Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-13-2019, 04:44 PM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 25,295

Conservative media *is* obsessed with Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez


Last winter we explored the question "Why is conservative media obsessed with Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez?". For the naysayers in that now-closed thread, we now have proof that the folks at Fox are obsessed with her: Study: Fox News is obsessed with Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez:
Quote:
A study found that the New York City Democrat was mentioned 3,181 times on Fox News Channel and its sister Fox Business Network during the six-week period of Feb. 25 to April 7, or just under 76 times a day. Not a day went by when she wasn’t spoken about on Fox.

The liberal watchdog Media Matters for America, which did the research, called it an obsession and said the first term representative has become the network’s latest bogeyman, “someone for hosts and guests to demonize, knock down and refer to whenever grievances need to be aired against the Democratic Party.”
The notion that it's all about ratings doesn't hold water for me, tho it's not surprising they'd lie about their motivations here: they lie about everything.
  #2  
Old 04-13-2019, 04:54 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 33,498
Yes, quite obviously.
  #3  
Old 04-13-2019, 05:10 PM
bobot's Avatar
bobot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 7,803
Republicans are afraid of her, and with good reason. Did anyone see her brief questioning of Michael Cohen, where within a few questions she opened the door to a Congressional look at Trump's taxes and finances? Or her rebuttal of the idea that environmental concern is an "elitist" concern?

Last edited by bobot; 04-13-2019 at 05:13 PM.
  #4  
Old 04-13-2019, 05:52 PM
Velocity is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 14,038
They're obsessed because she fits their caricature notion of a liberal: Millennial, a woman, minority, young, supports socialism, etc. The only thing missing, in their minds, is that she's not lesbian or a Muslim and hasn't openly embraced "death to America" or something.


They regard her the same way liberals would regard a Republican politician who was a white man, KKK Klansman, rich, called for women to be barefoot and in the kitchen, identified as fundamentalist evangelical, and got a lot of money from the Koch Brothers.
  #5  
Old 04-13-2019, 05:56 PM
Chisquirrel is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
They're obsessed because she fits their caricature notion of a liberal: Millennial, a woman, minority, young, supports socialism, etc. The only thing missing, in their minds, is that she's not lesbian or a Muslim and hasn't openly embraced "death to America" or something.


They regard her the same way liberals would regard a Republican politician who was a white man, KKK Klansman, rich, called for women to be barefoot and in the kitchen, identified as fundamentalist evangelical, and got a lot of money from the Koch Brothers.
Which of "Millenial", "woman", "minority", "young", or "supports socialism" is comparable to a Klansman, again? Which of those terms implies bigotry like keeping women in the kitchen? Which one advocates a theocracy?
  #6  
Old 04-13-2019, 05:57 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 33,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
They're obsessed because she fits their caricature notion of a liberal: Millennial, a woman, minority, young, supports socialism, etc. The only thing missing, in their minds, is that she's not lesbian or a Muslim and hasn't openly embraced "death to America" or something.

They regard her the same way liberals would regard a Republican politician who was a white man, KKK Klansman, rich, called for women to be barefoot and in the kitchen, identified as fundamentalist evangelical, and got a lot of money from the Koch Brothers.
Considering how many other young liberals in Congress have those same or similar characteristics, with much less obsession from conservative media, I seriously doubt that's the reason why. I suspect that it has something to do with her communication/media skills and charisma, at least partially.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 04-13-2019 at 05:58 PM.
  #7  
Old 04-13-2019, 06:03 PM
Velocity is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 14,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel View Post
Which of "Millenial", "woman", "minority", "young", or "supports socialism" is comparable to a Klansman, again? Which of those terms implies bigotry like keeping women in the kitchen? Which one advocates a theocracy?
My point is, she fits the preconceived notion the same way such a GOP politician would fit a liberal preconceived notion. If you asked a conservative to draw up a preconceived notion of a Democratic villain, it would probably look something like AOC.
  #8  
Old 04-13-2019, 06:08 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 33,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
My point is, she fits the preconceived notion the same way such a GOP politician would fit a liberal preconceived notion. If you asked a conservative to draw up a preconceived notion of a Democratic villain, it would probably look something like AOC.
Not clueless ivory tower white professors? Not shiftless, lazy, unemployed welfare-takers? Not Hollywood weirdos? You really think the "preconceived notion of a Democratic villain" is a young, attractive, minority, middle class political outsider with media skills?

EDIT: Now that I read that again, AOC might be utterly terrifying to GOP leaders.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 04-13-2019 at 06:12 PM.
  #9  
Old 04-13-2019, 06:09 PM
Wesley Clark is offline
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 21,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
They're obsessed because she fits their caricature notion of a liberal: Millennial, a woman, minority, young, supports socialism, etc. The only thing missing, in their minds, is that she's not lesbian or a Muslim and hasn't openly embraced "death to America" or something.


They regard her the same way liberals would regard a Republican politician who was a white man, KKK Klansman, rich, called for women to be barefoot and in the kitchen, identified as fundamentalist evangelical, and got a lot of money from the Koch Brothers.
I agree with all that, but I think its also the fact that shes pretty. A lot of 60 year old white men want to fuck her and they know she finds them disgusting both physically and morally.

But also her parents are puerto rican, so shes an immigrant as well as a minority.

But I think another big thing (which you mention with her being young) is that a lot of conservatives know deep down inside that she will still be here in 20 years and they will not. The median age of a fox news viewer is almost 70, while AOC is 29. Deep down inside conservatives know in 20 years many of them will be dead and AOC won't even be 50 yet. She represents the fox news generation sliding into irrelevancy while the next generation take over and change America into something they don't like (a multicultural, multiracial, feminist nation with center left politics).

Plus shes unapologetic in her liberalism. She doesn't give up before the fight starts or beg for consensus. She just puts forth her ideas.
__________________
Sometimes I doubt your commitment to sparkle motion
  #10  
Old 04-13-2019, 06:14 PM
Covfefe's Avatar
Covfefe is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
My point is, she fits the preconceived notion the same way such a GOP politician would fit a liberal preconceived notion. If you asked a conservative to draw up a preconceived notion of a Democratic villain, it would probably look something like AOC.
She's a squeaky wheel. They wouldn't pay nearly as much attention if she came in to learn quietly for the most part and lay off freelancing on social media.

I see the phenomenon as comparable to the attention Sarah Palin got 10+ years ago, where they can't lay off pointing out (what they feel is) all the insipid bullcrap that comes out of her mouth. In spite of the obvious asymmetry in the difference in power and overall makeup of parties when reversed, it's the same kind of irresistible bait.
  #11  
Old 04-13-2019, 06:19 PM
Covfefe's Avatar
Covfefe is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,222
A lot of you are overthinking this. They aren't scared of her. They mostly really do, rightly or wrongly, think she is and will go down in history as a laughingstock.
  #12  
Old 04-13-2019, 06:21 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 33,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Covfefe View Post
A lot of you are overthinking this. They aren't scared of her. They mostly really do, rightly or wrongly, think she is and will go down in history as a laughingstock.
Maybe. We'll see. If she's a young and highly skilled liberal politician, then they should be afraid of her. I think she might well be, but we won't know for sure without more time.
  #13  
Old 04-13-2019, 06:33 PM
bobot's Avatar
bobot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 7,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Covfefe View Post
A lot of you are overthinking this. They aren't scared of her. They mostly really do, rightly or wrongly, think she is and will go down in history as a laughingstock.
There's no way in hell that right wing media would pay her so much attention if they weren't afraid of her. If they thought she was a laughingstock they would ignore her and let her do herself in. They're focused on her like an enemy.
  #14  
Old 04-13-2019, 06:39 PM
Ambivalid is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 13,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
There's no way in hell that right wing media would pay her so much attention if they weren't afraid of her. If they thought she was a laughingstock they would ignore her and let her do herself in. They're focused on her like an enemy.
Im willing to entertain this as a possibility. However, I'd like it if you (or someone) could clarify what exactly it is in AOC that the right is scared of? I've always had the impression that the right wing media constantly covers AOC because they desperately want her to be the face of the Democratic Party and not just that of the progressive extreme.
  #15  
Old 04-13-2019, 06:41 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 33,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalid View Post
Im willing to entertain this as a possibility. However, I'd like it if you (or someone) could clarify what exactly it is in AOC that the right is scared of? I've always had the impression that the right wing media constantly covers AOC because they desperately want her to be the face of the Democratic Party and not just that of the progressive extreme.
I would guess because she might be a very highly skilled communicator, especially at such a young age and with so little experience. If she's as skilled as I think she might be, then after 10 or 20 years of experience, she could be as formidable a liberal communicator as Bill Clinton or Barack Obama. Politicians as skilled as that become president, as a rule, barring extremely damaging scandals.
  #16  
Old 04-13-2019, 06:51 PM
RTFirefly is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 38,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalid View Post
Im willing to entertain this as a possibility. However, I'd like it if you (or someone) could clarify what exactly it is in AOC that the right is scared of? I've always had the impression that the right wing media constantly covers AOC because they desperately want her to be the face of the Democratic Party and not just that of the progressive extreme.
I don't think we're talking about a rational, deliberate thing here, even by Fox News standards for such terms. She's simply gotten inside their heads, end of story.

They should be afraid of her, though. Because she doesn't spend her afternoons phoning rich people to ask for campaign contributions*, she has time to prep for and show up at committee hearings, and she's asking good questions of witnesses without any showboating.

*This is really a twofer problem for Dem Congresscritters. First, they spend a few hours a day, every day, talking with rich people who they need money from - so they have to spend a lot of time listening to rich people and absorbing their needs and wants. If you're a GOP pol, this just puts you more firmly into the camp you were already in; if you're a Dem, it makes you less of a Dem.

And second, it just plain gets in the way of their doing the job we elected them to do.
  #17  
Old 04-13-2019, 06:56 PM
Wesley Clark is offline
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 21,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Covfefe View Post
A lot of you are overthinking this. They aren't scared of her. They mostly really do, rightly or wrongly, think she is and will go down in history as a laughingstock.
Shes a first term democrat with no seniority. Why would they care so much?
__________________
Sometimes I doubt your commitment to sparkle motion
  #18  
Old 04-13-2019, 07:05 PM
Ambivalid is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 13,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
Shes a first term democrat with no seniority. Why would they care so much?
They may be miscalculating the makeup of eligible voters in the country today but they care about her because they believe the vast majority of voters-including democrats-are more to the center than AOC and will be turned off from voting Democratic in upcoming elections because Democrats are too extreme.

Last edited by Ambivalid; 04-13-2019 at 07:09 PM.
  #19  
Old 04-13-2019, 07:06 PM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is online now
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 60,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Covfefe View Post
A lot of you are overthinking this. They aren't scared of her. They mostly really do, rightly or wrongly, think she is and will go down in history as a laughingstock.
They all need mirrors for Christmas.
  #20  
Old 04-13-2019, 07:09 PM
Covfefe's Avatar
Covfefe is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
Shes a first term democrat with no seniority. Why would they care so much?
They use her to paint the party, especially the future of the party as out of ideas except for her loony ones, and there are also culture war issues she is not shy about entering that make for great ratings. And there is undeniably some truth that highlighting her is focusing on a locus where rifts and tension within the party can be found, which their media will then accentuate.
  #21  
Old 04-13-2019, 07:13 PM
bobot's Avatar
bobot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 7,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalid View Post
Im willing to entertain this as a possibility. However, I'd like it if you (or someone) could clarify what exactly it is in AOC that the right is scared of? I've always had the impression that the right wing media constantly covers AOC because they desperately want her to be the face of the Democratic Party and not just that of the progressive extreme.
They're afraid of things like this, which I mentioned earlier in the thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVuVSk_IUAc
  #22  
Old 04-13-2019, 09:36 PM
road_lobo is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Location, Location
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
...shes pretty. A lot of 60 year old white men want to fuck her.
Psychological projection much?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
But also her parents are puerto rican, so shes an immigrant as well as a minority.
How is she an immigrant? She was born in the Bronx, and so was her father. Even if she were born in Puerto Rico, she would be a naturally born U.S. citizen, which is the actual status of her mother.
  #23  
Old 04-13-2019, 11:14 PM
Kimstu is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 21,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
They're obsessed because she fits their caricature notion of a liberal: Millennial, a woman, minority, young, supports socialism, etc. [...]

They regard her the same way liberals would regard a Republican politician who was a white man, KKK Klansman, rich, called for women to be barefoot and in the kitchen, identified as fundamentalist evangelical, and got a lot of money from the Koch Brothers.
It would be hard to find a more succinct summary of the current massive imbalance in the levels of rationality and just plain common sense between liberals and conservatives these days. Namely, conservatives are getting freaked out about a politician being merely a young female nonwhite liberal of very mild socialistic tendencies, to the same level that liberals would get freaked out about a politician being an actual white-supremacist hate group member who openly advocates oppressive gender discrimination and supports a rabidly intolerant and anti-science religious agenda.

Thanks, Velocity, for making the point so clearly.
  #24  
Old 04-13-2019, 11:16 PM
Covfefe's Avatar
Covfefe is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
They're afraid of things like this, which I mentioned earlier in the thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVuVSk_IUAc
You are appealing to her strength as an orator with your examples? I don't know what went into her preparation. Do you think there was ever much fear on the left of Trey Gowdy? Several years ago hundreds of clips of Trey Gowdy started making the rounds of him taking this, that, and the other person to task. I'm sure many who relished these philippics felt Gowdy was a man who should be feared, as they salivated at the thought of him someday being US Attorney General or even higher. I never got much sense from the other side that fear was playing out, whether the reaction was to fire back or give his theatrics an eyeroll. I think you think she should be feared.

There might be a small fraction of AOC's capabilities and points raised that they honestly find formidable. I'm just not seeing it on the whole, for the time being.

In fairness, an item that was discussed a lot by the right wing earlier this year slipped my mind and it's possible this reporting could be motivated by... some sort of emotion. https://www.foxnews.com/politics/oca...plaint-alleges

Last edited by Covfefe; 04-13-2019 at 11:17 PM.
  #25  
Old 04-13-2019, 11:24 PM
snfaulkner's Avatar
snfaulkner is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: 123 Fake Street
Posts: 7,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimstu View Post
It would be hard to find a more succinct summary of the current massive imbalance in the levels of rationality and just plain common sense between liberals and conservatives these days. Namely, conservatives are getting freaked out about a politician being merely a young female nonwhite liberal of very mild socialistic tendencies, to the same level that liberals would get freaked out about a politician being an actual white-supremacist hate group member who openly advocates oppressive gender discrimination and supports a rabidly intolerant and anti-science religious agenda.

Thanks, Velocity, for making the point so clearly.
Well said. If velocity's view of the GOP is even remotely valid, they are so much more pathetic than I thought. And my thoughts about them...weren't great.
__________________
It may be because I'm a drooling simpleton with the attention span of a demented gnat, but would you mind explaining everything in words of one syllable. 140 chars max.
  #26  
Old 04-13-2019, 11:53 PM
Chisquirrel is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
My point is, she fits the preconceived notion the same way such a GOP politician would fit a liberal preconceived notion. If you asked a conservative to draw up a preconceived notion of a Democratic villain, it would probably look something like AOC.
THAT'S the GOP "villain"? And Republicans wonder why people call them batshit crazy.
  #27  
Old 04-14-2019, 12:11 AM
UltraVires is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bridgeport, WV, US
Posts: 15,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Covfefe View Post
They use her to paint the party, especially the future of the party as out of ideas except for her loony ones, and there are also culture war issues she is not shy about entering that make for great ratings. And there is undeniably some truth that highlighting her is focusing on a locus where rifts and tension within the party can be found, which their media will then accentuate.
Right. To win any national election both parties need the support of middle of the road voters who are not highly idealistic about causes, either on the left or the right. If the right can say, "Here is what you get if you vote for Democrats: you get socialism, no airplane travel, and bans on cows. Instead of listening to you who have busted your hump, paid taxes and put up with regulations for the last 30 years, the Dems listen to a bubblehead millennial whose only qualification was that she is pretty and was a bartender last year."

Now, whether any or none of that is true, the narrative is what is important, and that narrative sells very poorly to Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania voters.
  #28  
Old 04-14-2019, 07:54 AM
enipla is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Colorado Rockies.
Posts: 14,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by road_lobo View Post
How is she an immigrant? She was born in the Bronx, and so was her father. Even if she were born in Puerto Rico, she would be a naturally born U.S. citizen, which is the actual status of her mother.
We are talking about people stupid enough to vote for Donald J Trump. Of course she's an immigrant. She's from an island somewhere that is full of brown people.
__________________
I don't live in the middle of nowhere, but I can see it from here.
  #29  
Old 04-14-2019, 08:11 AM
Acsenray is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 35,323
It's not an obsession. It's a strategy. You hook on to somebody who looks like a rising star and you commence a firehouse of nonsense, both to paint that person as the personification of the other side while pasting on so much shit that it damages ēs* viability as the "perfect" candidate.

They did it very successfully with Hillary Clinton. As soon as she appeared on the national stage on 1992, the bullshit started and it continued nonstop for a quarter century. So a highly competent person with less than average ethical problems was burdened with the unshakeable identity of being a problematic figure with a history of scandal, no matter that that scandal was manufactured bullshit.

That's exactly what's happening now to Ocasio Cortes. If it doesn't cripple her early in her career and she survives to make it to the big leagues, she'll bear the burden of being a "divisive" and "controversial" Andrew "problematic" candidate and even people on the left will say "how could you possibly nominate our weakest candidate?"

At the same time she will become a symbol of all that is bad about the left.

*I'm experimenting with non-gendered pronouns.

Last edited by Acsenray; 04-14-2019 at 08:12 AM.
  #30  
Old 04-14-2019, 08:11 AM
Superdude is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: The Fortress of Solidude
Posts: 10,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
I would guess because she might be a very highly skilled communicator, especially at such a young age and with so little experience. If she's as skilled as I think she might be, then after 10 or 20 years of experience, she could be as formidable a liberal communicator as Bill Clinton or Barack Obama. Politicians as skilled as that become president, as a rule, barring extremely damaging scandals.
Not to mention her prowess with social media.
__________________
I can't help being a gorgeous fiend. It's just the card I drew.
  #31  
Old 04-14-2019, 11:30 AM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 33,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
It's not an obsession. It's a strategy. You hook on to somebody who looks like a rising star and you commence a firehouse of nonsense, both to paint that person as the personification of the other side while pasting on so much shit that it damages ēs* viability as the "perfect" candidate.

They did it very successfully with Hillary Clinton. As soon as she appeared on the national stage on 1992, the bullshit started and it continued nonstop for a quarter century. So a highly competent person with less than average ethical problems was burdened with the unshakeable identity of being a problematic figure with a history of scandal, no matter that that scandal was manufactured bullshit.

That's exactly what's happening now to Ocasio Cortes. If it doesn't cripple her early in her career and she survives to make it to the big leagues, she'll bear the burden of being a "divisive" and "controversial" Andrew "problematic" candidate and even people on the left will say "how could you possibly nominate our weakest candidate?"

At the same time she will become a symbol of all that is bad about the left.

*I'm experimenting with non-gendered pronouns.
Good point, I didn't think of this.
  #32  
Old 04-14-2019, 12:03 PM
Kolak of Twilo's Avatar
Kolak of Twilo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Edgewater/Chicago
Posts: 3,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
...But also her parents are puerto rican, so shes an immigrant as well as a minority....
How the HELL does being born to parents who were born on U.S soil and are U.S. citizens FROM BIRTH make her an immigrant? Or make her parents immigrants?

People born in Puerto Rico are natural-born citizens just as much as someone born in Texas or Alaska. Surely you know better than this.

Last edited by Kolak of Twilo; 04-14-2019 at 12:03 PM.
  #33  
Old 04-14-2019, 12:12 PM
Procrustus is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pacific NW. ¥
Posts: 11,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak of Twilo View Post
How the HELL does being born to parents who were born on U.S soil and are U.S. citizens FROM BIRTH make her an immigrant? Or make her parents immigrants?

People born in Puerto Rico are natural-born citizens just as much as someone born in Texas or Alaska. Surely you know better than this.
He’s talking about how it will look to those who watch Fox News.
  #34  
Old 04-14-2019, 12:29 PM
Kolak of Twilo's Avatar
Kolak of Twilo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Edgewater/Chicago
Posts: 3,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
He’s talking about how it will look to those who watch Fox News.
I'm not getting that from the way he phrased it.
  #35  
Old 04-14-2019, 10:04 PM
BigT's Avatar
BigT is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: "Hicksville", Ark.
Posts: 36,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Covfefe View Post
A lot of you are overthinking this. They aren't scared of her. They mostly really do, rightly or wrongly, think she is and will go down in history as a laughingstock.
That doesn't make sense. If she really is already a laughingstock, then they'd be wasting their time talking about her, not going after someone they actually find threatening. Sure, you might make the occasional joke about them, but you aren't going to constantly bring them up.

You mention Sarah Palin. The reason why the left mocked her so much was specifically that we were afraid people wouldn't see her a laughingstock. She was a genuine threat, running as the VP candidate.

It's also why we're constantly mocking Trump. We're scared of having such a buffoon in charge. We want to push the narrative that he is ill equipped to do the job.

None of this means we don't believe what we're saying. We definitely believe that both are too stupid to run our country, and worthy of mockery. But, make no mistake. We were indeed threatened by Palin, and we are still threatened by Trump.

You don't waste your time attacking people you aren't threatened by.


That said, I do think AOC is a bit of a stand in, and it's not her specifically that they are afraid of. They are afraid for what she stands for. They're afraid since her ideas are actually popular, and worried they may actually be implemented. Thus they label her a laughingstock.

It's exactly the strategy used in labeling people PC police or SJWs. It's what they have done to feminists. The strategy is to take these things they are legitimately afraid of and make them seem ridiculous and mockworthy. That's why there's the dichotomy of mocking the "SJWs" as well as saying that they're "taking over."
  #36  
Old 04-14-2019, 10:05 PM
Chisquirrel is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak of Twilo View Post
How the HELL does being born to parents who were born on U.S soil and are U.S. citizens FROM BIRTH make her an immigrant? Or make her parents immigrants?

People born in Puerto Rico are natural-born citizens just as much as someone born in Texas or Alaska. Surely you know better than this.
She's brown, so she's obviously an immigrant. C'mon, we're not talking in facts here. Given that one poster has compared her to a bible-thumping racist with a ton of money and a distinct lack of melanin, reality is not the issue. She's a fever dream of the right.

Last edited by Chisquirrel; 04-14-2019 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Removed a nut
  #37  
Old 04-15-2019, 06:31 AM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 9,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
My point is, she fits the preconceived notion the same way such a GOP politician would fit a liberal preconceived notion. If you asked a conservative to draw up a preconceived notion of a Democratic villain, it would probably look something like AOC.
Conservatives have strange "villains"
  #38  
Old 04-15-2019, 06:33 AM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 9,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
It's not an obsession. It's a strategy. You hook on to somebody who looks like a rising star and you commence a firehouse of nonsense, both to paint that person as the personification of the other side while pasting on so much shit that it damages ēs* viability as the "perfect" candidate.

They did it very successfully with Hillary Clinton. As soon as she appeared on the national stage on 1992, the bullshit started and it continued nonstop for a quarter century. So a highly competent person with less than average ethical problems was burdened with the unshakeable identity of being a problematic figure with a history of scandal, no matter that that scandal was manufactured bullshit.

That's exactly what's happening now to Ocasio Cortes. If it doesn't cripple her early in her career and she survives to make it to the big leagues, she'll bear the burden of being a "divisive" and "controversial" Andrew "problematic" candidate and even people on the left will say "how could you possibly nominate our weakest candidate?"

At the same time she will become a symbol of all that is bad about the left.

*I'm experimenting with non-gendered pronouns.
Excellent analysis.
  #39  
Old 04-15-2019, 07:18 AM
Shodan is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 38,944
The world is coming to an end in twelve years, so they are publicizing her now while they've got the chance.

Or else she's young and pretty, far left, says outrageously stupid things and embarrasses the establishment liberals. What's not to like?

Regards,
Shodan
  #40  
Old 04-15-2019, 07:32 AM
RickJay is offline
Charter Jays Fan
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Oakville, Canada
Posts: 41,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
But I think another big thing (which you mention with her being young) is that a lot of conservatives know deep down inside that she will still be here in 20 years and they will not. The median age of a fox news viewer is almost 70, while AOC is 29. Deep down inside conservatives know in 20 years many of them will be dead and AOC won't even be 50 yet. She represents the fox news generation sliding into irrelevancy while the next generation take over and change America into something they don't like (a multicultural, multiracial, feminist nation with center left politics).
This isn't exactly on topic, but why do people keep repeating this weird idea that conservatism will age away? They've been saying it for decades and it hasn't happened yet. People get more conservative as they age, and as Fox news demonstrates, you can turn a mildly conservative person into a drooling reactionary.

I was hearing this "conservatives will age away" stuff thirty years ago, and in 2016 Donald Trump was elected President of the United States.
__________________
Providing useless posts since 1999!
  #41  
Old 04-15-2019, 07:40 AM
Horatius is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 1,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
Or else she's young and pretty, far left, says outrageously stupid things and embarrasses the establishment liberals. What's not to like?

Regards,
Shodan

You know, I have to wonder if the Fox News Obsession Strategy just might fail in this case.

Bear with me here.

As an outside-ish observer of US politics, I have to note that, absent Fox News and the other right-wing media harping on about her, I'd likely have never even heard of her. I'm pretty sure I couldn't name many other brand-new Representatives (the exception would probably be Ilhan Omar, who again, I probably only know about because of Fox News and their ilk). But, having heard of her, and looked at what she's actually talking about, it's clear to me that all the terms highlighted above are at best hyperbole.

Sure, she's leftist, but she's no further left than most Canadian politicians. She may have misspoken a few times, but I've never seen her say anything "outrageously stupid", particularly when compared to some of the things I've heard Republicans say, and in fact, most of what I've heard her say has been entirely reasonble. And I haven't heard of any of my Democratic friends who are "embarrassed" by her. In fact, they all seem to agree with the Foxpublican assessment that she's got a great future in the Democratic Party.

So, thanks largely to the Fox obsession with her, I see quite clearly that pretty much everything they say about her is complete bullshit.

Great plan, there, guys!

Last edited by Horatius; 04-15-2019 at 07:42 AM.
  #42  
Old 04-15-2019, 07:46 AM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 33,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
You know, I have to wonder if the Fox News Obsession Strategy just might fail in this case.

Bear with me here.

As an outside-ish observer of US politics, I have to note that, absent Fox News and the other right-wing media harping on about her, I'd likely have never even heard of her. I'm pretty sure I couldn't name many other brand-new Representatives (the exception would probably be Ilhan Omar, who again, I probably only know about because of Fox News and their ilk). But, having heard of her, and looked at what she's actually talking about, it's clear to me that all the terms highlighted above are at best hyperbole.

Sure, she's leftist, but she's no further left than most Canadian politicians. She may have misspoken a few times, but I've never seen her say anything "outrageously stupid", particularly when compared to some of the things I've heard Republicans say, and in fact, most of what I've heard her say has been entirely reasonble. And I haven't heard of any of my Democratic friends who are "embarrassed" by her. In fact, they all seem to agree with the Foxpublican assessment that she's got a great future in the Democratic Party.

So, thanks largely to the Fox obsession with her, I see quite clearly that pretty much everything they say about her is complete bullshit.

Great plan, there, guys!
This reminds me of the time a couple of weeks ago that my co-worker said that Cory Booker wanted to outlaw eating meat. That sounded utterly absurd to me, so I looked it up -- it turns out that he said pretty much the opposite, that eating meat is a personal choice and should never be banned, but he talked about the environmental impact of meat production. It turned me on to a very reasonable discussion Booker had had about the environment and our eating habits, and at the same time made me sad that a nice guy in my office is accepting, apparently without question, such easy-to-refute bullshit non-facts from conservative infotainment lie-factories.
  #43  
Old 04-15-2019, 08:01 AM
Jackmannii is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: the extreme center
Posts: 31,428
No need to overthink this.

Right-wingers focus heavily on Ocasio-Cortez and Ilhan Omar because they want them to be perceived as the new face of the Democratic Party. The more their far-out and/or bigoted statements can be emphasized, the more fear can be generated among voters. And as long as there's serious promotion of the Green New Deal, Supreme Court stacking, slavery reparations etc., they've got plenty of fuel.

Democrats (and Dopers) have often used this strategy to paint Republicans as extreme and dangerous (and frankly, there've been considerably more semi-loonies on that side of the aisle in recent years). I can recall countless threads here on dopes like Michele Bachmann ("See - that's what They are really like!").

It's a bonus now that Republicans can point to splits between the Democratic old guard and radicals, just as Democrats have gleefully exploited the divide between Trumpites and big business-as-usual GOPers.
  #44  
Old 04-15-2019, 08:04 AM
Ludovic is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: America's Wing
Posts: 29,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
I was hearing this "conservatives will age away" stuff thirty years ago, and in 2016 Donald Trump was elected President of the United States.
And here we are with same sex marriage, and legal weed and trans rights moving forward.
  #45  
Old 04-15-2019, 08:32 AM
BobLibDem is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Home 07 NCAA HockeyChamps
Posts: 21,180
Reich wing media loves to play on AOC and Omar because they represent the scary "other" that you can only protect yourself against by voting for the White Jesus Party. "See? AOC is whacky! That's what you get when you let those brown people in the country, sooner or later they get voted into office thanks to illegals voting and then they're so stupid they're going to fuck everything up! Keep voting white!" Or with Omar: "OMG, a Muslim! She's responsible for 9/11! She can't mention 9/11! OMG you gotta keep the perpetual victimhood alive by voting for the guy who bragged (falsely) about having the tallest building in NYC as the towers fell, who stole $150,000 in federal grants meant for small businesses impacted by 9/11, who falsely claimed to see Muslims celebrating in NJ, and who falsely claimed to have seen people jumping from the towers from miles away. That's the kind of true American wallowing in 9/11 that we want leading us, no some snooty Muslim!"
  #46  
Old 04-15-2019, 08:55 AM
Covfefe's Avatar
Covfefe is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,222
Some of the videos Tim Pool has made since 1/16/19:

Ocasio-Cortez Makes INSANE Gaffe, Democrats Are Panicking https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snHRm3u2rJ0
Ocasio-Cortez BREAKS From Democrats, REFUSES To Reopen Government https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL-9OGfh4Fk
Ocasio-Cortez GAFFES Then Gets Called out Then Gaffes AGAIN https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8vjEIbyL68
The Left and Ocasio-Cortez Stand With Antisemites, Total Hypocrites https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeiAzVrd1yA
Ocasio-Cortez Calls Out Tech Monopolies and I AGREE!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRwMSUtMqrc
Democrats Conspiring To REMOVE Ocasio-Cortez https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IyOQGSTSYQ
Ocasio Cortez Keeps Posting BS Stats On "Immigration" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NACJ2XcdLJ8
Democrat SHOCKED, LOSES $2 Billion as Wealthy FLEE High Taxes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p8d5Lc14AQ
Ocasio-Cortez Is Going INSANE, Is The Green New Deal A JOKE?! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWolyD-i19E
Ocasio Cortez Mocked Over INSANE Green New Deal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwcugddlsoU
Ocasio-Cortez Green New Deal Is SOCIALIST Trojan Horse https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NM6ftvc8-k
Democrats Plotting To REMOVE Alexandria Ocasio Cortez https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpO8byW7tUM
Ocasio-Cortez Staff In DAMAGE Control Over False Statements https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8bXBGjw5fM
Ocasio-Cortez Accused Of ETHICS Violation, Hiring Boyfriend https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiOMxS8bdBs
Ocasio-Cortez's Amazon Failure, She Doesn't Know BASIC Economics?! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KVdV6UjziQ
Ocasio-Cortez Is Dangerously Ignorant, Hurting Democrats https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq3FZ4FF0LE
Democrats SLAM Ocasio-Cortez Over Amazon Screw Up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIdj198u3R8
Ocasio-Cortez FRANTICALLY Defends Being Called Out Over Amazon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhOood1gKtY
They're Making An Ocasio-Cortez COMIC?! Top Tier CRINGE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq3LjuoWMns
Ocasio-Cortez Accused Of MULTIPLE Ethics Violations, Paying Boyfriend https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVAiTPDhAY8
Ocasio Cortez Says "WE'RE IN CHARGE" then INSULTS People for being "Cheap" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DelJra2Zc3s
CNN Host SLAMS Ocasio-Cortez For Saying INSANE Things https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQfTzJAfKPE
Ocasio-Cortez's INSANE Green New Deal Costs $93 TRILLION https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaiqMMel76U
Ocasio-Cortez Is A Spoiled Narcissist And Exposed her True Colors https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCC6PcrhlhI
Far Left Democrats Declare WAR On Moderates Threatening The Democratic Party https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLgji_iSig4
Ocasio-Cortez HIT By FEC Complaint For "Laundering Money To Her Boyfriend" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0hYAJAfBjc
GreenPeace Founder SLAMS Ocasio-Cortez As Pompous TWIT https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5oABx1j8PU
Ocasio-Cortez SLAMMED For Green New Deal HYPOCRISY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWA9gSqY7bI
Ocasio-Cortez Facing JAIL Over ILLEGAL Campaign Slush Fund??! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-w5hAI09_Y
Ocasio-Cortez Derangement Syndrome Hits CNN Too??! Will The AOC Bump replace Trump? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5WMmnS1iBg
Ocasio-Cortez Hit With ANOTHER ETHICS VIOLATION Complaint https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT95me4_5lU
Ocasio-Cortez HIT With FOURTH Ethics Complaint??! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lie2Tzgvgaw
New York Facing BANKRUPTCY Due To High Taxes??! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hvon7qQCgbk
MAJOR Labor Unions DENOUNCE Ocasio-Cortez's Green New Deal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUpgydVOZv0
Far Left SHOCKED To Find MOST Americans Dislike Ocasio-Cortez https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMbOqwBQEcI
Wealthy Far left "Woke" Activists Pretend to Be Poor, Blame Working Class https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anjh-qOd4RM
Ocasio Cortez's Green New Deal Vote Expected To FAIL (UPDATE, It Did) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Bgw0tML_4g
Ocasio-Cortez EXTREMELY Unpopular Across US, New Polls Reveal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aarVVdHbr5s
Ocasio-Cortez Accused Of Dark Money Scheme In NEW Complaint https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL9w73iflCE
Ocasio-Cortez INSULTED As "Financially Illiterate" At Event SHE Spoke At https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bZUm30BdxU
Ocasio-Cortez Constituents Are NOT Happy, Democrats BLACKLIST Her Former PAC https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhAnzYglduc
Democrat "Woke Contest" Guarantees Trump 2020 BLOWOUT Victory https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVbgFEONplc
  #47  
Old 04-15-2019, 10:00 AM
Airbeck is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Chicago - South Side
Posts: 2,664
This guy Tim Pool seems like a lunatic. And definitely obsessed to an insane degree.
__________________
"Sometimes I think that the surest sign of intelligent life in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin and Hobbes
  #48  
Old 04-15-2019, 11:46 AM
UltraVires is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bridgeport, WV, US
Posts: 15,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
You know, I have to wonder if the Fox News Obsession Strategy just might fail in this case.

Bear with me here.

As an outside-ish observer of US politics, I have to note that, absent Fox News and the other right-wing media harping on about her, I'd likely have never even heard of her. I'm pretty sure I couldn't name many other brand-new Representatives (the exception would probably be Ilhan Omar, who again, I probably only know about because of Fox News and their ilk). But, having heard of her, and looked at what she's actually talking about, it's clear to me that all the terms highlighted above are at best hyperbole.

Sure, she's leftist, but she's no further left than most Canadian politicians. She may have misspoken a few times, but I've never seen her say anything "outrageously stupid", particularly when compared to some of the things I've heard Republicans say, and in fact, most of what I've heard her say has been entirely reasonble. And I haven't heard of any of my Democratic friends who are "embarrassed" by her. In fact, they all seem to agree with the Foxpublican assessment that she's got a great future in the Democratic Party.

So, thanks largely to the Fox obsession with her, I see quite clearly that pretty much everything they say about her is complete bullshit.

Great plan, there, guys!
You aren't the target audience for the attacks. It is the moderates who are scared of such rhetoric. The far left love her, but they will never vote Republican anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
This reminds me of the time a couple of weeks ago that my co-worker said that Cory Booker wanted to outlaw eating meat. That sounded utterly absurd to me, so I looked it up -- it turns out that he said pretty much the opposite, that eating meat is a personal choice and should never be banned, but he talked about the environmental impact of meat production. It turned me on to a very reasonable discussion Booker had had about the environment and our eating habits, and at the same time made me sad that a nice guy in my office is accepting, apparently without question, such easy-to-refute bullshit non-facts from conservative infotainment lie-factories.
This is no different than saying that Trump is a Nazi or that Republicans want children and the elderly to die in the streets. Parties take positions and distort them for low information voters. Nothing new here.

This is also to be expected when the discussion from those on the far left seem to imply that certain steps need to be taken against farming livestock.
  #49  
Old 04-15-2019, 11:53 AM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 33,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
This is no different than saying that Trump is a Nazi or that Republicans want children and the elderly to die in the streets. Parties take positions and distort them for low information voters. Nothing new here.
Agreed -- nothing new. But what's sad is that my coworker, who's a decent and seemingly intelligent guy, glommed onto this complete nonsense with no apparent reticence or skepticism whatsoever.

Quote:
This is also to be expected when the discussion from those on the far left seem to imply that certain steps need to be taken against farming livestock.
Like a carbon tax or similar? It's not reasonable to consider a carbon tax, or any similar policy, anything close to a ban on eating (or producing) meat.
  #50  
Old 04-15-2019, 12:11 PM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is online now
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 60,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
This is also to be expected when the discussion from those on the far left seem to imply that certain steps need to be taken against farming livestock.
Raping them? Breaking their legs? Forcing them to watch a Pauly Shore marathon? Send them to bed without supper?
Would you mind telling us what the hell you are referring to?
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017