Old 03-15-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
They did. Now it's your turn to come up with a cite that debunks it.
Please understand this. An opinion piece is NOT a cite backing anything up, no matter how many times it's repeated.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:27 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump
I have the support of the police, the support of the military, the support of Bikers for Trump -- I have tough people, but they don't play it tough until they go to a certain point and then it would be very, very bad.
The fact is, unless someone wants to make a case that he was trying to say that "...it would be very, very bad" for the "tough people" that support him if they step over the line(there is your straw for the grabbing, Trumpettes), then he was indeed indirectly threatening those he views as enemies.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
It's no different from his "Second Amendment people" threat. But it doesn't mean anything more than that, it's just his usual bluster to the usual deplorables.
Until they start mailing bombs to people. Remember what Cohen said. He doesn't give orders, he just says what he'd like to see happen.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:31 PM

Right Wing mails bombs, Left Wing swings bike locks. It's all the same, folks!

We still entertain these ridiculous hijacks?
Old 03-15-2019, 03:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Anconia View Post
Please understand this. An opinion piece is NOT a cite backing anything up, no matter how many times it's repeated.
The opinion part isnt but it's about a very real quote, which has been cited elsewhere.

Now come up with something that sez he didnt say it.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
It's a fact that Trump has publicly and explicitly praised, encouraged, and even threatened violence on numerous occasions. It's reasonable to suspect that this latest quote is another in this same long line of encouragement/praise/threats of violence. When someone has a history of praising/encouraging/threatening violence, and makes another statement that might allude to violence, it's reasonable to suspect that yes, this is another in that trend.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...et/3172413002/
https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/15/polit...nce/index.html
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trum...ry?id=61709959

CNN, ABC and USAToday.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
It's a fact that Trump has publicly and explicitly praised, encouraged, and even threatened violence on numerous occasions. It's reasonable to suspect that this latest quote is another in this same long line of encouragement/praise/threats of violence. When someone has a history of praising/encouraging/threatening violence, and makes another statement that might allude to violence, it's reasonable to suspect that yes, this is another in that trend.
Especially as the recipients of that message will surely take it that way.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:39 PM

They are quoting the Breitbart article.

Pretty much every utterance of a president is transcribed, videotaped, or both.

Please provide such evidence.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Transcriptions are there. White House counselor Kellyanne Conway confirmed the quote.

Prove we landed on the Moon. Prove the Earth isn't flat.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:47 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:

If only Trump hadn't deleted his tweet-his Official Correspondence That Is Supposed To Be Preserved For Posterity-to Breitbart.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:

Your claim here is that Trump did not say those words, or that those words are not being charitably enough interpreted?

This utterance of the president was transcribed by Breitbart. Why do you think that they would fabricate such a quote?

And you will need to provide some support to your claim that "Pretty much every utterance of a president is transcribed, videotaped, or both."
Old 03-15-2019, 03:52 PM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

The Moderator Speaks

Quote:

D’Anconia, enough. It can appear that you’re attempting to redirect away from the topic by distraction. Stop it.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:57 PM

nm

Last edited by k9bfriender; 03-15-2019 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIGObuster View Post
Well, I can see then that Trump still has the Mierdas touch, in this case it can even turn any trust that a right winger might had about Breitbart into shit.

(bolding mine)
Can I get a Y ?! Can I get an O ?! Can I get an I and an N and a K ?! What's that spell ? What's that spell ? What's that spell ?
Old 03-15-2019, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

I'm glad D'Anconia has realized Breitbart is pushing misleading fake news by means of inserting direct, fake, quotes into the President's mouth and I am thrilled he is taking charge on this issue, for he is right in insisting that we should not depend upon Breitbart as a source for accurate information, even if they are directly quoting the President of the United States.

And his objection does raise a valuable point: Since we do not consider Breitbart to be a reliable source, why are we not assuming this is the same re: this article? Who says the President said that? Breitbart said it.

Like D'Anconia is arguing, the source itself is sufficient to cast doubt as to the accuracy of the quote.

To paraphrase my grandfather "If Breitbart told me the sun was shining, I'd look out the window to make sure." D'Anconia obviously feels the same about them.

I stand with D'Anconia and his denouncement of the Fake News reporting done by Breitbart. We are stunned that they would lie, put words in the President's own mouth as a direct quote, and then push that shit as news across Twitter, FB, Insta, and more.

When Breitbart issues its retraction and apology (probably today, right?), all of y'all will owe apologies to my new friend D'Anconia and myself. It's gonna come any minute now...

Last edited by JohnT; 03-15-2019 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Who says the President said that?
If he DIDN'T say it, we would have heard over and over from everyone from Sanders to Trump that the President did not, in fact, say those things.

There's been no retraction, correction, or pushback on this, at all. That alone speaks volumes.

I also join in D'Anconia's condemnation of Breitbart as a shitty right-wing rag. If you want blatantly false or misleading "conservative" justifications, at least use the Heritage Foundation, not the new version of Stormfront.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
The quote has been verified by several sources. What it means- yes, you can question Breitbart. But IMHO they are not as bad as FOX.
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/fox-news/
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/breitbart/

Quote:
Overall, we rate Fox News strongly Right-Biased due to wording and story selection that favors the right and Mixed factually based on poor sourcing and the spreading of conspiracy theories that later must be retracted after being widely shared.
Quote:
Overall, we rate Breitbart Questionable based on extreme right wing bias and publication of numerous false claims.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
So the SDMB is accepting Breitbart as factual, now?

Good to know!

But those really do look like the droids we're looking for though. Please step out of the vehicle, sir.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:00 PM
Extrajudicial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
Trump explicitly, clearly, obviously threatened violence from his supporters, including police and military. There is no way someone can twist this into Trump saying "his supporters don't respond in kind. " It's quite clearly the opposite of this.

Anyone who posts an excuse like this on behalf of Trump is being deliberately obtuse, and is a disgusting, amoral pathetic excuse for a human being.
This is a warning for personal insults. The Pit is right around the corner where this would be more appropriate.

[/moderating]