Old 12-25-2018, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

You can think of the tunnel as a version of Checkpoint Charlie if you like. Personally, I treat the show as a metaphor for the silliness of all human conflict. During the Cold War, East and West Germany were bitter enemies despite having the same history up until the end of the Second World War. And in the show, Earth Alpha and Earth Prime had the same history until the incident that resulted in the parallel worlds.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:28 AM

I’m pretty much with Ellis Dee: I like the show a lot, but there are some serious contrivances that one must handwave away, and I feel like the brilliant underlying concept and the execution of so much else tells me they could have done better.

To pick at Interface a little more: why does it even exist to begin with? If they have diplomats and customs, why do they need people (who are not “read in”) wearing elaborate Fifties costumes and communicating in code? (There can’t be very much communicated in each encounter, when you think about it and how constrained their cipher is: maybe the equivalent of a word or two?) TBH, I think this is something they thought would be cool in the pilot, but then abandoned it once the series got underway.

An example of why I feel that they are more thorough in many other ways: I love the detail that Peter has installed this heavy duty lock in the room where he stays. We see that he is working counterintelligence against his wife, but what was the excuse he told her, I wonder? Just that he was afraid she might one day murder him in his sleep?
Old 01-04-2019, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

Peter needs no "excuse" for distrusting his wife. He knows that she is from the other side and sent to spy on him and she knows that he knows.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:46 PM

But he has pretended at times to be more “with her” than he actually was.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
But he has pretended at times to be more “with her” than he actually was.
They both know that they are actively against each other's teams, but they have to protect each other individually to keep themselves safe.
Old 01-04-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
They both know that they are actively against each other's teams, but they have to protect each other individually to keep themselves safe.

I guess I took a different initial impression from the intentional car crash: that he seemed to be just saying “fuck it” and joining her “team”. Not out of true-believer fanaticism (and BTW, one wonders whether her “true belief” is shaken now that she knows Pope had her parents killed), but out of a pragmatic self-preservation drive, combined with having never been very ideological to begin with.

Then when we saw he was bugging her shoe, I was a little surprised (and pleased, as I always kind of liked Peter’s character). But I took that as something he was engaging in way on the DL, while maintaining an outward facade to her of “I’m not going to be your lover, but I am professionally working in concert with you” while working with her to maintain the further-out facade of married normalcy to her parents et al.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:37 PM

Ah, yeah, I see how you got there. Your reasoning makes sense, though that wasn't my take-away.

I think both of them put Spencer above everything else; over the job/cause, each other, and even themselves. The car accident was to provide a cover for the family so they could keep Spencer.

Right after the car accident (between seasons) they sold the house and bought a fortifiable apartment they could share while still feeling reasonably safe from each other, since the trust at that point was almost nil. As the months went on they have gradually begun trusting each other a tiny bit, like eating food the other prepared. But not so much as to abandon the nighttime fortifications.

The whole time they've both still been openly aligned with their opposing causes, and they both know it. But by now it's more like opposing spies who occasionally share non-critical intel to help each other out. Sort of like every spy relationship you see on a show like Homeland.

Bugging her shoe was him still working for his cause, which she wouldn't see as a betrayal in and of itself because she knows he's actively working against her cause. The problem is that by doing so he blew her cover, which is a major problem for both of them because it puts their family (Spencer) at risk.

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 01-04-2019 at 10:38 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:38 PM

Have we seen evidence that she has fortifications of her own?
Old 01-05-2019, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
Have we seen evidence that she has fortifications of her own?
We haven't seen her room, but I wouldn't be surprised if she does or doesn't.
Old 01-05-2019, 01:37 AM

I would be surprised if she does.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:58 PM

I'm confused by the Ian storyline this episode.

As best I could tell, 10 years ago Ian Alpha was happily married on our side but then his wife died, so he went to the other side. The Ian Prime we watched all last season was actually Ian Alpha, and now for the past couple episodes he's been creeping on the Wife Prime version of his dead wife, so management sent a team to put him in check. And that just happened to coincide with him finding and researching a super secret management case.

Do I have that right, or am I way off base?
Old 01-08-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post
I'm confused by the Ian storyline this episode.

As best I could tell, 10 years ago Ian Alpha was happily married on our side but then his wife died, so he went to the other side. The Ian Prime we watched all last season was actually Ian Alpha, and now for the past couple episodes he's been creeping on the Wife Prime version of his dead wife, so management sent a team to put him in check. And that just happened to coincide with him finding and researching a super secret management case.

Do I have that right, or am I way off base?
There was no amazing coincidence-- Management has dirt on him (especially his true identity) to keep him in line, and they evidently have him under surveillance as well.

The Management team in the last one or two episodes was after Emily and the comms briefcase, I believe, not Ian.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:05 PM
Charter Member

I like the show but I'm constantly having to figure out whether I'm seeing the Alpha version of a character or the Prime version or the Prime version pretending to be the Alpha version. And something in the most recent episode had me wondering if the show's complexity (endless moles, double-cross on top of double-cross and unseen, mysterious management) is getting just too ridiculous. I began to suspect this when
SPOILER:
Peter Quayle Alpha was about to kill himself to protect the secret that his wife Clare was actually Clare Prime pretending to be Clare Alpha and was Shadow, the mole everyone was looking for. But as he's trying to get the courage up to shoot himself, a woman (whom we haven't seen previously?) walks in, tells him to tell them that she was Shadow, and kills herself to protect Clare Prime's secret identity.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
SPOILER:
Peter Quayle Alpha was about to kill himself to protect the secret that his wife Clare was actually Clare Prime pretending to be Clare Alpha and was Shadow, the mole everyone was looking for. But as he's trying to get the courage up to shoot himself, a woman (whom we haven't seen previously?) walks in, tells him to tell them that she was Shadow, and kills herself to protect Clare Prime's secret identity.
SPOILER:

She was seen before, as one of Peter's underlings. Evidently some kind of secretary, as she schedules his appointments as well as brings him coffee.

She rubs out Lambert in order to protect Clare's identity, along with that of every other Indigo agent. However, she says she was specifically ordered to sacrifice herself as cover for Quayle as he is "important". (OTOH, Clare was ordered to "torch" Peter herself in case they did not get to Lambert in time.)
Old 01-08-2019, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

Yes, but is that kind of thing occurring in the show just a bit too far, that it makes it all ridiculous? I'm beginning to suspect that it does.