Old 12-26-2018, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

I just discovered "The Kingsman" and boy, what fun movies!!

I don't know how the two "Kingsman" movies slipped under my radar, but they did. I happened to stroll across them yesterday as I was browsing Amazon.

Liked them so much I binged BOTH of them last night. Loved the fight scenes!

Anyway, anyone else dig these movies?
Old 12-26-2018, 12:57 PM

The first was slightly better than okay IMO. The second was somewhat less than okay IMO. The fight choreography (including the camera work) in both is well done.
Old 12-26-2018, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
The first was slightly better than okay IMO. The second was somewhat less than okay IMO. The fight choreography (including the camera work) in both is well done.
No love for Elton John Bo?
Old 12-26-2018, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

I saw both in the theaters and I didn't like the second one as much as I liked the first one.
Old 12-26-2018, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Yes. The second one went just a bit too far. But Elton was ace.
Old 12-26-2018, 02:17 PM

I saw them both on DVD and thought they were great, especially the well-choreographed fight scenes. It was like John Woo meets James Bond.
Old 12-26-2018, 02:46 PM

Haven't seen em. Will. Haven't seen the John Wick films either.
Old 12-26-2018, 04:27 PM

The first time I tried to watch the first one I had to give up, though that's really no fault of the movie itself. I have a terrible time with British accents, so I couldn't understand what anyone was saying, and therefore couldn't follow the plot. I got as far as the part when

SPOILER:
the girl drowned in the training facility

and I quit in fury and disgust. These are reprehensible scumbags, and they're supposed to be the good guys? Screw that, I'm out.

I eventually made the discovery that you can have English subtitles on an English language program. (I know, I know, I'm special.) So I tried it again and was able to follow it all the way through. It was mildly entertaining and cute. It was also revealed that

SPOILER:
the drowned girl had actually survived and was working as an analyst or some such

but I'm not sure that makes it much better. I have a feeling that detail was added in exposition because of the feedback of test audiences.

The second one just went WAY too far into camp and cutesy.

Last edited by Licentious Ectomorph; 12-26-2018 at 04:32 PM.
Old 12-26-2018, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licentious Ectomorph View Post
I have a feeling that detail was added in exposition because of the feedback of test audiences.
I doubt that. It fits with the rest of the challenges that were pretty much all fakeouts (like the "broken" parachute or the train)
Old 12-26-2018, 04:55 PM

Loved the first and liked the second. Also discovered my new boyfriend who, it turns out, sings like an angel and, coincidentally, sings Elton's song in the movie Sing! Don't know if he played piano, though.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:35 PM

Nobody ever acknowledges that the first one would have ended with the death of every single baby on earth.
Old 12-26-2018, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
Nobody ever acknowledges that the first one would have ended with the death of every single baby on earth.
I think that point was made clear by the hero's sister trying viciously to kill her own kid.
Old 12-26-2018, 08:36 PM
Charter Member

The second one is a mess, but the first is great.

The new one they're making is a prequel, like set 100 years ago I think.

#BringRoxyBackToLife
Old 12-26-2018, 09:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
I think that point was made clear by the hero's sister trying viciously to kill her own kid.
His mother not his sister, but yes, that indicated how horrible the situation was.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:07 PM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
#BringRoxyBackToLife
Agreed. Killing Roxy was as tone deaf as killing Newt at the beginning of Alien 3 was.
Old 12-27-2018, 12:24 AM
Elephant Whisperer

The first one was great. The second one was so ravaged in the reviews that we passed on it.
Old 12-27-2018, 01:39 AM

Both films were a lot of fun. And a great joy to watch.

Same with the John Wick films. A lot of fun.

I'm just glad I don't let other people tell me what to think and let them make up my mind for me or I might have missed out on how much I enjoyed these movies.
Old 12-27-2018, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunky Smurf View Post
........I'm just glad I don't let other people tell me what to think and let them make up my mind for me or I might have missed out on how much I enjoyed these movies.
That is an excellent point. It's nice to know what others think, but if we let that totally control our choices, we might miss out on a lot of stuff that we would really enjoy.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunky Smurf View Post
Both films were a lot of fun. And a great joy to watch.

Same with the John Wick films. A lot of fun.

I'm just glad I don't let other people tell me what to think and let them make up my mind for me or I might have missed out on how much I enjoyed these movies.
What people? The first Kingsman was well reviewed, and John Wick is largely considered by critics to be one of the best action movies of the 21st Century. I agree that they're great movies, but liking them doesn't make us great independent thinkers.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
What people? The first Kingsman was well reviewed, and John Wick is largely considered by critics to be one of the best action movies of the 21st Century. I agree that they're great movies, but liking them doesn't make us great independent thinkers.
I agree with the sentiment though. "AI" is one of my favorite movies. Yet it's nearly hated by everyone.
Old 12-27-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
The new one they're making is a prequel, like set 100 years ago I think.
Luckily they're also planning a third in the present-day setting. Hopefully they retcon Roxy's death like they did with Harry. She was too good a character to get written out as badly as they did.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post

Indeed. The big fight in the church in the first movie should be used as an example in film school, of how to film a big, chaotic fight without actually losing track of what is happening on screen. Incredibly well done.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:42 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. Mortiss View Post
That is an excellent point. It's nice to know what others think, but if we let that totally control our choices, we might miss out on a lot of stuff that we would really enjoy.
I have limited time for movies, so I rely on like-minded reviewers to help screen for ones I really do want to see.
Old 12-28-2018, 02:16 AM

I liked the first one enough to see the second one. I do not think I will see another.
Old 12-28-2018, 03:54 AM

Did you watch the video where Eggsy meets a proper secret agent? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFZkoNJ3DxE
Old 12-28-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
Agreed. Killing Roxy was as tone deaf as killing Newt at the beginning of Alien 3 was.
Gah! Spoiler boxes you soulless monster!

I'm usually pretty good at suspending disbelief so I can enjoy a movie. It was hard for the second one. But yeah, once you grok these are supposed to be over the top they really are fun. And Elton was fantastic.
Old 12-29-2018, 09:26 AM

Yeah, the use of slow motion in the fight scenes should be used to whip Zack Snyder into learning how it's done.

Really, that DC hired Zack Snyder to bring their movie universe online and not Matthew Vaughn is just a silly, silly thing. Snyder is - let's give him his props - a great cinematographer but Vaughn knows how to tell a great story AND make a great comic book movie. He gets comics in a way that Snyder never will.

Kingmsan
Kingsman 2: The Golden Circle
Kick-Ass
X-Men: First Class

Last edited by Jonathan Chance; 12-29-2018 at 09:27 AM.
Old 12-29-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
Yeah, the use of slow motion in the fight scenes should be used to whip Zack Snyder into learning how it's done.

Also things like how he moves the camera, often moving it along with the main character as they move. So, the background is often chaotic, giving the "Shakey cam" feel that's taken over so many action movies the last decade or two, but you can still see what the main character is doing. It's not all just a blur.
Old 12-30-2018, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Indeed. The big fight in the church in the first movie should be used as an example in film school, of how to film a big, chaotic fight without actually losing track of what is happening on screen. Incredibly well done.
While that scene was choreographed very well, it was also the scene which made me really dislike the film. Presumably you're supposed to give it a free pass because the hero is under the influence, and the victims despicable bigots, but I found the while thing sadistic and sickening (I felt the same about bits of Kick Ass, and the end of Inglorious Bastards (sp)).
Old 01-02-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
Loved the first and liked the second. Also discovered my new boyfriend who, it turns out, sings like an angel and, coincidentally, sings Elton's song in the movie Sing! Don't know if he played piano, though.
And, in fact, is Elton John in the upcoming biopic Rocketman
Old 01-03-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee View Post
but I found the while thing sadistic and sickening

I'd argue that this is how you're supposed to feel about that scene. The Big Bad is trying to make out like he's some great philanthropist, just trying to save the world and all, who literally gets sick at the sight of blood, but in actual fact, what he's planning is one of the most monstrously evil things ever done in history. Not only will billions perish in awful ways, but those who survive will be left with the memories of what they did to their own family and friends.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:03 AM

And Harry Hart - who did the violence in the church - is clearly shaken at his loss of control.

This is in contrast to the ass-whoopin' he gave the minor league hoods in the pub earlier. That was controlled violence to teach them a lesson - note he was willing to walk away and let Eggsy take his lumps until they personally insulted him - but without actually killing any of them.

The violence in the church was just a slaughter. Children vs an adult.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

Count me in as saying the first one was fun and enjoyable. The second one was just SOOOO stupid. It was a complete mess.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enright3 View Post
Count me in as saying the first one was fun and enjoyable. The second one was just SOOOO stupid. It was a complete mess.
The first one came off as a parody of the James Bond genre. The second one came off as a parody of the first one.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:25 PM

Too juvenile to take seriously, and too vulgar to enjoy with young teens.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
The first one came off as a parody of the James Bond genre.
I am quite certain it's inspired by the UK Avengers series. Too many similarities not to be.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
Although I was disappointed with how John Wick boarded a PATH train in the Oculus and fought in it all the way to Canal Street.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:22 PM

I liked the last scene when Eggy gets the girl in the butt.