Old 03-15-2019, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Most of the people running are already senator or governor in their states.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:04 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about good candidates not being available for Senate and governor runs. If Beto goes nowhere by Super Tuesday he can still run for Senate in TX, although I suspect Abbott is his actual target. And as I said in another thread, I don't think it's healthy for all the candidates to be blue staters. Sure, the red and purple staters could be running other races, but let's not have the campaign exist in a blue state bubble.
Old 03-16-2019, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

Of course most of the candidates are going to be blue staters, because that's where Democratic politicians hold office. But there are and historically have been plenty of candidates from purple and even red states.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:49 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
I hope at least most of this impressive mass of people running for President are thinking something similar - that the nomination will be decided, or at least down to at most 2 or 3 possibilities, on Super Tuesday at the latest, before the filing deadlines for Senator or Governor in their states.
Is it ever not? I mean, surely if you're in ninth place at that point the fundraising is gonna dry up. Sure no one really thinks John Hickenlooper will be able to afford gas for his campaign bus all the way to November 2020.

The last time the Democrats had a really competitive multi-way primary was, really, 2004. Howard Dean got off to a fast start but was closely pursued by Kerry, John Edwards, Dick Gephardt, Wesley Clark, Bob Graham, and more. Lieberman too, now that I think about it. Iowa however put Kerry in front and Super Tuesday clinched it.

In 1992, Bill Clinton laid waste to the opposition on Super Tuesday and practically eliminated the entire field save Jerry Brown, who fought on for awhile.

I mean, let's be honest... of the five thousand people running for the Democratic nomination, most will not even be serious candidates going into Iowa. (Sorry, Elizabeth Warren.) Iowa and NH will whittle it down to four or five possibilities, tops, and Super Tuesday will make it quite apparent who's going up against Trump.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:39 PM

Trump and the Republicans seem to be more scared of Beto than any of the other Dems that are running. The official GOP twitter account posted a photoshopped picture of Beto's mug shot from his drunk driving arrest back in the day.

https://twitter.com/GOP?ref_src=twsr...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

There are several tweets from the official GOP twitter account attacking Beto. Since the beginning of the month they have only tweeted twice attacking any of the other Democratic candidates, once for Hickenlooper and once for Gabbard. If the GOP is that afraid of him they probably think Beto has a better chance than any of the other candidates.

Last edited by FlikTheBlue; 03-17-2019 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlikTheBlue View Post
Trump and the Republicans seem to be more scared of Beto than any of the other Dems that are running. The official GOP twitter account posted a photoshopped picture of Beto's mug shot from his drunk driving arrest back in the day.
This is what convinces me that they will have no problem forgetting about Donald Trump in a few years and return to pretending to care about family values and morals and whatnot. If a DUI is disqualifying for a presidential candidate, this seems to be a new policy for the GOP
Old 03-17-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:

There are several tweets from the official GOP twitter account attacking Beto. Since the beginning of the month they have only tweeted twice attacking any of the other Democratic candidates, once for Hickenlooper and once for Gabbard. If the GOP is that afraid of him they probably think Beto has a better chance than any of the other candidates.
The GOP is scared of “psychedelic warlord?” Perhaps.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:09 PM

The Bernie Bros have the knives out for Beto big time as well, slamming him as a faux progressive.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:17 PM

Today on the campaign trail, a lengthy apology for "white privilege" and telling a harmless joke about his wife, and a shorter apology for writing a story about murdering children.

Quote:

That hardly proves that the Republicans are the most scared of Beto. It may simply be that they posted those Tweets because they view him as an easy target for mockery.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
This is what convinces me that they will have no problem forgetting about Donald Trump in a few years and return to pretending to care about family values and morals and whatnot. If a DUI is disqualifying for a presidential candidate, this seems to be a new policy for the GOP
They were lampooning him is all, trying to make him look mockable.

O'Rourke's DUI incident has made me think a little. From what I've heard it may have been bad enough that he was driving on the wrong side of the highway. This was in the '90s and there will almost certainly be no surveillance or dashcam video of him putting people in danger unearthed. We've talked about a world where the possibility of old social media posts could change how we see a younger Brett Kavanaugh. Somewhere down the line there will be a major candidate who has a previously unseen video of them on the roadways surface behaving in a way that much of the public has a visceral reaction to. Something more reckless and dangerous than the "Don't you know who I am!?" they always pull.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Would like to note that in Texas, people driving on the wrong side of the highway is pretty common given how our roads are laid out. It happens a lot on 281 between San Antonio and Austin - even I had to double-check a couple of times that I'm on the correct side and I'm always stone-cold sober.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

Oh, Beto filed that he got $6.1 million in donations in his first 24-hours of the campaign, topping all Dem nominees:

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...ollars-1224704
Old 03-18-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Oh, Beto filed that he got $6.1 million in donations in his first 24-hours of the campaign, topping all Dem nominees:

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...ollars-1224704
IIRC Bernie came in a close second at 5.9 million. It’ll be interesting if it comes down to Beto vs. Bernie given how the Bernie Bros are already going after Beto.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:45 PM

I notice that Beto did not disclose how many donors got him to that number, and there's some good evidence that 4.5 million of that comes from returns of his senate run contributions. Or maybe his billionaire father in law made sure his numbers were up. Sure took him a while to let the numbers out, though. I'd sure like to see the real breakdown of where the money came from.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:55 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartAleq View Post
I notice that Beto did not disclose how many donors got him to that number, and there's some good evidence that 4.5 million of that comes from returns of his senate run contributions. Or maybe his billionaire father in law made sure his numbers were up. Sure took him a while to let the numbers out, though. I'd sure like to see the real breakdown of where the money came from.
From examples of his campaign style, all you have to do is ask.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:14 PM

I love the way Beto successfully trolled Bernie backers. One of them was gloating just the other day on my page about how Beto must have had a very disappointing first day of fundraising if he wasn't releasing the numbers. Then when the truth came out, he looked dumb--and maybe most important, he couldn't pooh-pooh the importance of the huge number, since he had committed to a low one being so bad.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:28 PM

So you're of the opinion that Bernie progressives aren't aware of the fact that when you take the 4.5 million returned from senate race funds out of those first day numbers it actually means O'Rourke's first day fundraising from actual donors is more like 1.5 million and significantly below Bernie's first day fundraising? Aware of it and snickering over the baldfaced idiocy of claiming he earned six million when in fact he just moved 4.5 million out of one fund into another and called it donations? And did it just to try to fake it that he beat Bernie's first day take? It's fucking hilarious, is what that is. Fucking rich kids posturing and blustering and insisting they're important and relevant. Political incels lol.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
So you're of the opinion that Bernie progressives aren't aware of the fact that when you take the 4.5 million returned from senate race funds out of those first day numbers it actually means O'Rourke's first day fundraising from actual donors is more like 1.5 million and significantly below Bernie's first day fundraising? Aware of it and snickering over the baldfaced idiocy of claiming he earned six million when in fact he just moved 4.5 million out of one fund into another and called it donations? And did it just to try to fake it that he beat Bernie's first day take? It's fucking hilarious, is what that is. Fucking rich kids posturing and blustering and insisting they're important and relevant. Political incels lol.
Dude, you've been here long enough to know you can't make statements like this and not provide a site.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:08 AM

Yeah, that sounds a lot more like seething rage than snickering SmartAleq. Please tell me "political incels" is not a phrase floating around the Bernie camp.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Cite that this happened.

After all, he ended the Senate campaign with $.4m cash on hand. So we need a cite.

Last edited by JohnT; 03-19-2019 at 07:13 AM.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:17 AM

We won't know until he makes his first FEC filing.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

True. But we do know how much money he had remaining after the 2018 race and it sure as hell wasn't $4.5m.

(Correction: he ended it w/ $300k, not $450k.)

Last edited by JohnT; 03-19-2019 at 07:37 AM.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:18 PM

The Bernheads really hate Beto, don't they? I wonder if that will tank both campaigns, or just theirs. Seems unlikely it will have the effect they are desiring.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:35 PM

Can you imagine what office Beto will run for after he loses the Democratic nomination for POTUS? Secretary General of the UN?
Old 03-19-2019, 04:37 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

Quote:

In a way I can see it, at least on a superficial level.

Beto is non-threatening, so he won't drive away moderate republicans who are wary of Trump.
He has appeal to latino voters
He could make Texas a swing state
He has a lot of Obama in him (he is a good looking, charming political moderate).
Old 03-19-2019, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
- I'm on the record as preferring that Biden, Sanders and Warren step aside for younger blood, but I don't yet have a preference from amongst the choices on offer.
It may be a bit more than mere preference. Of the last five Democrats who captured the presidency (excluding Truman and Johnson, who ascended to it), the oldest was Carter at 52. Democrats do not fare so well with candidates beyond their mid 50s.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:21 PM
Charter Member

Too bad Presidential campaigns are not eligible for the Death Pool...

Pretty sure Beto has done the same math.

And, sadly, ladies and gentlemen, I am loathe to be the bearer of bad news, but God made us a cruel world, a harsh world, and we can no longer deny the truth, but submit to the honesty of the whispers I keep reading on the blackest websites deep within the Dark Web: that our man, Beto, this week just.... just.... just killed the ever-loving shit out of Joaquin Castro.

RIP Joaquin2020. Oh, we will still see you around... I don't even know if you have admitted to yourself the seriousness of this wound, but it is mortal. Please, Joaquin, just don't go broke. Make it to a few debates, I know you want to get to Texas, so... yeah. Just don't go broke.

Last edited by JohnT; 03-19-2019 at 06:25 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:39 PM

*Julian
Old 03-19-2019, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

Case in point.

RIP Julian.

And I even went to his announcement!
Old 03-20-2019, 07:13 AM

The main argument I've been making about the Castros is that the hype has largely been about "one of the Castros". If one of them can't even distinguish himself from his own brother in electability terms, he's never going to make it in a presidential race.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:27 AM

Reuters article on Beto's past finds out that he has a dark history, having been a member of Cult of the Dead Cow, and did/wrote some bad, bad things. At least, the RW will try to seize on any little thing and worry it off the bone like a furious terrier.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:13 AM

Any truth to some of these stories that are coming out about Beto eating Mexican dirt with regenerative powers after his loss to Cruz?
Old 03-20-2019, 11:15 AM

Stuff like that will look pretty bad compared with a paragon of virtue like our Dear Leader.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:17 AM

So is that a yes? Or you don't know?
Old 03-20-2019, 11:22 AM

I couldn't vote for a dude named "Beto".
Old 03-20-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Well technically his name is Robert. Was a family childhood nickname while growing in El Paso, Tx. Known as Robert in school and in sports activities. Re-adopted his childhood family nickname when he entered politics in West TX.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:53 AM

I think this guy is our next Kennedy, folks. He's really got "it".
Old 03-21-2019, 03:03 AM

I would add, along with my own "Camelot" exuberance for him, that it's quite apparent everyone at National Review fears him even as they loathe him. He's the one they are most scared of. And the more Democratic voters sense that fear in the GOP and from Trump, the more they are going to lock in on Beto as their crusading knight. Watch and see.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
Stuff like that will look pretty bad compared with a paragon of virtue like our Dear Leader.
I don’t think virtue has anything to do with it, but if it’s true, this guy is much weirder than Trump. Weird is one thing we know doesn’t win elections, unfortunately.

What are this guy’s key policies? He seems vague as hell with a lot of fluff. I don’t think that will play well this cycle. He’ll be too boring on a stage with 7-8 people. Are the wild mannerisms compensation?
Old 03-21-2019, 05:09 AM
Charter Member

I'd been wondering who the infatuatables would focus on this time instead of Bernie. Now we know.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
I'd been wondering who the infatuatables would focus on this time instead of Bernie. Now we know.
The "infatuatables"? Sounds like a bad superhero team.

Beto has charisma. He has popular appeal. He has the ability to get a lot of people to donate to his campaign. The question remains whether he has anything else.

It does rather annoy me that the people with the most charisma in this race (Beto and Pete) are the ones with the least experience. However, in a post-Trump world we can apparently no longer assume lack of experience is an absolute disqualification for office.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:24 AM

Also, six years in Congress, under both Obama and Trump, doesn't strike me as "no experience".
Old 03-21-2019, 08:59 PM
Charter Member

It's not "no experience", and I don't think anyone has claimed that it is. It's just "low experience".
Old 03-21-2019, 10:04 PM

Okay, it's not "lack of experience", which is the verbiage used in the post I was responding to.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Little View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Well technically his name is Robert. Was a family childhood nickname while growing in El Paso, Tx. Known as Robert in school and in sports activities. Re-adopted his childhood family nickname when he entered politics in West TX.
Huh. I could've sworn his real name was Bill McKay.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
I love the way Beto successfully trolled Bernie backers.
I'm sure you've seen more of this than I have since I'm not following Beto's campaign, but I thought it was relevant to your comment about the Beto/Bernie issue.

There was an article in the Guardian written by David Sirota, who now works on Bernie's campaign, claiming that Beto voted for the Trump administration position roughly 30% of the time, which is supposedly higher than his blue district would warrant. He points to a piece on 538 on Beto. I don't know what the numbers after the 30% are supposed to mean, so I won't try to interpret them. Beto supporters are saying that the Sirota article was a hit piece, but Sirota did back up his piece with numbers from 538. Sirota is pushing back.

Quote:
In the last two years, O’Rourke was among the top fifth of all lawmakers voting against his own party’s positions. FiveThirtyEight has calculated that in that same time period, O’Rourke has voted for the Trump administration position roughly 30% of the time. The website said that is above what analysts predict would come from a legislator representing a district as Democratic as O’Rourke’s. For comparison, O’Rourke’s congressional district votes more Democratic than than most districts in Massachusetts, according to the Cook Political Report.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:34 AM

Just FTR, I've already seen at least one "BETO for Senate" recycled in someone's yard with the "Senate" overlaid by paper bearing the words "President!" here in Dallas.
Old 03-24-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heffalump and Roo View Post
I'm sure you've seen more of this than I have since I'm not following Beto's campaign, but I thought it was relevant to your comment about the Beto/Bernie issue.

There was an article in the Guardian written by David Sirota, who now works on Bernie's campaign, claiming that Beto voted for the Trump administration position roughly 30% of the time, which is supposedly higher than his blue district would warrant. He points to a piece on 538 on Beto. I don't know what the numbers after the 30% are supposed to mean, so I won't try to interpret them. Beto supporters are saying that the Sirota article was a hit piece, but Sirota did back up his piece with numbers from 538. Sirota is pushing back.
A good find, and certainly provides further support for Slackerinc's contention that Sanders and his people are very, very worried about O'Rourke. Sirota is known as a "zealous advocate" (some would say an "attack dog") for the Sanders campaign (in addition to the Atlantic article, see https://www.electoral-vote.com/evp20...21.html#item-6). We could wave away random people on Facebook or even random people in this thread as "not really working for Sanders," but it seems doubtful that Sirota's a Russian bot.

It's interesting to me that Sanders's negative efforts are being focused on O'Rourke. I guess they see him as the candidate at present most likely to cut into Sanders's base of younger white men...Anyway, I'm not seeing anything like this leveled by Sanders supporters at Elizabeth Warren, say, or Kamala Harris, or Amy Klobuchar, just O'Rourke. Maybe I'm wrong.

That being said, does the thrust of the Sirota article strike anyone else as...odd? It's fine for one candidate to complain that another doesn't toe the party line as often as he should ("voting against his own party's positions"). But when the candidate making the charges is someone who is proud to say he is not a member of that party--well, that's a peculiar complaint to make. Or maybe it's just me.
Old 03-24-2019, 02:42 PM

But it's not "toeing the party line". It's voting the right way. I don't know if you've looked it up, but Sanders is among the most reliable votes on Dem initiatives. I see no hypocrisy in his side pointing out that the "real" Democrat candidate is less reliable.

Last edited by CarnalK; 03-24-2019 at 02:43 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
But it's not "toeing the party line". It's voting the right way. I don't know if you've looked it up, but Sanders is among the most reliable votes on Dem initiatives. I see no hypocrisy in his side pointing out that the "real" Democrat candidate is less reliable.
The article cited by Heffalump and Roo did use the phrase "voting against his own party's positions," so yes, I do think that it is being framed as an issue of toeing the party line. Which again, I do think is an odd thing (I didn't say hypocritical, just odd) for someone who isn't a member of the party to highlight.

I'm sure that Sanders is a pretty reliable voter for the sorts of things that Schumer and Co. want him to vote for, by the way. I wonder what the overall "spread" among candidates is, though. If we're talking about most-votes-opposing-Trump, then I believe the "winner" among presidential candidates in the Senate is Gillibrand--but by how much, I have no idea.

I also wonder about the value of an aggregate figure such as "30%," which may simply reflect genuine regional/demographic differences even among party loyalists. Sanders's record on guns, for example, has not been especially in line with the rest of the Democratic party, and that's at least in part a result of representing a state with a high rate of gun ownership. That he is perhaps more Ted Cruz than Elizabeth Warren where guns are concerned may just indicate that Democrats in Vermont do not hold the same views on guns as Democrats in many other areas of the country. Blue state/red state doesn't mean lockstep; there are other considerations too.