View Poll Results: Do you think Russia tampered with vote tallies in order to get Donald Trump elected President?
Definitely true 9 8.04%
Somewhat true 9 8.04%
Probably not true 55 49.11%
Definitely not true 39 34.82%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-24-2019, 01:28 AM

Do you think Russia tampered with vote tallies in order to get Donald Trump elected President?

This question was asked in a YouGov poll a few months ago. I'm curious where the SDMB fits in.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:49 AM

TBH I wouldn't put it past them to try, but is that the actual assertion? Most of what I've heard has more to do with propaganda than directly changing votes.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
This question was asked in a YouGov poll a few months ago.
Well, whatever. I think most people here know they were using different techniques.
Old 03-24-2019, 02:13 AM

I keep remembering every single website leading up to the 2016 election telling me it was impossible to tamper with the vote tallies directly.
Old 03-24-2019, 02:19 AM

Not impossible but highly unlikely.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:49 AM

I don't know how I could possibly know it was definitely not true, but I chose that anyway because there's no evidence that it happened. I wish you would have written that instead -- "there is no known evidence that the Russians changed vote tallies". That's an assertion I could get behind. However, there's only a small step from that to "definitely not true", so close enough.

ETA: What does "somewhat true" mean? Not just here, but in any factual context? What a weird choice.

Last edited by RitterSport; 03-24-2019 at 06:51 AM.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:00 AM
Charter Member

It's impossible for then to tamper with vote tallies, since official tallies are made by both Democratic and Republican election officials. Ant irregularities will be immediately spotted.

It might be theoretical possible to program a voting machine to do a miscount, but the machines are difficult to access by unauthorized people. You couldn't reprogram enough to make a difference, even if your tampering went unnoticed.

For the Russians, it was too much work for too little chance of success.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.

Last edited by RealityChuck; 03-24-2019 at 07:01 AM.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:34 AM

No.
But that is exactly the type of big hammer, direct action, easily foiled plan I would expect Trump to dream up through lack of imagination.
The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:46 AM

US voting machines are a hodgepodge of vendors and systems, some of which have been shown to have remarkably lax security controls. I think it is possible that votes may have been tampered with. However, I've seen no reporting or evidence to suggest that. So I voted "probably not true". I don't rule it out. But I don't have any reason to think it happened.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Probably not true. How many times did I have to counter the conspiracy theorists in 2004 who were convinced that Dievold rigged the voting machines to guarantee a Bush victory?

Russia certainly attempted to ratfuck the election but it wasn’t through messing with the vote tallies.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:20 AM

Not the vote tallies, but the minds of some gullible voters. All they had to do was post on facebook that Hillary eats puppies, and some people would believe it and vote against her. If enough of that happened, Trump would win some states with a razor-thin majority... which is exactly what happened. They didn't need to tamper with voting machines.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

I voted probably not true. With the hodgepodge of different voting systems in this country it would probably be very difficult, maybe impossible, to subvert enough of them to make a difference without leaving some bit of evidence somewhere.

That said, I think it's very possible that they screwed with voter registration databases, and that could theoretically affect the outcome without directly subverting the count. We know that they broke into some of them.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:48 AM

No.

They chose the much easier route, create division via Facebook and Twitter.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:18 AM

I voted probably not true, at least not in any meaningful way. I think it would have been extremely dangerous for Russia or any foreign power to hack into voting systems at a time when most political prediction models had Hillary Clinton winning the race. There would have been certain retribution.

But regardless of who is president, I certainly think it's within the realm of the possible to hack into voting systems to demonstrate what can be done, for the same reasons that foreign hackers 'test' power grids. Electronic warfare is warfare in another form. Warfare often involves the projection and demonstration of power in non-combat situations or in situations in which hostilities haven't commenced. Hacking into voting databases, removing the names of voters, changing party affiliations, changing their information so that they can't verify their identity and thus, can't vote...sure, I could see that. Not on a scale that would actually change an election, but on a scale that could show us that it could be done.

Last edited by asahi; 03-24-2019 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:22 AM

Honestly, directly changing vote totals would be the stupid way to affect an election.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:25 AM

No member of the general public can provide one of those answers based on the evidence. It's a poll constructed to push people to make a guess or express their unsubstantiated beliefs.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Do you think Russia tampered with vote tallies in order to get Donald Trump elected President?
Why, has anyone (beyond nutpicking level, that is) suggested that they might have?
Old 03-24-2019, 11:04 AM
born to be shunned

Have foreign citizens and/or governments tampered in US elections? Damn betcha! So have we for that matter.

Did Russia make a concerted and directed effort on behalf of Donald Trump and did that lead to his victory? Did someone from there actually find a way to rig the numbers? I seriously doubt it. I am beginning to think anything in the universe is possible but this strikes me as so unlikely that I would actually be shocked if it was true.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:47 AM

Moderator Note

Thread relocated from IMHO to Elections.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOmens View Post
Honestly, directly changing vote totals would be the stupid way to affect an election.
It would be if we -- if the results didn't polarize us and we decided to retaliate.

But what if the results did polarize us and we ended up fighting each other and couldn't agree on a response, or couldn't even agree on who was responsible despite knowing what our intelligence services tell us?

For the record, I don't believe that Russia went that far in 2016, because I think they assumed Hillary would win and they wouldn't have dared to invite that kind of retaliation - and we absolutely could find ways to hurt Russia. We already were hurting them, which is why they tinkered with our political system, but chose the less incendiary way to do it.

However, not that their asset is in the White House, and probably more assets are in various positions of power, who knows? Maybe they could push the envelope a little more.

Last edited by asahi; 03-24-2019 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
Why, has anyone (beyond nutpicking level, that is) suggested that they might have?
According to YouGov:

Quote:
Two out of three Democrats also claim Russia tampered with vote tallies on Election Day to help the President something for which there has been no credible evidence.
That seems a good bit "beyond nutpicking level" to me.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:56 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
According to YouGov:

Some reason you didn't provide a link?
Old 03-24-2019, 12:57 PM

It's something that they probably have tried to do. Whether or not they were successful, I don't know. The Russians don't believe in democracy any more than Republicans do. I'd be willing to bet they've surveyed many specific polling sites and looked for weaknesses in the system. They've very likely hacked into Diebold and found all the chinks in the armor. Thus far, they've gotten their candidates elected in the US and Brexit passed in the UK with Facebook bots but who's to say they aren't preparing for a more ambitious assault on western democracy?
Old 03-24-2019, 01:07 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
It's something that they probably have tried to do. Whether or not they were successful, I don't know. The Russians don't believe in democracy any more than Republicans do.
This, pretty much. It's pretty damned clear that they actively worked to meddle in the election, in a variety of ways. It's also clear that certain of their activities (social media trolling, hacking emails) were successful. I don't know of any evidence that they actually succeeded in hacking into voting systems *and* changing tallies. So many of our systems are antiquated and / or vulnerable, that I wouldn't be surprised if it could be done by hackers, but again, I don't know that there's any solid evidence that this actually happened.

Last edited by kenobi 65; 03-24-2019 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:14 PM

At the time of the election I saw some evidence that the standard American redshift - the phenomenon by which official vote tallies show considerably higher Republican vote share than do exit polls - was more pronounced in areas with touch screen voting machines that don't leave paper records. There's also a long history of these machines being hacked quite trivially, often in very short time frames by relatively inexperienced hackers, they generally have extremely poor security. Also, the corporate history of America's voting corporations is one of extreme corruption and shadiness. So the failings of voting machines might have influenced the election. I seem to recall that the voting machines in Detroit broke down on election night, leading to a large number of votes not being counted, and that this area was ordered excluded from the recount by the governor.

On the other hand I'm not aware of anything linking any of this to the Russians.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by galen ubal View Post
Not impossible but highly unlikely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOmens View Post
Both of these, really. I wouldn't completely discount a probe somewhere just to see if they actually could pull it off technically. But large-scale tampering? No.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Some reason you didn't provide a link?
Because he did, in the OP.
Old 03-24-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindboyard View Post
At the time of the election I saw some evidence that the standard American redshift - the phenomenon by which official vote tallies show considerably higher Republican vote share than do exit polls - was more pronounced in areas with touch screen voting machines that don't leave paper records. There's also a long history of these machines being hacked quite trivially, often in very short time frames by relatively inexperienced hackers, they generally have extremely poor security. Also, the corporate history of America's voting corporations is one of extreme corruption and shadiness. So the failings of voting machines might have influenced the election. I seem to recall that the voting machines in Detroit broke down on election night, leading to a large number of votes not being counted, and that this area was ordered excluded from the recount by the governor.

On the other hand I'm not aware of anything linking any of this to the Russians.
The sad thing is, this redshift has become accepted. Every single election, you see long voting lines in Democratic strongholds while Republican areas have much shorter waits. Virtually every anomaly that is reported about voting machines is an error that benefits Republicans. For several years, Republicans have whipped up hysteria about "illegals" voting, so they make draconian voting requirements that- oh isn't that convenient- disproportionately impact Democratic-leaning voters.
Old 03-24-2019, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

It's not actually that hard to tamper with vote totals, at least in some places using some systems. But it is hard to do it without leaving behind telltale traces, and those haven't been detected. I think it's most likely that they looked into the possibility, and maybe even successfully broke into some systems, but that they weren't yet ready to be caught at doing it, and so didn't do anything.

They'd have more luck doing things like tampering with the voter registration databases, but they might not have done that, either, because they had useful idiots in place who were able to and did do it much more easily and effectively.
Old 03-24-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
. Virtually every anomaly that is reported about voting machines is an error that benefits Republicans.
You don't think that might have more to do with your media choices rather than reality?
Old 03-24-2019, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensive Indifference View Post
US voting machines are a hodgepodge of vendors and systems, some of which have been shown to have remarkably lax security controls. I think it is possible that votes may have been tampered with. However, I've seen no reporting or evidence to suggest that. So I voted "probably not true". I don't rule it out. But I don't have any reason to think it happened.
Yes, what I voted. They certainly tried, but apparently they did not succeed in a significant fashion, if at all.

Their propaganda did succeed, however.
Old 03-24-2019, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
They did try.
Old 03-24-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
Because he did, in the OP.
This
Old 03-24-2019, 03:40 PM

I can't believe that they would not have tried to at least try the locks on our doors to our democracy.

I know that some of our doors are not well secured, and that even children can get into them.

I also know that there is no paper trail or accountability in many of the machines, meaning that we would never know if they were hacked, certainly not by who or for what benefit.

Did they alter vote tallies? I do not know the answer to that. What I do know is that there were efforts made to make sure that we would not know the answer to that.

I'd be much less concerned if the US govt was taking the matter of ballot security seriously, but they certainly are not. If all voting machines left an easily human readable paper trail, I'd be more comfortable with it.

It goes to voter confidence. The republicans will pass laws that they are aware will act as barriers to many of their citizens to vote due to their fears of in person voter fraud, but they will not pass any that will preserve the integrity of the actual voting machines and tallying equipment.

Now, we don't know if in person fraud is actually a real thing or not, when it is pointed out that it is very rare, republicans point out that that's only the ones that we have caught, presenting no evidence whatsoever, but use that as a justification to tighten up Voter ID laws even further.

Given that it takes a person quite a bit of time and effort and risk in order to cast a single second vote, but that person could alter all the votes in the machine, I would put a much higher priority towards securing the vote, rather than securing the voter.

I think that the very real potential for these machines to be hacked, and the lack of accountability in being able to detect tampering, should prompt anyone who is interested in providing voter confidence to work towards making sure that all voting leaves an auditable paper trail.

Did we get hacked in 2016? Probably not enough to actually affect the outcome.

Will we get hacked in 2020? Probably, unless we take measures to defend ourselves.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
According to YouGov:

Polls like this generally just reflect virtue signalling. Each side answers whatever they feel is most likely to make their side look good and the opposite side look bad. The same process that causes high numbers of Republicans to say that Obama was born in Kenya and that the Democrats trafficked busloads of illegals to vote for Hillary.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:31 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

I doubt it. There are irregularities in places like Georgia that need to be investigated.

If Russia did tamper with the election, I"m guessing they'd do it by altering/deleting voter registration data in blue counties so people were rejected at the polls rather than by flipping votes.

According to the senate, they had the ability to do that but didn't.

https://investigaterussia.org/media/...istration-data

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 03-24-2019 at 04:32 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

I don't recall where I read it, but I read that they definitely tried to hack voting machines.

And if they discovered Ohio, Kentucky, & Texas, they could have done it without leaving a paper trail, & thus possibly without getting caught. All of those states went for Trump. So while we can't prove they did, they probably did. I guess you can call that "somewhat true."
Old 03-24-2019, 05:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamerlane View Post
Both of these, really. I wouldn't completely discount a probe somewhere just to see if they actually could pull it off technically. But large-scale tampering? No.
Based on what? Wishful thinking?

Several US states have electronic systems designed to be rigged with no paper trail. The Electoral College makes it so you can steal a presidential election by flipping a few states. Do you think no one in Russia can do research?
Old 03-24-2019, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

Hella yes.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

Certainly not. America is capable of electing the wrong person without external influence.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:46 PM

Why hack the votes when you can hack the voters? But, I kind of wonder what happened here in Michigan. 10K votes could be an easy lift with "thumb on the scale" stuff. Maybe not Russians, maybe township officials in (very) red areas.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:15 AM

The electronic machines themselves aren't tamper proof. Many of them aren't secured by any means. I'd rather point to the key areas for Trump and past voting history in those areas. The man is a dumb liar, but he's a real good showman, and that's what got him the vote. His approving base has slid into the red zone over the last three years. I don't see a clean chance at 2020 like 2016 was given how people know who he is now.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:24 AM

No. The results of the election were very organic and consistent with demographic and past voting trends across broad areas. To have achieved that, Russia would have had to take over different types of tabulation systems across hundreds of local election authorities in dozens of states.

Last edited by Lord Feldon; 03-25-2019 at 03:26 AM.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
It's not actually that hard to tamper with vote totals, at least in some places using some systems. But it is hard to do it without leaving behind telltale traces, and those haven't been detected. I think it's most likely that they looked into the possibility, and maybe even successfully broke into some systems, but that they weren't yet ready to be caught at doing it, and so didn't do anything.

They'd have more luck doing things like tampering with the voter registration databases, but they might not have done that, either, because they had useful idiots in place who were able to and did do it much more easily and effectively.
Is it your belief that the Russian government has people in place that have access to voter registration databases? Do you have evidence that they have a single person in one of these positions?
Old 03-25-2019, 05:30 AM

If Russia tampered with the vote, millions of shrieking conspiracy theorists from Maine to Hawaii haven’t produced a single piece of evidence they did so. My faith in shrieking conspiracy theorists makes this a “definitely didn’t do” for me.

There are also hundreds of Trump-hating spooks who have access to all kinds of information. None of this info has surfaced that points to vote tampering.

Last edited by WillFarnaby; 03-25-2019 at 05:33 AM.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
Is it your belief that the Russian government has people in place that have access to voter registration databases? Do you have evidence that they have a single person in one of these positions?
Yes. https://www.businessinsider.com/russ...lection-2018-5

Will you concede point or talk about how all government is bad so it's OK anyway?
Old 03-25-2019, 06:27 AM

OP, so far, we're faring way better than the YouGov poll, right? Even in that poll, 18% of Republicans chose the top two -- maybe the SDMB is all Republican.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
According to YouGov:

All this means to me is that someone put a question on a questionnaire. Questionnaire design is out of my bailiwick (there's people down the hall who handle that side of things) but how a survey question is worded can have a pretty large effect on how it's answered.

The obvious thing that occurs to me is that the question might've been worded in a way that it registered with the respondents as "did Russia interfere with the election" and they may well have answered on that basis. I think you'd have to have a very careful sequence of questions to separate people's beliefs on whether Russia specifically tampered with the tallies from whether they interfered with the election more generally. So we need a link that goes to the survey questions.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitterSport View Post
OP, so far, we're faring way better than the YouGov poll, right? Even in that poll, 18% of Republicans chose the top two -- maybe the SDMB is all Republican.
Yes! (No snark, sincerely, I'm impressed ... but I've got to make this one joke You're generally acquitting yourselves as well as Republicans.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
.... So we need a link that goes to the survey questions.
And you'll find just such a link, in the OP. Each graphic is preceded by the precise wording of the question asked. And if that's enough, at the end of the article there's a link to the table results, a 230-page PDF.