Old 04-15-2002, 10:03 PM
Charter Member

Anyone else remember the alternate ending to "Big"?

I was telling a friend the other day that I remembered the Tom Hanks movie ending different when I was younger. I saw it on video when it first came out and swear there is a different ending.

In the version we all have seen, it ends with Josh and his friend walking down the street. Fade to Black.

In the version I remember, it cuts to school and Josh is in class. The teacher introduces a new student named... the girl Josh was in love with. Yep, she went to the fair and asked the machine to become Josh's age. Josh and her have eye contact and they laugh. Fade to black.

The imdb lists this as a possible alternate version in the New Zealand video release. I distinctly remember this(shot for show) in the U.S.

http://us.imdb.com/AlternateVersions?0094737

Anyone else?
Old 04-16-2002, 12:27 AM

You may be confusing two movies. Big came out around the same time as three other movies with similar themes. Every Sunday night, ABC used to show a family-friendly Disney movie. One of these was quite similar to Big. The title escapes me at the moment, but the basic plot is this:

-Boy's geeky friend invents machine designed to age seeds into full grown fruits and vegetables.
-Boy uses machine to make self into an adult, and impersonates the new principal of his school.
-Hilarity ensues he implements the sort of changes a mental 11 or 12 year old would make, were he running a school.
-Boy falls in love with his beautiful teacher
-I'm kind of foggy about what makes him decide to change back, but I'm sure some valuable life lessons were learned.
-Boy reverts to normal age, comes into class the next day to find out that hot teacher has likewise used the machine to regress to his age, and is now a new student in his class.
-Boy's geeky friend shows up as a new science teacher

If anyone else recalls this movie, I'm sure they'll be able to provide the name of the movie and more details. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I know I'm not hallucinating this.
Old 04-16-2002, 05:13 AM

From what I remember, it's been a long time since I saw Big on video, it ends with the same scene as you have described as in the US version here in Kiwiland.
Old 04-16-2002, 06:04 AM
Charter Member

Possible "Vice Versa" with Fred Savage?
Old 04-16-2002, 09:31 AM

Mahaloth, I distinctly remember that alternate ending too. And I'm in the US.
Old 04-16-2002, 10:52 AM

It's the ending I remember airing on television. And I live in Michigan.
Old 04-16-2002, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

I dimly remember reading they contemplated an ending where either the Toms Hanks character stays as an adult (but they didn't want the worried mom casting a pall over the ending) or the Elizabeth Perkins character becoming a girl again so they could grow up together (either not the point of the story, or not believable).

In any case, Elizabeth Perkins should have become a Major Star from this movie.
Old 04-16-2002, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

TOM Hanks, not "Toms." Sheesh.
Old 04-16-2002, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

From the IMDb (www.imdb.com):
Quote:
A home video release of this movie in New Zealand is rumored to have included an alternate ending. The alternate ending shows young Josh sitting in his classroom at school when he turns around to notice a young female classmate of whom he recognises as Susan - who went back to the fairground machine and wished that she was Josh's age. The US DVD release of this film simply shows Josh and Billy walking up their street, then the credits roll in.
No real details, and I suspect that if this were really filmed it would have shown up in the US DVD release. My guess is that it's a misremembered ending from a similar movie.
Old 04-16-2002, 12:12 PM

Well, see, I don't think I'm crazy. I do remember this ending, and it was definitely for Big.

According to the Amazon, the DVD doesn't have many special features. Just a trailer and letterbox formatting.

If they released a Special Edition of the DVD that didn't include the alternate ending, I'd then be more inclined to think that we're all insane.
Old 04-16-2002, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

And I just noticed that the OP had all that stuff from IMDb. Never mind.

Anyone in NZ out there? This should be pretty easy to verify.
Old 04-16-2002, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Theological Ninja
If anyone else recalls this movie, I'm sure they'll be able to provide the name of the movie and more details. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I know I'm not hallucinating this.
I remember that movie too, but not the title. Sorry.
Old 04-16-2002, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

Let me put it this way. I am 100% sure this ending exists for "Big", but am looking for others who have seen it.
Old 04-16-2002, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

Is this the movie you're talking about?

"14 going on 30"
Old 12-25-2011, 03:51 PM

Big Alternate ending is another film...

as said above the film is called 14 going on 30 and has that ending and was made the same year as Big here is the youtube link for the ending...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6783tkwbZw0
Old 12-25-2011, 04:29 PM

Big was my favorite movie as a kid, I watched it hundreds of times. I don't recall ever seeing this alternate ending for it.
Old 12-25-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren1 View Post
as said above the film is called 14 going on 30 and has that ending and was made the same year as Big here is the youtube link for the ending...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6783tkwbZw0
That ending sure fits the OP's description.
Old 12-25-2011, 06:13 PM

Am I the only one who remembers the OTHER alternate ending, in which they both get turned into Zombies?

Joe
Old 12-25-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Yankee View Post
That ending sure fits the OP's description.
Huh? There's no announcement that there's a new student, and the focus of the scene is on the new teacher. In fact, the first part makes the whole thing seem really weird. How does someone get into a class without being the new student?
Old 12-25-2011, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheresgeorge04 View Post
Am I the only one who remembers the OTHER alternate ending, in which they both get turned into Zombies?

Joe
Old 12-25-2011, 06:36 PM

Did they remove the topless scene from Big? I seem to recall a scene where the gf slips her top down and Tom Hanks gets all goofy and silly. Like a 10 year old would. They wind up playing video games instead of making love.

I rewatched this years ago on vhs and didn't see that scene.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
Did they remove the topless scene from Big? I seem to recall a scene where the gf slips her top down and Tom Hanks gets all goofy and silly. Like a 10 year old would. They wind up playing video games instead of making love.

There never was any topless scene in Big.

EVER.

What happened was hanks and Perkins character were going to fuck and they started to undress, rather he started to undress her and she turned the light off and he turned it back on, then the next shot was him coming into work in the BEST MOOD EVAR 'cause he got his dick in some pussy (offscreen) for the first time ever.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Possible "Vice Versa" with Fred Savage?
Like Father Like Son also came out right around the same time as Big and Vice Versa.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:19 PM
Charter Member

I was so glad someone else remembered this and posted about it.......only to discover that this is my thread from 9 1/2 years ago.

I watched the clip from Youtube. Hmmmm....it is similar, but not what I remember. I will concede that it is possible that this is what I saw and got mixed up.

However, my nearly 10 year old memory is identical to mine now. I remember that they were younger than the kids in this movie you linked to. And she didn't slip in and sit next to him; she just stood by the door and smiled and laughed. The final shot of the movie was Josh laughing.

Still, glad to see the clip.
Old 12-26-2011, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
I was so glad someone else remembered this and posted about it.......only to discover that this is my thread from 9 1/2 years ago.
What the-!!! I totally didn't notice that, lol. I almost (almost) actually slapped my knee.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:19 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post

You're also confusing this with an earlier scene, when Tom Hanks first meets Perkins at the toy company, when he collides with her & Heard & Loggia, when she's bending down to pick up the papers she shows enough cleavage that Hanks can see her bra under her blouse. That alone was enough to make him react like a 10-year-old boy!
Old 12-27-2011, 08:23 AM
BANNED

Oops! He was actually a 13-year-old boy! Makes a lot more sense...
Old 12-27-2011, 08:29 AM
BANNED

P.S.

Okay, Wiki says that at the end Josh suggests Perkins use the Fortune machine to become a child too. I don't remember this! Was this in the regular release?
Old 12-27-2011, 09:01 AM

nevermind

Last edited by Munch; 12-27-2011 at 09:02 AM.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haredye View Post
There never was any topless scene in Big.

EVER.

What happened was hanks and Perkins character were going to fuck and they started to undress, rather he started to undress her and she turned the light off and he turned it back on, then the next shot was him coming into work in the BEST MOOD EVAR 'cause he got his dick in some pussy (offscreen) for the first time ever.
That may have been the edited version. There wasn't any nudity in the original, but once she got down to her bra, he placed his hand on her breast and just held it there awkwardly, like he was holding a piece of produce.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail Ants View Post
P.S.

Okay, Wiki says that at the end Josh suggests Perkins use the Fortune machine to become a child too. I don't remember this! Was this in the regular release?
I haven't seen it in years, but I do remember that scene. Perkins I believe is tempted for a second but then says she couldn't go through the teen years again, or something similar.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch View Post
That may have been the edited version. There wasn't any nudity in the original, but once she got down to her bra, he placed his hand on her breast and just held it there awkwardly, like he was holding a piece of produce.
Yep. I assumed that's what aceplace57 meant by 'topless scene.' Not nudity necessarily.

Last edited by planetcory; 12-27-2011 at 11:36 AM.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:21 AM

Yes! I have searched for others!

I was thrilled when I saw the post that someone else had seen the alternate ending to Big. In fact, that was the first version of Big that I ever saw. I saw the "regular" version several times after that on TV and assumed that it had just been edited for TV. It was only a few years ago when it was revealed to me that others don't know about that ending with the kids in the classroom. I have considered the idea that I may have been remembering some other movie, but the ending is very clear in my mind. I just watched the ending to "14 going on 30" and I know that I am NOT confusing those two movies. Possibly another movie? Maybe, but I don't think so...
BTW, I'm from the Midwest, not New Zealand.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:47 AM

Snopes has a take on this. New Zealand again is part of the story, and there is a link to this site that sheds doubt on the existence of this scene.

There were 3 age change movies out that year, so I can see that resulting in confusion. But it's certainly possible if this scene was ever shot that the NZ version had it.

Last edited by TriPolar; 01-26-2012 at 02:49 AM.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch View Post
Since this thread is full of accusations about conflating movies, are you sure you're not remembering the date scene from Birdy and mixing it into your memory of Big?
Old 01-26-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjimm View Post
Since this thread is full of accusations about conflating movies, are you sure you're not remembering the date scene from Birdy and mixing it into your memory of Big?
Nope, that scene is definitely in the movie.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjimm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by interface2x View Post
Nope, that scene is definitely in the movie.
It is in the movie Big, but she does have a her bra on still.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:32 AM

I remember the alternate ending as well. I remember wondering where she was going to live...
Old 01-31-2012, 07:45 PM

I was working at the theaters at the time -- Hanks had just moved up from the inane TV series and was putting out a constant stream of comedy movies. The non-nude scene everyone is debating was from BIG. The ending I recall was simply Hanks and the woman stopping in front of the kid's house and saying goodbye, then Hanks gets out of the car. We see a close-up of the woman's face as she watches him leave, and a surprise as 'we turn around' and see that Hanks has reverted to kid-size and is waving goodbye in adult-sized clothing. Then he turns around and heads toward his front door. Roll credits.

---G!

"I get to be on top!"
Old 01-31-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
From the IMDb (www.imdb.com):

Quote:
A home video release of this movie in New Zealand is rumored to have included an alternate ending. The alternate ending shows young Josh sitting in his classroom at school when he turns around to notice a young female classmate of whom he recognises as Susan - who went back to the fairground machine and wished that she was Josh's age. The US DVD release of this film simply shows Josh and Billy walking up their street, then the credits roll in.
No real details, and I suspect that if this were really filmed it would have shown up in the US DVD release. My guess is that it's a misremembered ending from a similar movie.
That's pretty much exactly the ending described in the OP, practically word-for-word. I can't imagine it being a misremembered ending from a similar movie.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:24 PM

I watched this over the weekend. The ending has the kid returning home in his oversized suit, followed by him and his friend chatting as they roll on down the street, and the credits roll on down the screen.

The evidence is not real strong for the alternate ending, but inconclusive, and mostly points at a different New Zealand version.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Towers View Post
That's pretty much exactly the ending described in the OP, practically word-for-word. I can't imagine it being a misremembered ending from a similar movie.
I can. Reading something like that (it's repeated often online) can trigger a conflated memory with the other movie. There are lots of examples of people confusing two things triggered by someone else's recollection.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:37 PM

I'm gonna have to go with if it's not on youtube it doesn't exist. With a film that popular, somebody would have dug up the NZ vhs by now and put it online.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:51 PM

There has been at least one other thread on this topic after the original (presuming this is the original original), and we have discussed how false memories are formed there and in other threads on this board. This is *exactly* the kind of situation where people misremember things. For the people who claim they are sure their memories are correct because they remember it, gosh-darn-it: sorry, that's just not how memories work. There's no such thing as a pure memory. Every time you revisit a memory you rewrite it. Go read up on Elizabeth Loftus' studies on memory if you are unconvinced.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:47 AM

me too

i remember that ending too. i thought i was crazy. i knew she went back too, i could not figure out why they changed the ending.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:26 AM

I only remember the walking down the street ending, in AUS and only seeing it on tv. Last time it was aired they took the liberty of cutting the scene with a breast. I thought the NZ ending was the one where he meets up with a sheep.

Maybe Zoltar is deciding which ending is most suitable for us to see.

Last edited by Coustralee; 11-02-2012 at 08:29 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

In fact, a large part of the time (and perhaps a majority of the time) when someone asks us about a movie that they vaguely remember and want to know the title of, they're mixing together a couple of different movies or TV shows. The most interesting thing for me is the title 14 Going on 30. That's the 1988 film in which the girl decides to join the guy and become young, as opposed to the 1988 film Big, where she decides not to. Confusingly, there's also a 2004 film 13 Going on 30, in which a 13-year-old girl goes forward in time (not just ages in a moment as in the other films, but actually goes forward in time) to when she is 30. Even more confusingly, either this thread has been going on for ten years or else back in 2002 I wished that it was ten years later.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:48 PM

I live in the UK and I have seen the ending with Susan in the classroom on UK TV as a kid, some 15-20 years ago.
It was out there at one point people and I too cant find anyone else apart from my brother who gas seen it.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:12 PM

It looks to me as if the movie referenced in the YouTube clip is being mushed together in peoples' minds with the ending of "Big." We're talking about two movies from the same time frame with very similar plots, and "14 Going on 30" exactly matches the supposed alternate ending of "Big" while no one can point to an authoritative reference to any alternate ending for the Hanks movie. I'd say case closed - and remember that IMDb is not much more than a moderated wiki when it comes to the 'fun stuff' entries.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by April1704 View Post
I live in the UK and I have seen the ending with Susan in the classroom on UK TV as a kid, some 15-20 years ago.
It was out there at one point people and I too cant find anyone else apart from my brother who gas seen it.
Evidence is that you didn't.

Here's the clip from "14 going on 30" linked to earlier in the thread - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6783tkwbZw0

You've confused the two movies in your memory, which is surprisingly common and easy to do.