Old 01-03-2019, 02:33 AM

Tilapia is unhealthy “trash fish” (disproven)

Turkey is laden with the chemical tryptophan which makes eaters sleepy (disproven, it’s over eating that makes diners woozy)

Help on these:

Clams or mussels served without the mouths open means they are undercooked and you should not eat them?

Shellfish is so full of cholesterol that someone with a heart condition can get seriously ill eating a big meal of it?

Meat served at many Mexican all inclusive resorts is actually horse meat?

Beer + ice cream= tummy ache?

There are worms in sushi that can turn into giant tapeworms that will live in your intestines?

And is it really deadly to eat puffer fish if not properly prepared?????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-03-2019, 03:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by russian heel View Post

Turkey is laden with the chemical tryptophan which makes eaters sleepy (disproven, it’s over eating that makes diners woozy)

Help on these:

Clams or mussels served without the mouths open means they are undercooked and you should not eat them?

Shellfish is so full of cholesterol that someone with a heart condition can get seriously ill eating a big meal of it?

There are worms in sushi that can turn into giant tapeworms that will live in your intestines?

Japanese law DOES require sushi chefs who wish to serve fugu (puffer fish) to undergo three years of training.

Raw fish served with sushi CAN host parasitic worms (no idea if they're tapeworms).

I don't eat bivalves from the shell; only in chowdah (although I once ordered a cioppino by accident).

I suspect that anyone who got a tummy ache after consuming beer and ice cream at the same sitting simply overindulged.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yllaria View Post
Eating uncooked hot dogs will kill you. Or give you a dangerous dose of food poisoning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
It is possible get Listeria from uncooked hot dogs.
I was under the impression that the process of making hot dogs involved cooking the ingrediments, so where the hell can I go to get an uncooked one of those?
Old 01-03-2019, 03:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
Mountain Dew shrinks your testicles.

Around 1990-1992, Michigan. Middle-school boys. We talked about it in school and in youth group, etc.
HA! I KNEW the show-offs in the commercials were over-compensating!
Old 01-03-2019, 03:48 AM
Charter Member

My food myth:

Oysters are made out of it.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
I think you're confusing Mikey & the Beaver.
Eddie Haskell.

My mother always said swallowing your chewing gum will give you kidney stones. She also forbade me to eat mayonnaise that had been left out of the refrigerator.

I had a girlfriend whose mother insisted that chewing ice would crack your tooth enamel.

I also had a counselor in summer camp who said RC cola makes you sterile. To this day, I don't know if he was serious.

Last edited by terentii; 01-03-2019 at 04:31 AM.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:17 AM
Charter Member

As a kid I was told by several adults that eating bananas would repel mosquitoes.

The no swimming until an hour after you eat thing is universal.

Margarine is better for you than butter.

A Goo Goo Cluster was a nourishing lunch (alright, I may be aging myself with this one but I'm not kidding. They even advertised it as so! )
Old 01-03-2019, 06:16 AM

Drinking a lot of milk makes a woman's boobs bigger

Mountain Dew shrinks your testicles/lowers your sperm count

7-Up helps people with sore throats due to it's carbonation and smooth taste.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim-n-va View Post
5 second rule is not a myth although it is misunderstood. It applies to social judgement not to sanitation.
(2 year rule: its not _really_ a zombie)

But has anybody got an idea what this means? If you pick up dropped food from the floor quicker than 5 seconds and eat it, people who watch won't think you're disgusting?
Old 01-03-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Clams have visible mouths? Or did you mean the shells?
Old 01-03-2019, 11:32 AM

What do you think he meant?
Old 01-03-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingon View Post
What do you think he meant?
I don't know, that's why I asked.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didactylos View Post
If you pick up dropped food from the floor quicker than 5 seconds and eat it, people who watch won't think you're disgusting?
Au contraire, it's as bad as getting caught eating an eclair out of the trash bin!
Old 01-03-2019, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Anconia View Post
I don't know, that's why I asked.
Of course the shell is meant. What else could possibly be meant? Plus it's a common food myth.

And, yes, it is a myth.

Quote:
At the other extreme, he found that some 11.5 per cent of mussels remained closed after a so-called "normal" cooking time.

When he forced them open with a knife, every single one was both adequately cooked and safe to eat.
You cannot tell anything about whether a mussel (or clam) was cooked long enough based on whether the shell was open or not.
Old 01-03-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Not so much tapeworms, but parasitic infections due to contaminated sushi are a thing, though quite low-risk in commercial sushi. Do not click on link if you don't want to see cool parasitic worm pix.
Quote:
[...] there are examples of both tapeworms and roundworms whose larvae live in the muscles of fish and develop into mature worms in animals that feed on infected fish, including humans. One such group of parasites are the anisakid nematodes. [...]

Infective larvae have been found in wild salmon, mackerel, herring and halibut as well as squid. In addition to eating raw or undercooked fish in dishes such as sushi or sashimi, people can be infected by eating lightly pickled or salted fish [...]

Anisakiasis, also known as herring worm disease, is caused by Anisakis simplex. It was first recognised in the 1960s and predominately occurs in countries were raw or undercooked fish forms a large part of the diet. [...]

[...] recommendations by European Union regulatory bodies and the US Food and Drug Administration concerning the freezing of fish prior to consumption should, in general, protect diners in Japanese restaurants and sushi bars in these areas.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYphoonSignal8 View Post
Quite seriously, I was surprised yesterday to read that there is no science to support the contention that bananas solve magnesium deficiencies.
Magnesium? Or potassium? Because the latter is true, so far as I'm aware, although you'd have to eat a half-dozen or more bananas a day to get your allowance.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
I get all of this except the mayo. I don't eat it myself so never paid that much attention, but isn't it lethal if it goes bad? Of course, that's probably the myth part.
I'm trying to remember if it was NPR or a podcast that recently addressed mayo and refrigeration. As was discussed previously, mayo by itself is acidic enough to be safe at room temperature. Once you mix it into potato or chicken salad, however, the other food will raise the mayo's pH, leaving it pH neutral and therefore vulnerable and unprotected.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
That you have to store mayo, kechup, mustard, pickles, relish, bottled sauces in the fridge after opening.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
I think commercially produced mayo (e.g. Hellman's/Best Foods) is too acidic to foster the growth of baddies like C. botulinum. Mayo made with raw eggs can carry a salmonella risk. IIRC when Alton Brown talked about this, he said that most times when people think mayo in potato salad gave them food poisoning, it was really cross-contamination from another source.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
Commercially prepared mayonnaise is made with pasteurized eggs and is too acidic for most bacteria or molds to grow. The label instructs you to "refrigerate after opening" to preserve the quality of its taste, not its safety.

The problem with mayonnaise (one of them, at least) is people contaminate the jar by sticking their utensil into it, spreading it on something, then sticking that same utensil back in the jar with crumbs and shit still on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Rik View Post
I wanted to mention that we in foodservice can get bulk mayonnaise from Sysco in two packaging formats: sealed 30-pound buckets, or a cardboard box lined with a plastic bag containing the 30# of mayo, and the plastic bag is not sealed. Both are delivered unrefrigerated, and can be stored unrefrigerated. The bucket packaging is preferred, because hey, free buckets, and it's easier to scrape the last of the mayo out of a bucket than to squeeze it out of a big plastic bag.

The "unrefrigerated" part only becomes a hassle when we end up with a substitute driver who delivers it directly to the kitchen, and we're left to pack 150 pounds of mayonnaise back down to the downstairs walk-in cooler that the driver passed on his way to the elevator.
Okay, I know that our mothers' fears about mayo going bad after a few hours are based on handed down (and mostly obsolete) experience with old homemade recipes, and that commercial mayo doesn't go bad so quickly. But does anyone here actually not refrigerate mayo after opening the jar?!? How long do you keep an unrefrigerated jar before using it up? Does the taste or consistency change over time?
Old 01-04-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commasense View Post
Okay, I know that our mothers' fears about mayo going bad after a few hours are based on handed down (and mostly obsolete) experience with old homemade recipes, and that commercial mayo doesn't go bad so quickly. But does anyone here actually not refrigerate mayo after opening the jar?!? How long do you keep an unrefrigerated jar before using it up? Does the taste or consistency change over time?
If I spend the time to prepare a "good" meal, I'm going to also prepare the mayonnaise from scratch. Emulsions are fun to create. There won't be any leftover homemade mayonnaise.

If I come home buzzed and want a cheese sammich. We keep a small squeeze bottle of commercial mayo in the refrigerator because it tastes better cold. Plus, the racks on the refrigerator door work great as a place to store various sauces and condiments.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
If I remember right, if they don't open during cooking, they were not appropriately fresh beforehand.

Quote:
Shrimp in particular are really high in cholesterol despite being virtually fat free- a 3 oz serving of shrimp is 19 grams protein, 1.4 grams total fat (less than 0.5 gram saturated fat), and 100 calories. Yet despite all that, it also has 179 milligrams of cholesterol, which is more than twice the 75 mg in the same amount of lean beef.

I don't know about oysters, clams, mussels, lobster, etc...
Old 01-04-2019, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

There was a rumor in the 1960's that drying out and smoking the inside of a banana peel would get you high.

Last edited by Annie-Xmas; 01-04-2019 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
If I remember right, if they don't open during cooking, they were not appropriately fresh beforehand.

Shrimp in particular are really high in cholesterol despite being virtually fat free- a 3 oz serving of shrimp is 19 grams protein, 1.4 grams total fat (less than 0.5 gram saturated fat), and 100 calories. Yet despite all that, it also has 179 milligrams of cholesterol, which is more than twice the 75 mg in the same amount of lean beef.
But, from my understanding, dietary cholesterol has little to do with blood cholesterol. Here's a link explaining it better.

Quote:
Of all the information on the nutrition facts panel on food labels, cholesterol may be the most misunderstood.

Part of the confusion comes from the fact that cholesterol in food isn't the same thing as the cholesterol that clogs arteries. To be sure, foods high in cholesterol can cause blood levels of cholesterol to rise. But only about one in three people seem to be especially susceptible to the effects of cholesterol in food.

"And even then, dietary cholesterol isn't the biggest worry when it comes to heart disease," says Kathy McManus, MS, RD, director of nutrition for Brigham & Women's Hospital in Boston. "Studies show it's only about half as important as saturated fat and trans fat in raising serum cholesterol levels."
So, I guess my use of the word "little" is debatable, but it's not as major a factor as once thought.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Another point, by the way: Dietary cholesterol is only found in foods of animal origin. You can't get any cholesterol at all from vegan foods. But you can still get plenty of saturated fat from them.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:03 PM

Clams and whiskey. The clams will turn rock hard and kill you.

Heard this as a kid. Too afraid to try it out and see if it's true or not.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
There was a rumor in the 1960's that drying out and smoking the inside of a banana peel would get you high.
This does not work. Corn silk does not work either.

I am a child of the 60's.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
(Quite rightly)
Old 01-04-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsHund View Post
Oh, and I remember one more from my mother. Never drink water or anything else after having eaten cherries or prunes (every other fruit is ok), or else you get stomach cramps. Has anybody heard about that?
Unfortunately for Zachary Taylor, he did not.
Old 01-04-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Looks like some people still believe this! I was part of that generation/demographic that was taken in by that, and dutifully baked and scraped and smoked a shitload of banana peels. Of course, we'd been bamboozled, and were placebo effect poster children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
This one is from my high school girlfriend's uber religiously stupid parents: Don't cook anything in the microwave because it makes the atoms spin backwards which WILL give you cancer.
I had a "hippie med" practitioner explain that microwaves cook by causing nuclear explosions in your food that continue long after you eat it. So radiation is beaming out of your stomach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
I have a vague recollection of someone getting a deep fried rat in their bucket o' KFC.
Well, here's a bucket without so much rat in it... Rat, Thigh, Rat, Rat, Drumstick and Rat.
Rather a lot really...
Old 01-04-2019, 03:32 PM

Drinking lots of beer will give you a 'beer belly'.

No, consuming more calories than one burns from any food source will result in the accumulation of fat deposits - which may or may not be located on one's abdominal area, depending on one's genetic disposition.
Old 01-04-2019, 03:54 PM

One my mom told me often:

You will love (insert foul food here, i.e. onions, lima beans, asparagus, etc.) when you're an adult.

Quoting Jeff Foxworthy: "Boy, what a liar Mom turned out to be."
Old 01-04-2019, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
Well, the simple solution is, you take half of the half, and the half you take will be good, and the remaining 1/4 of the onion will become even more poisonous. You can keep doing this until the pebble-sized piece of onion explodes in your fridge.
Ahh... Xeno's Bulb Bomb.

ETA: Well, I got tookin in real good-like by that there zombie thread

Last edited by I Love Me, Vol. I; 01-04-2019 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
One of the most common myths: Lima Beans taste good.
They don't?

Canned lima beans are nasty. Frozen limas are wonderful, steamed with some butter.

As for not swimming for an hour after eating, Dave Barry once told a story about one of his friends who took a bite of a hot dog UNDER WATER to disprove this.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

There's one about never soaking your beans in salted water because it will keep them from getting soft when you cook them. Actually, it makes the beans creamier and softer. No idea why that became a myth. Also, you don't have to soak beans--you can just cook them from dry, it'll just take longer.
Old 01-05-2019, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
There's one about never soaking your beans in salted water because it will keep them from getting soft when you cook them. Actually, it makes the beans creamier and softer. No idea why that became a myth. Also, you don't have to soak beans--you can just cook them from dry, it'll just take longer.
Soaking beans in salt water, or water with baking soda, is OK. Cooking them in it is not a good idea.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
Soaking beans in salt water, or water with baking soda, is OK. Cooking them in it is not a good idea.

Untrue. Salt is fine for both soaking and cooking.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

For further proof, beans cooked with very salty country ham are darned tasty and creamy. Ask any southerner.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:45 PM

Quote:

(snipped)

Don't know about shellfish, but brains are basically cholesterol with some cells in it, regardless of the species. A small can of beef or pork brains contains a 3-day RDA allowance of cholesterol, and even more when cooked with eggs, the way it's often served. Eating it once in a while won't affect a heart patient's health one way or another; the human body makes most of its own cholesterol anyway.

Fugu can definitely be deadly if not correctly preparred, due to a nerve toxin in the lining of its swim bladder.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
I had a girlfriend whose mother insisted that chewing ice would crack your tooth enamel.
There is some truth to this. Compulsively eating ice is a form of pica, often indicating iron deficiency.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardigan View Post
Drinking lots of beer will give you a 'beer belly'.

No, consuming more calories than one burns from any food source will result in the accumulation of fat deposits - which may or may not be located on one's abdominal area, depending on one's genetic disposition.
If the person drinks enough beer to lead to cirrhosis of the liver, they may get ascites, which sure LOOKS like a beer belly whether you're a man or a woman.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:46 PM

Quote:

Help on these:

Shellfish what don't open when cooked were probably dead before cooking and spoil quickly after death

Horsemeat almost everywhere is more expensive than beef because it's not as heavily produced. Why serve more expensive meat?

One of my favorite combinations is apple pie ala mode and a light beer. Don't have it too often, but no tummy issues so far!

The worms in raw fish are roundworms not tapeworms, still nasty and can grow in the stomach and intestines. Doesn't stop me from eating sashimi every week or two!

Many people have died from eating improperly prepared fugu, usually home prepared. As stated above, chefs and restaurants must be trained certified to prepare and serve fugu.

The flesh of the fish contains minute parts of the toxin (people say they can feel their lips and mouth tingle or go numb), but the main toxins are contained in the organs, particularly the liver.

Note that improperly prepared meat can potentially be toxic. When preparing game like deer, if the bile sac is accidentally punctured, it can contaminate the surrounding meat.

Last edited by lingyi; 01-06-2019 at 09:48 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
Note that improperly prepared meat can potentially be toxic. When preparing game like deer, if the bile sac is accidentally punctured, it can contaminate the surrounding meat.
Deer do not have gallbladders; neither do horses, rats, llamas, and some other animals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallbladder
Old 01-07-2019, 12:05 PM

Anyone help with this one? On a school ski trip to the Alps when I was 16, we were told (by my teacher, no less) that drinking water with cheese fondue would give us stomach ache - you must drink wine with a fondue.

As for the 'no swimming for an hour after eating' rule, my mother wouldn't even let us have a bath. She obviously missed the bit about cramping.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:21 PM

Jell-o is made from animal hides.

Oh wait, that's true. *GAG*

Last edited by Ashtura; 01-07-2019 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post
Jell-o is made from animal hides.

Oh wait, that's true. *GAG*
Yes, gelatin has an animal source. Skin, cartilage, bones. Anything with collagen in it. It's not specifically animal hides, though, as far as I know.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanVito View Post
Anyone help with this one? On a school ski trip to the Alps when I was 16, we were told (by my teacher, no less) that drinking water with cheese fondue would give us stomach ache - you must drink wine with a fondue.
I can't imagine there's a specific refutation of that, because it's just such pure bullshit on its face. But, hey, if I were 16, I wouldn't argue. "Yes, please, more wine!"
Old 01-07-2019, 07:33 PM

[QUOTE=Azeotrope;20038242]If you swallow watermelon seeds, a watermelon plant will grow in your stomach./QUOTE]

Watermelon? No, Stomach? No. But is a pea plant growing in a lung close enough?

Carrots being good for eyesight was a lie told by the British to conceal radar tech from the Nazi's.