Old 01-16-2013, 03:56 PM

No sorry but I have not, it was Big.
I've never even seen 14 going on 30.
When I saw it being refered to in this post, I thought you'd all got confused with 13 going on 30 with Jennifer Garnier, ha ha.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by April1704 View Post
No sorry but I have not, it was Big.
No, it wasn't.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:41 PM

My sister swore up and down, for years, that she had seen a Castle Dracula movie that had three specific characteristics - IIRC, it was Christopher Lee in the title role, had a signature scene in the middle and ended with particular unusual scene. With the help of some film experts, I located the TWO films she was conflating - one starring Lee and having the middle scene, the other starring someone else and having the ending scene. She insists to this day that there is a third film, somehow unlisted in Lee's repertoire and unknown to Castle or Dracula film aficionados, that has both scenes in it.

It's easy to mix up two similar movies. I suggest that April1704 caught the ending of "14 Going on 30" and watched it assuming it was "Big."
Old 01-16-2013, 04:52 PM

Can't win can I?
For whats its worth though I know what I saw and it was Big. Like an earlier post I remember thinking where she was going to live.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:57 PM

Alternative Straight Dope discussion on this topic: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=475863
Old 01-16-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Can't win can I?
For whats its worth though I know what I saw and it was Big.
You're entitled to your memory/opinion.

For the rest of us, it's a case of Occam's Razor: either a very limited number of people saw "Big" with a radically different ending, a version that has no confirmation of its existence or shooting;

or,

Some number of people are thinking of the ending of "13 Going on 30" - which was made at almost the same time, probably alternated with TV showings of "Big" through the 1990s, has almost the same story, and visually makes a very good match with "Big" - and honestly believing it belongs to the latter film.

About the only way to ever prove the first case would be to get a member of the cast or crew to say the schoolroom ending had been filmed.

Last edited by Amateur Barbarian; 01-16-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:04 PM
Charter Member

April1704, I know you don't like this, but people conflate things in memory all the time. Everybody does it. Human memories don't work the way that most people think. Your memory is not a movie camera exactly recording events. It's a big box where many things are thrown together randomly. It's easily possible for things to get tangled together, and it gets more likely the longer ago that the events happened.

Incidentally, I remember you very well from when I lived in the U.K. back in 1987 through 1990. We were very good friends. In fact, I was madly in love with you. I never got anywhere with you though. I was so convinced that I had a chance with you. You probably thought of me as a stalker.

Or . . . have I got you confused with somebody else? My memory does that to me. I throw together people in my mind and can't straighten out which events happened to which people. Oh, well, we all do that.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
For whats its worth though I know what I saw and it was Big.
You'd think that some member of the cast or crew of Big might recall shooting that scene.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:20 AM

No one has seen the alternate ending, becuse it doesn't exist.

Quote:
Hanks had just moved up from the inane TV series
Easy tiger, them's fighten' words - I actually thought Bosom Buddies was hilarious. Very much under-rated.

I was always surprised Peter Scolari didn't make it bigger than he did. I mean, I guess he's best known for the Newhart show, but other than that the only big movie I recall him being in was the voice of one of the characters in The Polar Express (also with Tom Hanks - interesting that as far as I know it's the only movie they've worked together on. Maybe they weren't bosom buddies?)

But I certainly didn't expect Hanks to end up being the biggest box-office star of all time....
Old 01-17-2013, 09:31 AM

Ok ok, lets just agree to disagree.
I may be wrong but I am convinced otherwise, ha ha.
I do agree however that it is strange that it isn't on YouTube, you think it would be.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

This whole thing is reminding me of the situation with Star Wars, the more locial explanation for which seems to be a special print made specifically for drive-in theaters. If an original dirve-in print were to turn up and be viewable, the whole "Luke was watching the battle through binoculars!" and "No, he wasn't!" thing would be solved once and for all.

Having seen Star Wars at a drive-in, I can empathize with April et al., but there doesn't seem to be any "out" with Big.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 01-17-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lute Skywatcher View Post
This whole thing is reminding me of the situation with Star Wars, the more locial explanation for which seems to be a special print made specifically for drive-in theaters. If an original dirve-in print were to turn up and be viewable, the whole "Luke was watching the battle through binoculars!" and "No, he wasn't!" thing would be solved once and for all.

Having seen Star Wars at a drive-in, I can empathize with April et al., but there doesn't seem to be any "out" with Big.
Someone on here claimed they had that alternate Star Wars. Their family owned a cinema or something like that. Has any footage of the recalled scenes surfaced over the years?
Old 01-17-2013, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Gadaí View Post
Someone on here claimed they had that alternate Star Wars. Their family owned a cinema or something like that. Has any footage of the recalled scenes surfaced over the years?
If any of them exist, they would be in a drive-in print, which have (had?) to be different from the standard theater print due to the lighting conditions. I don't recall seeing any of the other scenes, just the battle switching to a long-range view followed by Luke with his binoculars and me wondering what the hell was going on.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ok ok, lets just agree to disagree.
I may be wrong but I am convinced otherwise, ha ha.
I do agree however that it is strange that it isn't on YouTube, you think it would be.
I'm the guy who made this thread 11 years ago and despite having a solid memory like you, I have come to realize that it is another movie and my mind conflated the two. I know; it's shocking, but true.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

IIRC, the someone An Gadaí is thinking of claimed to have an "Episode IV" print from 1977 which, of course, turned out to not be the case.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPress View Post
Some number of people are thinking of the ending of "13 Going on 30" - which was made at almost the same time, probably alternated with TV showings of "Big" through the 1990s, has almost the same story, and visually makes a very good match with "Big" - and honestly believing it belongs to the latter film.
Slight nitpick: "13 Going on 30" didn't alternate with TV showings of "Big" through the 1990s, because it wasn't released until '04; you mean "14 Going on 30", which is a much worse title and a much more obscure film.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
IIRC, the someone An Gadaí is thinking of claimed to have an "Episode IV" print from 1977 which, of course, turned out to not be the case.
I'll search when I'm on my desktop but I think we're talking about different posters.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Wagner View Post
April1704, I know you don't like this, but people conflate things in memory all the time. Everybody does it. Human memories don't work the way that most people think. Your memory is not a movie camera exactly recording events. It's a big box where many things are thrown together randomly. It's easily possible for things to get tangled together, and it gets more likely the longer ago that the events happened.

Incidentally, I remember you very well from when I lived in the U.K. back in 1987 through 1990. We were very good friends. In fact, I was madly in love with you. I never got anywhere with you though. I was so convinced that I had a chance with you. You probably thought of me as a stalker.

Or . . . have I got you confused with somebody else? My memory does that to me. I throw together people in my mind and can't straighten out which events happened to which people. Oh, well, we all do that.
I spent years trying to find a book I read in elementary school - eventually, I realized I was conflating "Islands in the Sky" by Clarke (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islands_in_the_Sky) with "Step to the Stars" by Del Rey. Both involved boys who go to a space station, so it's natural that I confused them.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Is this the whole "Star Wars said Episode IV" in the original release thingy? Wasn't it really in 1981 or so that they added it?
Old 01-18-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
Is this the whole "Star Wars said Episode IV" in the original release thingy? Wasn't it really in 1981 or so that they added it?
Yes. I was misremembering ironically enough.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:54 PM

I just watched the 14 going on 30 clip. I think that I may have confused the two as well. I don't remember the movie at all, but the ending is similar to what I remembered "Big" as. Don't remember the boy becoming the teacher though.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:41 PM
And Full Contact Origami
SDSAB

On the other hand...

...for some years, the wise denizens of the SDMB insisted that conflated memory was in play when people insisted they remembered some ditzy girl answering, "In the butt," when Bob Eubanks asked her, on The Newlywed Game, "What's the weirdest place you've ever had to urge to make whoopee?" Never happened, they said, pointing out that Bob Eubanks himself denied it ever happened and offered to give $10,000 to anyone who could prove him wrong.

It was just faulty memory, said they.

I agreed they were probably right.

But then.... I changed my mind, when the clip was found.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:08 PM

I remember the alternate ending of "Big" and was also confused when I saw the movie again and it was not the ending I remembered.

I have never seen the movie "14 going on 30" (never heard of it, I did not watch TV movies when I was a kid) and that clip does not match my memory of the end scenes from Big. I specifically remember the Josh-as-a-kid character's reaction to the new girl in class when he realized it was her.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:33 PM

Somewhere, Sir William of Ockham is laughing.

It seems absolutely evident, from all that's been presented, that it's more likely a small number of people are conflating another very similar movie with Big than that some enormous number have forgotten there was an alternate ending.

Is there a single Doper out there who has a line to Tom Hanks, Penny Marshal, Gary Ross or even David Moscow (young Josh)?

ETA: I just found David on Facebook; maybe someone who FBs could get him to answer.

Last edited by Amateur Barbarian; 02-21-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:42 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricker View Post
On the other hand...

...for some years, the wise denizens of the SDMB insisted that conflated memory was in play when people insisted they remembered some ditzy girl answering, "In the butt," when Bob Eubanks asked her, on The Newlywed Game, "What's the weirdest place you've ever had to urge to make whoopee?" Never happened, they said, pointing out that Bob Eubanks himself denied it ever happened and offered to give $10,000 to anyone who could prove him wrong.

I half-way changed my mind on that one. I will concede that it happened, but that a few private viewings of the clip ballooned into a widespread belief that it was seen by many over the air, which could not have happed due to censorship at the time. The show was not live, and it wouldn't have been aired with that clip sill in.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:57 PM

Did I see a different version of Big? The version you guys saw has that iconic scene where they're in a toy store dancing on a giant guitar playing Classical Gas, right?
Old 02-21-2013, 03:39 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drastic_quench View Post
Did I see a different version of Big? The version you guys saw has that iconic scene where they're in a toy store dancing on a giant guitar playing Classical Gas, right?
No-this is the other one where they dance up and down a giant flute, plugging the holes with their bare asses.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:21 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

They released a special DVD with an extended version full of cut scenes. If there was an alternate ending filmed it would have been on that version. It wasn't because it doesn't exist.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:27 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPress View Post
ETA: I just found David on Facebook; maybe someone who FBs could get him to answer.
217 likes. Either someone set the page up in his name or that's really embarrassing. Either way I would feel bad trying to contact the page.

ETA never mind it was a fan page.

Last edited by Loach; 02-21-2013 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiendish Astronaut View Post
Alternative Straight Dope discussion on this topic: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=475863
I remember that other topic used to have a different ending where the alternate Big ending does exist.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
ETA never mind it was a fan page.
Discovered that past the edit window. I hate FB pages that are fanwank avatars of the real person.

ETA I am confident enough of the conclusions not to need an answer, but if there's a Doper with the right connections... one authoritative answer from Hanks, Marshall, Ross or even Moscow would be nice to have.

Last edited by Amateur Barbarian; 02-21-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
On the other hand...

The actual event wasn't terribly similar to the event that everyone had strong memories of - for one thing the word "butt" wasn't used. http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/newlywed.asp
Old 02-21-2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:
On the other hand...

And I'd change my mind here if a clip was actually found. But considering there's no evidence of this (other than people claiming to remember it) - in an age where you can find the most obscure videos ever on Youtube - I feel safe saying the alternate ending never happened.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
On the other hand...

First of all, it was true that no one ever saw an episode of The Newlywed Game where a contestant answered "In the butt, Bob." In the clip that was found, the woman answered "Is it in the ass?" with the last few words being bleeped out for broadcast. So while it seems very likely this episode was the inspiration for the legend, specific details that people swore they remembered seeing do not match the clip. Their memories were faulty.

Second, in this case a clip has also been found. The end of 14 Going On 30 closely matches the description of the mysterious alternate ending of Big that people swear they remember seeing, it's just not from the movie that people remembered it as being from.

In the absence of any solid evidence that an alternate ending to Big existed, what seems more likely -- that some people saw the ending of 14 Going On 30 and are misremembering the details, or that there really is an alternate ending of Big that was seen by many people on television but that no one managed to catch it on VHS, it was not included in the DVD release, and has never been confirmed by anyone involved with the production of the film? Sure, if the alleged alternate ending of Big does ever come to light then I'll become a believer, but right now it looks vastly more likely that the former explanation is correct and that people are simply mixing up two similar movies.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Norder View Post
There has been at least one other thread on this topic after the original (presuming this is the original original), and we have discussed how false memories are formed there and in other threads on this board. This is *exactly* the kind of situation where people misremember things. For the people who claim they are sure their memories are correct because they remember it, gosh-darn-it: sorry, that's just not how memories work. There's no such thing as a pure memory. Every time you revisit a memory you rewrite it. Go read up on Elizabeth Loftus' studies on memory if you are unconvinced.
Exactly.

People who distinctly and specifically member the alternate ending: I completely empathize. I had the clearest, most (ahem) detailed memory of Eric Northman being totally naked in book 4 of the Sookie Stackhouse novels. Like, I not only remember the idea, but I swore I could remember reading the words on the page. Until I went back and read the chapter to prove I was right to some doubter. I was wrong.

It's how our brains work. No assumptions of dumbness or insanity required. Your mind could easily manufacture a very clear memory of actors from movie A doing a scene from movie B, with a few variances thrown in by your own thoughts and feelings.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:31 PM

i have watched the alternate ending for a 100% fact

Christmas 2011 in the uk I watched big for the first time on national television and I can assure you the ending scene was the little girl in a classroom with josh. I have just watched this film on sky movies on demand and was very confused why there was an alternative ending where they was walking up the road with the bike, I even fastforwarded past the credits expecting to find an extra scene at the end. This is proof there is an alternative ending becauase I have not watched any of the conflicting films mentioned in the thread and I am only 19 and would not have watched the movie when it was first released. I have just asked my mom and brother who saw the film on christmas and they both remember an alternative ending in the classroom.

Last edited by cyren hatton 1993; 02-27-2013 at 10:34 PM. Reason: missing information
Old 02-27-2013, 10:56 PM
Charter Member

cyren hatton 1993, is this the ending scene you watched?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6783tkwbZw0
Old 02-28-2013, 12:23 AM

I honestly think this thread should be locked, because every few months someone is going to come along and explain their irrefutable memories of the alternate ending.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I honestly think this thread should be locked, because every few months someone is going to come along and explain their irrefutable memories of the alternate ending.
It's taking longer than we thought.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Maybe, just maybe, they are correct. This is one of the more interesting on-going threads on this board and I for one would hate to see it locked on the small chance these guys might be right.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:49 AM

Tagged
Old 02-28-2013, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate View Post
Maybe, just maybe, they are correct.
They're not. You'd think the actors and directors might remember shooting those scenes if it actually happened?
Old 02-28-2013, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

I thought I remembered that ending, too, but after watching the 14-Going-On-30 clip, I'm sure I was conflating the two movies. I don't recall ever seeing that movie, but it lines up exactly with my memories. So I'm satisfied that's the answer. Memory is a funny thing. I've found myself conflating memories of my childhood all the time, and I have no reason to believe this isn't another instance of it.

In 2002, I would have still been a little skeptical, but in 2013, with all and sundry up on Youtube and Vimeo and other video hosting sites, I cannot believe that such a much-talked about and purportedly much-seen video has not shown up anywhere. Even Wikipedia states on the 14-Going-On-30 page that the ending to this movie is often confused for a lost alternate ending to Big. (And, yes, I know that hardly makes it definitive.)

Occam's razor says conflated memory.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
They're not. You'd think the actors and directors might remember shooting those scenes if it actually happened?
Have we confirmed that they do not?

The wikipedia reference is probably based on this thread.

I am SURE I am not conflating Big with the 14-going-on-30 movie. That movie's ending does not at all match my memories of the scene. I won't deny the possibility I am confusing it with something else, but I guarantee it was not caused by 14-going-on-30, a movie I have never seen or heard of.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling Archer View Post
a movie I have never seen or heard of.
I would have said exactly the same thing before this thread.

But it is possible you're conflating it with something else, too. I'm serious, in 2013, what is the likelihood that not one single person has found this alternate ending that so many people have purported to have seen?

ETA: I'll be honest. I don't remember the fade out ending to Big. What I have in my memory is the ending this thread is about. It just doesn't make any sense to me that if my memories were correct, there is no evidence anywhere of it.

Last edited by pulykamell; 02-28-2013 at 10:50 AM.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
Honest question - has any evidence been presented in this thread that the actors and/or Penny Marshall has been asked and said it doesn't exist?

I might have missed it, or might have a faulty memory, but I don't remember it.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bup View Post
I might have missed it, or might have a faulty memory, but I don't remember it.
I believe the evidence has been presented in other threads or via links, but I can't find it right now.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyren hatton 1993 View Post
Christmas 2011 in the uk I watched big for the first time on national television and I can assure you the ending scene was the little girl in a classroom with josh. I have just watched this film on sky movies on demand and was very confused why there was an alternative ending where they was walking up the road with the bike, I even fastforwarded past the credits expecting to find an extra scene at the end. This is proof there is an alternative ending becauase I have not watched any of the conflicting films mentioned in the thread and I am only 19 and would not have watched the movie when it was first released. I have just asked my mom and brother who saw the film on christmas and they both remember an alternative ending in the classroom.
If they just showed the alternate ending in the UK in 2011, why can't you show us the video clip anywhere? Why doesn't anyone have any film of this thing? I mean, it was apparently just broadcast two years ago in a major market, where people have recording devices.

If this really was broadcast, you should be able to find a video clip of the alternate scene. I believe that the reason you can't find a video clip of the alternate scene is that it doesn't exist, there was a similar scene in a similar movie, and people conflated the scenes, and then talked about the conflated scene, so now even people who didn't see the other movie have a memory of the conflated scene.

The fact that you report seeing the alternate scene is not proof that there is such an alternate scene. Finding the video clip and posting it to youtube would be proof.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:19 PM

Alternate Ending is real and was better

The girl coming in to his class is DEFINITELY the alternate ending to Big. I grew up in Indonesia (near Australia/New Zealand so I guess that makes sense) and watched that movie ALL the time. Then, when we left all our Beta-Max there and got a VHS version of the movie in the US... I freaked out when I saw the "walking down the street" ending. There is no confusing two different movies going on here. There are two endings out there, and the US version is clearly the only one of anyone has any real evidence of. I don't know why they won't release the alternate ending on the DVD. It's a real shame - it was a very sweet ending.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:33 PM

It would appear that we've moved from Big to Groundhog's Day.