their term as President came to an end: Ike, Reagan, Clinton, Dubya, and Obama. And we know none of them actually did run for veep afterwards, so that's that as far as the question in the OP is concerned.

And another seven Presidents were prevented from running for veep after they completed their terms of office because they died while President.

That leaves 31 Presidents who unquestionably could have run for veep after their time as President was done. So the question remains, did any of them do so?
Old 02-25-2019, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

Of course, even before the 22nd Amendment, there was a tradition against serving more than two terms. Now, traditions are a lot vaguer than laws, but it's still likely that a two-term President running for VP would be regarded as violating the tradition.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:31 AM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
John Quincy Adams served 18 years in the [H]ouse after being president , that would be pretty much unheard of these days....
John Tyler also served in the Provisional Confederate Congress and was elected to the Confederate House of Representatives, but died before taking up the latter post. Andrew Johnson served briefly in the U.S. Senate after leaving the White House.
Old 03-09-2019, 01:42 PM

Since Q, ex-presidents seem to have taken the attitude that they have done their duty and are entitled to a quiet retirement. Another exception was one-term president Taft, but he had always wanted to be on the Supreme Court. Obama has been unusually active, but he obviously thinks the situation is desperate and still I can't see him pursuing any elective office.