Old 01-05-2019, 01:11 PM

So I bought a butter bell...

and it is amazing. Until I started making herbal butter infusions, I'd never heard of them.

What other little everyday miracles have we forgotten about?
Old 01-05-2019, 05:44 PM

Hot-water bottles. You can keep your electric heating pads and blankets and whatnot, that toasty cozy lump of heat in the bed is the best.

Ricers. I can have potatoes or chestnuts or whatever cranked through a ricer in half the time it takes to figure out where the food processor's got to and get it set up and plugged in.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:03 PM

I just bought a butter bell too! Nothing to add, just a shout out of Butter Bell solidarity.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:19 PM

I loves my butter bell! As far as other things, I use parchment paper for everything. I never use Pam to grease cookie sheets or pans any more. So easy.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:21 PM

I bought a butter bell a couple of months ago. I think I first heard of them here. I was a margarine guy up til then. Works pretty good, but every once in a while the butter will let go and plop into the water. Small price to pay.
Old 01-05-2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
I loves my butter bell! As far as other things, I use parchment paper for everything. I never use Pam to grease cookie sheets or pans any more. So easy.

Oh, I LOVE a parchment paper. Amazing stuff.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3trew View Post
... I'd never heard of them.
I just looked it up and still don't know what it is.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:38 AM

I'm also a big fan of parchment paper.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Here's a Youtube demonstration. I've had one for years and I love it.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:52 AM

I love mine, but be sure to change the water every week.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
I've never heard the term "butter bell". I use "butter keeper" and here's the one I bought on Amazon.

Essentially, it lets you keep butter out at room temperature. It's out on your counter with butter in the smaller cup. The butter is soft and spreadable. It's a nice convenience, but can be a pain to maintain. My house goes through butter so fast that I was re-filling it almost daily. I liked the spreadable butter part though.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
Essentially, it lets you keep butter out at room temperature. It's out on your counter with butter in the smaller cup. The butter is soft and spreadable.
I don't use a butter bell and my butter, which I keep at room temperature, is already soft and spreadable. Is there some benefit I'm missing? Or is this a thing only for places where "room temperature" normally exceeds the melting point of butter?
Old 01-06-2019, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychonaut View Post
I don't use a butter bell and my butter, which I keep at room temperature, is already soft and spreadable. Is there some benefit I'm missing? Or is this a thing only for places where "room temperature" normally exceeds the melting point of butter?
I also keep butter at room temp without using a butter bell. I just keep it covered. The advantage of the a butter bell is the air-tight seal provided by the water.

It'll stay better longer with the water seal but I never have issues with my butter going bad left out... even after a week or two.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:33 PM

I've not had it go bad, but in a bowl it melts (I keep my place quite warm for annoying medical reasons) and in the bell it doesn't. I've given up on figuring that out and just assume the local faeries appreciate the effort.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
I have been trying to get away from disposable stuff as much as possible, and have been using silicon mats for my cookie sheets for all but super hi-temp cooking. They are awesome! Now if only they existed for standard-size cake pans, for example...
Old 01-06-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva Luna View Post
I have been trying to get away from disposable stuff as much as possible, and have been using silicon mats for my cookie sheets for all but super hi-temp cooking. They are awesome! Now if only they existed for standard-size cake pans, for example...
If you're near an Ikea, they have (or used to have) very cheap, large baking mats that you can cut into cake pan circles.
Old 01-06-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychonaut View Post
The water keeps it slightly cooler than room temperature, so it is spreadable, but not too soft.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
Here's a Youtube demonstration. I've had one for years and I love it.
My internet is water-cooler cups and used dental floss. Sorry, can't see that.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
I've never heard the term "butter bell". I use "butter keeper" and here's the one I bought on Amazon.
$42 bucks!? My 4.99 glass covered butter dish works just fine. No melting, no going bad, no fussy workings.

Quoth MadMonk28,
“The water keeps it slightly cooler than room temperature, so it is spreadable, but not too soft.”

How does that work exactly?

Last edited by Lucas Jackson; 01-07-2019 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Jackson View Post
...Quoth MadMonk28,
“The water keeps it slightly cooler than room temperature, so it is spreadable, but not too soft.”

How does that work exactly?
I assume a little of the water evaporates, cooling the butter slightly.

It looks awfully fussy, and a little wasteful. You have to soften the butter, then smash it into the bell, then throw away the butter that stuck to the plate you softened it on, and to the spoon you used to transfer it. You probably lose some butter every time the butter runs out, too, as you presumably way to clean the bell from time to time.

I was thinking of getting my husband one as a gift, after seeing everyone rave about it. But watching the video and thinking about the practicality of the thing, I think he'd be happier with a heavy covered butter tray that the cats can't open. Something shaped so it's easy to drop a quarter-pound stick on the tray, with or without the protective paper wrapping. I bet it would keep nearly as well, too.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poysyn View Post
Oh, I LOVE a parchment paper. Amazing stuff.
I love it, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva Luna View Post
If I'm making relatively "clean" stuff, I re-use the parchment. So, if I cook meringue cookies, I usually tuck away the parchment in the baking tray, and use it the next time I make cookies.

The doesn't work as well for greasier cookies, but most of the other cookies I make don't really need it. It's easy to pick up chocolate chip cookies directly from an ungreased baking sheet using a metal spatula, when they are still slightly warm, for instance.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:46 PM
Charter Member

Parchment is great for cookies and such, but I do a lot of stuff in the oven that is at or over the maximum temp of parchment (the 425-450 degree range), so rather than parchment, I use a lot of non-stick aluminum foil. That stuff rocks. No greasing, no sticking.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:25 PM

We've always left our butter out in the cooler months in a glass container with airtight lid. However, in the summer it gets too soft. We tried a butterbell but found the butter molds too quickly. We don't use a lot of butter so were not sure if it was us using it too slowly or what was going on. We are back to the former glass container for 9 months of the year and the fridge for the other 3 months.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguy123 View Post
We've always left our butter out in the cooler months in a glass container with airtight lid. However, in the summer it gets too soft. We tried a butterbell but found the butter molds too quickly. We don't use a lot of butter so were not sure if it was us using it too slowly or what was going on. We are back to the former glass container for 9 months of the year and the fridge for the other 3 months.
You really have to be vigilant about changing the water and rinsing out the butter bell every week or else you'll get mold. I had to stop using mine because I travel a lot for work and my wife didn't keep up with changing the water.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
You really have to be vigilant about changing the water and rinsing out the butter bell every week or else you'll get mold. I had to stop using mine because I travel a lot for work and my wife didn't keep up with changing the water.
It seems a small Pyrex with sealing lid is the simpler and more sanitary way for us then. I don't think we've ever had butter mold using that method.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
I assume a little of the water evaporates, cooling the butter slightly.

It looks awfully fussy, and a little wasteful. You have to soften the butter, then smash it into the bell, then throw away the butter that stuck to the plate you softened it on, and to the spoon you used to transfer it. You probably lose some butter every time the butter runs out, too, as you presumably way to clean the bell from time to time.

I was thinking of getting my husband one as a gift, after seeing everyone rave about it. But watching the video and thinking about the practicality of the thing, I think he'd be happier with a heavy covered butter tray that the cats can't open. Something shaped so it's easy to drop a quarter-pound stick on the tray, with or without the protective paper wrapping. I bet it would keep nearly as well, too.
I agree with all of that -- except there's no need to have cats.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Essentially, it lets you keep butter out at room temperature.
Not at my house where room temperature most of the year is 68 degrees or less. I had one and got rid of it because there are so few times when room temperature at my house = spreadable butter temperature.

I also found this gadget to be useless.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:52 PM

I love my butter bell. I use a lot of Country Crock, etc, because I like spreadable when I'm not baking. Grilled cheese, for example.

This isn't exactly an invention and is super weird given I've lived almost my whole life in the Northeast, but scarves are awesome. I hate cold weather and my face gets so cold but I toughed it out, barely even buttoning my coat for years. I wear a scarf now on windy and/or cold days (under 30F) and I can tough it out more.

Also, I got some foam tubing stuff, soft and squishy, not like pool noodles, and I stuffed it down between my car's seat and the center console. When I inevitably drop stuff, it's sitting right there and not wedged down deep where fingers can't get it.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimstu View Post
Hot-water bottles. You can keep your electric heating pads and blankets and whatnot, that toasty cozy lump of heat in the bed is the best.
I had one burst on me as a kid - fortunately it was cool enough that I only burned slightly, but I burned enough that they terrify me.......I use a rice sock....which is what it sounds like. Take a tube sock, fill it with rice (and lavender or rosemary or something else if you want), tie off the end. Microwave 2 1/2 minutes.