Old 05-13-2019, 08:52 AM
Embracing the Suck
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimstu View Post
(Although I suppose members of the legislature could technically pass legal measures to decriminalize marital rape, which in practice would accomplish the same thing, at least to the extent that husbands would once again run no risk of legal penalties for forcing their wives to have sex against their will.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
The problem with a sex strike is that if this becomes a serious thing, Georgia will probably just legalize rape.
Then the guy better learn to sleep with his eyes open ... my husband or SO who rapes me will be dead, or at best castrated. <wonders how fast it would wake a guy up with that rubber band snaps tight>
Old 05-13-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairobscur View Post
No, because these people are unlikely to have any influence on which law passes.
Well, let pro-life men go without anyway, because, frankly and ironically, fuck those guys.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
As amusing as Milano's suggestion is, I agree that it's not remotely practicable. She would do better to push for Insatiable to be filmed elsewhere if she wants to have a real impact.
Film and TV productions are already doing this: https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/201...ortion-ban-law

Apparently, Insatiable is currently obligated to remain in Georgia at this time.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
Only the fifth decade?
And can we finally go back to putting the toilet seat down and not waiting until half an hour before the mall closes on Feb. 13th to buy Valentineís Day gifts, that doesnít seem to be working either.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:13 AM

You know that somewhere there's got to be some conservative woman who is purposefully having more sex with her conservative husband these days after reading about this, just to flout the strike.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:00 PM

If it does catch on men can just go on a "Killing Bugs strike" and women will fold faster than superman on laundry.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:26 PM

well with things like this going on they've got to do something to keep their rights ...https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/st...AABeLwV#page=2
Old 05-13-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddleglum View Post
If it does catch on men can just go on a "Killing Bugs strike" and women will fold faster than superman on laundry.
I (female) am generally the one in my household carefully removing the spider, wasp, or whatever. Sometimes I'm doing it to oblige a man who's not about to go near it.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
I (female) am generally the one in my household carefully removing the spider, wasp, or whatever. Sometimes I'm doing it to oblige a man who's not about to go near it.
Yeah, if men in general did go on a "Killing Bugs strike" I think they might be somewhat dismayed to find out how much of the terrified begging for their assistance was mostly or entirely a performance designed to pamper their egos.

(Hmm, maybe I shouldn't have revealed that in mixed company, but at least we haven't let on about the jar-lids thing, right?)

Last edited by Kimstu; 05-13-2019 at 02:10 PM.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:10 PM

All for the best, I say. Those wasps and spiders should live; they're beneficial to the environment and for bug-killing. (Well, most of them)
Old 05-13-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
You know that somewhere there's got to be some conservative woman who is purposefully having more sex with her conservative husband these days after reading about this, just to flout the strike.
Sounds good to me.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:14 PM

Why is everyone assuming that Alyssa is referring to women in committed relationships? I read her suggestion as primarily applying to single women in the dating scene.

Having a majority of the cut women you date say "Your really sweet, and thanks for dinner and all but until they repeal HR XYZ, I'm afraid that this evenings activities will be literally restricted to Netflix and chill." might convince some men who are not particularly politically active consider writing their legislator. On the other hand it could just swell the numbers of the Incel set.

Last edited by Buck Godot; 05-13-2019 at 03:15 PM.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:27 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
Why is everyone assuming that Alyssa is referring to women in committed relationships? I read her suggestion as primarily applying to single women in the dating scene.

Having a majority of the cut women you date say "Your really sweet, and thanks for dinner and all but until they repeal HR XYZ, I'm afraid that this evenings activities will be literally restricted to Netflix and chill." might convince some men who are not particularly politically active consider writing their legislator. On the other hand it could just swell the numbers of the Incel set.
Speaking just for myself as someone on the dating scene if I met someone who tied the chance for sex to any type of political cause I would write them off a being a complete loon and move on. Writing a legislator wouldnít enter my mind.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
Having a majority of the cut women you date say "Your really sweet, and thanks for dinner and all but until they repeal HR XYZ, I'm afraid that this evenings activities will be literally restricted to Netflix and chill." might convince some men who are not particularly politically active consider writing their legislator.
More likely, it would lead the men to wonder what other sort of bargaining and negotiation lies ahead. I mean, "need to do chores in order to have sex" is an age-old trope, but this takes it to new extents. "No sex until Schumer gets the votes or McConnell stops his filibuster, dear".
Old 05-13-2019, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
Speaking just for myself as someone on the dating scene if I met someone who tied the chance for sex to any type of political cause I would write them off a being a complete loon and move on. Writing a legislator wouldnít enter my mind.
For me as well. How much of what we do will have these external conditions attached to it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milano
Until women have legal control over our own bodies we just cannot risk pregnancy
JOIN ME by not having sex until we get bodily autonomy back.
The obvious response to which is: "So, a blow job's fine, then, since you wouldn't be risking pregnancy unless you're a very modern kind of Mother Mary?"

It might still be a good way of drawing attention to the offending law although it further lowers the level of discourse which can be expected from the GOP but I was hoping it wouldn't spread too much on my side.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Speaking just for myself as someone on the dating scene if I met someone who tied the chance for sex to any type of political cause I would write them off a being a complete loon and move on.
Well, if you'd ever had other people's political causes severely impacting the potential consequences that sex could have for your life, you might not be so dismissive about it.

I mean, I get it that it would be weird for a date to say that you personally should be deprived of sex until you manage to get some law or other changed. But it's not at all weird for a woman to think that sex in general just seems a lot less worth the risk when the chance of unwanted consequences increases drastically. Worrying about what could happen if you got an STD or got pregnant, and realizing that your government is openly hostile towards your reproductive autonomy, is really not a sexy feeling.

It is kind of weird that so many male posters in this thread seem to be focusing so much on what they see as the unfairness of men being deprived of sex, and not empathizing at all with the outrage and fear that's causing women even to consider the prospect of renouncing sex.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:18 PM

A sex strike is doomed from the start. History is filled with stories of sex that should not have happened because of societal principals, and society is full of people who are here because of that. Sex happens, despite the best and worst intentions, thus children happen, and life goes on.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Well, if you'd ever had other people's political causes severely impacting the potential consequences that sex could have for your life, you might not be so dismissive about it.

I mean, I get it that it would be weird for a date to say that you personally should be deprived of sex until you manage to get some law or other changed. But it's not at all weird for a woman to think that sex in general just seems a lot less worth the risk when the chance of unwanted consequences increases drastically. Worrying about what could happen if you got an STD or got pregnant, and realizing that your government is openly hostile towards your reproductive autonomy, is really not a sexy feeling.

It is kind of weird that so many male posters in this thread seem to be focusing so much on what they see as the unfairness of men being deprived of sex, and not empathizing at all with the outrage and fear that's causing women even to consider the prospect of renouncing sex.
I'm pretty sure I hate the Georgia bill; It's a Georgia bill about abortion. It's part of the same dishonest tactics the nastiest part of the US has been pulling ever since Jim Crow: They want to assert power, control and superiority over others, pick a less powerful group and start making up bullshit rules to confuse, belittle, ostracize, intimidate and disempower them. You saw the same tactic deployed to suppress the black vote by having testing requirements for voting which are, on their face, reasonable but are deliberately, calculatedly designed to discriminate.

I'm still not sure that Milano's way of bringing attention to that will be more good than bad. It may be. At this point, I'm really not sure.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:32 PM

Legalizing prostitution would be fast tracked.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
Legalizing prostitution would be fast tracked.
See what I mean? The response is strategic: How would men undertake to circumvent this unjust attempt by women to deprive them of sex?

The thought Why are women upset enough about this legislation to consider giving up sex over it? doesn't even seem to make it onto the radar.

Last edited by Kimstu; 05-13-2019 at 05:36 PM.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
See what I mean? The response is strategic: How would men undertake to circumvent this unjust attempt by women to deprive them of sex?

The thought Why are women upset enough about this legislation to consider giving up sex over it? doesn't even seem to make it onto the radar.
Well, you're talking to an octopus. I've learned from my Japanese readings that they tend to be pretty focused on sex.

Can all the men in the thread raise their hands to show Kimstu that we're aware that the Georgia law and Alabama bill are reprehensible?

Last edited by MichaelEmouse; 05-13-2019 at 05:58 PM.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:11 PM

What I found most odd was her inference that abstinence is possible. We've been told for decades that people are going to have sex and here's Milano trying to get women to stop en masse. She's kinda stepping on the talking points.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:

Why would someone give power to a threat by allowing it to work instead of neutralizing it? Quite a bit of life is figuring out what the unintended consequences to a decision are or would be.

And you make the assumption that women are a monolithic group. They are not. And if time with with some women is unpleasant due to political realities find other women. Furthermore, the idea that womenís only leverage in politics comes from the use of a vagina instead of the use of a rational mind that is capable of advocating a winning strategy should be anachronistic.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:50 PM

Milano is basically saying all women are prostitutes. Give me X or you won't get sex.

In fact why not extend the sex strike to a universal basic income for all women? Or free healthcare for all women? Or free college education for all women? These are important issues as well.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:42 PM

Projection is a helluva drug.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:29 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I have been reading about this news story on various news sites and blogs all day, and — seriously — the Straight Dope is the first place I’ve seen anyone cite Aristophanes.

Yay us.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
I have been reading about this news story on various news sites and blogs all day, and ó seriously ó the Straight Dope is the first place Iíve seen anyone cite Aristophanes.

Yay us.
Aristophanes was just mentioned on Tucker Carlson's show by Mark Steyn.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post
What I found most odd was her inference that abstinence is possible. We've been told for decades that people are going to have sex and here's Milano trying to get women to stop en masse. She's kinda stepping on the talking points.
no there's an oblique quote in there that reminds women they can have the same sexual gratification without males involved aka who needs men when you have a Hitachi magic wand and a 12 pack od c batteries?

Last edited by nightshadea; 05-13-2019 at 09:17 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

It isn't a matter of unfairness, it's a matter of having a fucked up mentality. If you think that sex is a bargaining chip, and something you sell to your SO in exchange for good behavior, then clearly you are interested neither in having sex with him nor in having a constructive relationship with him. You're an outer. There are women out there who will offer a much more straightforward and honest deal (like sex in exchange for $ 200) if sex is to be just a commodity. I'd take that any day over this "no sex if you don't do X" nonsense.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:31 AM

This reminds me of years ago when some straight people were refusing to get married because gays were not allowed to. This was frustrating because one partner (say the woman) wanted a ring but her fiancee said no because he wanted to show solidarity to his gay friends.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:59 AM

I'm not sure why conservatives would be bothered by this anyway. After all, whenever women raise the topics of contraception and abortion as key elements in women's health and family planning, the conservative response has tended to be "WHY DON'T YOU JUST KEEP YOUR LEGS TOGETHER, YOU DISGUSTING SLUTS! MAYBE IF YOU WEREN'T SUCH WANTON HARLOTS THIS WOULDN'T BE AN ISSUE!".

So, you know, this is what they've been asking for all along.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Well, asking you to write your legislator before sex might be too much, but what about a conversation about birth control before sex?

Would you tell a potential mate that if she got pregnant, you would expect her to carry the child to term or would you tell her the choice would be up to her?

I think that's really the point.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
I'm not sure why conservatives would be bothered by this anyway. After all, whenever women raise the topics of contraception and abortion as key elements in women's health and family planning, the conservative response has tended to be "WHY DON'T YOU JUST KEEP YOUR LEGS TOGETHER, YOU DISGUSTING SLUTS! MAYBE IF YOU WEREN'T SUCH WANTON HARLOTS THIS WOULDN'T BE AN ISSUE!".

So, you know, this is what they've been asking for all along.
Just what I was thinking.

Politics aside, without access to abortion, there's no way I'd engage in PiV sex with anyone who hadn't signed on to help rear my children. (nor with anyone I wasn't comfortable partnering with for the ~20 years it takes to fledge a young human.) So yeah, if I were younger and unmarried, this law would put a pretty big damper on my sex life. But I imagine the people who support the law are fine with that.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:44 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

I really think you guys are oversimplifying this into some sort of transactional event.

It should, instead, be perceived as one of values. Just this simple:

"Girls don't bang boys who hate girls."

It really is as simple as that. Want to control women? It's possible women might not want to be around you. Want to punish women for seeking autonomy? It's just a thing that might not be a turn on for some women.

Perceiving it, as so many seem to, as 'they're trying to make us do something' is to again fall into the trap that women somehow owe men sex and are therefore denying men something they should have.

Yes, women enjoy sex. So I have been lucky enough to be informed. But it's just likely women might also enjoy fundamental rights and freedoms to control their own destiny. Is it really a surprise that those who would deny those rights might be found less attractive to some women?

Seriously, are we really having this discussion? Would it be a surprise if some women didn't want to fuck a neo-nazi? Or an avowed racist? No, that would absolutely be their perogative, wouldn't it?

Really, the backlash to Milano's statement strikes me as some people getting upset that there could, possibly, maybe, in a sort of way, be consequences for their actions. I find myself unsympathetic to that view.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by not what you'd expect View Post
Well, asking you to write your legislator before sex might be too much, but what about a conversation about birth control before sex?

Would you tell a potential mate that if she got pregnant, you would expect her to carry the child to term or would you tell her the choice would be up to her?

I think that's really the point.
I've told before how I would have lost my virginity several years before when I actually did if it wasn't for this:
He: Ö some variant of "wanna go someplace we can take our clothes off?"
Me: your condoms or mine?
He: oh, I don't use that shit.
Me: Oh. OK then. Bye.
He: Uh? Oh! Uh, don't leave, I'll go get some!
Me: No, no, don't bother. Not interested.

Fastest way to cool yours truly down.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
They aren't. Milano is a fruitcake; no one is taking her seriously, or needs to.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 05-14-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
Milano is a fruitcake; no one is taking her seriously, or needs to.

Regards,
Shodan
So, who's the boss?
Old 05-14-2019, 09:04 AM

I wouldn't say I am upset about this latest example of liberal foolishness, like it reveals a deep flaw in Dems chances. Let's just say "concerned". Leave it at that.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
They aren't.
To be specific - they (for a given value of "they") are not by and large considering "giving up sex" because of the legislation. They are, however, upset about the legislation.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:13 AM

A very wise man once told me this anecdote: "My wife said she was gonna cut me off if I spend any more money on the car. I told her she couldn't cut me off if she didn't know where I was getting it."

Where there is a Strike, there will always be Scabs.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAZombie View Post
Milano is basically saying all women are prostitutes. Give me X or you won't get sex.
Quite the opposite. As it is, women generally have standards; they aren't gonna have sex with just anybody. (Sorry, incels; you're out of luck.) This is, "if you're not against this Georgia law, you flunk my standards."
Old 05-14-2019, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
I have been reading about this news story on various news sites and blogs all day, and ó seriously ó the Straight Dope is the first place Iíve seen anyone cite Aristophanes.

Yay us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Covfefe View Post
Aristophanes was just mentioned on Tucker Carlson's show by Mark Steyn.
Seriously? Tucker Carlson?

You been slumming, Covfefe?
Old 05-14-2019, 09:28 AM

Exactly, why is it so hard for people to see that this is really a matter of women revealing the standards they're setting?
Old 05-14-2019, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Aren’t those a symptom that suggests you really shouldn’t be getting too carried away?

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 05-14-2019 at 09:35 AM.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Lesions are a dealbreaker for me though.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:08 AM

In one fell swoop, Milano got people talking about the Georgia law that otherwise might have slid under the national radar, calculated to make the incels and the pro-life froth at the mouth (oh, they say they are "LMAO"ing and rolling their eyes. Don't you believe it. They are pissed as hell.) People are going to take a second (or first) look at this law now. Mission accomplished.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
I really think you guys are oversimplifying this into some sort of transactional event.

It should, instead, be perceived as one of values. Just this simple:

"Girls don't bang boys who hate girls."

It really is as simple as that. Want to control women? It's possible women might not want to be around you. Want to punish women for seeking autonomy? It's just a thing that might not be a turn on for some women.

Perceiving it, as so many seem to, as 'they're trying to make us do something' is to again fall into the trap that women somehow owe men sex and are therefore denying men something they should have.

Yes, women enjoy sex. So I have been lucky enough to be informed. But it's just likely women might also enjoy fundamental rights and freedoms to control their own destiny. Is it really a surprise that those who would deny those rights might be found less attractive to some women?

Seriously, are we really having this discussion? Would it be a surprise if some women didn't want to fuck a neo-nazi? Or an avowed racist? No, that would absolutely be their perogative, wouldn't it?

Really, the backlash to Milano's statement strikes me as some people getting upset that there could, possibly, maybe, in a sort of way, be consequences for their actions. I find myself unsympathetic to that view.
Itís simplistic and grossly inaccurate to state that the only folks who are opposed to abortion are women hating men.

Iím married and political concessions for sexual transactions has never been brought up and either of us would think the other a tad bit nutty if it were.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:15 AM

And that's fine. But the choice to sleep with you is your wife's and no one else's. But she has the choice just as you have the choice - based on any criteria you choose - to decide not to sleep with her.

And yes, the concept of women-hating-men is fanciful. But it's a quick and dirty way to define things. It could as easily be 'women don't want to sleep with men who want to control women or deny them autonomy'.

We as a society - and in this discussion - continuing to define sex as transactional when instead it should be a matter of personal preference. It's not a matter of a man getting laid because he says the right thing and that means women will sleep with him. It's a matter of women finding attractive men who respect their ability to be their own people.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
And that's fine. But the choice to sleep with you is your wife's and no one else's. But she has the choice just as you have the choice - based on any criteria you choose - to decide not to sleep with her.

And yes, the concept of women-hating-men is fanciful. But it's a quick and dirty way to define things. It could as easily be 'women don't want to sleep with men who want to control women or deny them autonomy'.

We as a society - and in this discussion - continuing to define sex as transactional when instead it should be a matter of personal preference. It's not a matter of a man getting laid because he says the right thing and that means women will sleep with him. It's a matter of women finding attractive men who respect their ability to be their own people.
I understand that. Itís just that all law restricts someoneís ability to do something and thatís a loss of autonomy. These forms of control or restrictions are not all motivated by hate. Even concerning abortion a lot of the feelings about the subject donít originate from hate. They originate because of a value system either imposed by religious belief or as a logical conclusion from a set of moral axioms that fetal life has intrinsic value. I think that different opinions can be had that are absent of hatred as an origin.

The reason sex in this thread is being treated as transactional is because that is what Ms. Milano started. Not exactly in those terms but there is a clear quid pro quo. Sex is to be used as an incentive. Those arenít my words. Now, realistically, there is commonly a transactional element to sex so Iím not sure why that aspect of sexual relations is dismissed.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Would it be a surprise if some women didn't want to fuck a neo-nazi? Or an avowed racist? No, that would absolutely be their perogative, wouldn't it?
But Milano is talking about withholding sex from all men, not just ones who support the new Georgia law. That's what make the whole idea seem a little nutty to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMurdock View Post
In one fell swoop, Milano got people talking about the Georgia law that otherwise might have slid under the national radar, calculated to make the incels and the pro-life froth at the mouth (oh, they say they are "LMAO"ing and rolling their eyes. Don't you believe it. They are pissed as hell.) People are going to take a second (or first) look at this law now. Mission accomplished.
Or maybe not. Good point, Captain.