Old 01-01-2019, 09:01 PM

Does anyone remember this website?

I can't remember the name of a website that used to amuse me way back when. I'm fairly certain it is no longer with us. My details are a bit sketchy, so bear with me.

It was primarily a movie review site, but it may have eventually evolved into other content. It was written in an extremely casual manner - many of the movie reviews covered more about what was going on in the reviewer's life that day than the movie itself. He would talk about waking up late, wolfing down some chili dogs for breakfast, then meeting his buddy at the such-and-such theater (but the film was sold out so they played video games until the next showing, and he had mustard on his shirt from the chili dog).

The site owner/main film reviewer was an obese slob who started out as a nobody but eventually gained the attention of the media (I think Roger Ebert got to know him?).

That's about all I have. I want to say the word 'rotten' was in the name of the website, but I may be conflating it with Rotten Tomatoes.

I hadn't thought about this in, well, ten years or so. I have no idea why it just popped into my head.

mmm

ETA: I thought I had the dude's name for a moment - Harold Knowles - but Google doesn't seem to indicate that is correct. But it sure looks right. I shall keep searching.

Last edited by Mean Mr. Mustard; 01-01-2019 at 09:04 PM.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:03 PM

Ain’t it cool news.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:10 PM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

http://www.aintitcool.com/

Yep. Harry Knowles
Old 01-01-2019, 09:14 PM

That's what I was going to say... so I'll add some links:

http://www.aintitcool.com/

Looks like no Harry K. any more. The reviews are by names like Freddy Beans, Madame Revenant, Pekosa Peligrosa, Veronica Rampant... and Big Eyes, who "Saw/Played Netflix’s Interactive Experiment BLACKMIRROR: BANDERSNATCH."

Oh, looks like Harry was a colorful-but-bad boy and got thrown off his own website (well, took "a leave of absence").

ETA: The other reviewer I loved back in the day was SeanBaby. He returned from beyond and has done a few more recent comic/movie reviews for Buzzfeed.

Last edited by digs; 01-01-2019 at 09:16 PM.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:19 PM

Yeah, I found it. I'm sorry I did, what a gawd-awful website with gawd-awful reviews.

Here is a small piece of one I chose at random (written by Harry himself):

Quote:
Why did I go to see URBAN LEGEND?

I’ll tell ya why. I have the biggest crush in the world on that cello-playing coffee girl. That girl from RISING SON. You knoooooooow.... the Noxema girl. I think she is soooo frigggin do-able, that it screams. All my friends agree, they all think... wowzers, what a hot chick, actually they say, “MAAAAAN, I’d like to bend her over a barrel...if ya know what I mean”...Soooooooooooooo, now ya know why I went. That’s right, it was to watch Ms Noxema and drool. I even took a drool bucket.
What a pig.

mmm
Old 01-01-2019, 09:40 PM
Charter Member

It's much worse.

Harry Knowles had to leave the site awhile back due to sexual assault allegations. I believe a number of the quality writers of the site had already quit and those that had not quit at that point. His sister runs the site now.

He was a sellout as well. He gave The Grinch(Jim Carrey) a positive review before it came out because they flew him out and wined and dined him, so to speak. He promoted screenplays and works of people who worked at the site.

It used to be a site for breaking news on movies. Relied on rumors and so forth. Now, it is almost the last site for anything to turn up on.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:41 PM
Charter Member

If you want to read a terrible review he wrote that you seem to vaguely remember, read his review of Blade 2, which is insane.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
Yeah, I found it. I'm sorry I did, what a gawd-awful website with gawd-awful reviews.

Here is a small piece of one I chose at random (written by Harry himself):

What a pig.

mmm
When I was maybe 18-25 years old I can assure you that was a primary reason most of my peers would choose to watch a movie or tv show. We probably wouldn't talk to our families about it or write about it openly on a website, but amongst friends the talk would be much raunchier than what is quoted. And none of us were any more "pigs" than any men who find women attractive and want to make sweet love to them.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
ETA: The other reviewer I loved back in the day was SeanBaby. He returned from beyond and has done a few more recent comic/movie reviews for Buzzfeed.
Seanbaby also still does some writing for Cracked. Here's his stuff.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:05 PM

Here's another former writer for AICN who's done alright for himself: C. Robert Cargill, writing under the pseudonym "Massawyrm," was an early movie reviewer for AICN. He seemed to have a lot of writing talent and a sincere interest in movies (as opposed to the outlandish fanboys in the AICN stable).

Cargill has gone on to co-write the screenplays for Marvel's Doctor Strange (2016) as well as Sinister (2012) and Sinister 2 (2015), and he's co-written screenplays for an The Outer Limits film as well as one based on Deus Ex; he has also published several well-received novels and a collection of short stories.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actualliberalnotoneofthose View Post
When I was maybe 18-25 years old I can assure you that was a primary reason most of my peers would choose to watch a movie or tv show. We probably wouldn't talk to our families about it or write about it openly on a website, but amongst friends the talk would be much raunchier than what is quoted. And none of us were any more "pigs" than any men who find women attractive and want to make sweet love to them.
<bolding mine>

There is a difference between your behavior and that of the subject of the OP.

You should know, you pointed it out yourself.

mmm
Old 01-02-2019, 08:48 PM

I see you inquiry has been addressed correctly but this thread made me think, for the first time in years, of Mr. Cranky.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:22 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

Man...I had no idea that Harry Knowles had scorching red hair, nor that he is not much older than me.

My mental image of him was always as a cartoon of a guy (literally a cartoon, as the AICN logo) with long hair and a bear and glasses, but the hair in the cartoon was white. Coulda been a black and white drawing, maybe. I looked around and couldn't find such a logo so maybe I dreamed it.

No idea why I woulda dreamed it...I never read his reviews. I was just aware that the site existed.

Anyway, his appearance is...striking.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post
Anyway, his appearance is...striking.
His health really degraded over time, too.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
Is he that short, or is he sitting on the floor?

mmm
Old 01-03-2019, 06:24 AM

Quote:

mmm
I saw a picture of him in one of those super low to the ground mobility scooters (the ones you put your knees on) so that's probably it.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

He has back problems and is largely wheelchair-bound.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Hippie View Post
I see you inquiry has been addressed correctly but this thread made me think, for the first time in years, of Mr. Cranky.
I was just thinking of that site, too. I stopped reading it after a while, but some of the "reviews" were damn funny (as least as I recall now).
Old 01-03-2019, 12:52 PM

I was hoping that he was referring to B. Fatt and Lazy, another early irreverent movie review site.
Old 01-03-2019, 02:03 PM

I've never read the site, but I agree that the review that Mahaloth linked to is not only insane, but super creepily insane.
Old 01-05-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post
Man...I had no idea that Harry Knowles had scorching red hair, nor that he is not much older than me.
Man, he looks nothing like I thought, either. I was certain he had a short beard, and dark brown long wavy hair. Like a shorter, fatter Dino Stamatopolous. Funny that my memory was so far off. I was never a regular AICN reader, but he was popular enough that I certainly read it on occasion. Looking at photos of him, he doesn't even look familiar. Memory is a funny thing.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:26 PM

I’m not trying to be funny, but I absolutely always pictured him having white, short hair and big hipster eyeglasses. What the hell.
Old 01-05-2019, 08:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
He has back problems and is largely wheelchair-bound.
He also has numbness in his feet/ankles. He struggles to walk and has for years.

Quote:

mmm
Wheelchair bound, mainly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markn+ View Post
I've never read the site, but I agree that the review that Mahaloth linked to is not only insane, but super creepily insane.
It's insane and he wrote other things like that. Still, Blade 2 is a famous one from him. Everyone should read it.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:41 PM
Charter Member

His style, though crude and man-childish, used to be a breath of fresh air amongst film criticism, plus he introduced a new kind of movie gossip peopled with "insiders" and set visits from ordinary people. But after five years you'd think he'd evolve and improve, whereas he stagnated and if anything got worse. His cohorts surpassed him quickly, and then abandoned him to do their own thing on more respected sites.

His legacy lives on. Irreverence and insider gossip is still popular, but he is now largely forgotten.