Old 10-17-2018, 08:23 PM

The Conners (open spoilers)

I just watched the series premiere. I though it was funny. It felt true the original series. I think Darlene will fill her mother's role nicely. I still wonder if we'll ever see Jerry or Andy.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:54 PM

I want to like the show, but I just can't get past the horrible acting. I thought Laurie Metcalf was great in the original series, but she is terrible now. And John Goodman lost his acting chops when he lost all that weight.

Nitpick: Its the Conners
Old 10-17-2018, 10:26 PM

Well I loved it. I thought it was a great tribute to the character. I never cared for Roseanne in the first place. She was too fake. Barr is a funny comedian but I don't think she's too great as an actor. I think Laurie Metcalf is overdoing it. She has been over-acting since the show came back. She's a great actress too! I just wish she'd tone it down a bit.

Mary Steenburgen would be a fine addition but I guess she was just making a guest appearance. Everything else was okay, same as it would have been with her. I really don't think she was a great loss. The show is just as good without her. But yeah, the kids are all played by terrible actors but I can excuse that. They're almost all out of practice.

I would watch this every week just like I watched every episode of Roseanne, but I don't expect it will be around much longer.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushgeekgirl View Post
I would watch this every week just like I watched every episode of Roseanne, but I don't expect it will be around much longer.
I don't know how many episodes ABC contracted for (6? 10? 13?) but I suspect there will be a story arc that gets resolved, and the show can go away, and viewers will say, "At least they wrapped it up."

Darlene and David reconciling, perhaps?
Old 10-17-2018, 11:25 PM

I'm not sure where the comedy will come from.

Roseanne made the sarcastic remarks and the other characters reacted. That worked and made the show a ratings hit.

I can't see Jackie filling that role. Dan is a recent widower. He's not going to be a source of laughs.

Darlene was the sulky one.

Geez these people got old looking. I didn't, it's just them.
https://goo.gl/images/HGUjos

Last edited by aceplace57; 10-17-2018 at 11:29 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:25 AM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

They got old looking because they are old.

Watching it on Hulu, holy shit John Goodman lost even more weight.

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 10-18-2018 at 12:26 AM.
Old 10-18-2018, 03:15 AM

I enjoyed it even though it was a very heavy episode to get through. I think the next episode will tell the tale of how this is going to be.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:04 AM

I thought it was fine, some genuine laughs. The acting is suspect, particularly the Becky character.

And John Goodman is one of those creatures who actually looks better fat.

mmm
Old 10-18-2018, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

[Moderating]
Fixed misspelling in title.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:14 AM

Yes, Mean Mr. Mustard, I will agree. John Goodman needs to gain 100 lbs. He looks awful. In fact, there were a lot of them that looked awful. The last time I saw Mary Steenburgen she looked pretty good. I was shocked when I saw her on The Conner's! I realize that everyone ages but I think that if the celebrities would just "age gracefully" like the rest of us have to, it wouldn't be so shocking.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:35 AM

I'm pretty sure they make the actors look bad to accentuate the hardscrabble life they go through as lower middle class people. So the fact that they all look old and tired is intentional I'm sure.

Johnny galecki looked far worse on this show than he does on bbt for example. I'm sure that was intentional.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

I wonder if Mary Steenburgen is supposed to be a regular character. Perhaps as a romantic interest for Dan?

And I googled the ratings; about ten million viewers, which is really great for network television but a big drop from the high numbers the show reached last year. So will the numbers improve as the comedic episodes return or was the number inflated by those curious how they'd handle the removal of Roseanne Barr's character?
Old 10-18-2018, 12:14 PM

Roseanne never was much of an actor, she was there to spit out sardonically funny one-liners. But I've known countless women much like her: fat, opinionated, marginalized, lower-class, disgusted with life, and sardonic, but plowing through nonetheless, and often with a grim sense of humor. They have strong personalities and aren't out to impress men or be polite little ladies.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:19 PM

They certainly wanted Roseanne dead.

Not only did they discuss the circumstances. They talked about her autopsy.

She definitely won't be back.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:30 PM

I'll keep watching if Mary Steenburgen becomes a regular cast member.

I've always liked her roles. She could be really good on the Conners.
Old 10-18-2018, 03:17 PM

Roseanne's strongest suite was her ability to choose an amazing group of supporting actors.

I don't know if a collection of second bananas can support a show.

I watched the first episode and mostly enjoyed it. Laurie Metcalf is a much better actor than she was allowed to be on that episide.
The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:14 PM

I didn't like it last year but thought I'd tune in to see what had changed and how they dealt with Roseanne leaving, and I found most of the jokes falling flat. Maybe it was "Becky's" delivery, or maybe the laugh track, but it seemed stale and contrived. I don't think I'll be back.

Was it weird to anyone else that DJ's wife came in from overseas as if she'd run out to the drugstore for 10 minutes? "Sorry I missed the funeral but the airport was busy" but the family never stopped talking. No hugs, no hey we missed you, nothing?
Old 10-19-2018, 10:18 AM

[QUOTE=Dewey Finn;21273707]I wonder if Mary Steenburgen is supposed to be a regular character. Perhaps as a romantic interest for Dan?

That was the first thing I thought too.
Old 10-26-2018, 09:10 AM

Anyone catch the latest? Juliette Lewis guest stars as David's new love, Blue.
Old 10-26-2018, 10:36 AM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushgeekgirl View Post
Anyone catch the latest? Juliette Lewis guest stars as David's new love, Blue.
Yeah they seem to be attracting some well-known actors to show up and play random (or possibly permanent) characters. Will & Grace is good for that too.

Goodman looked less bad in this episode, so it makes me think they were deliberately trying to make him look like shit in the first episode after his character's wife died. I agree that he looks worse now that he's thinner but I think he looked ok this week.
Old 10-26-2018, 11:14 AM

Yeah, they also crammed two "very special episode" topics into one week, and handled both very lazily.
Old 10-26-2018, 12:27 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xizor View Post
Yeah, they also crammed two "very special episode" topics into one week, and handled both very lazily.
Hahaha I already forgot about Becky's story!

You can definitely tell that writing is lazy when a parent's first reaction to a child admitting they have to be drunk in order to function is "Ok, what's your plan?"
Old 10-26-2018, 01:44 PM

I found it drab, predictable, and not very funny. Humor seemed forced.
Old 10-26-2018, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

I thought we were finally going to have a self-righteous religious eruption from D.J.'s wife with the whole "God is in the dirt!" bit.
Old 10-26-2018, 09:05 PM

Has DJ's wife taken over the role of the obnoxiously self righteous character now that Roseanne is dead?

I'm guessing they just kept the show going because the actors like each other and they don't want all the support cast to be out of a job.

But so far, the show isn't really working without Roseanne.
Old 10-27-2018, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
John Goodman is one of those creatures who actually looks better fat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC4941 View Post
John Goodman needs to gain 100 lbs. He looks awful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post
Goodman looked less bad in this episode, so it makes me think they were deliberately trying to make him look like shit in the first episode after his character's wife died. I agree that he looks worse now that he's thinner but I think he looked ok this week.
I was thinking about this the other day, as I totally agree that Goodman looks better fatter, but I think I might be fooling myself.

I remember thinking when Jonah Hill lost a bunch of weight that he looked really weird thin(ner), and that his head was too big for his body, and that he was just one of those people who looked better fat(ter). But then I watched War Dogs where he'd gained the weight back and immediately thought oh no, I was clearly wrong; he looks much better thin(ner) and looks bloated and unhealthy when fat.

That made me think of John Goodman and the comments from this thread (which mirrored my own thoughts). I'd bet money that if the show stays on for years, and he keeps to his current weight and we keep watching, he'll look perfectly fine and normal thin and when we see older movies of his when he was heavier we'll think he looks weird fat compared to normal thin.
Old 10-30-2018, 05:01 PM

I like it, its getting better each episode. Wish Sara Gilbert would do something different with her hair.
Old 10-31-2018, 08:27 AM

I had only seen the first few of last season's and thought they were okay but not great. The part of last night's ep I saw seemed to be of about the same quality; some smiles but no outright laughs. In theory, I liked the story line about Darlene's son dressing as Frida Kahlo but the execution seemed off somehow. Does every episode include his trials and tribulations about his wardrobe choice or is it just the doofi at his school that give him a hard time?

As to JG's appearance, ISTM we'd be used to it by now. I think he lost a lot of weight very rapidly and also, due to his age, he's lost a lot of elasticity in his skin so now it hangs in noticeable folds. I bet if he had some of the excess removed he'd look fine.
Old 10-31-2018, 08:47 AM

I thought Becky's costume was brilliant.

"I need a drink. Becky where do you keep the hard stuff?" "IN BECKY."
Old 10-31-2018, 11:08 AM

It's not that great but it's still better than American Housewife and I'm still watching that one too.
I think the character I like the least is DJ's wife. She is so far nothing but a sassy black woman stereotype.
Old 10-31-2018, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, I can't figure out DJ's wife. Based on what little we've seen of her, I would have expected comments from her about the evils of Halloween...instead, she gets Becky to share the pilfered chocolate bar.
Old 10-31-2018, 08:14 PM

I could've done without the rant against PC culture. Are things really like that in the real world or is that just a talking point?

Also I'm still surprised Darlene grew up to be the responsible one and Becky grew up to be the screw up. The entire first show made me thing it'd be the opposite outcome.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Also I'm still surprised Darlene grew up to be the responsible one and Becky grew up to be the screw up. The entire first show made me thing it'd be the opposite outcome.
I wouldn't have classified either as the screw up (they both seemed typical in different ways earlier in the series), but certainly I wouldn't have gone your way later in the series. Darlene is the one who went to post-secondary education IIRC, and Becky's the one that got married at 17.

I'm assuming first show meant original run of Roseanne and not first episode of new series. Haven't watched new one.

Last edited by Tzigone; 10-31-2018 at 09:56 PM.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:49 AM

Unless she's been back less than a week how is it that Geena is just now realizing that DJ hasn't been taking Mary to church?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 11-16-2018, 07:55 PM

My Program Guide (Dish) said this was Episode #2. And it sure seemed like it. As Dan was still in grief mode and Mark's polling sub-plot seems like it should have shown pre-election, not post election.

Still think the acting is high-school musical acting. from everyone including Jackie and Dan.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfrommensa View Post
...Still think the acting is high-school musical acting. from everyone including Jackie and Dan.
This is what baffles me the most. Virtually all the actors are bad (except maybe Sarah Gilbert) with Alicia Goranson (Becky) and Michael Fishman (D.J.) nearly unwatchable.

But John Goodman and Laurie Metcalf I considered top-notch talent. What the hell happened to their skillz?

mmm
Old 11-23-2018, 08:23 PM

Well now Becky's pregnant after a one night stand with an undocumented immigrant.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:53 PM

They are just limping to the finish line here.

Also shouldn't they be struggling a little less financially? I do appreciate this being a show that shows legit economic struggles of the lower middle class.

But Darlene and Dan live in the same house. I don't know if DJ lives there too or not (I forget). But if he does, that is 3 wage earners in a low cost of living area. Even if they're only making $12/hr each that is 70k a year in household income. They shouldn't be struggling that much. A mortgage on a house like that is probably under 100k, especially considering they bought it in the 70s or 80s. Probably a tiny fraction of that.

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 01-10-2019 at 11:55 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post

Also shouldn't they be struggling a little less financially? I do appreciate this being a show that shows legit economic struggles of the lower middle class.

But Darlene and Dan live in the same house. I don't know if DJ lives there too or not (I forget). But if he does, that is 3 wage earners in a low cost of living area. Even if they're only making $12/hr each that is 70k a year in household income. They shouldn't be struggling that much. A mortgage on a house like that is probably under 100k, especially considering they bought it in the 70s or 80s. Probably a tiny fraction of that.
On top of that, they no longer have to feed Roseanne.

mmm
Old 01-12-2019, 04:17 PM

Do DJ and his wife and daughter still live in the house? Surely not. Isn't his wife in the military? Or did she get out? I can't keep up. They're always IN that house so I assumed they all still lived there.

I don't know, the show is ridiculous but I still enjoy it more than I did when Roseanne was on it. Nothing about her politics, just her grating voice and how dull and mean she was in the reboot.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:43 PM

Nope, they definably live somewhere else. In the latest episode Gina exiled DJ to the Conner* family home because he was sick and she didn't want to get them sick.

*I realize what wherever his family live is also a Conner family home, but you know what I mean.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:53 AM

Quote:

I wonder about things like this, too. But then I think of people I know irl including my family members and my own mother. She has worked since 1965 and has trouble keeping her house, which was bought with a 15 year mortgage in 1987. She is on social security and unemployment now but worked 3 jobs this past summer and never had a day off. It's probably the animals and cigarettes, I guess.

Also, can't overlook my own situation. I work fulltime and have small business endeavors but had a lot of help from uncles and in-laws to have a house and get through school among other things.

Last edited by actualliberalnotoneofthose; 01-13-2019 at 01:55 AM.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:04 PM
Horrified Onlooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
On top of that, they no longer have to feed Roseanne.

mmm
My internet laugh out loud moment for the day. Bravo!
Old 01-13-2019, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
A mortgage on a house like that is probably under 100k, especially considering they bought it in the 70s or 80s. Probably a tiny fraction of that.
I don't know how much this may enter into it, but they got a second mortgage back in the late 3rd or early 4th season in order to start up/run "Lanford Custom Cycle." (Although Ziggy did end up leaving them some money as well--a plot point they never brought up and sadly we never saw/heard from Ziggy again.)

Anyway, things were pretty bad because not only did the bike shop go under, Roseanne lost her job at the diner. Then they lucked out when Bev sold her house and gave them $10K, which I think they used for some bills but also to start the Lunch Box. Dan did drywalling, got into the flipping business very briefly (one project he should've stuck with for another few years--house flips blew up after that), took spare jobs, then got the city gig.

It's all a blur after that, and I haven't watched The Conners. Have they ever mentioned The Lunch Box?

On a different topic: I believe Crystal's on this show... or she was in the first season, anyway. Is she still married to Ed, or did Ed die/run off?

Last edited by choie; 01-13-2019 at 05:30 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

I know about the whole Roseanne debacle, but honestly I don't see the point of remaking this series without her.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

They didn't plan to remake the series without her. They planned to make it with her, and hired a production crew and put writers and actors under contract and in fact the first season with her had really good ratings. But after her tweet, they could either end it, even though they'd still have to pay out millions to the contracted writers, actors and others and dozens of crew members would be out of work. Or they could try to make it work without her.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:25 AM

Darlene was always my favorite character, and I loved the interactions between her and Becky on the old show, so I'm pretty happy that it's now basically The Darlene and Becky Show. Becky was kind of underexplored on the original series and I like how they're digging into the various ways her life has gone wrong, and how someone with such promise can find herself in a pretty desperate place.

Doesn't help that they're showing the episodes out of order though. After last week's, I was asking myself, "Is Becky still pregnant?".
Old 01-15-2019, 05:45 PM

I actually think the show is improved without Roseanne. She was easily the worst, most annoying part of an otherwise decent show. Darlene is a much more interesting and relateable character - and Sara Gilbert is a far superior actress - so I'm glad she's become the focal point of the show.

That said, there's still a lot that isn't great. I think making Becky pregnant was a mistake with which they wrote themselves into a corner (we'll see how that plays out). There were a few interesting storylines that didn't go anywhere (Dan's relationship with Mary Steenburgen; the lesbian couple wanting to adopt Becky's baby). There is absolutely no chemistry between DJ and his wife (who randomly appears and disappears).

In short, it's neither the best nor the worst show I regularly watch. I still consider it to be worth 23 minutes of my time per week. For now.