Old 01-10-2019, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Gladly!:

The Sherlock Holmes stories of A. Conan Doyle - still great period mysteries
The Spenser series by Robert Parker - an ex-cop Boston P.I. solves crimes, makes wisecracks
The Aubrey/Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian - the friendship of a Royal Navy captain and a surgeon/naturalist/spy against the backdrop of the Napoleonic Wars at sea
Sherlock Holmes. Good Idea! I'll have to check that out. I've read a few, but it's been years ago.

Spenser... I've read them all! Actually my favorite Robert B Parker books were the Jesse Stone and then the Sunny Randall books. If you haven't read them, I highly recommend them. The made-for-tv movies about Jesse Stone are pretty good (Tom Selleck as the main character).

I think I tried to get into the Aubrey/Maturin series; but was just so-so on those. Those are characters in the Master and Commander series, right? Maybe I need to give them another go.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 01-10-2019, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
The Virgil Flowers series by Sandford is still pretty good. The Dublin Trilogy (four books, actually), by Caimh McDonnell is entertaining. You might also look at the Joe Pickett series by C.J. Box, and of course the Longmire series by Craig Johnson (although the latest one got mixed reviews). The David Robicheaux series by James Lee Burke were good up until (IMO) they jumped the shark. And lastly, one of my favorites was the James Brodie four-book series by Kate Atkinson.
I forgot about Longmire. I've really enjoyed those stories. It's been a while since I read Craig Johnson; so I probably haven't seen his last book. I'll have to check it out.

Thanks for the suggestions on the others. I'll definitely check them out.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:48 PM

Oh, I'm a fan of the Judge Dee mysteries, too.

Finished The Daleth Effect by Harry Harrison, which wasn't bad, although not his best work.

Now I'm reading Robert B. Parker's Old Black Magic by Ace Atkins. I'm also a fan of Parker's Spenser novels, and Ace Atkins is doing a pretty good job of continuing the series. If you like Westerns, Parker wrote those too (Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch), and Robert Knott is doing a good job continuing them.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enright3 View Post
I would really like to find a book series that I can get into.
If you're up for more legal thriller stuff...

Tyler Dilts's Long Beach Homicide series: the first one, published in 2010, is called A King of Infinite Space.

David Baldacci's Memory Man series: the first one, from 2015, is called (appropriately) Memory Man.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:21 AM
SDSAB

Quote:
Sherlock Holmes. Good Idea! I'll have to check that out. I've read a few, but it's been years ago....
You're in for a treat! I would suggest starting with the short stories "A Scandal in Bohemia," "The Red-Headed League," "The Blue Carbuncle," "The Speckled Band" and "The Musgrave Ritual." If you love 'em, next go for his best novel, The Hound of the Baskervilles.

Enjoy! If you want more Holmesian suggestions, just PM me.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendarii Dame View Post
Oh, I'm a fan of the Judge Dee mysteries, too.

Me three!

I read a lot of gay fiction last year so I dunno if it's up your alley or not, but The Snow & Winter books by CS Poe are good mysteries, there is m/m sex in them.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Started this morning on The Shadows We Hide by Allen Eskens. I was hoping to not like it because it's due back at the library, but gosh darn it, it's good. It's about a reporter investigating the death of his father, who he never knew.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
If Elendil's Heir can suggest older series, so can I:

The Horatio Hornblower novels by C.S. Forester. I could never get into the Patrick O'Brian series of sea stories, but I found Forester's irresistible. Eleven books plus "The Hornblower companion".
Ha, see the other post I just wrote. I couldn't get into the Patrick O'Brian books either; so this might be a good choice for me.
Quote:
The Judge Dee mysteries written by Hans van Gulik. Djien-Djieh Dee was a real historical individual living in T'ang dynasty China. He was both judge and detective. Van Gulik first translated an 18th century novel about him, then wrote five new mysteries, using ideas from other Chinese stories. Then he wrote a series of other novels, creating a life story that was internally consistent and had surprising continued arcs in it. Since his death, a few other people hve written mysteries involving Dee, and there have been two Chinese movies featuring him (but making him into a martial arts expert, which he's not in anyone's books, although he is skilled with the sword.)
Sounds good! I was worried they wouldn't be available on Kindle, but there are several Dee books on Kindle, so I might be OK.
Quote:

The Ed and Am Hunter mysteries written by Fredric Brown, start with his Edgar-winning The Fabulous Clipjoint. Pretty hard to get, since he's unfortunately been out of print for a couple of decades, but Brown's mysteries, science fiction, and fantasy are definitely worth looking up. He once wrote a story in which the victim is the reader.
Ha! Easy to get on Kindle. I just found The Fabulous Clipjoint on Amazon for $1.99.

Thanks!
Old 01-11-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
Started this morning on The Shadows We Hide by Allen Eskens. I was hoping to not like it because it's due back at the library, but gosh darn it, it's good. It's about a reporter investigating the death of his father, who he never knew.
That same description perfectly fits Fredric Brown's The Fabulous Clipjoint, which I mentioned above, especially the "who he never knew", in this case in the sense that, although the character knew his father as somebody in his life, he never really knew his personality or much of his biography until he investigated his death. Also, Ed Hunter doesn't start the book as a detective, but ends up as one. Highly recommended.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:12 PM

Audible has a complete Sherlock Holmes for 1 credit.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:22 PM
SDSAB

Just finished John Grisham's The Brethren, about three disgraced judges running a con game by mail from inside a Federal low-security prison. It took some interesting twists and turns and I enjoyed it, although the ending was a little disappointing.

I'm almost done with Patrick O'Brian's Desolation Island. Capt. Aubrey, Dr. Maturin and the crew of the hard-luck HMS Leopard have just barely survived a major (and vividly described) storm.

Next up: a re-read of John Scalzi's excellent The Collapsing Empire, so it's fresh in my mind before I go on to the sequel, The Consuming Fire.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:43 AM

Just finished A Different Flesh by Harry Turtledove. Seven short stories, in chronological order from 1610 to 1988, set in an alternative time-line in which the Americas, discovered from Europe from the late 15th century on, are found to be inhabited not by Homo sapiens, but by Homo erectus (the latter called "sims", by the people in the stories). Still abundant at the time of discovery, are megafauna which the "sims" have had neither the brawn nor (unlike "our time-line" 's Hom. sap. Native Americans) the ingenuity to exterminate. The stories explore the ramifications of things being found thus, when Europeans reach the Americas. In the country overall quite like the USA (differing in many details) which develops in median North America; predictably, the "sims" are, in the main, not treated well by the colonising Hom. sap.

A quite absorbing read; but, to me, with its disappointing side. For a generally acclaimed "master of alternative history", Turtledove's imagination-supply appears IMHO, frankly somewhat limited -- he seems more prolific, and on easier ground, writing with "real history" 's events as a quite close template; making greater use of his imagination and coming up with more-original material -- as in these stories -- has him producing excellent stuff, but rather meagrely. I feel that I could have happily devoured twice the number of stories on this theme, than the collection actually holds; and with his having established the survival of the megafauna, I find it disappointing how relatively little Turtledove exploits this feature.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The Ed and Am Hunter mysteries written by Fredric Brown, start with his Edgar-winning The Fabulous Clipjoint. Pretty hard to get, since he's unfortunately been out of print for a couple of decades, but Brown's mysteries, science fiction, and fantasy are definitely worth looking up. He once wrote a story in which the victim is the reader.
I just finished The Fabulous Clip Joint. Fun read. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 01-13-2019, 03:42 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
Next up is Land Sharks, a first novel by local writer Katharine M. Nohr. A female triathlete who is also a lawyer teams up with another lawyer who is also a Hawaiian TV star to solve a high-profile case involving a man who claims he was paralyzed during the Honolulu Olympic triathlon trials. Supposed to be the first of a series. I obtained this book in a novel (heh) way. On Christmas Eve last month, the wife and I attended our neighbor's Christmas party, where there was a gift exchange. You know the kind -- you bring a gift, put it with the others, everyone draws a number etc. I ended up with this book, which on the front had a note stuck on saying the author was here to sign it. "You mean here in Hawaii?" I asked. No, she was there at the party. And she did sign it and included a nice note. So this is one book I can't sell or give away. Hope it's good!

The author is herself a lawyer, an insurance defense attorney. The jacket blurb also describes her as -- and maybe Elendil's Heir can shed some light on exactly what this is -- "a former District Court (per diem) Judge." Not sure what the "per diem" refers to. Temporary? Fill in? The book also seems to be a first edition, published in May 2016, hardback, but already there are three pages of blurbs praising the book in front. I thought those appeared in subsequent printings or the paperback version? And oddly, almost all of them are from officers of insurance professionals' organizations, insurance company executives, physical therapists and athletes, even an "HR Professional." I'm guessing she may have handed out copies to friends and colleagues beforehand for feedback. One of the blurbs suggests Nohr may be the next John Grisham. Well, we'll see. She seems like a very nice lady, and I hope I enjoy the read.
Finished the above book, Land Sharks, by Katharine M. Nohr. This was very good. I enjoyed it immensely. Great story, held my interest from beginning to end. During the Honolulu Olympic trials, a car plows into the bicycling hopefuls, causing death and injury. One seriously injured participant sues the event organizers claiming negligence, and the insurance litigators must prove it was no accident but an intentional criminal act. The "land sharks" in the title refers to overly aggressive attorneys, although lawyers in general are portrayed largely as good guys. Nohr may very well be Hawaii's answer to John Grisham. An insurance attorney herself as well as a sometime judge, she owns her own law firm and one or two other claims agencies and is an expert on sports and triathlon risk management. It's always fun to read of locations I am very familiar with in real life in a novel.

That said, I have to say the editing is terrible. Misspellings, grammatical errors and odd punctuation are all too common throughout. Even a case or two that looks like a Spell Check error such as "candidacy" where "candor" was obviously meant. I blame the publishing house, WD Publishing. It's odd there is no other publishing info at the beginning of the book, no place of publication, nothing like that. I assumed it was published locally, but googling I see the WD stands for Written Dreams, and they are a small house in Green Bay, Wisconsin apparently specializing in new writers. I've seen the same thing with small houses in Bangkok, not much care taken with the editing.

My neighbor who hosted that Christmas party the author and I both attended asked me the other day how I liked the book. I said it was great but a shame about the editing. To my embarrassment, she went and told the author, "Siam Sam loves your book but says the editing is bad." Wonderful. But she apparently took it in stride, telling my neighbor she already knew but that it had been too late to fix. Contract already signed or something. She's generously offered to loan me the other two books in what is a trilogy, already published too, and I think I will take her up on that.

Meanwhile, speaking of John Grisham, next up is his The Rooster Bar. But it will probably be a few days before I can start that, as this will be an exceptionally busy week for me.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:26 AM
SDSAB

This morning I finished Patrick O'Brian's Desolation Island. A very interesting, satisfying book about life aboard a British warship during the Napoleonic Wars.

Also just finished John Scalzi's excellent sf adventure The Collapsing Empire, and have begun the next book in what was supposed to be a two-book series but may, I've read, become a trilogy, The Consuming Fire. Good stuff: political intrigue, hardball mercantilism, religious mysticism and piracy in a distant-future interstellar empire.

Next up: Joe Hill's horror novel Heart-Shaped Box, about which I've heard good things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
...speaking of John Grisham, next up is his The Rooster Bar....
My wife's book club just started that, too.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:18 PM

Finished Robert B. Parker's Old Black Magic by Ace Atkins. While it had some enjoyable moments, the plot of everyone chasing a McGuffin was too convoluted and uninteresting.

Next up: Howards End, by E.M. Forster.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
I just finished The Fabulous Clip Joint. Fun read. Thanks for the suggestion!
I like that fact that one of the crooks is named "Dutch" Reagan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch:..._Ronald_Reagan
Old 01-15-2019, 03:35 AM

Iím listening to Blood Meridian on audiobook. I tried the paperback but got pissed off with McCarthy never using speech marks, which makes it really hard to follow whose saying what. The audiobook is much easier and Iím really liking it. Iím about halfway in at the moment.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:51 AM
Charter Member

I am halfway through Hari Kunzru's White Tears. It is a terrific confection of thriller and ghost story. The writing races along and apparently there are many twists and turns ahead.

I have checked out on Amazon the intro sample for each of Kunzru's other books and look forward to reading them as well. All seem intriguing.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Suitcase Charlie - A Noir Crime Thriller, John Guzlowski
Old 01-16-2019, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
It was SO freakin' good. Five stars.

Next up: Uncommon People: the rise and fall of the rock stars. Recommended by Misnomer. I'm really liking it.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Suitcase Charlie - A Noir Crime Thriller, John Guzlowski

I just sent a sample (of a different book) to my Kindle, and Suitcase Charlie was among the "Top Picks For You" books on the confirmation page! Woah!

Quote:
Next up: Uncommon People: the rise and fall of the rock stars. Recommended by Misnomer. I'm really liking it.
I think that's a first for me in these threads!

Meanwhile, I've sent a sample of The Shadows We Hide to my Kindle. No idea when I'll get around to it, but it's on the list! Did you also read The Life We Bury? Normally I wouldn't be willing to start with the second book in a series, but it seems like the stories aren't connected except for the protagonist...?

Last edited by Misnomer; 01-16-2019 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:00 PM

It's entirely possible that I missed someone mentioning this last year, but I just discovered that Robert Galbraith (aka J.K. Rowling) released book #4 in the Cormoran Strike series in September: Lethal White. I sent a sample to my Kindle, and will most likely start reading it whenever I finally finish The Brethren -- which is taking a while not because of the book itself, but because lately I've been falling asleep without reading first.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misnomer View Post
Meanwhile, I've sent a sample of The Shadows We Hide to my Kindle. No idea when I'll get around to it, but it's on the list! Did you also read The Life We Bury? Normally I wouldn't be willing to start with the second book in a series, but it seems like the stories aren't connected except for the protagonist...?
I did read The Life We Bury and rated it highly also, but it's been so long ago I remembered absolutely nothing about it. So you could read Shadows as a stand-alone. I hope you like it as much as I did.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:56 PM

Finished Howards End, by E.M. Forster. Brought back memories of the English courses I took in college. I kept seeing things I would've written a paper about, had I been assigned this particular book back then.

Now I'm reading Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore, by Robin Sloan.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:26 PM
SDSAB

I finished John Scalzi's excellent sf adventure, The Consuming Fire. A worthy sequel to The Collapsing Empire (with some interesting parallels to Brexit and global climate change, although it's not strictly allegorical), and it ended just abruptly enough that I suspect and hope that a third book will be along eventually.

Gave up on Joe Hill's horror novel Heart-Shaped Box after more than my customary 50 pages. Despite good reviews, I was unimpressed with the writing, and the story itself never really hooked me.

Next: Robert Parker's 1981 Spenser private-eye book, Early Autumn.