Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 01-10-2019, 11:33 AM
E-DUB's Avatar
E-DUB E-DUB is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 4,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Baroo View Post
Your revolution is over, Mr. Lebowski! Condolences! The bums lost! I suggest you do what your parents did: get a job sir. The bums will always lose! Do you hear me Mr. Lebowski! The bums will always...

But what I must know - it's been bugging me - is what Wu the carpet pisser says just before he does his thing. Something about deadbeats.

See, we must have a DVD with subtitles. This aggression will not stand, man.

I consider myself a normal enough person, but I watch that movie excessively, and can't understand why others aren't thrilled by it. I was the same way with Tommy Boy at one time.

The whites. Another thing, Dude doesn't roll one ball in the film. And the beach scene at Trehorn's place contains homage to Riefenstahl's Triumph Of The Will. But you knew that because you love this shit.

I make Wu's line to be "Thus ever to deadbeats". A sort of play on "Thus ever to tyrants." (Although usually quoted in Latin as "Sic Semper Tyrannus".)

And I've actually used the "not a golfer" line in a totally appropriate context.
  #52  
Old 01-10-2019, 11:36 AM
Lucas Jackson Lucas Jackson is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypno-Toad View Post
Yeah, the kid stole the car. He also no doubt looked in the money bag but only found a phone book and so threw it away.
I disagree. I think the nihilist stole the car. They knew what it looked like (they had seen it at the ďdropĒ and they burned it at the bowling alley). They probably assumed that The Dude had taken the money and double-crossed the older Lebowski. They took the car in hopes that the money would still be in it. Finding only phone books, they abandoned it.

How did Larryís homework get in the car? In any number of ways, maybe it blew in or maybe the homeless guy who was sleeping in it brought it in. Or since he had deficated in it, maybe he brought it in for toilet paper.

Larry never admitted (or even denied) he took it. He just sat there apparently dumbfounded by the two crazy people in his house.
  #53  
Old 01-10-2019, 12:59 PM
Larry Borgia's Avatar
Larry Borgia Larry Borgia is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 10,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Jackson View Post
I disagree. I think the nihilist stole the car. They knew what it looked like (they had seen it at the ďdropĒ and they burned it at the bowling alley). They probably assumed that The Dude had taken the money and double-crossed the older Lebowski. They took the car in hopes that the money would still be in it. Finding only phone books, they abandoned it.

How did Larryís homework get in the car? In any number of ways, maybe it blew in or maybe the homeless guy who was sleeping in it brought it in. Or since he had deficated in it, maybe he brought it in for toilet paper.

Larry never admitted (or even denied) he took it. He just sat there apparently dumbfounded by the two crazy people in his house.
Larry definitely stole the car. The tracking the kid down by the homework thing was based on a true story. A friend of the Coen brothers actually did that. Also, there's no reason to think he didn't. His clamming up when being interrogated is just a smart thing to do, even with actual cops, let alone to civilians. Had the nihilists stolen the car, they would have realized that there never was any money, and would have hounded the Big Lebowski, not The Dude.
  #54  
Old 01-10-2019, 12:59 PM
Qadgop the Mercotan's Avatar
Qadgop the Mercotan Qadgop the Mercotan is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Slithering on the hull
Posts: 26,717
The Dude: Fuckin' Quintana... that creep can roll, man.

Walter: Yeah, but he's a pervert, Dude.

The Dude: Yeah.
  #55  
Old 01-10-2019, 02:38 PM
Elendil's Heir Elendil's Heir is offline
SDSAB
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: my Herkimer Battle Jitney
Posts: 80,264
My all-time-favorite Coen Bros. movie, and I like a lot of their stuff. So many great lines:

"That rug really tied the room together."

"Let me explain something to you. Um, I am not 'Mr. Lebowski.' You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

"Uh, I'm just gonna go find a cash machine."

"Nihilists! Fuck me. I mean, say what you want about the tenets of National Socialism, Dude, at least it's an ethos."

"Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!"

"Smokey, my friend, you are entering a world of pain."

"Also, Dude, 'Chinaman' is not the preferred nomenclature. 'Asian-American,' please."

"Do you have to use so many cuss words?"

"You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me."

"No, Donny, these men are nihilists, there's nothing to be afraid of."

"Well. I guess we can close the file on that one."

"This is our concern, Dude."

"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules."

"Goddammit! Look, just because we're bereaved, that doesn't make us saps!"

"The old man told me to take any rug in the house."

Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 01-10-2019 at 02:39 PM.
  #56  
Old 01-10-2019, 03:28 PM
Lucas Jackson Lucas Jackson is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Borgia View Post
Larry definitely stole the car. The tracking the kid down by the homework thing was based on a true story.
Totally irrelevant as it relates to the movie.

Quote:
Also, there's no reason to think he didn't.
There are many reasons to think he didnít first and foremost he looked like he was about 14 and incapable of hot wiring a car.
  #57  
Old 01-10-2019, 03:30 PM
Royal Nonesutch Royal Nonesutch is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 117
"Phone's ringin' Dude!"

"Thank you, Donnie."
  #58  
Old 01-10-2019, 03:37 PM
blondebear blondebear is online now
Shouting Grasshopper
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Meridian/280
Posts: 13,640
If you haven't seen it, Mortimer Young's introduction to the restored version of "The Grand Lebowski" is pretty funny: https://youtu.be/zVyVyvibmcs
  #59  
Old 01-10-2019, 11:16 PM
Jackknifed Juggernaut Jackknifed Juggernaut is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Lenni Lenape Land
Posts: 5,723
I learned through a quick google search that there is considerable debate on exactly who stole the car. I kind of agree that it would be pretty far-fetched to visualize THAT kid stealing a car from a bowling alley parking lot.
__________________
"That's right. Even my feet have balls." Stephen Colbert 9/28/10
  #60  
Old 01-11-2019, 12:03 AM
Sunny Daze's Avatar
Sunny Daze Sunny Daze is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Bay Area Urban Sprawl
Posts: 11,457
A fantastic movie. The only Coen Bros. movie I like, I have to confess.

"This aggression will not stand, man."
  #61  
Old 01-11-2019, 12:07 AM
Elendil's Heir Elendil's Heir is offline
SDSAB
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: my Herkimer Battle Jitney
Posts: 80,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
A fantastic movie. The only Coen Bros. movie I like, I have to confess.

"This aggression will not stand, man."
Have I got a campaign T-shirt for you, Dude!: https://thedudesdesigns.com/collecti...=6760292646967
  #62  
Old 01-11-2019, 04:15 PM
Larry Borgia's Avatar
Larry Borgia Larry Borgia is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 10,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Jackson View Post
Totally irrelevant as it relates to the movie.


There are many reasons to think he didnít first and foremost he looked like he was about 14 and incapable of hot wiring a car.
It's very relevant to the movie, because it is the story that part of the movie was based on. Obviously, while most 14 year olds can't hot-wire a car, a few can. You can read the story in I'm a Lebowski, You're a Lebowski.

Also, it doesn't make any sense for the nihilists to steal the car. Why would they? They just wanted the briefcase. Why not just break in and steal it?
  #63  
Old 01-13-2019, 01:40 AM
Lucas Jackson Lucas Jackson is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Borgia View Post
It's very relevant to the movie, because it is the story that part of the movie was based on. Obviously, while most 14 year olds can't hot-wire a car, a few can. You can read the story in I'm a Lebowski, You're a Lebowski.
Iíve read it. It is a snippet of a story told at a party. Itís an idea. Itís no indication of who stole the car in the movie. Just like all the other things in the movie that were inspired by real events but were twisted wildly for humorous effect.

Quote:
Also, it doesn't make any sense for the nihilists to steal the car. Why would they? They just wanted the briefcase. Why not just break in and steal it?
Because they were idiots. Just like all the other things they did that didnít make sense. Why set The Dudeís car on fire, what purpose did that serve. Maybe rather than rummaging through his car in public it was easier to just drive it off and search it in Bunnyís garage. Who knows.

The point is, if you think Larry did it - fine. Itís open to discussion. But to categorically state that he did it because the Coenís overheard an anecdote at a party is taking things a bit to literally.
  #64  
Old 01-13-2019, 01:41 AM
Lucas Jackson Lucas Jackson is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Have I got a campaign T-shirt for you, Dude!: https://thedudesdesigns.com/collecti...=6760292646967
Oh my god, thatís hilarious! Iím mightily tempted to buy that. Thanks for sharing.
  #65  
Old 01-13-2019, 02:57 AM
Larry Borgia's Avatar
Larry Borgia Larry Borgia is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 10,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Jackson View Post
Iíve read it. It is a snippet of a story told at a party. Itís an idea. Itís no indication of who stole the car in the movie. Just like all the other things in the movie that were inspired by real events but were twisted wildly for humorous effect.


Because they were idiots. Just like all the other things they did that didnít make sense. Why set The Dudeís car on fire, what purpose did that serve. Maybe rather than rummaging through his car in public it was easier to just drive it off and search it in Bunnyís garage. Who knows.

The point is, if you think Larry did it - fine. Itís open to discussion. But to categorically state that he did it because the Coenís overheard an anecdote at a party is taking things a bit to literally.
OK dude, have it your way.
  #66  
Old 01-13-2019, 09:46 AM
mozchron mozchron is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 940
???

Of course Larry stole the car. I always assumed the Dude left the keys in it.
  #67  
Old 01-13-2019, 11:07 AM
Quartz's Avatar
Quartz Quartz is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Home of the haggis
Posts: 30,066
I miss even sven.
  #68  
Old 01-13-2019, 01:55 PM
Ulfreida Ulfreida is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: pangolandia
Posts: 3,206
In real life I am often reminded of "you're not wrong, you're just an asshole."
  #69  
Old Yesterday, 10:00 AM
Lucas Jackson Lucas Jackson is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,827
So this thread prompted me to watch the movie again and I discovered something I did not know or even think of...

The movie is named for the old, rich Lebowski. Itís right in the credits!

David Huddleston - The Big Lebowski
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017