Old 12-30-2018, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Who's Excited About 'Mythbusters Jr.'?

The Science Channel has been promoting this new entry in the Mythbusters franchise. Adam Savage is coming back, joined by six kids who appear to be between the ages of about 12-14, give or take, three boys and three girls.

The commercials promise to "bust new myths," but to me it just looks like junior high school science experiments (such as knocking over dominoes of increasing size and weight) presented via the lens of the Mythbusters brand.

Or I could be wrong.

Either way, I imagine the show will be toned down considerably, considering the hosts are minors. Gone are alcohol myths, probably gun myths as well. Adam will obviously do the dangerous stunts, considering that neither California law nor the Mythbusters insurance company is going to allow them to put children in danger, however obliquely.

Anyone else excited about this new show?
Old 12-30-2018, 03:26 PM

I plan to watch the first few episodes. I'm curious to see what type of myths they investigate.

I hope they are more science based. The original show did some great experiments in the early seasons. Remember them testing the three second rule? Mythbusters counted how much bacteria grew from food that touched the floor. Finding the dirtiest place in the bathroom was another great science based myth.

Teenagers can safely do experiments like that and it's great content for the Science Channel.

I don't expect to see any bombs go off in this version of the show. LOL

Last edited by aceplace57; 12-30-2018 at 03:29 PM.
Old 12-30-2018, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

Anything that gets more people, especially kids, interested in science is good in my book. I just hope they don't go the Bill Nye route.
Old 12-30-2018, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Anything that gets more people, especially kids, interested in science is good in my book. I just hope they don't go the Bill Nye route.
I can think of several things not to like about Bill Nye. What do you mean?
Old 12-30-2018, 06:17 PM

Judging by the trailers, it looks like it will be largely the same, but using child labor to construct the test rigs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6KI_acf-QQ

I actually wouldn't be surprised if they keep the bombs. In the original show, it was always the bomb techs doing it all, and the crew would just sit in a bunker. It's not really dangerous.

It will probably be things more like, "Can you chop a gun muzzle in two with a katana?", that they won't film. Working with sharp swords for a few days would almost certainly result in some kids cutting themselves up, either through accident or fooling around.
Old 12-30-2018, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

In my experience, Bill Nye (at least, on his show) is less about doing science, and more about doing zany stuff while saying "Science!" in a loud and excited tone of voice. Mythbusters does zany and excited, but they do it while doing science.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Watched Wednesday's episode last night on the DVR, and I have to say, it exceeded my expectations!

For one thing, they actually busted myths. I don't know where they got either of their myths - probably from a brainstorming session among writers - but nevertheless they actually tested myths. I had just figured they were going to teach science lessons under the guys of the Mythbusters brand.

Another thing that impressed me was Adam's genuine love and affection for the kids. He really seemed to relate to them and to genuinely care for them - witness his enthusiasm and patience while teaching the young lad to drive during the "Duct Tape Tire" myth.

All-told, I think Science Channel has hit a home run with this.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:25 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Today, they're testing the explosiveness of air fresheners in a confined space. They've rigged a remote lighter and cigarette in a car. One of the kids mentioned how disgusting smoking is and Adam commented that this was the real reason dinosaurs went extinct.
Couldn't have been anything but a reference to this.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:00 PM

The dog shaking off water experiment was interesting. The kids were really into it.

They didn't do much with explosive Air Freshener except push buttons for experiments setup by the crew. I didn't catch the fabricators name.

Interesting show. I'll keep watching.

Last edited by aceplace57; 01-09-2019 at 11:02 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
In my experience, Bill Nye (at least, on his show) is less about doing science, and more about doing zany stuff while saying "Science!" in a loud and excited tone of voice. Mythbusters does zany and excited, but they do it while doing science.
I preferred Beakman's World. Zany characters, no kids on the show (can't stand kids trying to act and sound like adults) and some real science and info. Also enjoyed Mr. Wizard, both the original and 80's Nickoldeon version with kids acting courteously and genuinely trying to learn. Not trying to prove what THEY know (or far more often what they think they know but don't.). I especially liked that Mr. Wizard would ask the kids to form a hypothesis before doing the experiment. You know, REAL science!

Last edited by lingyi; 01-09-2019 at 11:39 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

I've never actually seen the Beakman show (though the comic strip did run in the local newspaper for a while), but Mr. Wizard was great.