Old 12-29-2018, 09:09 PM
Charter Member

Best movies of 2018 (or very late 2017)

Movies coming out now may take us a while to see them and movies that came out late 2017 weren't seen by a lot of us until later.

Here is my top 10 and some honorable mentions. You are not required to have 10 or to rank them. I just did it because I wanted to.

Mine:

1. Hereditary - scariest and most intense movie Iíve ever seen.

2. The Greatest Showman - my favorite musical? Les Miserables. This is right behind it. I almost made this #1.

3. Mandy - Holy cow, check this out if you havenít yet. Nic Cage in a movie perfect for him.

4. One Cut of the Dead - Japanese movie unlike any Iíve ever seen. Beyond words and well worth it. Iíll never forget the last ⅓ of it.

5. Avengers: Infinity War - uh, wow. They did make a good movie with everyone in it.

6. The Maze Runner: Death Cure - hate on me if you want, but I loved the Maze Runner trilogy and think everyone should check it out. Bought the Blu-ray pack immediately.

7. Mission Impossible Fallout - Oooh...I hoped this would be my top movie. It falls short of 4 and 5, but is still a great movie and deserves to be seen.

8. Three Identical Strangers - Look up nothing. Just watch it blind and clueless and enjoy. Youíre welcome.

9. Spider-man Into the Spider Verse - I expected to love this more than I did, but it was goodÖ.really good. Homecoming is better, though.

10. Solo - I liked this movie, what can I say?

Honorable mentions:

The Hate U Give - I have not read the book. The movie worked really well.

The Endless - released 2018 in most of the world. It is best seen with the companion movie the directors made first.

The House With the Clock in Its Walls - a personal one. The book Iíve read to my classes many times. It isnít perfect, but they tried to do a good job.

Clovehitch Killer - I have some reservations about the ending 25% or so, but this is a really worthwhile movie. Check it out.
Old 12-29-2018, 09:56 PM

Well let's see, I saw 110 films released in 2018 (not counting any that were in consideration for last year's Oscars) and will probably see Vice & Welcome to Marwen before the year is out to make it 112. It's tough to narrow it to just my top ten, I saw so many great films this year! I have them all listed on Letterboxd and these are my Top Ten:

1. Roma (see this one in a theater if at all possible!! This film has perhaps the best sound design I have ever heard.)

2. Shoplifters

3. Border

4. Searching

5. Eighth Grade

6. They Shall Not Grow Old

7. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

8. The Favourite

9. Three Identical Strangers

10. Upgrade

With my next ten being:

11. Blindspotting

12. Hereditary

13. Bohemian Rhapsody

14. A Star is Born

15. Black Panther

16. Overlord

17. Science Fair

18. Crazy Rich Asians

19. Hearts Beat Loud

20. Won't You Be My Neighbor
Old 12-29-2018, 10:23 PM
Charter Member

Not a top ten for me, these are literally every 2018 movie I have seen, in release order as listed in Wikipedia.
  • Peter Rabbit: Actually delightful, though I didn't like the trailers.
  • Black Panther: Not as great as everyone raved about.
  • Early Man: Fine, but if you're not into football/soccer a lot is probably lost.
  • Annihilation: Atmospheric, but with an ending ripped off from an old Tomb Raider game.
  • Red Sparrow: Disappointingly miserable, don't waste your time.
  • Tomb Raider: Decent, but lacklustre.
  • Rampage: Ridiculous, but of course it knows it is.
  • Avengers Infinity War: Spectacular.
  • Solo A Star Wars Story: Lots of fun, but dim and gloomy in parts.
  • Ocean's 8: Fun, but it felt like they forgot something.
  • Hotel Artemis: Enjoyed it, but nothing to write home about.
  • Incredibles 2: Wonderful, but no surprises.
  • Tag: A nice diversion on a Sunday afternoon.
  • Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom: Utter tripe.
  • Ant-Man and the Wasp: Better than the first, but mediocre by Marvel standards.
  • Mission Impossible Fallout: A thrill ride, but not its best.
  • Christopher Robin: Sweet, but missed a couple of tricks to really bring it home.
  • The House With A Clock In Its Walls: Stylish, but I didn't understand the villain's motivation.

There are about six more from 2018 I have sitting waiting to be watched, and I also haven't seen anything released since November yet. I rarely go to the cinema, so home video release dates matter more to me.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebrows 0f Doom View Post

1. Roma (see this one in a theater if at all possible!! This film has perhaps the best sound design I have ever heard.)

2. Shoplifters

3. Border

4. Searching

5. Eighth Grade

6. They Shall Not Grow Old

7. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

8. The Favourite

9. Three Identical Strangers

10. Upgrade

With my next ten being:

11. Blindspotting

12. Hereditary

13. Bohemian Rhapsody

14. A Star is Born

15. Black Panther

16. Overlord

17. Science Fair

18. Crazy Rich Asians

19. Hearts Beat Loud

20. Won't You Be My Neighbor
I don't have a list but this is a GREAT list! I've seen them all, and you sir, have excellent taste in movies.

Counting the movies I have planned for the next couple of days, I'll have seen 306 movies in the theater in 2018. I'll probably get a list together on Tuesday.
Old 12-30-2018, 01:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post

Mine:

4. One Cut of the Dead
The Maze Runner: Death Cure
The Endless
Clovehitch Killer
I saw all of yours except for these. I'm REALLY sorry I missed One Cut of the Dead. That sounds like so much fun! I don't remember it playing in Chicago, so I need to pay more attention.The Endless sounds good too. I'm sorry I missed it. I've heard of The Clovehitch Killer but it must have only played for a week and I missed it. I haven't seen any of Maze Runner movies but if a theater played the trilogy I'd go if I could.

Good for you for including Three Identical Strangers!
Old 12-30-2018, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equipoise View Post
I saw all of yours except for these. I'm REALLY sorry I missed One Cut of the Dead. That sounds like so much fun! I don't remember it playing in Chicago, so I need to pay more attention.The Endless sounds good too. I'm sorry I missed it. I've heard of The Clovehitch Killer but it must have only played for a week and I missed it. I haven't seen any of Maze Runner movies but if a theater played the trilogy I'd go if I could.

Clovehitch killer is on Amazon streaming. FYI.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:49 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Stuff I really liked:

Eighth Grade - but I'm biased. One of my best friends has a part in it.
Black Panther - I'm continually mystified about people not liking this one.
Annihilation - Another in a great run of oddball science fiction movies. We're in a lucky time.
Avengers: Infinity War - OK, we know it won't stick, but they're getting better at writing stories.
RBG - She's our rock at the moment.
Ocean's 8 - I'm a sucker for a heist movie, even one that's pretty kissy kissy to the culture of celebrity
Teen Titans GO! To the Movies - Again, a silly film but it knows exactly what it is and enjoys doing it.
BlacKkKlansman - Holy Cow, what a great movie with a lot to say. Spike's best in years.

I'm still pissed off that I haven't been able to see Anna and the Apocalypse or On the Basis of Sex down here.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:18 PM

I didn't see many movies this year but I'd put Upgrade at the top of the heap.

ETA: Then again, I haven't seen Sorry to Bother You yet. FTR, I thought Annihilation was the worst science fiction movie since A.I. and I thought RGB was good but not great (it was informative but not insightful).

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 12-30-2018 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12-30-2018, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

To me, the Maze Runner movies fall into the "everyone else is wrong except my wife and me" category. I think those three movies are fantastic. My wife went and read the books and she thinks the movies are even better. I'm amazed they did not perform better.

The Endless is good, but you need to see Revolution from the same directors. It is a spoiler to say why Revolution is so essential, but it is and elevates the Endless for anyone who can watch both.

Yes, everyone will need to see One Cut of the Dead on DVD/streaming in 2019. It's the best "go in with absolutely no idea and leave with your jaw on the floor" movie I've seen in years. It is not a spoiler to say it opens with a 37-minute one-take shot that is real....and.....OK, I'll spoil it in the spoier box because it is probably worth it for those on the edge of not know if it is for them:

SPOILER:
The opening is a 37 minute opening take. The final 30-35 minutes replays that opening shot and shows them making it, but not in a "making of" way. It is a fictional version of a making of that actually shows that the opening 37 minutes wasn't just a one-take, but also filmed another mini-movie at the same time. 37 minutes, two movies were kind of being made. Hard to explain, but you HAVE to see this movie. I haven't laughed as hard as the finale to this movie in a long time.

Last edited by Mahaloth; 12-30-2018 at 03:17 PM.
Old 12-31-2018, 07:28 PM

I have to second Equipoise's commendation of Eyebrows of Doom's list. If I couldn't have my own list, I'd be pretty happy with this one.

However, I can have my own list, so here it is, chronologically, not first to last. My top choices change day to day to match my mood- I keep this list for friends and family who ask me (knowing I see a lot of movies) "what's good"? I can recommend all of these enthusiastically)

Black Panther
Isle of Dogs
Gemini
A Quiet Place
Lean on Pete
You Were Never Really Here
The Rider
First Reformed
Incredibles 2
Leave no Trace
Won't You Be My Neighbor
Eighth Grade
Blindspotting
Crazy Rich Asians
Support the Girls
A Simple Favor
Wildlife
The Favourite
Roma
Shoplifters

And also worth a look see:

Annihilation
Oh Lucy!
The Death of Stalin
Tully
Upgrade
Hearts Beat Loud
BlacKkKlansman
Juliet, Naked
Searching
Pick Of The Litter
The Sisters Brothers
Collette
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
Cold War
If Beale Street Could Talk
Old 01-05-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
I don't have a list but this is a GREAT list! I've seen them all, and you sir, have excellent taste in movies.

Counting the movies I have planned for the next couple of days, I'll have seen 306 movies in the theater in 2018. I'll probably get a list together on Tuesday.
Thanks! Iím thankful that MoviePass and A-List have allowed me to see so many great films!

I have to add another to my top ten: The Rider. I missed this one when it came out earlier in the year but an AMC near me is playing it for one week and I just caught it today. What a superb beautiful piece of filmmaking!
Old 01-05-2019, 05:28 PM

Of the ones I saw:

Wind River
Avengers: Infinity War
Incredibles 2
You Were Never Really Here
Old 01-06-2019, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
Clovehitch killer is on Amazon streaming. FYI.
I don't watch movies at home unfortunately. If I miss something in the theater I may never see it. That wasn't the case years ago, and may change in years to come, but at this point in my life it's the way it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
Eighth Grade - but I'm biased. One of my best friends has a part in it.
Cool, what part? Great list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peccavi View Post
Gemini
Lean on Pete
The Rider
First Reformed
Oh Lucy!
Tully
Cold War
I've seen all the movies on your (GREAT!) list except for these. I went to see First Reformed but fell asleep. That's no reflection on the movie, just on the fact that I got up at 5:00am, worked all day, then tried to watch a slow, quiet movie without benefit of NoDoze. I meant to go back and see it again, but it came and went very quickly and never opened in another theater so I missed it. Cold War hasn't opened here in Chicago yet. It's supposed to open at the Music Box on the 18th and of course I'll see it even though I hate the trailer. Of the others, I haven't heard of Gemini or Oh Lucy!, and the rest I sadly missed when they played.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebrows 0f Doom View Post
Thanks! Iím thankful that MoviePass and A-List have allowed me to see so many great films!
I cancelled MoviePass when they went tharn, but used the absolute hell out of it while I could, especially last year when I saw 220 movies using it. Now I'm using the absolute hell out of A*List. When I see all 3 movies a week, and I do, it works out to about $1.86 per movie, and as you know we can use it for IMAX, Dine-In, D-Box, 3D, 3D IMAX, anything except Fathom. It's such an incredible deal.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:42 PM

I think A Star is Born, Won't You Be My Neighbor, and Avengers: Infinity War were the best films I saw in 2018. (All three, in theater.)
Old 01-07-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
I don't watch movies at home unfortunately. If I miss something in the theater I may never see it. That wasn't the case years ago, and may change in years to come, but at this point in my life it's the way it is.
I am the same way. I will watch movies at home, but I find that (for me) there is a substantial difference between watching on the big screen and watching on my 60" screen. I know the theaters with the most respectful audiences and don't encounter the litany of problems others seem to encounter. My list is only those films I've seen "properly".

Quote:
I've seen all the movies on your (GREAT!) list except for these. I went to see First Reformed but fell asleep. That's no reflection on the movie, just on the fact that I got up at 5:00am, worked all day, then tried to watch a slow, quiet movie without benefit of NoDoze. I meant to go back and see it again, but it came and went very quickly and never opened in another theater so I missed it. Cold War hasn't opened here in Chicago yet. It's supposed to open at the Music Box on the 18th and of course I'll see it even though I hate the trailer. Of the others, I haven't heard of Gemini or Oh Lucy!, and the rest I sadly missed when they played.
Gemini and Oh Lucy! are minor delights and unlikely to make any awards lists, but are well worth searching out. I like movies that take you in an unexpected direction, if the director can pull it off, and both do this.

I would say the essentials on this short list are Lean on Pete and The Rider (I see that The Rider has already won a "best of 2018" film critics award). You will come out of both of these feeling a bit pummeled (trigger warning for simulated animal suffering!), but the story and the characters will stick with you and make you think.

I can see falling asleep in First Reformed. The movie starts out very dour, with a controlled inner performance by Ethan Hawke. It isn't until the last act that all that slow angst pays off and the wheels come off of Hawke's character's carefully contained life. On my personal list, not the best movie I've seen this year, but definitely one of the best performances (in a funny way, Tully is the same).

Cold War? Well Cold War is two ferocious performances in the story of a folie ŗ deux love affair. Don't try to make sense of the plot, just watch as these two alternately cling and tear at each other for 25 years.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

I haven't seen many films last year, but, going over my movie log, the best I saw was clearly Isle of Dogs
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

I just watched The Endless last night and liked it a lot. The previous movie is really that essential? Does it add much now that I've already watched The Endless, or should I not bother?
Old 01-07-2019, 06:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Torque View Post
I just watched The Endless last night and liked it a lot. The previous movie is really that essential? Does it add much now that I've already watched The Endless, or should I not bother?
Endless works fine on its own. I would still go back and watch it, though.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:50 PM

Paddington 2. I'm not even kidding - it's a wonderful film.