Old 01-08-2019, 02:15 PM

So I'm hooked on these Border and Customs reality shows....

...apparently there's US, Australian and Canadian shows. They provide an interesting contrast.

The US sure does seem unduly hung up on denying people with visit Visas (if that's right) entry on the grounds they think they're going to work or stay past their alloted time. And we're not talking about Hispanic farmers (The other two shows concentrate on that),,,it's like ANYONE doing anything. A dutch guy doing construction for a month. A woman getting paid to sing...etc...

Let's veer off a second cause I had an idea. Has their been any legislation or ideas put forward to let people travel freely (among signatory nations of said legislation) to do certain kinds of low-level jobs? Like if I wanted to go to Canada and dig ditches...I'd like to. If someone from mexico wanted to come here and bus tables...etc...that sort of thing.

Another non-shocking contrasts in the American version. Everyone seems to be armed.

I haven't seen too much of the Canadian or Australian version , but I will say...the people in them, representatives of their govt., arn't particularly more compassionate than their American counterparts. And I'm seeing a lot more contraband seized that was hidden by airport personnel.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
I haven't seen too much of the Canadian or Australian version , but I will say...the people in them, representatives of their govt., arn't particularly more compassionate than their American counterparts. And I'm seeing a lot more contraband seized that was hidden by airport personnel.
I've seen a lot of the Australian Customs show while in the UK, and an episode or two of the Canadian one.

From what I've seen, the Canadians stop Americans from bringing guns over the border. While the Australians catch drug-smugglers and other suspect types, they also bag tons of contraband food items brought in by Asian visitors who aren't criminals, but ordinary people who seem to think they won't be able to get anything to eat in Oz.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:39 PM

New Zealand's Border Patrol show generally features clueless tourists being fined for smuggling in food products. As an agricultural island nation we take biosecurity pretty seriously.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

I think the UK and the New Zealand ones show much friendlier and more forgiving custom guards. They still enforce the law, but they’re not as abrupt, they remain more good natured, I think.

They are def interesting shows to watch, if only to see the differences.

(Also makes me wish I was an Asian traveller and could just shake my head and say, ‘no english’, to get out of difficult questions. But more and more they just fetch a translator nowadays!)
Old 01-09-2019, 12:37 PM

Are the UK and New Zealand shows available on Netflix? If so, I'll have to check them out.

I too enjoyed the Australian, Canadian, and American shows, just to see the differences in the way things are handled.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Has their been any legislation or ideas put forward to let people travel freely (among signatory nations of said legislation) to do certain kinds of low-level jobs? Like if I wanted to go to Canada and dig ditches...I'd like to. If someone from mexico wanted to come here and bus tables...etc...that sort of thing.
One example of that; The Schengen Agreement among the members of the EU.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krondys View Post
Are the UK and New Zealand shows available on Netflix? If so, I'll have to check them out.

I too enjoyed the Australian, Canadian, and American shows, just to see the differences in the way things are handled.
I don't know if TVNZ on demand is geo-locked. If not there's a whole season of the NZ version up for you to enjoy.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Has their been any legislation or ideas put forward to let people travel freely (among signatory nations of said legislation) to do certain kinds of low-level jobs?
A scheme that tries to tie people to specific jobs or sorts of jobs is wide open to abuse. In the UK, where a family (often rich Saudis) have been allowed to bring in a domestic servant, the fact that that was the only reason the servant was in the country made it very difficult for them to escape an abusive employer, until the law was changed. Likewise, say, Indian and Nepali labourers working on buildings for the 2022 World Cup in Dubai, and there are plenty of similar situations around the world.

But freedom of movement for work is a founding principle of the EU; though some of those who came to the UK from the post-Communist states are specifically recruited for seasonal farm work and found themselves stuck in tough situations, legally (if not necessarily practically) they are free to move on.

The UK also has a time-limited working holiday visa, which necessarily means the jobs are likely to be low-level and seasonal.

We also have similar programmes (though our immigration and customs agencies are separate)

https://youtu.be/dMgfuM0Ylcs

https://youtu.be/nTgJh6Qlm7w
Old 01-10-2019, 01:24 AM

I've never watched the shows but hearing peoples stories, the Canadian border guards are incredibly strict to anyone with a criminal record, even refusing to allow someone who was found Not Guilty in the country because it showed up on his record. If you have any criminal record it's basically you're not allowed into Canada at all.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:31 AM

The thing that often strikes me is the cluelessness of most of the malefactors who are caught trying to smuggle contraband. But then, if they weren't clueless they wouldn't be spotted and wouldn't end up on the programme in the first place.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:49 AM

I love these shows! I've also noted the Canadians are just as, if not more, strict than their American counterparts.

The joke I hear is something like: if you're Canadian and you're an asshole, they make you work at the border.

ETA: one thing that constantly seems to come up in the Australian/New Zealand ones is cigarettes. And they're incredibly strict about it. I guess their cigarette taxes are extremely high?

Last edited by DCnDC; 01-10-2019 at 07:52 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
One example of that; The Schengen Agreement among the members of the EU.
Another example is the Compact of Free Association between the United States, Marshall Islands, Palau, and Micronesia.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuka View Post
I've never watched the shows but hearing peoples stories, the Canadian border guards are incredibly strict to anyone with a criminal record, even refusing to allow someone who was found Not Guilty in the country because it showed up on his record. If you have any criminal record it's basically you're not allowed into Canada at all.
Not necessarily. If you have a criminal record (which you would not have if you were found Not Guilty), you're disallowed. But a Not Guilty finding means you have no record; and thus, can come in, subject to normal border checks (How long will you be here, why are you coming, anything to declare, etc.)

I like these shows. I always get a kick out of the Americans at the Canadian border who do not declare their guns, get caught, and then claim, "Well, where I'm from, you never admit you have guns." Well, at the Canadian border, you're not where you're from, and you're in another country with a different set of laws and with a different constitution.

I see these cases at the local courthouse about once a month.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Let's veer off a second cause I had an idea. Has their been any legislation or ideas put forward to let people travel freely (among signatory nations of said legislation) to do certain kinds of low-level jobs? Like if I wanted to go to Canada and dig ditches...I'd like to. If someone from mexico wanted to come here and bus tables...etc...that sort of thing.
Canada has the Seasonal Agricultural Worker Program which brings workers from Latin America and the Caribbean to pick fruit and vegetables, etc.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoons View Post
Not necessarily. If you have a criminal record (which you would not have if you were found Not Guilty), you're disallowed. But a Not Guilty finding means you have no record; and thus, can come in, subject to normal border checks (How long will you be here, why are you coming, anything to declare, etc.)

I like these shows. I always get a kick out of the Americans at the Canadian border who do not declare their guns, get caught, and then claim, "Well, where I'm from, you never admit you have guns." Well, at the Canadian border, you're not where you're from, and you're in another country with a different set of laws and with a different constitution.

I see these cases at the local courthouse about once a month.
I feel sorry for the dumbasses who left a small baggie of cocaine in their purse. I even feel for the people caught smuggling a couple of bricks in cornmeal packages because holy shit...you are going away for a long long long time.

I don't feel for people who declare $40 of goods and have $800 of goods in their belongings.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogarth View Post
Canada has the Seasonal Agricultural Worker Program which brings workers from Latin America and the Caribbean to pick fruit and vegetables, etc.

Canada also has a Working Tourist Visa, which allows you to work to finance enjoying your year in Canada.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:08 AM

Until last summer I hadn't flown internationally in at least a decade, and having watched these shows I was a little paranoid about Customs, but going into Barcelona was an extremely long line but it moved surprisingly quickly, and coming back US Customs was surprisingly trusting. I had a bunch of candy and stuff I'd brought back for the office and family, and I carefully filled out the form, making sure to write down everything and what it cost. Customs agent looked at it for literally half a second, asked what food I had, I told him it was candy, he stamped my form and I was through. I offered to show it to him; he had absolutely no interest. I guess I've got an honest face.

(I know, they've got limited time to process an unlimited number of people, so anyone who's not acting super shady will probably breeze through like I did.)