Old 03-10-2019, 07:50 PM

A bad, bad, bad thing has caused beckdawrek to fret.

I live in the woods, you see. There is virtually nothing out here but deer camps.(and me). About 7 miles away there's a old liquor store. The old coot who runs it only has beer in any quatity. A few old dusty bottles of hard stuff. Except Jack Daniels, He drinks that so there is always Jack available. No candy, chips, crackers. Nada. He had a few outdated cans of potted meat and coke that has been there so long the cans are vintage. Thats it.
There's a crossroads of the state highways about 12 miles from me. Son-of-a-wrek and family lives close to there. At the crossroads there's a country market. A nice clean little place. Their prices are a little precious, if you run out of TP it don't matter how much, I guess. The meat market is stellar. They have their own sausage mix that's great. Again, pricey. I love that little store. Any where else I go is 37miles one direction and 24 the other. So, I count on the little store. I knew their schedule and who worked there. It is altogether a good thing. Guess what? Just take a guess. Yep. Went out of business. Not enough patrons.
I now live in the richest country in the world and I live in a food desert. I never believed this could happen to me.
Even here. Where there is nothing. Wal-Mart has priced out and run off my little market.
It's a bad, bad, bad day in beckdawrek's little world.
Old 03-10-2019, 08:52 PM

Richest country in the world? ��
Old 03-10-2019, 08:56 PM

Time to stock up when you go to town, I guess.

Too bad about the butcher shop. A really truly good one can be very hard to find, even in a big city.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:24 PM

I am a stocker-upper hoarder type, anyway. I've lived out here long enough to gage what I'll need. I will miss the meat market alot. I have been buying the sausage every time I stopped in and they had some out. I have a few pounds in the freezer. But, man this is just discouraging.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:34 PM

What, even Amazon won’t deliver there?
Old 03-10-2019, 09:44 PM

Nope. I have to drive to the little town (24mi) to the post office. FedEX will bring to my rural route box but no further. It's a good ways from my front door. I don't trust any package there. We have done it, but rarely. UPS won't even come down the county road because it's unimproved ,(slippy, sandy, gravel)

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 03-10-2019 at 09:48 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:13 PM

Hey, I dated Sandy Gravel in high school!

I'm going, I'm going.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:26 PM

^^I bet she just rocked your world.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:26 PM

Hey, wait. I think this is a sign... you're going to run your very own General Store!

That was a childhood dream of mine... old guys playing cards on top of the peanut barrel, impromptu jam sessions on the rocking chair-filled porch. And I'd stock whatever I wanted: "The dash-mounted roach clips? Between the handmade mandolins and the Millennium Falcon treehouse kits. Here, have a Circus Peanut."
Old 03-10-2019, 11:25 PM

Obviously you should be doing the whole self-sufficiency/living off the land thing. Teach your dogs to hunt. What's the fishing like around there? You should have a huge garden and raise chickens, hogs, sheep... Have a milk cow you can milk every day... On the other hand some people like goat milk...
Old 03-10-2019, 11:52 PM

^^The only thing on your list that I don't have or do is milk a cow. I don't want anything I cannot bring indoors if we ever have a blizzard. I know the odds are slim. But I worry. Hunting and fishing is all Mr.Wrekker does in his retirement. He has a beagle hunting pack. And all the accoutrement needed to hunt for years. I grow a big garden and preserve and can a bunch.
It's just the principle of the thing. And, God I love that sausage. It's called 'bacon sausage. It tastes just like you think it should. I swear I'm gonna hunt that butcher down. I bet he will go somewhere to ply his trade. Beckda-sherlock is on the case. The games afoot.

ETA my son came here awhile ago. He came to borrow cornmeal and get eggs. He's already missing the store. He always gets eggs from my chickens. But the cornmeal was something he woulda got at the store.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 03-10-2019 at 11:57 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:22 AM

Put in an acre or so of field corn. I think the Vita-Mix can grind it down to cornmeal for you!

I sympathize. We're about 30 miles in either direction to a town big enough for a store. The little ink dot where our post office is located is about 24 miles away. We got ten different ways of crazy when a Family Dollar opened across the street from the post office!

30 miles to a dinky Safeway, over 50 miles to WallyWorld, and the huge, exciting event is to drive over 100 miles to Sam's Club!

So, yeah, you got to plan ahead. Or you damn well eat what you have on hand!

I'm sorry your little market with the incredible sausage is no more, Beck.

~VOW
Old 03-11-2019, 12:40 AM

Peeps don't realize there are still remote places in the lower 48. I hear you about the Family Dollar. My little town got a Dollar General last year. You woulda thought it was the Pyramids going up. Alas it's still 24 miles from me. I go to the bigger town to Walmart about once a month.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 03-11-2019 at 12:45 AM.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:13 AM
Charter Member

Every day she makes her coffee and checks the SDMB,
Posts a lot in Thread Games and avoids checking GD,
It's just another day.

Putting on her clothes, stepping into shoes,
Ensuring her wallet's in her raincoat,
It's just another day.

At the Walmart thirty miles away, she finds a deal,
Figures gas costs and finds it's an expensive meal,
It's just another day....
Old 03-11-2019, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoons View Post
Every day she makes her coffee and checks the SDMB,
Posts a lot in Thread Games and avoids checking GD,
It's just another day.

Putting on her clothes, stepping into shoes,
Ensuring her wallet's in her raincoat,
It's just another day.

At the Walmart thirty miles away, she finds a deal,
Figures gas costs and finds it's an expensive meal,
It's just another day....
I love it. That makes me feel better. TY.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:24 AM

Eat Mo' Possum*

*This was a bumper-sticker on our '73 Thunderbird when I was growing up. Didn't make sense then, doesn't make much sense now. Except for you.

Oh, and Sedona Orange Metalllic
Old 03-11-2019, 02:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
I love it. That makes me feel better. TY.
You are quite welcome, Beck. It was fun to do.
Old 03-11-2019, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Eat Mo' Possum*

*This was a bumper-sticker on our '73 Thunderbird when I was growing up. Didn't make sense then, doesn't make much sense now. Except for you.

Oh, and Sedona Orange Metalllic
Now you know. My Daddy had a Thunderbird. Can't remember the year model. It was very dark green.

(SOM)
Old 03-11-2019, 05:25 AM
Charter Member

But was he crazy 'bout a Mercury?
Was he crazy 'bout a Mercury?
Was he gonna buy him a Mercury and cruise it up and down the roads?
Old 03-11-2019, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Doesn't Mr. Haney come by every day to sell you stuff?
Old 03-11-2019, 08:26 AM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

I thought Tull was isolated. One lane bridges over the Saline river, and guys driving over them at fifty to get to a wet county.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:43 AM

Not as remote as Beck I guess, but we don't get mail delivery. I could ask UPS/FedX ect. to deliver, but it's not worth it. We've had 5 feet of snow in the last two weeks. I don't want to put them through that. We have a UPS box in town for that. About $300 a year but really really worth it.

We have a little Mom and Pop store about 5 miles away. No vegies or fruit, but oddly gets the best beef. Local stuff. Next close place to shop for anything is about 15 miles away. I just make sure I have stuff at home and also grocery shop on my way home from work. That is getting worse and worse because the powers that be want to stuff as many people in that town as possible. Ski area, getting really crowded.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:51 AM

I'm sure some people are thinking "Ahhh... solitude". But reading this thread, I've never been happier to be able to walk to almost any store I need.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:13 AM

There are definitely pros and cons. At this point, I couldn't live anywhere else. I'm kinda fond of the place. It's my own safe harbor. Funny, I'm agoraphobic. Being nested here may have contributed to that. I don't care. It's where I want to be, always.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 03-11-2019 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:27 AM

Do your sisters come over and you all hang out in the water tower waiting for the Hooterville Express?
Old 03-11-2019, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

Get you a book on how to make sausage, then buy a few pork shoulders to cut up and freeze, and start experimenting. Or just buy bulk ground pork like I do, and eliminate the grinding part of the equation. I make my own Italian and breakfast sausage when I'm feeling energetic, and it's dead easy, especially if you don't use casings and just go for patties. I'm betting you could come up with your own tasty bacon sausage very quickly.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

Beck's theme song:

https://youtu.be/LY6NuuXihXk
Old 03-11-2019, 10:33 AM

I have 5 sisters. But we don't have double names. I wish that train came through here, that would be cool.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:40 AM

Man, you guys are reminding me how crowded most of Europe is. Some of the descriptions in this thread make the rural areas of little village, little village, little village… often within walking distance of each other, and of people looking for rides with a thumb up in the air, look like metropolises which simply happen to be a little bit spread out.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I have 5 sisters. But we don't have double names. I wish that train came through here, that would be cool.
Smokestack lightning.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

Get a freezer, Dude. And a reliable source of electricity. Problem solved.

Long ago, when I was stationed at the Oakland Army Terminal, our commissary was busiest on Saturdays, when many retired military made a monthly trip from the Sierra or Tahoe mountain remoteness to stock up on essentials. They enjoyed their isolation and economy living, and with a full freezer and pantry, had few worries.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Beck - I'm not nearly as isolated as you, but it's 10 miles to the nearest grocery (8 to Dollar General). Fortunately, I've got good neighbors. Or I should say, I'm a good neighbor, because the borrowing always seems to go one way. And there's no problem asking to pick up something if you're in town.

StG
Old 03-11-2019, 12:47 PM

Got all the freezers I need, I have 3. I can usually get what I need when I go in to town. It's the principle of the thing. I liked that little store. Except the one aisle that was cursed. It had a strobing fluorescent light. I used to report it to the store owner. They just laughed demonically when I did. Whatever was down that aisle stayed there. Nope. Never went down it. It was especially creepy when It was close to closing time and you were the only shopper. Eeekkk.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 03-11-2019 at 12:50 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Got all the freezers I need, I have 3. I can usually get what I need when I go in to town. It's the principle of the thing. I liked that little store. Except the one aisle that was cursed. It had a strobing fluorescent light. I used to report it to the store owner. They just laughed demonically when I did. Whatever was down that aisle stayed there. Nope. Never went down it. It was especially creepy when It was close to closing time and you were the only shopper. Eeekkk.
Oh, this is an entirely different scenario:

Beck: Why, this store is closed! I can't believe it!

Random local geezer passing by: Store? There hasn't been a store here in 50 years, ever since old Ebeneezer Stokes choked on some okra and died in Aisle 3.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:16 PM

I have to admit I was the only shopper many times. Does this mean my favorite sausage* was just a figment of my cursed imaginings?
I may need to see a doctor.
I can't wait to tell the Doc about the Dope. I might need to be confined for my own safety.
*everybody knows, bacon is bacon and sausage is sausage.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 03-11-2019 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelliebly View Post
Oh, this is an entirely different scenario:

Beck: Why, this store is closed! I can't believe it!

Random local geezer passing by: Store? There hasn't been a store here in 50 years, ever since old Ebeneezer Stokes choked on some okra and died in Aisle 3.
You can't choke on okra, it just slide right on down.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
Hah, you can sure choke on it the way I cook it
Oh shit. I just remembered my icecream eating will be curtailed this summer. Man, oh, man. This is getting awful close to being disastrous.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 03-11-2019 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Were you the Lunch Counter Lady at Franklin elementary?
Old 03-11-2019, 01:46 PM

I feel your pain, Beck. I live half a mile from the nearest Burger King, sushi joint, and pretty good Mexican place. How I survive is a testament to my strength of character.
posted by logicpunk at 10:07 AM on December 20, 2007 [3 favorites]
Old 03-11-2019, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Oh shit. I just remembered my icecream eating will be curtailed this summer. Man, oh, man. This is getting awful close to being disastrous.
Time to buy another freezer. Or make your own on a daily basis.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Now if you had a cow here are some Youtube videos on making ice cream from raw milk:
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...cream+raw+milk
Old 03-11-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
I don't want anything I cannot bring indoors if we ever have a blizzard. I know the odds are slim. But I worry.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PastTense View Post
Now if you had a cow here are some Youtube videos on making ice cream from raw milk:
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...cream+raw+milk
Methinks someone needs a small barn.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
Methinks someone needs a small barn.
A place for you to praise the pig.
Old 03-11-2019, 03:59 PM

Got many outbuildings and a big ol' barn. They don't have heat. Cold as crap out there. Seriously I don't need big lifestock. I get too attached. In the event of a zombie apocalypse I don't want to have to eat Miss. Bossy. Mr.Wrekker is fond of saying Cat soup is gonna look good after about a week of eating stale crackers and grass clippings. Eeeekkk!
Old 03-11-2019, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post

Deep fried okra, yummmm.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
I have to admit I was the only shopper many times. Does this mean my favorite sausage* was just a figment of my cursed imaginings?
I may need to see a doctor.
I can't wait to tell the Doc about the Dope. I might need to be confined for my own safety.
*everybody knows, bacon is bacon and sausage is sausage.
No, the sausage wasn't imaginary. But you remember all those neighbors that don't seem to be around any longer? And that chest freezer out back that you keep locked and never talk about?
Old 03-11-2019, 05:06 PM

There's a part of me that really craves that kind of nature and isolation and, through necessity, the degree of self-sufficiency you have to have to live that lifestyle. The signature image of that life around here is the sound of a loon on a quiet lake at sunset.

But there's another part of me that really loves and appreciates big-city amenities that are at least within reasonable driving distance, and lesser amenities that are damn close and convenient! Yes, I want total isolation and quiet privacy. I also want live theatre, IMAX, and fine upscale grocery stores, and I want them right next door, and I want them NOW! Oh, and gigabit Internet.

This explains, in a nutshell, why I'll never be happy.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
There's a part of me that really craves that kind of nature and isolation and, through necessity, the degree of self-sufficiency you have to have to live that lifestyle. The signature image of that life around here is the sound of a loon on a quiet lake at sunset.

But there's another part of me that really loves and appreciates big-city amenities that are at least within reasonable driving distance, and lesser amenities that are damn close and convenient! Yes, I want total isolation and quiet privacy. I also want live theatre, IMAX, and fine upscale grocery stores, and I want them right next door, and I want them NOW! Oh, and gigabit Internet.

This explains, in a nutshell, why I'll never be happy.
....the chores
......the stores
....fresh air
......Times Square...

Green Acres, we are there....

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 03-11-2019 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moving Vehicle View Post
No, the sausage wasn't imaginary. But you remember all those neighbors that don't seem to be around any longer? And that chest freezer out back that you keep locked and never talk about?
They've all been ground to sausages in Beckdawreck's machine.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moving Vehicle View Post
I just lurves me some of Farmer Vincent's fritters.