Old 03-22-2019, 05:36 PM

Trump reverses sanctions

By his own state department because he likes Kim.

https://abc3340.com/news/nation-worl...s-he-likes-kim

And doesn’t think they are necessary because he trusts him.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:39 PM

They are trying to claim that he didn’t mean those sanctions. He meant another round of yet unannounced sanctions. Yeah, I don’t believe that either.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:46 PM

A victory for the North Korean people. I can understand why some are upset.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
A victory for the North Korean people. I can understand why some are upset.
No, you're unduly belittling this triumph of diplomacy. A global nuclear war is actually a victory for everyone, if by "everyone" you mean radiation-resistant cockroaches and subterranean termites.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:01 PM

I wrote on my blog just a few days before that news came out that John Bolton's days are numbered.

Reason we can say that: Bolton is capable and ain't going to take no from Trump.

Last edited by Sage Rat; 03-23-2019 at 11:02 PM.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:05 PM

To the extent that there were actually any "additional large scale sanctions" on North Korea (I'm not sure what I believe), I don't think they would have been very productive and this was probably the right call, even if for a bizarre and bad reason.

Last edited by Lord Feldon; 03-23-2019 at 11:05 PM.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
....Bolton is capable....
You misspelled "culpable".
Old 03-24-2019, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
No, you're unduly belittling this triumph of diplomacy. A global nuclear war is actually a victory for everyone, if by "everyone" you mean radiation-resistant cockroaches and subterranean termites.
Another hawkish view from the left.

Lowering of sanctions has been associated with decreased hostilities.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

Psst, Will, we're talking about North Korea here. You know, the one that won't let Western goods through to their people no matter what we try to do, who confiscate everything in the country and funnel it into the military that's trying to do what it can to start World War III. Helping them does not, in fact, decrease hostilities.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:16 AM

The logic here seems pretty watertight:

When a Republican lowers sanctions on N. Korea, it decreases hostilities and is good for the people.

If a Democrat ever tries this, it would increase hostilities and be bad for the people.

Pretty obvious when you think about it from a certain point of view.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
I wrote on my blog just a few days before that news came out that John Bolton's days are numbered.

Reason we can say that: Bolton is capable and ain't going to take no from Trump.
I don't always agree with you, but you might possibly be onto something here. It does seem to be the opposite of what Bolton would do, and for once, Trump might have inadvertently done something I can agree with.

I don't think additional sanctions are going to help the situation.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Psst, Will, we're talking about North Korea here. You know, the one that won't let Western goods through to their people no matter what we try to do, who confiscate everything in the country and funnel it into the military that's trying to do what it can to start World War III. Helping them does not, in fact, decrease hostilities.
I frequently disagree with WillF but on this one, I don't think he's necessarily wrong. Yes, easing sanctions will benefit the military more than the general population, but it won't necessarily hurt the general population either. We don't benefit by sanctioning a country during a famine, which is very likely to happen this year according to some of the North Korean experts I've been following.
Old 03-24-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
I don't always agree with you, but you might possibly be onto something here. It does seem to be the opposite of what Bolton would do, and for once, Trump might have inadvertently done something I can agree with.

I don't think additional sanctions are going to help the situation.
I suspect that the only real cure for North Korea is to figure out how to assassinate the Old Guard who expect things to continue as they have been.

When Kim came in, he started working on building ski resorts and trying to encourage Chinese tourism into the country. Then there was a bit of a flap, Kim had his uncle murdered, and suddenly his focus turned to building nukes.

Personally, I read all of that to mean that Kim was open to modern economics, but that path scared a sufficiently large subset of the party for his uncle to try and take over. To keep power (and not get murdered) Kim had to shift his policy to something more in line with what the party wanted. They'd prefer to keep Kim, since the paternal line of rulership works better to impress the populace with the majesty of the Great Leader, so if he's on-board with building nukes, selling weapons to the Middle East, and pirating DVDs, then they'll always pick him over his uncle. Ergo: Uncle dead.

One can assume, though, that the people who are hardcore for nukes are liable to be older and unable to shift their thinking or strategy and fearful of change. As said, it's the old guard that are the problem.

If Kim keeps on this path for long enough, eventually he'll get old and entrenched in this path as well, and we'll be stuck until a new ruler comes in.

The only real hope is to cause a bunch of "accidents", spread information about so-and-so old general and his plan to defect, etc. so that the old guard gets thinned out enough for Kim to feel safe enough that he can rule without fear of the party and, maybe, move back towards economic growth.

What Trump should offer Kim, if he was smart (sigh), would be to help Kim with his "little problem" and offer him the power of the US government to deal with anyone in his way to being a tourism destination.

Last edited by Sage Rat; 03-24-2019 at 02:22 PM.