Old 03-31-2006, 10:25 PM

Why do people start smoking?

Inspired by the Pit thread, I'm really curious. I'm a non-smoker who never even considered trying, but I can sort of understand people who started smoking before the health warnings became unambiguously dire, and before it completely lost its "I'm cool" image.

But... I can't imagine anyone taking it up after, oh, about 1980. And yet I see lots of people in their 20s who smoke. What is the appeal?
Old 03-31-2006, 11:13 PM

My Best Friend and I started smoking at age 13 because the Cameron twins, Bruce and Brian, showed us how. We would do 'anything' to please them because we had crushes on them. Mind you, this was waaaay back, before the rainbow thing and before the notion of giving head was not having sex. We hadn't heard of these practices and if we had, they would have been icky and not something we'd do. A closed mouth kiss made us sluts.

Fast forward: it's 1970 and my daugher was just born. In the recovery room I asked the nurse for an ashtray so that I could smoke. She immediately produced one! My OB/GYN had an ashtray in each of the examining rooms so that the patient as well as he could smoke.

There were TV ads - "4 out of 5 doctors recommend" - and some tobacco brand was advertised.

It was a different world. You had to be there....
Old 03-31-2006, 11:19 PM

Sorry, I got carried away with my own story rather than the question asked by the OP.

A young friend explained her smoking for the same reason she got her first tattoo - to piss off her Dad.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:37 PM

Here's a suggestion: nicotine has a really cool buzz for the first month or so. Then it decreases in intensity, so you smoke more to try and get that buzz again. But it never comes. But you need to have another cigarette, because you are addicted to nicotine now. I feel confident to say that anybody who has never been addicted to a narcotic can have absolutely no idea what it's like until they experience it. As well, I feel it's true enough to say that likely no one who ever started smoking even considered the addiction part of it... or the health risks... then one day it happens to them.

In a nutshell, whatever reasons you had for starting to smoke are moot once you become addicted. After that, you are taking a maintenance dose every time you light up.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:51 PM

I smoked my first cigarette in high school, either junior or senior year ... so 1988/1989. I did it because I was full of teenage angst and misery, and one particularly bad night I happened upon some friends who were smoking and decided that I felt a little self-destructive. Lucky for me, though, after that night I only smoked once in a blue moon (it fucked with my voice) and I never got addicted. I know that I smoked off and on -- mostly when I was drinking with smokers -- through college, and I think I had my very last cigarette sometime shortly after graduating. I don't even remember anymore, because it wasn't anything significant.
Old 04-01-2006, 12:21 AM

I started smoking in 1988, a bit older probably than average (I was 21). I'd snuck a few before then as a teenager (my mother smokes) and didn't like them, though I did like the high. I started smoking because I worked around an all smoking hotel staff and frankly I liked the look and the social aspects ("One of the guys") and most of my family smoked (pretty much everybody but my siblings and my pyromaniac grandmother). I never had to "teach" myself to smoke- I took to it completely naturally, never retched or choked or anything, and frankly (to quote Piper Laurie in Carrie "I liiiiiked it... Gawd help me, I liiiiiiiiiiiked it!").
I quit for three and a half-years and started smoking again in 2001. I'd like to say it was because of September 11 because it was around the same time, but it wasn't. I had smoked some Cuban cigars a friend brought me from Charleston (where it's legal to import them in very restricted quantities due to some loophole) and basically I thought they were okay but they really made me want a cigarette, and I thought I could handle just one. A week later I was buying packs.
Old 04-01-2006, 12:28 AM

I started smoking (in college, stupidly enough) to give me something to do in bars beside drinking. Of course, all it did was make me thirstier.
Old 04-01-2006, 12:31 AM

I started smoking because I love tobacco, and have ever since I was a little kid, when I determined that cigarettes smelled *good*, and cigars and pipes smelled even better. I smoked my first cigarette at 11, and haven't looked back since.

I love tobacco's taste. I love its smell. I love it when it's smoked, whether I inhale it into my lungs or merely hold it in my mouth. I love the sweetness of a virginia tobacco, or the smokiness of an oriental, or the darkness of a halfzware cigarette, or the flavor of a good dip or chaw, or the divine aroma of some Scotch snuff. Whether it's smoked, sniffed, or chewed, tobacco just smells and tastes divine.
Old 04-01-2006, 06:52 AM

I know it isn't the exact same thing but: I started chewing tobacco when my college roomate and I watched The Outlaw Josie Wales. We thought it was cool. (I've given it up long since.)

So maybe role models are part of it?
Old 04-01-2006, 07:07 AM
Charter Member

I have a brother who started smoking when he was wandering around Europe. Some soldier offered him a smoke at it would have been rude for him not to accept.
Old 04-01-2006, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

I started cuz I always liked the idea of inhaling and exhaling smoke. I've always said that if I was blind, I'd never have started. In fact if I went blind today I'd probably quit, or drastically cut back. Before I started smoking, my firends and I used to drill the orange plug out of cap guns, (the kind with the strip of red paper with the black dots on it) and inhale the smoke from those. If you put three or four 'caps' under the hammer at once, you'd get a pretty big puff of smoke. Hell, I could blow smoke rings years before I took my first puff of tabacco. So that's it for me, not for looks, not to be cool, not becase saw it in the movies, because I thought I'd really enjoy it, and I did, and I do.
Old 04-01-2006, 08:51 AM

I started around 1980 when I was 15. I had been a 'good' girl until then; the year I turned 15 I started doing a lot of rebellious things - smoking tobacco and pot, drinking, skipping class, not getting good grades, etc. I can't pin down any real reason. None of my friends smoked so it wasn't peer pressure in my case. Probably the parental influence, although I hid it from them for a year - they both smoked, so they couldn't smell tobacco on me. We (both parents and I) have all since quit.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:00 AM

I have smoked about 3 cigarettes in my life. The reason, invariably: HAWT CHYX offered me them.
Old 04-01-2006, 12:59 PM

I started smoking at age 18 because I wanted to look cool. I stopped 3 weeks later when I realized it wasn't working.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:01 PM
Charter Member

My brother and I were very much anti-smoking when we were growing up. So much so that he stole the cigarettes from my mother's purse and cut them in half with the scissors when he was 10. She was quite pissed about that, but that was how much he hated mom's smoking back then.

Cut to when my brother joined the Navy in 1989. He came home on leave the next year and had started up smoking. His explanation was that the Navy would give people smoke breaks, but if you didn't smoke, you didn't get the breaks... so he started smoking.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragwyr
<snip>
Cut to when my brother joined the Navy in 1989. He came home on leave the next year and had started up smoking. His explanation was that the Navy would give people smoke breaks, but if you didn't smoke, you didn't get the breaks... so he started smoking.
I should hope that this is no longer true. I don't think that the Navy would want to encourage seamen ( ) to start smoking. Don't they want healthy, fit men and women?
Old 04-02-2006, 05:24 AM

My first *real* boyfriend did it, so did his really hot (second *real* boyfriend) and my best friend (also a guy) all did. The peer pressure was too much for me.

7 years later I buy by the carton and almost quit my job when they considered going no smoking.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbicycle
Here's a suggestion: nicotine has a really cool buzz for the first month or so.
That's about all I was going to say. All that keeps people smoking is the weak attenuated buzz they are getting - starting out it is palpable. I remember reading years ago that all the ancient societies that had access to both tobacco and marijuana used to smoke the tobacco and make things from the hemp.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:56 AM

I started smoking in my early 20s, just every once in a while, probably to be cool.

At some point it became a stress management tool. I would smoke during periods of intense stress or intense boredom. I lived in Siberia and I'd smoke, just because there was nothing else to do. I would just sit and smoke until it was time to go to sleep. I would binge smoke, during peak stress I'd smoke 1-2 packs a day and then drop it for months or even a year at a time. I quit Xmas day as a promise to my wife. The only waiver on the promise is that I can have a cigarette if I get shot.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khadaji
I know it isn't the exact same thing but: I started chewing tobacco when my college roomate and I watched The Outlaw Josie Wales. We thought it was cool. (I've given it up long since.)
Son of a bitch...me too. I remember specifically when he spit on the dog's head. He spit on everything. I thought it was sooo cool and got one of Dad's packs of Beechnut. I graduated to Copenhagen (better rush) and finally quit ten years ago (the single hardest thing I ever did).

Now, concerning the OP, my best friend's father was career National Guard and he would get his cigarettes from the C-rations his father used to keep in the garage. People seem to forget that Uncle Sam included a couple of Lucky Strikes with every package of food that he gave every soldier at one time.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlanelee
Son of a bitch...me too. I remember specifically when he spit on the dog's head. He spit on everything. I thought it was sooo cool and got one of Dad's packs of Beechnut. I graduated to Copenhagen (better rush) and finally quit ten years ago (the single hardest thing I ever did).

<SNIP>
The weird thing for me is that, although I chewed tobacco for over 8 years and (since I worked in an outside job) had a chew in all day long, quitting was not difficult for me. Losing weight is much more difficult for me than quitting chewing was. I never understood why, since I do understand how bad the nicotine addiction is for most people.
Old 04-02-2006, 07:10 AM

I started smoking when I was a freshman in high school, because it was cool. I smoked the next million cigarettes because I was a slave to an addictive habit.

I tell my son he'll break my heart if he starts smoking. He tells me he won't, and he means it.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28
I quit Xmas day as a promise to my wife. The only waiver on the promise is that I can have a cigarette if I get shot.
Let me guess -- since then, you've either taken up hunting or joined the Marines?

For me, it was pure peer pressure. First from my older sister, then after I quit, from my best friend. "You're not cool if you don't smoke" is a powerful message for a 13 year old. Health problems are for old people. Being accepted has benefits Right Now.

Ironically, one reason I keep smoking is because everyone tells me not to. I don't want to blend in with self-righteous goddy-goodies. Probably not the wisest of attitudes.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

Check out this thread for some deja vu. Even the title is almost identical.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=298184
Cynicism is Evil. It provides an excuse to expect nothing but the worst from others while simultaneously excusing all the worst in yourself. It's lazy, selfish, and ignorant all tightly wrapped into a toxic ball of nasty.
Old 04-02-2006, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbicycle
Here's a suggestion: nicotine has a really cool buzz for the first month or so. Then it decreases in intensity, so you smoke more to try and get that buzz again. .

Well... I would disagree. Starting smoking was a difficult and long endeavor for me. I hated the taste, I don't remember any pleasant "buzz". I just eventually overcame my repulsion and become accustomed to the taste and addicted to nicotine.

I know what kind of "buzz" you're talking about because I got it each time I started smoking again after quiting (that would be a significant number of times). Though it doesn't last for a month, but rather just apply to the very first cigarettes. That's how I could notice that nicotine indeed affect directly one's brain. But I absolutely don't remember this "buzz" when I started smoking. Just that it was foul.
Old 04-02-2006, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSLGuy
Check out this thread for some deja vu. Even the title is almost identical.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=298184
Yeah, but it's a whole year old. Your dinosaur threads couldn't possibly be relevant to the world today, man. [/bravado]

I was specifically wondering about people who started after the culture at large stopped encouraging people to smoke (as described in straykat23's post near the top of the thread). Thanks for all the informative replies.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:11 PM

I lived in Mexico as an exchange student when I was 17-18. My host family had a cousin, Hiro (my host family was Japanese-Mexican, which was an interesting twist in itself). Anyway Hiro smoked, and I liked Hiro, and he taught me to smoke. I remember trying to cough my lungs up, and for reasons that totally bewilder me now, I was determined not to let a little thing like coughing stop me, and I persevered until the coughing stopped.

I quit in college, having progressed from ordinary cigarettes to 'clove' cigarettes. I couldn't afford them. I found smoking to be a kind of slavery. I couldn't be happy without my smoke. I hated feeling that way.

The real irony is that 20 years later, I still occasionally crave a cigarette.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:19 PM

When I first turned 18, one of the first things I did was buy a pack of cigarettes. But not because I really wanted to smoke that much, and I'd had plenty of opportunities to do so before that. But because I wanted to feel like an adult.

And he didn't even card me, which made me feel even better.

After that pack, which I didn't even finish (gave away the last 7 or 8 to homeless people), I didn't smoke again till about 2 years later, when I smoked lightly for a few months. Basically this time around I was bored and wanted to experience life from a smoker's point of view. It definitley gave me a lot of perspective - many people will avoid you if you are smoking.

Anyway I never figured out what all the fuss was about as far as the addictiveness of it, because one day I just got bored of it / didn't feel like spending money on cigarettes anymore, and so I didn't. And that's all there was to it.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:26 AM

The same reason adults smoke: cause its cool and it relieves anxiety.

Actually, I started for the second reason.

I'm in the process of quitting *again*. So far I'm 3 days clean.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:46 AM

I'm another on the "In-for-the-Buzz Crowd". Started Senior year of High School.
None of my crowd smoked. Was out drinking beer one night with friends. Bummed one from someone who came along. Noticed a nice little buzz. Next time I was out of pot, went to the liquor store, where one could purchase the long Sherman's
they used to have. Didn't get carded. The old dudes that worked there had no qualms, ever about selling them. It was a long, slippery slope after that.

"I curse Sir Walter Ralleigh, He was such a stupid Git".....

Dr. Memory-Six monthes "Smober "
Old 04-03-2006, 01:34 PM

I very consciously made the decision to start smoking because I wanted to kill myself, but didn't have the guts or means to do it directly.

Seriously. I was quite full of self-destructive self-loathing and rage then. And was for quite some time, although it took me years and effort to get up to almost a pack-a-day.

But I definitely started out of a desire to cause myself harm, even if that harm was 50 years away. (This was in 1988 when I started, at the age of 19.)
Old 04-03-2006, 02:43 PM

1) It's cool. Yes, still. Yes, we've seen the adds. So? You've seen the "your brain on drugs" ads too, haven't you? Kids still think that smoking (diverse things) is cool.

2) In my case, I knew tobacco would have a calming effect. Sure enough, it did.

The reason I didn't become a smoker is that my pocket money was so short I had to choose between smoking or movies. Movies won.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:31 PM

I suppose I tried cigarettes because it was (pick one):
- forbidden
- things adults did
- things the cool kids did to look adult

Didn't last long. Consistently made me sicker'n a dog. I did take up cigars years later because I like the taste (vs inhaling them). Mostly gave it up because of the cost but I did find a good cheap cigar that I consume once or twice a week.... outdoors...

On a related note: when discussing the health effects of cigarettes it's a little disheartening to see commercials that say 2nd hand smoke is worse than directly smoking. I'm guessing that makes 3rd hand smoke worse than the plague It would be nice if they would stick to facts or at least some trendy jingo.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:18 AM

I smoked a few times the first time I went to Europe, but I would have stopped when I returned to Seoul...if my best friend hadn't started. She'd just returned after a year at Wellsley and a summer in Europe, and the two of us started smoking whenever we went out for drinks or coffee. Neither of us ever became serious smokers, although there will be nights when we smoke like chimneys and managed to finish off a pack. I just really like the taste of a cigarette after I've had alcohol or coffee. Those are the only times I really crave one. (Well, sometimes after teaching a classroom full of brats for three hours, I feel a cigarette would be nice, too.)
Old 04-04-2006, 11:28 AM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

I started when I was 17, and I don't know why. I know that i did NOT do it to be cool - I hid it from my friends and family forever. I really picked up my smoking more when I was in college. I was HORRIBLY lonely - I missed my home, and my home smelled like smoke (my dad's a big-time smoker).

I have always been very nervous, and I find smoking helps me "calm down." Maybe not chemically, but the action of taking a couple minutes out of my life to stop whatever I am doing and light up and drag....mmmmm.

Most of my friends still don't smoke. Just me, my dad and my brother. For the first time in my life (i'm 27), I am dating a guy who smokes. It's not bad - I finally don't have to worry as much about how I smell. But I notice things seem alot more smoky now since there's 2 of us smoking
Old 04-04-2006, 11:53 AM
BANNED

If adults wore diapers and occasionally leaked fecal liquid down their legs, and babies sat on toiletbowls while reading newspapers, guess which group 's behavior I think teenagers would want to emulate?
Old 04-04-2006, 12:04 PM

My wife started smoking at 23 or so, because of stress, social pressure and to get that buzz.

I have offered to start smoking for her, figuring six months would be enough to get good and addicted, and we could quit together, but she has declined my offer.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:20 PM
Soy un pinche idiota
Charter Member

It seemed cool, dangerous and adult when I was 12. Of course, that coolness has worn off by 35. I do enjoy the feeling, but would like to breathe normally again.

Incendentally, I think about quitting usually because cancer killed my grandmother, father and aunt. I told this to a cow-orker and he replied "It looks to me like you are gonna get cancer no matter what you do, smoke up!" He's probably right, but I am still gonna try to quit again.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:28 PM

[Cigar smoking woman to friend...]

I started when my husband came home and found one burning in the ashtray.

[/Cigar smoking woman]
Old 04-04-2006, 02:45 PM

I think a lot of it is the 'It's an adult' thing. Society calls you an adult at 18, you can buy cigarettes at 18....hence rite of passage to buy cigarettes. Some of us just keep doing it. (14 year smoker)
Old 04-04-2006, 04:23 PM

I guess I am one of the odd ones. Never had a problem with smoking. I tried it as a teen, didn't do much for me. I had relatives who smoked and sometimes it bothered me, other times I didn't care. In college I would occasionally have one with a drink, but I never picked up the habit. I could have one one night, not have another for months, smoke 5-6 for several nights and then go back to not smoking for months or years at a time. I think my longest stint smoking was a few months of maybe 1-5 cigs a day. I do enjoy pipe tobacco once in a blue moon. I love cloves the most, but they are pretty harsh and I will buy a pack once in a while and smoke it over several weeks, but by then my desire for smoking wanes and I'll go many months without smoking again.

So then why? I enjoy the act of smoking. I know this is hard for many who struggle with the addiction, for those who live with smokers and those who just hate smoke and I do not mean to in any way belittle or dismiss the negative effects on individual or societal health, but there is a romantic notion to going to a tobacconist, looking over the many assorted jars and tins, smelling the different blends and flavors of tabaccos, looking over the hand crafted pipes and cool lighters, walking into a humidor and taking a deep breath of that earthy, leathery, woodsy aroma. I enjoy a quality smoke with a fine aged spirit, a bourbon or a cognac, and watch the stars twinkle from the back yard. The glow of the cherry that gets brighter with a drag, the embers that float away up towards the dark sky, the sound of the pop and hiss, the warmth around my tongue and the release of smoke that streams away from me and twists and turns and dissipates, that's what smoking is for me.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:05 AM

My neighbor

My neighbor has a smoking girlfriend and they share the house next door to me. He had always been athletic and, somehow, fell in love with a smoking woman. Over the years I've seen him trying to convince her to stop smoking but nothing worked.

Being high school teachers they had the summer off and, amazingly, the woman convinced him that, if he'd start smoking and continue through the summer break she'd feel it would be far easier to quit as they'd be quitting together. He'd hide his smoking, though I'd occasionally catch him when looking down into their yard from my second story window. Looked weird to me.

Anyway, it's been years since. They're both married and, yes, both smoking. I hardly ever see him on his bicycle these days either. It just goes to show you how powerful an addiction is. The odd thing of it is that he's still verbally against smoking but admits he didn't know how addiction can work. Lesson learned?

Last edited by lazurm; 02-18-2019 at 08:06 AM.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:16 AM

With recognition that this a very old bumped thread I note that over the past dozen years more start smoking simply because it is natural transition from vaping.

Fewer start smoking now. They vape first and move into it. Any here who had that path?
Old 02-18-2019, 09:20 AM

I'm sure you can find plenty of anti-tobacco agenda-driven content to back up your statement. When it comes to agenda-free research the results don't support that idea.

Did Vaping Stop the Downward Trend in Adolescent Smoking?
One survey shows cigarette use holding steady, while another shows it continuing to fall.

Declines in Adolescent Smoking Accelerated As Vaping Rose, Suggesting the FDA's Campaign Is Fatally Misguided
Even among teenagers, efforts to prevent underage e-cigarette use may do more harm than good.

Last edited by Turble; 02-18-2019 at 09:21 AM.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:19 AM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post

Fewer start smoking now.
Nationally that may be true but I haven't seen it around me; I still see people starting right from the beginning the old fashioned way. Mostly because:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
1) It's cool. Yes, still. Yes, we've seen the adds. So? You've seen the "your brain on drugs" ads too, haven't you? Kids still think that smoking (diverse things) is cool.

2) In my case, I knew tobacco would have a calming effect. Sure enough, it did.
And add the natural rebellion against society that many of us feel in our late teens and early twenties. Like when this thread was new its as much budget than anything else that keeps people from becoming fully addicted as they did when I was that age.

PS -- now a smoking zombie ------ that would be really really cool.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:26 AM

Yup the CDC, the shameless whores, paid off shills of the anti-tobacco agenda ... FWIW

The RAND Corporation too, of course.

Quote:
Teen use of electronic cigarettes was associated with both a greater likelihood of smoking traditional cigarettes and greater use of both tobacco products over time, a RAND Corporation study found. ... The longitudinal analysis in the journal Nicotine & Tobacco Research revealed "robust reciprocal associations" between vaping and smoking, such that more frequent e-cigarette use at the earlier age predicted more frequent cigarette use later on, and visa versa, said RAND researcher Michael S. Dunbar, PhD.

"We've seen a number of studies recently suggesting that e-cigarette use in teens increases the likelihood that they will smoke cigarettes,"
Yes, better to trust The Reason Foundation's spin. An organization whose trustee is David Koch and receives major funding from Phillip Morris is definitely the source for agenda-free content!

In any case the comment I made is completely noncontroversial. Fewer teens experience smoking cigarettes as a first (excluding secondhand) tobacco experience now than did in 2006 and many many more have vaping as their first (direct) tobacco experience. Those who do end up smoking cigarettes as older teens and young adults now much more commonly first experienced vaping compared to 2006. Given that teen vaping really only billowed in popularity over the past five years, at a time that the rates of teens taking up smoking tobacco was pretty much getting down to its butts (such a drag), that is a mere statement of fact.

Smoking is less a marker of cool kid now than it was in 2006, but in some circles vaping now is. Fewer start smoking to look cool than they did then. Do you really question that? The progression to smoking is coming later more commonly. Maybe they are starting to smoke to wean themselves off of their vaping addiction? Seriously though, of course becoming addicted to nicotine early increases the likelihood of smoking later.

And I would be interested in hearing from those who started vaping and who now smoke as to how that process happened.

kopek yes it is true nationally, but it a very recent thing. Not sure we will have many on this board as it is mostly among those who started (with e-cigs) since its explosion in 2014 and who are now maybe 18 to 21. Not our big demographic.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post

In any case the comment I made is completely noncontroversial.
And I would be interested in hearing from those who started vaping and who now smoke as to how that process happened.
Like I said, I'm sure you can find plenty of anti-tobacco agenda-driven organizations to quote. Want to bash this one?
Young People's Use of E-Cigarettes across the United Kingdom: Findings from Five Surveys 2015-2017.
Quote:
...most e-cigarette experimentation does not turn into regular use, and levels of regular use in young people who have never smoked remain very low.
I maintain that the important truth is "From a public health perspective, a situation in which 20 percent of high school students are vaping while 8 percent are smoking is vastly preferable to a situation in which 0 percent are vaping and 29 percent are smoking (as the NYTS found in 1999)."

Good luck on your search for kids who vaped and chose to switch to stinky, expensive cigarettes.

Last edited by Turble; 02-18-2019 at 12:31 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:52 PM

I was always surrounded by smoke at home and in the car, my father even smoked a pipe while flying us around in his little cessna. The first cigarette I tried was out of a pack he left behind when he left my mother. It felt normal unlike smokeless places. I suspect I thought he may come home to punish me or something. I was the first at my primary school so therefore cool by definition. I stole packs from my mother and spread them around until half my grade were with me behind the shelter sheds. Once old enough (15 in1980) I took a Saturday afternoon job in a milk bar (corner store type thing) which paid me in cigarettes.

I gave up after my mother died of lung cancer but there were way too many years between and I live with severe COPD now. At my high school class reunion for 30years I apologised to everyone I had talked in to trying them. A good number still had the habit.
Old 02-18-2019, 01:00 PM

Gah, didn't realise this was a zombie on a new track, tried to delete my irrelevance on edit but too late.
Old 02-18-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazurm View Post
My neighbor has a smoking girlfriend
Dang, I read this as a "smoking hot girlfriend.🙁
Quote:
He had always been athletic and, somehow, fell in love with a smoking woman.
A smoking woman
She carries her own kind of light
She'd cough and gag once
And a day that's all wrong
Looks all right

And she's addicted
God knows, she's addicted
A smoking woman
If she wants to light up
She's gonna light up
My smoking woman

Righteous that Turble is wise to the evil subterranean agendas of the CDC and other health organizations warning of vaping hazards. Just like with vaccination, they're stealthily out to make us healthier.