Old 09-19-2018, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
While I’m going there, who can explain to me the point of creating a new character and giving her the same name as a famous Golden Age hero? Will they next introduce a hero who can blind villains with bursts of strong light, and call her the Flash?

How hard would it have been to come up with an original name for this person? They could have called her...I dunno...Super-Girl or sumpin.’
As I understand it, that was the point: DC got the rights to the existing character; but given how long it was when that name wasn’t vigorously getting put out there, Marvel realized they could stake a claim by introducing an all-new all-different Cap; and, as a result, DC lost the ability to put a CAPTAIN MARVEL comic out there, and had to start trying to make “Shazam” happen.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
I don't know the character at all but I'm very interested after watching the trailer.
I mostly know of the character from my comic-reading childhood as the person that Rouge sucked her strength and invunerability out of.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:06 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Thanks, TOWP. And shame on DC for trying to bury this great character, AGAIN.

I really enjoyed Cap’s occasional appearances on the animated Justice League series...

Batman: “Where’s the Boy Scout?”
Superman: “I thought I was the Boy Scout.”
Batman: “That was before I met him.”
Old 09-19-2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:
While I’m going there, who can explain to me the point of creating a new character and giving her the same name as a famous Golden Age hero? Will they next introduce a hero who can blind villains with bursts of strong light, and call her the Flash?

How hard would it have been to come up with an original name for this person? They could have called her...I dunno...Super-Girl or sumpin.’
Marvel's Captain Marvel isn't particularly new. The character has been around in some iteration or other since the 60's.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:14 PM

Quote:

I know it's been answered, but Little Nemo gave an excellent summary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
It's complicated.

DC Comics created Superman in 1938 and he was a big success. So a lot of other comic book companies created similar characters. One of these companies was Fawcett, which created the character of Captain Marvel in 1939.

There were differences in the characters' non-hero identities. Superman was an alien who came to Earth as a baby when his own planet was destroyed. He grew up in Kansas under the identity of Clark Kent. Captain Marvel was a young boy named Billy Batson, who was told a magic spell (he says the word "Shazam") that could transform him into an adult superhero. But as superheros, the two characters had very similar powers and carried out very similar stories.

Captain Marvel was also a major commercial success but DC filed lawsuits against Fawcett over character infringement. Sales declined and Fawcett retired the character in 1953.

DC Comics licensed the rights to Captain Marvel from Fawcett in 1972 and bought them outright in 1993. So Captain Marvel now appears as a DC character alongside Superman.

And this was the simple part of the story.

Marvel comics led a revival of comic book in the early sixties, introducing a whole line of new characters (such as the Fantastic Four, the X-Men, Thor, Iron Man, Spiderman, etc). They created a character named Captain Marvel in 1967. Note that this was during the period between 1953, when Fawcett stopped using the character, and 1972, when DC acquired the rights. So nobody much cared if a different character named Captain Marvel existed.

After DC revived the original character, there were issues over the use of the name by Marvel's character. It was decided that Marvel could keep the name as long as they didn't let it fall into disuse. DC was also allowed to use the name in relation to the original character. But Marvel had the rights to use Captain Marvel as the title of a comic book series so DC began publishing stories about their Captain Marvel under the title Shazam!. This led to some confusion as people thought the character was named Shazam.

So Marvel makes sure to publish new comic books with a character named Captain Marvel at least once every two years so they retain their rights. But they haven't consistently used it for a single character.

The original Marvel Captain Marvel was an alien named Mar-Vell, who came to Earth with super powers. This character died a dramatic death due to cancer in 1982 (it was considered a major moment in comic book history to have a superhero character die from natural causes and stay dead.)

But Marvel had to make sure the name stayed alive even after the character died, so they introduced a new character named Monica Rambeau, a police officer who acquired super-powers and joined the Avengers. She used the name Captain Marvel for several years.

There were also several other characters who were successors to the now-dead Mar-Vell who also used the name Captain Marvel after Rambeau stopped using it. None of them were very significant but they served to keep the name in use.

Meanwhile, there was another Marvel character named Carol Danvers, who was introduced in 1968. She acquired super-powers from the original Mar-Vell and adopted the name Ms Marvel. As Ms Marvel, she was a fairly significant character for many years. In 2012, she decided to change her name to Captain Marvel in honor of Mar-Vell. (Another younger woman named Kamala Khan adopted the name of Ms Marvel and made comic book history by being the first major openly Muslim character in comic books.) Danvers is the current Captain Marvel in the Marvel universe and she is the protagonist of the upcoming MCU movie.

With Marvel's character having eclipsed the original one and not being able to use the name as the title of a series, DC finally decided to throw in the towel and renamed their Captain Marvel as Shazam in 2011.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
Well, you were TRYING to, but you didn't actually succeed.
Literally all of them but two made less money. By a lot.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
Literally all of them but two made less money. By a lot.
You said 6-7 earlier. Make up your mind.

https://www.the-numbers.com/movies/f...se#tab=summary

The fact is, you're wrong. The Phase 2 movies made more money than the Phase 1 movies. The Phase 3 movies made more than the Phase 2 movies. The only exception was the first Avengers movie.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
You said 6-7 earlier. Make up your mind.

https://www.the-numbers.com/movies/f...se#tab=summary

The fact is, you're wrong. The Phase 2 movies made more money than the Phase 1 movies. The Phase 3 movies made more than the Phase 2 movies. The only exception was the first Avengers movie.
RikWriter, you're not paying attention to the conflation in the discussion of movies that out-grossed Iron Man, and movies that out-grossed Avengers. The list he gave was of the former, to point out that later movies barely even managed to outdo the original MCU movie. That list is not a list of movies that out-grossed the first Avengers movie (his claim is only two did so (before this year?)).
Old 09-19-2018, 11:11 PM

Quote:

I really enjoyed Cap’s occasional appearances on the animated Justice League series...

Kind of answered above, but DC actually didn't have the rights for Captain Marvel and the other Fawcett characters when Marvel launched their Captain Marvel.

And before Marvel used the name, schlockmeister Myron Fass' short-lived MF Publications noticed that no one seemed to care about the Captain Marvel name and launched an unrelated Captain Marvel title in the mid-60s. This CM got his powers from a magic amulet and his magic word was Split!, and he could split off and animate his separate body parts. It's considered one of the worst comics of all time.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:18 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
I figure anyone who opens this thread probably even could recite what all the letters in “Shazam” stand for.
Damn. I got "Mercury" wrong.

See, that's why I'm so confused. That's the Captain Marvel I remember.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
I mostly know of the character from my comic-reading childhood as the person that Rouge sucked her strength and invunerability out of.
Maybe Rouge wouldn't have done so if she didn't wear so much makeup. It wasn't intentional, she was just seeing Red.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:36 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
Damn. I got "Mercury" wrong.
What did you stick in there instead? “Moloch” would have changed the character considerably.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:53 AM

Quote:

The original Marvel's Captain Marvel was a him, not a her.

They did it because at the time DC had sued Fawcett for breaching copyright and making a Superman clone, so Captain Marvel stopped being published and the name became available as a trademark. It was sort of a "hey, the whole 'Marvel' thing is our thing!' and sort of getting one over the Distinguished Competition.

By the way, there was another Captain Marvel who took the name when Carol Danvers disappeared for a while, who happened to have light-based powers, coincidentally.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_Arachnid_Laser View Post
By the way, there was another Captain Marvel who took the name when Carol Danvers disappeared for a while, who happened to have light-based powers, coincidentally.
That character's mother will be in the Captain Marvel movie as one of Danvers' squad. Her current superhero name is her mother's call-sign in the movie - Photon.

Last edited by epbrown01; 09-20-2018 at 06:00 AM.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:21 AM

And this was noticed yesterday but there is a cat in the lower right corner of the Captain Marvel poster:

https://www.cnet.com/news/captain-ma...ally-an-alien/
Old 09-20-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:

There was a rather clever animated episode (Justice League, I think), where an evil wizard-child (the one who hassles Jason Blood) splits Earth into two versions, one with all the children and one with all the adults. Only Billy Batson/Captain Marvel can travel between the worlds.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
There was a rather clever animated episode (Justice League, I think), where an evil wizard-child (the one who hassles Jason Blood) splits Earth into two versions, one with all the children and one with all the adults. Only Billy Batson/Captain Marvel can travel between the worlds.
Ah. It was an episode of Young Justice, featuring Klarion http://youngjustice.wikia.com/wiki/Misplaced
Old 09-20-2018, 10:01 AM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Quote:
Thank you, Chronos. I just edited to delete the damn link as unnecessary. I figure anyone who opens this thread probably even could recite what all the letters in “Shazam” stand for.
Strength
Health
Aptitude
Zeal
Ox, Power of
Ox, Power of Another
Money!!!

No, wait. That's Captain Marbles.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:19 AM

epbrown01:

Quote:
That character's mother will be in the Captain Marvel movie as one of Danvers' squad. Her current superhero name is her mother's call-sign in the movie - Photon.
I believe she currently goes by "Spectrum", though she did indeed use "Photon" in the past.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:01 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Strength
Health
Aptitude
Zeal
Ox, Power of
Ox, Power of Another
Money!!!
Hee hee. I had nearly forgotten about him. “Ox, Power of Another.” (Snicker)

I have COMPLETELY forgotten what Mary Marvel’s letters were, although I suspect she had Aphrodite for Beauty because of the damn lousy sexist writers. I hope “h” was for Hecate.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:05 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Possibly it was Helen for Beauty, even if she accomplished nothing aside from screwing Menelaus and Paris and starting a big-ass war. I refuse to look it up.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:37 PM

After re-watching the trailer, I've got to wonder - have Brie Larson and Emily van Camp ever been seen together?
Old 09-20-2018, 01:09 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Strength
Health
Aptitude
Zeal
Ox, Power of
Ox, Power of Another
Money!!!

No, wait. That's Captain Marbles.
Quote:
Hee hee. I had nearly forgotten about him. “Ox, Power of Another.” (Snicker)
Actually, I first became aware of Captain Marvel through that parody.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

OK, so now that we got the DC vs Marvel "Captain Marvel" thing figured out, I have another question. Is Carol Danvers a.k.a. Captain Marvel any relation to Kara Danvers a.k.a. Supergirl?
Old 09-20-2018, 03:22 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
OK, so now that we got the DC vs Marvel "Captain Marvel" thing figured out, I have another question. Is Carol Danvers a.k.a. Captain Marvel any relation to Kara Danvers a.k.a. Supergirl?
Nope, just parallel evolution on the surnames, as far as I know. Despite the occasional non-canon crossovers between DC and Marvel characters, the two characters inhabit totally different universes.

Last edited by kenobi 65; 09-20-2018 at 03:25 PM.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_Arachnid_Laser View Post
The original Marvel's Captain Marvel was a him, not a her.

They did it because at the time DC had sued Fawcett for breaching copyright and making a Superman clone, so Captain Marvel stopped being published and the name became available as a trademark. It was sort of a "hey, the whole 'Marvel' thing is our thing!' and sort of getting one over the Distinguished Competition.

There was also Marvelman, who was the UK version. Evidently, all these people figured naming their superheroes some variation of "Captain Marvel" would retain a bigger audience.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Yeah, I'd like to see that on screen. I was disappointed that Anna Paquin wasn't the team's powerhouse by the time X-Men 2 or 3 rolled around. I'm kind of hoping somewhere down the line the MCU includes the X-Men encountering Captain (nee Miss) Marvel and works that in.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:35 PM

Related to absolutely nothing... Jean Grey was once known as Marvel Girl.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:55 AM

New trailer is out. Or rather, Marvel Studios is calling this a "special look" at the movie. They probably made this in response to the criticism that Brie Larson had no expression in the previously released trailers.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic Gladiator View Post
And this was noticed yesterday but there is a cat in the lower right corner of the Captain Marvel poster:

https://www.cnet.com/news/captain-ma...ally-an-alien/
Since Disney now owns Marvel, that opens up an interesting possibilty.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cat_from_Outer_Space
Old 01-08-2019, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

I bought tickets! I'm going 2 nights in a row. On Thursday the 7th I'll see it in 2D at the Navy Pier IMAX (a REAL IMAX), and the next night I'll see it in 3D at Block 37 Dine In. Thank you AMC A*List! I'm so excited. Thanks everyone for all the background info
Old 01-08-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbh View Post
Since Disney now owns Marvel, that opens up an interesting possibilty.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cat_from_Outer_Space
Oh man, I would be down for that. There may be one big difference between That Cat From Outer Space and Captain Marvel's Cat though:

Captain Marvel's Cat
Old 01-08-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic Gladiator View Post
Oh man, I would be down for that. There may be one big difference between That Cat From Outer Space and Captain Marvel's Cat though:

Captain Marvel's Cat
So....her cat is outwardly a horrible demon from outer space as opposed to regular cats who are just horrible demons from outer space...but keep it quiet?

Also, thank you for the "first look" thing Marvel. That was the first trailer that made me think this movie actually looked GOOD.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:06 PM

Showed during last night's game. I wasn't as impressed with it as with the prior trailer.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:45 PM

Captain Marvel Featurette. A behind-the-scenes look at the movie. Brie Larson is smiling!